PDA

View Full Version : Funnest race to play

Froogleyboy
2009-04-08, 09:03 PM
I found a thread like this before but i couldn't find it again. So what is the funnest race to play fluff-wise. i don't care about racial HD or level ajustment, just fluff

NPCMook
2009-04-08, 09:10 PM
Add a template from Savage Species, and any race instantly becomes fun to play, especially humans(crunch wise, but that's something else)

Irate Ranger
2009-04-08, 09:11 PM
I don't care what anyone says, dwarf stereotypes will never get old.

Barbaric humans are probably a close second.

streakster
2009-04-08, 09:12 PM
Pixie.
I'm quite serious.

Starscream
2009-04-08, 09:15 PM
I love Halflings. Always have, always will. I've played many characters over the years, and I'd say at least half of them have been halflings.

Enguhl
2009-04-08, 09:46 PM
Kobolds!
Little dragon-descended guys that always get stepped on by everyone but still manage to come out on top.
Plus they are crafty :D

TheCountAlucard
2009-04-08, 09:51 PM
I've been having lots of fun with the Twi'lek I'm playing (hey, you never said what game I had to pick from! :smalltongue:), but at times I wonder if a Clawdite would be fun to play. :smallbiggrin:

FMArthur
2009-04-08, 09:52 PM
Changelings are the best race for fun roleplaying. Anyone suggesting otherwise has either forgotten or never heard of changelings.

monty
2009-04-08, 09:53 PM
Kobolds!
Little dragon-descended guys that always get stepped on by everyone but still manage to come out on top.
Plus they are crafty :D

This. Kobolds are unquestionably my favorite race to play (and potentially incredibly powerful too), although goblins are a close second.

Llama231
2009-04-08, 09:53 PM
Human. No really. I mostly DM, and most of my players never use them.

RTGoodman
2009-04-08, 09:55 PM
Kobolds!

This.

Also, Goliaths (I love playing up the overcompetitive aspect); surly, stereotypical Dwarves; and Whisper Gnomes (because no one expects the Gnome to be dark and scary). I like goblinoids, too, especially Bugbears, and I have a special place in my heart for Half-Orcs, too.

I'm also starting to warm up to Eladrin, Shadar-Kai, Dragonborn, and Tieflings from 4E, but I haven't played enough of 4E to have a favorite yet.

Samb
2009-04-08, 10:35 PM
Synd from complete psionics is a personal favorite. Free one round schism is always great, and 3 heads make for interesting RPing. I like to play them as taking a full second before they respond to anything because of all "the voices in my head". I have all the NPCs wondering if i am retarded or psychotic.

The Gith races are fun also for all the spell-like abilities and the fact that I have to go ape **** when we run into the opposing race or illithid.

NPCMook
2009-04-08, 10:47 PM
I've been having lots of fun with the Twi'lek I'm playing (hey, you never said what game I had to pick from! :smalltongue:), but at times I wonder if a Clawdite would be fun to play. :smallbiggrin:

Jawa's are also awesome, if there was ever another game going for Saga, I would totally roll a Jawa

RTGoodman
2009-04-08, 11:04 PM
Synd from complete psionics is a personal favorite. Free one round schism is always great, and 3 heads make for interesting RPing. I like to play them as taking a full second before they respond to anything because of all "the voices in my head". I have all the NPCs wondering if i am retarded or psychotic.

Man, I totally forgot about Synad. I've always wanted to play one, but I've never gotten around to playing in a game that allowed Psionics so I could do it.

wykydtron
2009-04-08, 11:12 PM
I personaly like Tieflings, Drow, and any other race that can drop a giant orb of darkness right into the mix of things. Also humans, for the extra feat and skills, I feel it gives my characters more manueverablity.

Hectonkhyres
2009-04-08, 11:41 PM
Changeling, hands down. Make him a rogue 1/factotum 9/ ur-priest 10 and make your DM cry.

DM: Mister Hectonkhyres, what sort of character are you planning to run for the next game?
Me: Oh, I don't know. I was thinking all of them.

I had a different character almost every damn day. Not real life day... in-game day. Simply glorious. Let me ignore a level adjustment that could choke an overgod and give me a doppleganger and I will be really happy.

monty
2009-04-08, 11:45 PM
Changeling, hands down. Make him a rogue 1/factotum 9/ ur-priest 10 and make your DM cry.

Factotum 9 is pretty much a dead level. Swap it for a level of wizard and use one of the cheesy early-entry tricks to go Mystic Theurge.

chiasaur11
2009-04-08, 11:45 PM
As most of the best ones have been covered:

Warforged, so you can make Bender, Atomic Robo, and Nextwave references.

streakster
2009-04-08, 11:50 PM
Factotum 9 is pretty much a dead level. Swap it for a level of wizard and use one of the cheesy early-entry tricks to go Mystic Theurge.

Or Chameleon. Divine and Arcane casting? Plus floating feats? Thank you!

Hectonkhyres
2009-04-08, 11:53 PM
I said make your DM cry... not drop rocks on you.
I'm pushing things as they are by even mentioning Ur-Priest.

wykydtron
2009-04-09, 12:00 AM
I said make your DM cry... not drop rocks on you.
I'm pushing things as they are by even mentioning Ur-Priest.

What's wrong with the Ur-Preist?

Tempest Fennac
2009-04-09, 01:00 AM
I'd say my Fenneckin homebrew race due to liking playing as naive paranoid characters. If I had to pick an official race, I'd say Phanatons for the same reasons.

BlueWizard
2009-04-09, 01:04 AM
For me, humans.

TheCountAlucard
2009-04-09, 01:10 AM
Jawa's are also awesome, if there was ever another game going for Saga, I would totally roll a Jawa

Saga Edition fans UNITE! :highfive:

arguskos
2009-04-09, 01:16 AM
Dvati, my personal favorite. Who doesn't love a single soul split between two bodies?

My second favorite is Tibbits, because they can turn into a housecat with no LA. That's just AWESOME.

The Extinguisher
2009-04-09, 01:19 AM
Awakened house cat.

SurlySeraph
2009-04-09, 01:23 AM
DWAAAAAAARVES!!! To hell with elves.

I don't enjoy playing kobolds myself, but it's always fun to have a kobold in the party. They're all adorable and foreign and kobold-ish.

Book Wyrm
2009-04-09, 01:28 AM
Dwarves hands down. I pretty much love every stereotypical facet of their culture. Beer, smithing, engineering, more beer, beards, bad accents, surly attitude, and beer.

Close seconds are Pandaren and "Kappas", if I could ever find playable versions of them.

I also love how no one has mentioned elves yet. Screw them. [Ninja'd]

Baron Malkar
2009-04-09, 01:30 AM
Gnomes, because nothing says welcome to the neighborhood like a barrel of smoke powder with a lit fuse.

also Shadowcraft Mage (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=655556) will make your DM cry everytime you say "I'm just an Illusionist":smallamused:

Wizzardman
2009-04-09, 02:11 AM
Half-Titan Halfling, dudes. Nothing is more fun to play than a short person with really weird parents and enough strength to overpower dragons.

Especially since there's no appearance-based way to tell a basic Half-Titan Halfling from a normal Halfling.

Dvati, my personal favorite

Just played this race recently, and I've gotta admit, it is my second favorite. Unfortunately, it does have low survivability--Zathras, my most recent Dvati character, can atest to that.

Of course, that may have been because "they" were a fighter, in a place where apparently every single monster had Death Throws, and said Death Throws were powerful enough to kill other monsters of the same type.

...I really hate chain reactions.

arguskos
2009-04-09, 02:23 AM
Just played this race recently, and I've gotta admit, it is my second favorite. Unfortunately, it does have low survivability--Zathras, my most recent Dvati character, can atest to that.

Of course, that may have been because "they" were a fighter, in a place where apparently every single monster had Death Throws, and said Death Throws were powerful enough to kill other monsters of the same type.

...I really hate chain reactions.
Two points.

1. You picked, sadly, among the worst choices for a Dvati: frontline warrior. Yes, their double actions are excellent, but they just don't have the life to keep up (as you found out, unfortunately). Rogues are the ideal Dvati combat character, for the flanking tricks and Tumble to stay alive. :smallamused:

2. That said... AWESOME!!! At least he died as he lived: as a frikkin' BADASS. Hope you give dvati another shot (though honestly, I don't think they are worth their LA +1, since really, they are squishy beyond words).

B0nd07
2009-04-09, 02:32 AM
Of all the races I've played, I think most of my fun came from (in no particular order):

Halfling
Half-Dragon (Gold) - It helped that metallic dragons were rare in that campaign world, let alone half-breeds. The breath-weapon didn't hurt either. :smalltongue:
Goliath
Half-Drow - Basically a Half-Elf, but the background I developed made for some interesting role-play possibilities. I just wish that campaign wasn't on indefinite hold.

I've also got a Kobold that I'd like to play. They just seem like so much fun.

VirOath
2009-04-09, 04:08 AM
Okay, there is a list I have.

Dwarves, of course. But more so Barbarians or similar front liners (Or flankers, or armored casters, or Warlock...) classes, with the Leadership feat. Rolling bands of drinking unstoppable rockband that can smash through anything. It's a blast, just be sure to remember the Beer song. Any dwarf is cool, but those ones are a notch above the rest.

Gnomes. In general, despite all the stupid hate that is against them, they are really fun and happy to play. Having a name than can't fit on a sheet of paper will make things interesting, and gives you a real reason to have a nick name.

Dopplegangers. Shapeshift + Detect thoughts. Nuff said. (Rather, not much more I can say as it all eventually leads into material that isn't PG)

Minotaurs. Big Bull People that like to smash things. On their own outside of their CE society alignment they are like dwarves, except bigger and badder. And they drink beer from tree trunk sized mugs!

Could Giants. Now, this is a kicker to play, and rarely used. But, if you are in a high enough level campaign and playing a good character, these are FUN. Makes for some very fun RP if you are creative and have a good DM. And with some mockery of some of the shrink rules, you can change to a few sizes lower without giving up anything. Also make the bar scenes -very- interesting. Though they can really suffer from -you don't fit- syndrome if the material is lacking a bit.

Edit: Can't forget Weres! Natural Werebear Monk is a monk that will actually be feared. And can catch a mountain. There are alot of things you can play with these.

mostlyharmful
2009-04-09, 05:09 AM
Gnomes..... happy, reasonable, charming, mad-as-a-bag-of-frogs gnomes with illusions for eeeeeeverybody!

Thrud
2009-04-09, 05:24 AM
2nd ed Dark Sun 1/2 giants. Woo hoo!

:smallbiggrin:

Thri-Kreen were kinda cool in that setting too. Trying to get inside the head of an insectoid PC who just couldn't understand taboos about eating intelligent creatures was kinda fun.

SolkaTruesilver
2009-04-09, 05:25 AM
Dwarf. Ever tried to have an all-dwarf party? A dwarf-quest? That's awesome :smallbiggrin:

The beer never stops flowing.. hehe..

Assassin89
2009-04-09, 06:34 AM
I have only played as a human and as a half-elf.

Gnorman
2009-04-09, 06:40 AM
Oh my lord, gnomes. Whisper, Chaos, Arcane, Tinker, Rock, Deep, Forest, whatever (though Whisper's the best, obviously). As long as they're four feet tall with big noses and delusions of grandeur. They have the curiosity, the drive, the charm, and the tenacity to basically do anything. That CON bonus makes sure they're never really pigeonholed into one class. Stellar mages, excellent rogues, competent fighters and clerics.

But not fishmalk gnomes, which may be some of the reason gnomes get hate (TOTALLY UNJUSTIFIED). Chaotic neutral is not a free pass.

Sneaky, devious, deceitful gnomes who put on a charming, rakish front. And are both skillmonkeys and arcanists. Zilargo did wonders for the race - so much better than bumbling little tinkerers and alchemists.

Basically, gnome beguilers.

Try playing a magnetic gnomish fencer sometime. Cyragnome de Bergerac.

Or a gnomish paladin! Fun fun fun. Not exactly powerful, but great fluff.

serok42
2009-04-09, 06:47 AM
DnD - Gnome or Dwarf

Star Trek - Vulcan

Star Wars - Mon Calamari

serok42
2009-04-09, 06:49 AM
Dwarf. Ever tried to have an all-dwarf party? A dwarf-quest? That's awesome :smallbiggrin:

The beer never stops flowing.. hehe..

All dwarf parties are the best especially when the dwarven wizard makes water elementals out of beer.
Alementals FTW! :smallbiggrin:

Raz_Fox
2009-04-09, 09:12 AM
For D&D: Shifters. FURRY!! :smalltongue: And Elves, can't forget Elves.

For Saga:
1. Read The Paradise Snare.
2. Pick up Force Unleashed Campaign Setting.
3. Find Togorian race.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Valentyne
2009-04-09, 09:21 AM
I'll always believe the funnest race to play are the kender. Although gnomes, halflings and pixies come in a close second. But the way the group groans when they see an approaching kender never grows old...

Telonius
2009-04-09, 09:25 AM
Gnomes. I love those brilliant little psychos! Will this invention work, or will it destroy the multiverse? Let's push the red button and find out! And any race whose god collapsed a plane as a practical joke has got to have something going for it. :smallbiggrin:

Valentyne
2009-04-09, 09:26 AM
2nd ed Dark Sun 1/2 giants. Woo hoo!

Ooo forgot about Dark Sun. Loved that setting. But I have to go with the halflings there....cannibalistic little terrors :smallbiggrin:

RTGoodman
2009-04-09, 09:36 AM
Close seconds are Pandaren and "Kappas", if I could ever find playable versions of them.

I could be wrong, but I do believe a Pandaren PC race is in the Warcraft d20 book. (Not the WORLD of Warcraft d20, just the standard Warcraft one.)

VirOath
2009-04-09, 11:02 PM
I could be wrong, but I do believe a Pandaren PC race is in the Warcraft d20 book. (Not the WORLD of Warcraft d20, just the standard Warcraft one.)

A more up to date one is in the World of Warcraft RPG, Neutral Alliances handbook. Even has race core classes and PrCs for them.

Thrud
2009-04-09, 11:28 PM
Ooo forgot about Dark Sun. Loved that setting. But I have to go with the halflings there....cannibalistic little terrors :smallbiggrin:

Oh yeah, they were right little bastards all right.

Heh, gotta agree on the Kender though, they can be seriously fun to play too. "Oh crap, emergency pocket grap! Oh look, a wand, I wonder what will happen if I point it at the enemy and wave it around. *sound of explosions* Ohhh, pretty flames. . ."

Heh, pocket grabs were fun.

Katrascythe
2009-04-09, 11:31 PM
I've never really played anything that wasn't human. I can say that I would dearly love to get to play a Frostwind Virago just for flavor (and that they're so gorgeous!). I like the fey and their variants even if the LA kills you.

DarknessLord
2009-04-09, 11:44 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and 2nd Pixie, at least for 3.5, it's one of the few higher LAs that I consider still fun to start playing when you only have one class level and everyone else has like 5.

Hida Reju
2009-04-10, 06:29 AM
Elan, nothing says fun like playing a person that wakes up with no memory and has funky powers after a psionic reformating gone wrong.

Darth Stabber
2009-04-10, 07:31 AM
D&D3.5-Elan, Dwarf, warforged, Human
D&D4e-Dwarf, Warforged, Human
SWSE-Wookies, Droids, Human

Elan - Yay 0 LA aberrations, Alter self for fun and profit. Plus you never have to eat, still count as living, and are the immortal result of too much applied Phlebtonium.
Dwarf - Beard, beer, short, swarthy, and you get to do your best faked scottish accent,.
Warforged - Crazy fantasy robots, no sleep just a recharge time, during which you are fully cognizant. Make a party of these Guys and just have them trance facing different direction, no need to set a watch. Plus integrated weaponry.
Wookies - Rage + bowcasters + shyriiwook = win.
Droids - as warforged minus fantasy. The most flexible race in SWSE.
Humans - Safe choice on any day, They can fit alot of molds, and every class and most prestige/paragon options are easily open to them.

KazilDarkeye
2009-04-10, 08:15 AM

It's especially fun if you play it like Blitzwing (http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Blitzwing_%28Animated%29) from Transformers Animated. He has 3 different faces, each with their own personality (and variant of a German/Austrian accent).
You have:
Icy (Cold, calculating, disdainful)
Hothead (Angry, loud, sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger)
Random (Complete nutcase, usually cackling histerically)

I also had a lot of fun playing a Goblin, but then again, that was mostly due to his class/personality rather than race. Ah well.

Typewriter
2009-04-10, 08:29 AM
Dvati, my personal favorite. Who doesn't love a single soul split between two bodies?

Yes!

The RP behind this is simply amazing, thought that being said....

I saw a few people mention the usefulness of their 'double actions'....apparently that's a common misconception...one I had for a long time too.

They split their actions. So if you have a full round attack, you can split them between the bodies. I found this being discussed by people on the WOTC message boards, and they got a comment from the creator explaining it. No double actions, just the same amount split up. Including that if one body moves, the other can move or attack. Nothing extra at all. Mechanically, they are horrible now that I realize that.

I even went back and looked at the entry, and realized that it doesn't say what I thought it did. It's poorly explained, but the creators explanation explains why it's only a 1 LA.....

Curmudgeon
2009-04-10, 09:34 AM
Humans and human-like races are what I like. Humans get a feat and skill points that outstrip what static boosts other races get within a few levels. Unless you're choosing classes where a feat and extra skill points don't matter much, the mechanical incentive and ease of role-playing are just too compelling. I'd rather use my own perspective as a basis for character insight rather than have to try to figure out the appropriate motivations for some other race.

Tengu_temp
2009-04-10, 09:42 AM
Human. Because when you play a human you have to give your character actual personality to make it interesting, instead of relying on the racial archetype.

Kioran
2009-04-10, 09:50 AM
Humans. Flexibility and no archetype, +badass normal potential.

Classical Tieflings or Aasimar. Cool stuff, especially if they do occasionaly escape the mold (I DMed a module with one CE and one LG Tiefling, both of which were indicting the other....find the right one :smallbiggrin: )

JonestheSpy
2009-04-10, 08:59 PM
Really, I like 'em all. A human from an interesting culture is always fun. Gnomes, tieflings, elves, and assimar also top my list.

I would play half-orcs more often and like 'em character-wise, but the rules make them so deficient that it takes mondo houserules to make 'em worth considering.

Danin
2009-04-11, 12:21 AM
In no particular order:

Shifters - Play up the wild aspect. Refer to things as prey. When an ally proves himself weak or ineffective, refer to him as prey, or the runt. Make it painfully obvious that in the wilds, your companions would likely be eaten. By you.

Centaurs - Have you looked at how much they weigh? And how much strength they get? And how they get jump as a skill for all their racial HD? I did. Imagine my DM's surprise when I leaped off the airship and rolled a natural 20 to hit the wizard with my missile weapon that just so happened to be Me. While he was on another air ship. I did enough damage to smash through the 3 decks and the hull and fall another few hundred feet to the ground with the wizard beneath me and walked away from the impact crater. The wizard did not.

Gelatinous Cube - Yeah, silly, I know. But consider it: You are a strange, truly unique thing. You have a few interesting and truly fun abilities that, though situational, provide hours of entertainment. And you get to be a man/woman/thing of few words. The strong silent type, save for a minor oozing noise.

Worg - Again, an odd race, but they are just plain cool! You can speak and they tend to create a strong attachment to one person (usually their rider). Marked by a violent streak, the good / neutral Worg struggling with it's violent impulses is very fun to play with. Great role playing potential.

Kara Kuro
2009-04-11, 12:54 AM
I played a gay drow in a campaign that just recently came to an end. THAT was fun. It didn't help that no one else in the campaign (both Players and Characters) could tell his actual gender in the first place. I'm pretty sure the DM called him a 'she' for 99.5% for the campaign.

Although I myself didn't play one, a friend played a witchblade in the same campaign and though a potentially powerful character... He pretty quickly came to be known as a swollen pink testicle.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-04-11, 06:16 AM
Dwarfs all the way. Aside from just being awesome, they have racial traits that are good for just about any class which doesn't use charisma (in 3.5 anyway).

Dogmantra
2009-04-11, 07:07 AM
Half-Elves, Kobolds and Tieflings.

I don't know why, I just like them. Especially the idea of a Kobold Wizard.

BlueWizard
2009-04-11, 07:12 AM
Am I the only human fan?

Leon
2009-04-11, 08:30 AM
In no particular order.
Trollkin
Tharn
Wild Elves
Thri-Kreen
Dwarfs

Dogmantra
2009-04-11, 08:40 AM
Am I the only human fan?

Well, RPGs are a sort of "escapist" game for some people, where you get the chance to do stuff you wouldn't normally get to do, and since most people can be human in real life, they choose the more exotic races. That's certainly it for me.

woodenbandman
2009-04-11, 08:42 AM
Anything anti-optimal. Not just suboptimal, like an elf wizard rather than a gray elf or a human. I'm talking, like, a Half-Orc Archivist, or a Gnome Barbarian, or something funky like that.

EDIT: And Spellscales. Not so good from an optimization standpoint (and not so bad either), but GOD they are fun to RP. They have Vanity as an (Ex) ability!

FinalJustice
2009-04-11, 08:58 AM
Human reincarnated into House Cat. I had a BLAST!

Human.

Aasimar (Having celestial blood screams awesome to me)

Half Celestial (If it weren't for the damn LA)

Dwarf (Gotta love 'em)

Half Dragon (Yes, I like half breeds, yes, I do hate LA)

monty
2009-04-11, 01:53 PM
Anything anti-optimal. Not just suboptimal, like an elf wizard rather than a gray elf or a human. I'm talking, like, a Half-Orc Archivist, or a Gnome Barbarian, or something funky like that.

Kobold barbarian for the win! Although they can actually be surprisingly good.

BlueWizard
2009-04-11, 02:06 PM
Final Justice is with me, a little.

Well, RPGs are a sort of "escapist" game for some people, where you get the chance to do stuff you wouldn't normally get to do, and since most people can be human in real life, they choose the more exotic races. That's certainly it for me.

I like humans, because it makes the fantasy closer to home... being a human myself. :smallcool:

Tengu_temp
2009-04-11, 02:26 PM
Am I the only human fan?

Read the thread more carefully:

Human. No really. I mostly DM, and most of my players never use them.

Human. Because when you play a human you have to give your character actual personality to make it interesting, instead of relying on the racial archetype.

D&D3.5-Elan, Dwarf, warforged, Human
D&D4e-Dwarf, Warforged, Human
SWSE-Wookies, Droids, Human

Really, I like 'em all. A human from an interesting culture is always fun.

I've never really played anything that wasn't human.

I have only played as a human and as a half-elf.

Gnorman
2009-04-11, 04:16 PM
Loads of concrete evidence.

Sorry, BlueWizard, but if Tengu hadn't done it, I would have.

Humans are fairly popular - I guess it's the whole similar mindset, it lets people really sink into their character. It's easier to do than somehow come up with a feasible attitude for a centuries-old fey git.

Dwarves and gnomes, though? Acceptable longevity.

Elves can go screw.

BlueWizard
2009-04-11, 04:24 PM
BlueWizard blushing....

Zocelot
2009-04-11, 08:19 PM
Dragonborn, because I like my characters to look like a dragon. (kidding)

My favorite race is human, because it usually leads to a more gritty style of play.

Samb
2009-04-11, 08:33 PM
I'm the only synad fan? <whine> okay it's kind of an obsure race but come on, you have floating heads next to you!! And you're bald, how badass is that. My alter heads use my shiney bald head as a mirror.

woodenbandman
2009-04-11, 08:48 PM
ooh another thing I've just discovered is my absolute love of warforged. I'm playing an off-plane warforged from the planet Aiur, who has orders to take over the world that she is currently on. Yeah, its a she.

It's really funny playing a character that is out for world domination for a reason other than personal greed. She wants to dominate the world because that is her prime directive. Also I get to use short sentences and be mean to people and they will understand because I, as a robot, can only destroy, when all I want to do is love...

not really.

And did I mention Spellscales? GOD they're fun as hell. I'm playing one in 2E (homebrewed in) and it's awesome to be one. They're sexy as hell and they know it, but I'm playing one who doesn't use his charms to get all he can eat (if you know what I mean) because he's had a sudden revelation that his best friend of 20-odd years is actually the person that he loved the most, when she leaves him (kidnapped). And the women absolutely eat him up, so now we have a guy who pushes away all the women who run up and try to get into bed with him (if you know what I mean), which of course makes him come off as totally gay. But he's not, he just comes off that way. It doesn't help his case for straightness that I own a Robe of Wardrobe which has every conceivable outfit, ever. And often he will switch clothes because he can. And he wore dress slacks in the snow along with a heavy fur coat and furry boots. It's going to be even greater when I attract a boatload of female followers and lead them all on "unintentionally." I have this one NPC following me a bit who thinks that she and I are clicking, but I'll eventually find Morrigan (best friend) and it'll be super dramatic. And that's why they're the best race ever.

Rant ended.

Zeta Kai
2009-04-11, 09:07 PM
I usually play Half-Elves or Half-Orcs if I'm restricted to Core-only. If I'm in Eberron, I go for Warforged, due to the inherent coolness of robots. If I must go with WotC-published material, but am otherwise unrestrained, I like Goliaths, Illumians, & Doppelgangers. If I have free reign to choose as I wish, then I usually like to experiment with homebrew races, like my Oaves, Ronso, or Hypello.

sonofzeal
2009-04-11, 09:38 PM
I enjoy playing anything against type - savage Dwarves, intelligent Orcs, etc. Humans are fun, but so broad a category that there's not really any "type" to play against. Humanity in D&D is sort of a blank slate; you can do interesting things on top of it, but it doesn't really give you anything to work with by itself, RP-wise.

A few unusual races I've really enjoyed have been Maugs, Shadar-Kai, Centaurs, Gnolls, and Goblinoids. All fun and flavourful and give plenty to work with when coming up with unique and interesting RPs.

V'icternus
2009-04-11, 10:14 PM
Currently, I find I like Half-Elves and Teilfings a lot for some reason. (Despite the fact that I keep forgetting that my Tiefling has a tail... which, as it turns out, is fun to Roleplay. "Huh? Oh yeah, my tail. I forgot about it again...
Sorry little guy.")

But then, any race can be fun if you make it fun. My brother likes playing Dragonborn. (His character's ultimate goal is to find a way to become a dragon, which pretty much means he needs to help out some God or another.)