PDA

View Full Version : Hit Points[Variant, PEACH]

batsofchaos
2006-08-25, 01:32 PM
Hit points are a rather common topic for contention on these boards due to as they are written a fighter could be hit by so many arrows he'd look like a sea urchin before dying, while a commoner can be taken out by one. The current alternative is wound points/vitality points a la Star Wars D20. This usually sparks a debate about realism, proponents for VP citing this system as far less insane, while detractors state it makes combat too deadly. I developed a fairly simple re-tooling of the current HP system for my campaign that allows a more realistic fight, without making the PCs as vulnerable to 'lucky shots' like they are with Vitality Points.

(note, I posted an outline of this system elsewhere to make a point, thought I should elaborate here and get some critiques)

The main reason I developed this is because when describing melee, a loss of hit points didn't necessarily mean the character was wounded. Maybe they dodged the blow entirely, it glanced off equipment, struck but didn't cut deep, etc., but the character took an HP loss because they 'expended energy' or some such reasoning. A lot of people I've talked to agree with this way of playing, basically boiling down fluff-play to a player only receiving a couple of wounds before going down, regardless of level. This is all well and good, but where this system doesn't work for me is concerning Nonlethal damage. If the judgement call is that the PC dodged the blow, but lost some energy doing it, why on Earth would they lose a different type of energy dependant on whether they dodged a knife or a fist?

My solution:

Characters receive HP at the same rate as per RAW. However, the first hit die is listed as Mortal Hit Points (MHP), and all additional dice are listed as Dodge Hit Points (DHP). If the PC's constitution score were to be raised (this includes a temporary raise due to magic or raging), any bonus HP would be considered MHP (as well as HP from the toughness feat), but these would otherwise remain a static number. For monsters, and PCs with racial HD, all racial HP are mortal HP. In play, as attacks cause damage DHP are removed and the fluff is adjudicated as the character dodged, or otherwise avoided being wounded but lost energy as a result. Once DHP have been lost and the character only has MHP left, hits start being wounds.

Exceptions:

Critical hits, hits that require a fortitud save due to massive damage, and sneak attacks all result in wounds to the PC. However, this is purely a fluff rule; no damage is removed from MHP if it can be instead removed from DHP. These wounds don't necessarily make a 'devastating wound,' as are usually described, they could just be a nasty gash to the arm or some such. Thought process is it's 'critical' and does a lot of damage because it's more likely to slow a player down.

Nonlethal Damage:

Up to the point where the PC has exhausted their DHP, there is no mechanical difference between lethal and nonlethal damage. When receiving nonlethal damage either from being hit or from fatigue rules, it's counted as regular damage to be removed from DHP. Once there are no more DHP, nonlethal damage comes back into play and is adjudicated as per RAW as if the character's maximum hit points were their MHP total.

Result:

You have a character with the exact same number of hit points, can take the exact same number of hits, and have the exact same lethality as the rules currently outline, but gets killed after getting wounded only a handful of times. Best of both worlds, IMO.

Thoughts? Comments? Horse-shoes?

Peregrine
2006-08-25, 01:47 PM
Hmm... so basically it's a way of explicitly stating which hit points are 'shrug off the blows' (or dodge them, in this case, which doesn't quite match with the rules' idea of dodging being part of AC) and which are 'take the pain'?

It's a good idea, but I'd only see myself using it as a guideline. Too many bits of the existing rules and flavour assume that a hit is a hit, just maybe not a hard one.

NullAshton
2006-08-25, 01:55 PM
Seems good, except nonlethal damage is more lethal. If you have non-lethal damage stay the same, and the character becomes unconscious when mortal hit points and dodge hit points added together equal nonlethal hitpoints, then you can punch someone a couple of times then use lethal attacks, not worrying about killing them. Maybe they got knocked out with the flat of the blade on accident.

Still think vitality system is better. Although, alternity system is even better... now if only there was a way to convert alternity system to D&D...

batsofchaos
2006-08-25, 03:10 PM
Hmm... so basically it's a way of explicitly stating which hit points are 'shrug off the blows' (or dodge them, in this case, which doesn't quite match with the rules' idea of dodging being part of AC) and which are 'take the pain'?

It's a good idea, but I'd only see myself using it as a guideline. Too many bits of the existing rules and flavour assume that a hit is a hit, just maybe not a hard one.

That's all it's really there for is a guideline. One can easily say that the exceptions section can include anything that's obviously a hit (example: Magic Missile). Also, I just used dodging as an example. Shrugging off the blows is just as valid.

Seems good, except nonlethal damage is more lethal. If you have non-lethal damage stay the same, and the character becomes unconscious when mortal hit points and dodge hit points added together equal nonlethal hitpoints, then you can punch someone a couple of times then use lethal attacks, not worrying about killing them. Maybe they got knocked out with the flat of the blade on accident.

Still think vitality system is better. Although, alternity system is even better... now if only there was a way to convert alternity system to D&D...

I don't quite see what you're saying about nonlethal attacks. If anything, I think it's easier to accidentally kill them. I mean, let's say a PC has about 15 HP (fighter type, good constitution), and 15 nonlethal HP. At higher levels, it'd be hard to figure out when to switch lethal to nonlethal without accidentally killing them.

Matthew
2006-08-25, 04:52 PM
I was thinking about using a pretty much identical system to this for a while (and also one where Mortal Hit Points were equal to a Character's Constitution), but I realised that since there were no consequences it was fairly pointless to bother with explicitly stating such things, especially as they are entirely inferable from the combat system itself as it stands. I certainly admire the desire to do this sort of thing, but I don't think this would be the final answer.

Alternative Proposition

An alternate interpretation that I developed for 2.x, after discarding a one very similar to this, was to only count a character as wounded if he lost all of his Hit Points. In this context, wounded would mean being injured so that the character is actually affected. All other hits would be discounted as misses or minor injuries and the like.
A player would record the negative score to which he was originally reduced (i.e. before round to round bleeding) and apply that as a negative modifier to all future rolls (assuming that they survive). A character must rest for ten days to reduce his penalty by one point, but a Spell of the appropriate level would reduce all penalties.

e.g.

Boris the Brave is reduced to -4 by a blow from an Ogre. His friends are able to stabalise him and restore him to positive Hit Points. However, until he rests for ten days he applies -4 to all Saves, Attacks and Skill Checks (after which he is improved to -3).
If the party had access to a 4th Level Cure or the equivalent they could remove these penalties entirely, otherwise the penalties cannot be removed until his wounds heal to a point where they can be (i.e. after 10 days a 3rd Level Cure will remove the penalties, after 20 days a 2nd Level Cure will remove the penalties and so on).

It's worked nicely in the past.

batsofchaos
2006-08-25, 06:09 PM
I was thinking about using a pretty much identical system to this for a while (and also one where Mortal Hit Points were equal to a Character's Constitution), but I realised that since there were no consequences it was fairly pointless to bother with explicitly stating such things, especially as they are entirely inferable from the combat system itself as it stands. I certainly admire the desire to do this sort of thing, but I don't think this would be the final answer.

I understand where you're coming from on this, since it's mostly a fluff rule. However, the main reason for it to even have a mechanical rule is to change the way nonlethal damage works.