PDA

View Full Version : 4E Avenger

herrhauptmann
2009-04-07, 01:32 AM
Hey all,
I'm working on a level 6 Deva Avenger (Censure retribution) for an occassional game in my area. I played him once right after the PHB2 came out, but have decided I want/need to change him.
-Things I need to change: Accidentally bought too much stuff. Carried a craghammer when I'm not proficient with superior melee weapons.
-Things I want to change: Had teh melee training feat (int or wis to att and dam on BASIC melee attacks). All my powers use int or wis anyway, and in the module we played, I didn't do a single basic melee attack. (It was fun too, Drow sorceror, dragonborn sorceror (they were different types) and my Avenger.)

I used the point buy out of the phb which gave me at level 6, str 12, dex 12, con 11, int 18, wis 18, cha 10. We were allowed to choose a 5th level item, 6th level, and 7th level, as well as having the cash to purchase a single 6th level item.

So my current feats are Auspicious lineage, Guaranteed Retribution, Improved Armor of Faith, and a fourth that is currently empty.

Chosen items: +2 Vigorous resolve vestments
+1 symbol of battle, +2 weapon
Purchased items are: Belt of vigor, +1 amulet protect (did have health, but that put me over cash limit)

So my request to you playgrounders. What is a good choice for that last feat (I've been contemplating leather armor proficiency), and good alternative item lists (neat stuff I've seen, Armor: bold victory, enduring spirit, panher spirit, and bloodthread. Symbols of either battle or power)

It shouldn't matter much, but here's my powers as well.
At will: Bond retribution, radiant vengeance
L1 Enc: Shared madness, Avenging Echo
L1 Daily: Temple of Light
L2 Util: Distracting flare
L3 Enc: Halo of Fire
L5 Daily: Bond foresight (the reason for the symbol of power. It is a save ends power)
L6 Util: Wrath Divine. Choosing a power based on getting hit badly isn't the best choice, but it can make for great turn arounds:

edit: Shortened post by removing offtopic ramblings

herrhauptmann
2009-04-07, 02:04 PM
C'mon, hasn't anyone here played a Censure of Retribution Avenger?

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-07, 02:34 PM
Patience, grasshopper, it's only been an hour. :smalltongue:

Obligatory CharOp Link (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1161623)

Darth Stabber
2009-04-07, 03:16 PM
Their is a pursuit Avenger in my current group, and I must recommend Righteous Rage of Tempus, while simultaneously recommend against the same feat. It's brokeness is legendary. Avengers don't miss, tempus says minor action if the next attack hits, It crits once per encounter. Roar. Aside form that, Proficiency with Executioner's Axe FTW.

herrhauptmann
2009-04-07, 03:18 PM
Edit: I'll stop bitching now.

Blackfang108
2009-04-07, 03:22 PM
90 Views over 13 hours and the only response was me complaining about no responses.:smallannoyed:
Oh, and I found the thread at the bottom of the second page when I posted.

It happens.

Frequently.

RTGoodman
2009-04-07, 03:26 PM
It happens.

Frequently.

Indeed. I have looked at the thread several times, but I don't know anything about playing Devas or Avengers yet. I'm off to work now, but I may pull out the ol' PHB2 (or D&DI Compendium) when I get back and take a look for ya, though.

The CharOp Avenger Handbook that Oracle posted is probably a good start though - I usually glance through those kinds of handbooks when I make characters just to take a look at what sucks, what's okay, and what's overpowered.

herrhauptmann
2009-04-07, 03:26 PM
Darth:
Righteous Rage of Tempus, is that a channel divinity feat from Players Guide to Faerun? Or Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide?

And now the part I cringe to tell you:
The biggest problem with this character, is the roleplaying hook I chose for him. It dates to when I first read about the changes to the Faerun pantheon. I decided I'd make a character who has decided, "I'll bring back Mystra!" which is doable since Demigod is now a viable epic goal.
On the downside, it cuts me off from all the channel divinity feats. Were this still 3.5, I'd actually call it a 'flaw' if a character chose that in a game.

Wizard_Tom
2009-04-07, 03:49 PM
Honestly not being able to take a Channel Divinity Feat isn't that restricting. Righteous Rage of Tempus is an extremely over-powered feat as an avenger, and unless you are going for total optimization I wouldn't bother taking it. Seeing as how you have a concept already, I'd suggest talking to your DM and see if you can't work in something like your character having the last remaining remnant of Mystra housed in his body. With that, it would not be unfeasible to homebrew a channel divinity for Mystra and allow your character to take it. But that's only if you are dead set on having a channel divinity.

For feats I'd consider picking up a superior weapon proficiency like Fullblade or Executioner's Axe. Leather armor prof isn't bad, but you want to be able to be hit as a retri avenger so you get your bonus damage. Other interesting things you could take are Wizard multi-class (very appropriate for the scion of Mystra) or maybe pick up ritual caster.

EDIT: Swordmage may not be a bad option either if you like defense. It'll give you training in arcana and a +1 AC per day for the duration of the encounter. Even crazier, you could take Bastard sword prof and swordmage and switch between 1 and 2 hands as it is beneficial. You'd lose out on some damage but gain flexibilty.

EDIT2: So I was sitting here thinking and I came up with an idea for a Mystra Channel Divinity

Channel Divinity: Mystra's Magic
Choose a level 1 at-will arcane attack power. You can use this power as a channel divinity option as listed in the power's description, except the power may use your holy symbol as the implement instead of the normal implement available.

RTGoodman
2009-04-07, 03:51 PM
Righteous Rage of Tempus, is that a channel divinity feat from Players Guide to Faerun? Or Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide?

It's from FRPG. Minor Action; Channel Divinity power; If the next attack you make with a weapon before the end of your next turn hits the target, it becomes an automatic critical hit. It's among the most powerful abilities in 4E.

herrhauptmann
2009-04-07, 10:18 PM
Hmm, hadn't thought of multiclassing to wizard.

For a superior weapon, are two handers ok? I know many several of my abilities require me to be in light or no armor, as well as not having a shield. If so, either the full blade or the executioners axe. :)

Wizard_Tom
2009-04-08, 07:38 AM
I'm Avenger seems to have been designed to wield 2-handed weapons. As far as superior weapon selection, Fullblade is nice with a +3 to hit, 1d12 damage and high crit. The executioner's axe trades +1 to hit for brutal 2.

I'm sorry I can't provide any Ret Avenger specific stuff, I've only played a pursuit avenger and he's far from optimized (taking 5 feats for flavor reasons at level 8 will do that).

Awesomologist
2009-04-08, 07:52 AM
I posted a sample overview of my Deva Avenger (Censure of Retribution) multi-class Cleric over at the WotC Forums (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=18281716#post18281716) last night if you want to take a look at a few ideas.

herrhauptmann
2009-04-12, 02:37 PM
Thank you all for your help. It has been much appreciated.

We played last week, my avenger, and I think a warden and a shaman. The other two are both still new to 4E and D&D, so every ounce of power I could squeeze out of character was needed.
Encountered some traps, as well as some 4 armed skeleton. It probably would've killed one of us if I hadn't crit'ed with Halo of Fire. 50 points of damage in one shot.

Here's my choices:
Feats
Improved armor of Faith
Guaranteed Retribution
Weapon Proficiency: Executioners Axe (That brutal 2/high crit saved us)
Mystras Blessing: Homebrew feat as suggested above. Choose a level 1 at-will arcane attack power. You can use this power as a channel divinity option as listed in the power's description, except the power may use your holy symbol as the implement instead of the normal implement available. Magic Missile. When I have the money for an Orb, I'll change that to something different.

Items:
+2 Scintillation robes
Walking Wounded cloak
Belt of Vigor
+2 Dynamic Executioners Axe.
Symbol of Battle +1
3 healing potions
2 Augment whetstones