PDA

View Full Version : Fan-service monster du jour:  The Orz

Delcan
2006-04-06, 01:14 AM
(Phew, this was a lot. But as a mental exercise, and an excuse to pander to my own desire for slavish fanservice, I give you a D&D rendition of a sci-fi creature, no less. Fans of Star Control will recognize this strange, vaguely ominous race...)

Despite the burgeoning state of modern magic, very little is yet known about worlds beyond the Material Plane. Their alien, inhospitable natures make travel and exploration a near-impossibility, to say nothing of the general hostility of their denizens. Even the Upper Planes, for all their beauty and benevolence, are charged with a nature that can make them inhospitable for even the most righteous of the living. Which is not to be said that adventurous mages and priests don't try; indeed, many obsess over new, bizarre worlds, different and distant from our own, driven by the urge for discovery and exploration.
Some explore too far.
The city of Andros was populated by the most learned of scholars and sages not very long ago. This shining metropolis was home to some of the greatest minds of our time, all devoted to the study of the planes, and new means of reaching them. It is known from letters that were sent just months before the catastrophe that the higher Cabals of the Infinite Worlds had stumbled upon a new means of folding space and opening windows, and sometimes pinhole portals, to what they called alternatively "The Outside" or "The Other Spaces". Not much is known about the new plane they discovered; notes and tomes that contained details of what they found have been mysteriously burned, shredded, or have simply disappeared into obscurity. What is known is that soon after the Cabal discoveries, the city's elders soon became agitated enough to seal the city walls, allowing in no new students to their universities. For weeks, a hastily-assembled and growing campground of squatters waited outside Andros' opaque arcane barriers, hoping for a sign that they could join the studies.
What happened next is unknown. Tales from bards and wary travellers say that Andros and everything around it in a five-mile radius was discovered utterly destroyed, down to the last blade of grass. The walls of the city had crumbled to dust and its wards lay disjoined, as if an unstoppable army had razed it, and that the inner libraries showed the signs of spellfire and arcane combat right to the tallest towers; but no trace could be found of enemy movement into the city, even by the most powerful divinations. It was as if whatever force had destroyed Andros had simply arrived inside the city itself, despite the city's powerful barriers against teleportation. Not a single body was found - not even a stray speck of blood.
Just two days after the first scout discovered the circle of destruction and the ruins of Andros, life resurged into the annihilated region. Grass grew, trees shot up from nothing, and birds sang, though most say that there is somethingg strangely different about the life that has regrown. The grass is just a shade of color off, or the birdsong sounds slightly stilted, unsettled. The blasted ruins of Andros, and the ashen campsite around it, vanished... and in its place a new city rose up, almost identical to the old, except for the strange, almost organic stone architecture.
And the best-known bard's tale tells of the brave, and perhaps foolish, young adventurer who first stepped into New Andros, and made first contact with the Orz.

ORZ
Medium* Outsider (Extraplanar)
HD: 5d8+5 (28 hp)
Speed: 30 ft. (with armor), swim 20 ft.
Init: +4
AC: 20 (+2 natural, +8 armor), touch 10 flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+12
Attack: Slam +13 melee (1d8+7)
Full Attack: Two slams +13 melee (1d8+7) and bite +0 melee (1d3-1)
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, contagious insight
Special Qualities: Blindsense 120 ft., damage reduction 5/-, outsider traits, alien nature, force of will, living armor, telepathic link, incomprensible
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +13
Abilities: STR 8* DEX 11* CON 13 INT 23 WIS 17 CHA 7
Feats: Iron Will, Improved Initiative
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) +13, Knowledge (local) +7, Knowledge (the planes) +14, Sense Motive +15, Spot +15, Swim +15
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, *fingers* (5-12), *pair* (10-24), or *friends* (25-60)
Alignment: None (see below)
Challenge Rating: 5
Level Adjustment: --
*see "Living Armor"

Inside the bulky, headless suit of armor before you floats a bubble of strange, viscous liquid. Inside the bubble is a green, beaky, fishlike creature not unlike a parrotfish. Two eyestalks end in wide, unblinking yellow eyes, and behind its gaping gill slits are four fin-like fingers, touching against red sigils inside its shell.

The Orz are most likely visitors from beyond the known planes, this much is certain. They are curious, happy creatures, fascinated by the Material Plane and its inhabitants; however, those that have spoken to them speak of ominous, unsettling movements and foreshadowings relating to their plans. Whatever they are here for, Orz do not say for certain, but they remain relatively peaceful. For now.
An Orz is a foot long and around, and weighs roughly 20 pounds. However, many Orz conversations have described them as *fingers*, in contrast to humanoids and their *many bubbles*, leading some to theorize that Orz are actually small parts of a greater whole. Their living armor is six feet tall, and weighs roughly 500 pounds. Orz speak Orz, their own language, but never write or record hard copies; the language resembles chirping and bubbling, and even when translated is difficult to comprehend.

COMBAT
Orz never fight for conquest or spoils, but they are quick to defend themselves from others. Also, those who ask too many questions about old Andros, and whatever was destroyed there, may incite them to *frumple*, followed quickly by *dancing*.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will: detect thoughts, lesser confusion (both save DC 18). 3/day: dimension door. Save DCs are Intelligence-based.

Contagious Insight (Su): Once per day, an Orz can (in a sense) peel back the thin sheen of dimension through which they project themselves, revealing their true nature to a single creature within 60 feet. The creature affected must succeed on a Will save (DC 17) or suffer 2d6 points of Wisdom damage. The save DC is Intelligence-based.
Thereafter, the affected creature suffers 1 point of Wisdom damage per day, as their sanity slowly erodes under the terrible vision. Only a restoration spell or greater magic from someone other than the afflicted can heal the damage; any character who attempts to heal the creature's mind must succeed on a Will save (DC 17) or suffer 2d6 points of Wisdom damage themselves, and suffer the erosive effects of the strain, as the image burns itself into their minds from the afflicted to the healer. Even if the Will save succeeds, the caster must yet succeed on a caster level check (DC 17) or the attempt will fail. If a creature's Wisdom score drops to 0 or below, they do n ot fall unconscious but are affected as if by an insanity spell, and nothing short of a wish or miracle can restore their minds.
If a creature succeeds on their Will save, they are immune to any Orz' revelatory insight for 24 hours. Contagious insight is a mind-affecting ability.

Alien Nature (Ex): The Orz' very nature sets them apart from mortal and immortal ethics and morals. They have no alignment, and are unaffected by any ability or effect based on alignment. Their inscrutable natures also make them immune to charm or mind-affecting abilities.
Force of Will (Ex): Orz gain a +4 racial bonus to Will saves.
Living Armor (Su): Orz appear to be aquatic creatures. However, they are always encountered in a bubble of fluids magically suspended inside a walking shell of otherworldly armor, which grants them a +8 armor bonus to AC, damage reduction 5/-, a speed of 30 ft., and two 1d8 slam attacks (treated as masterwork weapons). For all intents and purposes, they are treated as Medium-sized creatures though they are actually Small. The armor is treated as having STR 25 and DEX 10.
Telepathic Link (Ex): All Orz within the same plane are in constant awareness and communication with each other. No Orz is considered flanked or surprised unless all of them are.
Incomprehensible (Ex): The Orz confound all attempts at understanding. Even with the benefit of a comprehend languages or tongues spell, Orz speech is disjointed and obfuscated in meaning; many translated words merely come through as "best-fit" compromises. The Orz tend not to notice this, and when they do, they don't seem to care: "Your words are *sticky*. It is good for *campers* *in between*."
Skills (Ex): Orz gain a +4 racial bonus to Sense Motive and Spot checks, and a +8 bonus to Swim checks. They can always take 10 on their Swim checks, even when rushed or threatened. However, Orz rarely swim unless somehow removed from their armor.

CULTURE
Not much can be said of Orz culture, or even if there is one. Besides repairing damaged metal shells and cheerfully talking with visitors, Orz do little in their city besides leave it. Roughly 99% of the Orz are roaming out and about the world at any given time, looking for someone or something - sometimes things as innocuous as some unheard-of farmer in a wilderness thorpe, or a bauble in a jewelry shop. Whenever Orz are asked what they are looking for, their answer is obfuscated and twisted, but presumably honest. Wherever they came from, they seem to like the Material Plane; they refer to their old home as *frumple* and the Material as *bright* and *smooth*, and seem to have no intentions of ever leaving. Unfortunately, besides their aimless wanderings they have revealed precious little as to their nature and their intent... for now, the only way to find out more about them is to be wary of them, and watch for what may mark the next phase of their movements.

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-04-06, 07:45 AM
I like this - mind if I borrow it? They'd fit in neatly to a section of my campaign world...

squishycube
2006-04-06, 07:58 AM
I like too, can you tell more about that 'true nature' thing?
Do you see the 'True Nature' when you have True Seeing for example?

Delcan
2006-04-06, 10:16 AM
Altair: Go for it. *grin* They're not my original idea anyway, just a small tribute.

squishy: Hmm... I'd have to say no, for plot and save-the-PCs purposes. The Orz aren't really an illusion per se; it's just what their *fingers* look like on this side of things. The ability is intended to be a brief glimpse onto that other side, one which normal spells and abilities are unable to provide.

(Andros figured out a way to look, and see what happened to them. ;) )

Maryring
2006-04-06, 10:25 AM
The "None" alignment is VERY weird, and makes it unplayable for quite a few, because alignment doesn't only have effect on spells, but decide how a character acts.

yuptar
2006-04-06, 12:31 PM
I would bet that if you could crack open one of the Orz shells and decant the fluid, you could sell it as a very powerful and no-doubt addictive intoxicant.

endoperez
2006-04-06, 12:50 PM
The "None" alignment is VERY weird, and makes it unplayable for quite a few, because alignment doesn't only have effect on spells, but decide how a character acts.

Is there any rationale in how the Orz act? They aren't even chaotic, just different. And they can't be said to be evil just for *dancing* with the *bubbles*, can they?

Thuryl
2006-04-06, 03:26 PM

Think of them as a cross between Cthulhu and the Borg, only weirder. They hang around doing whatever Orz do, and every so often they make an entire species disappear and suddenly there are a lot more Orz around.

I would bet that if you could crack open one of the Orz shells and decant the fluid, you could sell it as a very powerful and no-doubt addictive intoxicant.

Funny you should say that -- I'm pretty sure the manual mentions somewhere that the fluid they breathe is ethanol. :P

Splendor
2006-04-06, 03:40 PM
*happy camper* or just *camper*
People who don't get in the way of their mysterious plans, and who are generally good-natured and enjoy the Orz's sense of humor.
*party* or *parties*
I think they mean a kind of aliance.
*dancing*
Fighting
*sad animals*
People who do get in the way of their mysterious plans, or who don't appreciate their jokes...
*frumple*
This is a very, very important word. It means "to get mad", as in "those *sad animals* make us *frumple*."
*fingers*
This appear to be the term for the single Orz-entities that everyone sees, but the Orz assure that they are "just *fingers*" leading to the suspicions that the Orz may be a representation of a single being rather than a species.

Tips for Conversations
Always be polite, do not make them *frumple*
Do not insult them
Do not ask too many questions about certain *sad animals*, especially the Andros. This makes them *frumple* and you'll end up *dancing*

Who are you? You are not Orz! We are Orz! Orz are happy *people energy* from the outside.
Inside is good. So much good that Orz will always *germinate*.
Can you come together with Orz for *parties*?

"Here is *bright* and *smooth*. Other place is **Frumple**."

You are so many *lonely* *juicy* *bubbles*. It is so sad.
Now that you are *campers* you will have more *parties*
and no more *sad* *lonely* *bubbles*.

*Campers* like to say `hello' when they *smell* the Orz.
We have learned this. It is *no function* but Orz want to make *campers* happy everyday.
Okay... Hello!! Now you are happy I am sure.

I am *expanding!* It is so much *squishy* to *smell* you!
*Campers* are the best! I have *anticipation* and then what?
Better parties in *the middle* for sure.

That is *funny*. You think you *see* Orz but Orz are not *light reflections*.
Maybe you think Orz are *many bubbles* too. It is such a joke.
Orz are not *many bubbles* like *campers*. Orz are just Orz.
I am Orz. I am one with many *fingers*.
My *fingers* reach through into *heavy space* and you *see* *Orz bubbles*
but it is really *fingers*.
Maybe you do not even *smell*? That is sad.
*Smelling* *pretty colors* is the best *game*.

Hello! I will say again for extra enjoyment. So much a fun game.
Hello! Hello! Next I will *spit* *slow time* words to you for better *dancing*.
Do you know? Orz can *dance* very well.

You are a *silly* *camper*. I am always Orz.
If I was not Orz, then I would not be, but of course I am Orz.
We are from *outside*.

Here is *good news*!
Six or nine *pieces* ago, myself the Orz did not even *smell* your *level*.
Can you believe? It is so silly! It is such a *happy town*.
Then the Andros made some *slippery places* and then Orz can *smell* it.
It *smells* so good Orz are surprised!
I, myself pushed the *fingers* into the *new town* and there are so many *campers*.
First the ORC, but they are such *silly cows*
they ask so much about the Andros we must *dance* with them.
Then we can *smell* the Arilou. Again they are *jumping in front*.
It is always! Nnnnggaaahhhhh!
There is *juice squeezing* and then we are not so *frumple*.
Finally we find you, the *happy campers* and the Illithid *playground* for sliding through.

Nnnnnngaaaa!!!! I am *squeezing* the *juice*.
You have become too close. You are *sick* for the last time!
Nnnnnnggggaaaaaa!! It is not enough for *happy days* I am sure.
More and more *juice!*

"We seek to trap *Nnngn*, but they dart and leap. YOU cannot trap *Nnngn*... do not even try. I do not think you can even touch them; you are not quite solid enough." When asked what they did with the *Nnngn* after catching them, they replied, "Why we let them go, of course! *Nnngn* do not like to be confined!"

Dervag
2006-06-17, 05:37 AM
Actually, that last quote is attributed to the Arilou, a race of extradimensional travelers similar to the 'grays' that populate flying saucers; or to some of the 'faerie' entities of Celtic legend. The Arilou strongly dislike the Orz and warn humans not to trust them. But it is unclear whether the Arilou are any more trustworthy than the Orz, and they are unwilling to explain their motives honestly. Arilou are extremely condescending towards humans.

That 'no alignment' trait is a GREAT way to describe the Orz. They simply do not show any signs of interacting with the world in moral terms, any more than an animal does; but they are clearly intelligent and so cannot be said to have an animal's neutrality.

Note that nobody is really sure whether the Orz were involved in the demise of Andros, or whether they just popped through some sort of hole that Andros left behind. However, probing questions, carefully phrased and limited to avoid provoking an unexpected *dance*, lead cautious investigators to become very suspicious.

Rolaran
2006-06-19, 01:48 AM
All I can say is, that is awesome. Are you going to do more? I could see the Druuge as an awesome Lawful Evil race, and imagine the Pkunk... ;)

Delcan
2006-06-19, 03:52 PM
All I can say is, that is awesome. Are you going to do more? I could see the Druuge as an awesome Lawful Evil race, and imagine the Pkunk... ;)

Well, now you've tempted me. ;D It'll be the Pkunk next, or failing that the Kzer-Za. Or maybe a PC Utwig race...

Rolaran
2006-06-19, 04:16 PM
Oh, didn't think of the Utwig, but that would be really cool.

Resistance to fear and despair (because they are already in a state of constant misery, they are hard to make MORE miserable)

Racial bonus to Bluff checks and Disguise checks as other Utwigs (because the mask provides the ultimate poker face, and under the mask, they all look the same)

+2 to wisdom and intelligence, -4 to charisma (smart, but very, very depressing)

Actually, I might make this myself, mind if I put my ideas in your thread?

ilovefire
2006-06-19, 06:17 PM
I still want to see a rendition of the Spathi. The only race to be strong enough to be able to wipe out the Ur Quan Kohr-Ah and Kzer-za, but too cowardly to do so.

Delcan
2006-06-19, 09:28 PM
Oh, didn't think of the Utwig, but that would be really cool.

Resistance to fear and despair (because they are already in a state of constant misery, they are hard to make MORE miserable)

Racial bonus to Bluff checks and Disguise checks as other Utwigs (because the mask provides the ultimate poker face, and under the mask, they all look the same)

+2 to wisdom and intelligence, -4 to charisma (smart, but very, very depressing)

Actually, I might make this myself, mind if I put my ideas in your thread?

Hehe, sure. Star Control had some great race ideas, so easily transferrable to fantasy...

I'd actually ditch the resistance to fear and despair effects. The Utwig weren't always so utterly somber and dejected, that was just a plot point after all. However, I'd keep the big Charisma penalty, as they're so caught up in their vast and convoluted mask culture that they seem somewhat obtuse even to each other. :)

And of course, every Utwig PC needs in their equipment list at least 6 different masks. Mask of Gruelling but Necessary Activity, Visage of Timely Intake of Nutrition, the Guise of Adventurous Risk... hehe. Imagine the masks an Utwig bard would have to keep around.

Rolaran
2006-06-19, 10:29 PM
Okay, time to give this a shot. An Utwig PC race.

This is my first attempt at a new creature, monster or PC, so let me know if something is off.

UTWIG

Medium Size

+2 Intelligence and Wisdom, -2 Charisma.

Base land speed is 30 feet.

Mask Culture: Utwig believe that facial expressions are a sign of evil and primitive urges, and always wear a mask. They have different masks for every situation, and can switch masks at any time if they have one handy that is more suited to the situation than the one they are currently wearing.

Mask carried by most Utwig adventurers: Mask of Uneventful Travel, Mask of Intake of Nutrition, Mask of Friendly Discussion, Mask of Potentially Lethal Conflict. An Utwig will usually start out with one or two other masks appropriate to a common activity of its starting class (ie. clerics get a Mask of Humble Supplications for Magical Blessings, rogues get a Balaclava of Unexpected Backstabbing), and they may make more masks at any time.

Perfect Mask: If an Utwig is wearing a mask that it feels is perfectly suited to its current activity and mood, it gains a +2 circumstance bonus appropriate to the mask. For example, an Utwig wearing a Mask of Confident and Lofty Posture would gain a bonus to Diplomacy and Intimidate checks, while a Mask of Satirical Glibness would provide a bonus to Perform (Comedy) checks.

No matter what the mask, Utwig gain a +2 bonus to Bluff checks, or Disguise checks to look like other Utwig (as creatures normally rely on facial cues and features to determine a liar or distinguish members of the same species, and the mask makes this more difficult.)

+5 bonus on Craft checks to make any kind of mask.

Automatic Languages: Common and Utwig. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin and Orc.

Favored Class: Cleric

Does anyone know how to make an entry for a deity? I made the favored class cleric on the idea that they would worship the Ultron...

Delcan
2006-06-20, 12:20 AM
(rogues get a Balaclava of Unexpected Backstabbing)

*gigglegiggleSNORTgiggle*

Hmm... I'd give them a few more abilities of some kind, and bump them to an LA +1. Maybe a few divinatory spell-like abilities; Utwig tend to be eerily aware when they're not rock-bottomed-out in depression.

The Ultron sounds like the perfect "deity" for them to worship. Gods save them if they BREAK it... ;) Favored Domains Knowledge, Protection, maybe Community?