PDA

View Full Version : King of smack???

Samb
2009-04-07, 09:12 PM
This character finishes with a base attack of +18 and a manifester level of 17. With overchannel you get to 20. This is enough to get you to 5d6 claws, attacking at +18/+18. Now, add in expansion +2 (6d6, 8d6) and morphic weapons (12d6). Then add in rapidstrike and improved rapidstrike: 6 claws at 12d6 each, +18/+18/+13/+8/+8/+8. Rapidstrike gives you 1 extra natural attack at -5, improved rapidstrike (my interpretation) gives you up to 3 more, each at a further -5. Now add in claws of the vampire, and you have...

THE KING OF SMACK.
Capable of dishing out 72d6 in a single round, and healing half of that back. Use karmic strike with impunity because you are healing 6d6 hp for each hit you score, further cranking up your damage total.
Assuming a strength of 33 (14 base, +4 morphic body, +6 item, +4 huge size from expansion, +5 inherent), a total str mod of +11.

13 claws +29/+29/+29/+29/+29/+29/+29/+29/+29/+24/+19/+19/+19 - 12d6+11 (x13), half returned as healing
1 bite +24 - 4d6+4d8+5
4 tentacles +24/+24/+24/+24 - 4d8+5 (x4)

for fullround damage of 156d6+20d8+168 = 804 damage.

Now assume 2 standard actions + 2 move actions = 2 fullround actions.

1608 damage. Now add in sadism... you get the idea.

I don't get this build. Especially the bolded part. If I am reading improved rapidstrike right, you should only have 10 claws (5 for each) since it specifically states you only get extra 4 max. Is there something I am missing like turning into a choker for the extra standard attack (still only 2 more not 3)?

TheDarkOne
2009-04-07, 11:49 PM
I don't get this build. Especially the bolded part. If I am reading improved rapidstrike right, you should only have 10 claws (5 for each) since it specifically states you only get extra 4 max. Is there something I am missing like turning into a choker for the extra standard attack (still only 2 more not 3)?

If you go to the post on the wotc boards (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=227556), right above the sentence that starts "assuming a strength...." you'll find:

Even more abuse: This build takes advantage of every broken trick you can use with the Elan. With aberration+metamorphosis+metamorphic transfer, you can do a lot of other useful things, such as turning into a beholder or a choker... or a SHARN. Sharns are aberrations, and get 2 standard actions and (with hustle) 2 move actions in a round. They also have 9 arms. Now add in Form of Doom, Bite of the Wolf, and Rapidstrike, and you have a WHOLE LOTTA DAMAGE.

Samb
2009-04-09, 11:45 PM
I was considering making this build but I have no idea how unarmed combat works.

Do I always get one attack from each claw? If I had a BAB of 6/1 would I still only get 1 per claw or 2? If i move/charge in do I only get to attack with one claw like TWF?

Zincorium
2009-04-10, 12:16 AM
Natural attacks (not unarmed, that works just like a sword or whatnot) do not get additional attacks from high BAB . This is one of the key weaknesses of natural attacks compared to others. Rapidstrike, and improved rapid strike, are in my opinion an attempt at correcting that, but having re-read the improved version again, I could not say how it works at all.

You get all claw attacks when making a full attack action. When using other sorts of actions, such as charging or the attack action, you only get the one, as per normal rules, except if you have pounce or something similar. All

This is not particularly important, as a psychic warrior should be using Psionic Lion's charge- which is more or less the same as pounce.

Additionally, to clarify if it's needed, as your primary weapon, the claws all operate at your full base attack bonus and use your full strength bonus to damage, but if you have another primary natural weapon, they'll take -5 (which can be reduced by multiattack and imp. mutltiattack) and only add half of your strength bonus (and you're stuck with that).

Chronos
2009-04-10, 12:36 AM
Natural attacks (not unarmed, that works just like a sword or whatnot) do not get additional attacks from high BAB . This is one of the key weaknesses of natural attacks compared to others.On the other hand, you can make one attack with each natural weapon, no matter how many of them you have, and the penalties never get worse than -5. So if you can get, say, six claws, a bite, a gore, two tentacles, and a tail slap, then you can get 11 attacks per round. And if you're using a weapon in addition to your natural attacks, then you can make your full number of attacks from BAB with your weapon, plus one from each of your natural attacks at -5 (with the exception of a natural attack on the same limb holding the weapon).

Zincorium
2009-04-10, 12:48 AM
On the other hand, you can make one attack with each natural weapon, no matter how many of them you have, and the penalties never get worse than -5. So if you can get, say, six claws, a bite, a gore, two tentacles, and a tail slap, then you can get 11 attacks per round. And if you're using a weapon in addition to your natural attacks, then you can make your full number of attacks from BAB with your weapon, plus one from each of your natural attacks at -5 (with the exception of a natural attack on the same limb holding the weapon).

Granted, which is why having a bite attack or tentacles is a good thing no matter what weapons you fight with.

But with secondary attacks, the half strength damage, small die size, and 1 for 1 power attack means you're not going to be doing all that much damage. Primary attacks, if they're your focus, should be as numerous as you can make them, secondary attacks are the gravy and no one should eat just gravy (ecch).

Person_Man
2009-04-10, 08:20 AM
It's also worth noting that there are many potential King of Smack like combos out there. The essential elements are:

1) Healing whenever you hit enemy (There's at least 4 different magical items that do this, some Crusader stances/manuevers, two psionic powers, and I think some spells). It also helps if you have DR, temporary hit points which refresh every round, etc.

2) A way of generating extra attacks (Karmic Strike, Robilar's Gambit, Headlong Rush, whip, several class abilities).

So you can scale your build to any campaign. It need not be fully optimized.

Samb
2009-04-10, 10:18 AM
I was thinking using synad instead of élan since both are aberrations. Problem is getting the 15 BAB for improved rapidstrike and form of doom.

I was hoping to use linked power and shism/multitask to get my buffs quickly. Can I stack the power strength of my enemy on my Attacks as well?