PDA

View Full Version : Variant Monk

Jane_Smith
2009-04-08, 10:10 PM
Wewt, round 10, the monk! So many problems with the original I dont even know where to start, i pretty much had to take the monk entirely apart and start almost from scratch, it was a mess. @.@ Anyway, enjoy! <3

Sorry... cant.. resist....

MOORRRRTAL COOOOMBAT!!!

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3513/confrontationbyjasoneng.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The Monk~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MONK
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+2|AC Bonus, Masterful Strike, Monk Ability
2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Improved Grapple, Monk Ability, Stunning Fist
3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3|Evasion
4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|Monk Ability, Piercing Strike (3)
5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+4|Masterful Strike +1d6, Uncanny Dodge
6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+5|Monk Ability
7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+5|Improved Speed or Resilience
8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+6|Monk Ability, Piercing Strike (6)
9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+6|Improved Uncanny Dodge
10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+7|Masterful Strike +2d6, Monk Ability
11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|
+7|Improved Speed or Resilience
12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+8|Monk Ability, Piercing Strike (9)
13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+8|Adamantine Strike 1/day
14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|
+9|Monk Ability
15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+9|Improved Speed or Resilience, Masterful Strike +3d6
16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+10|
+10|Monk Ability, Piercing Strike (12)
17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+10|Adamantine Strike 1/encounter
18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+11|Monk Ability
19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+11|Improved Speed or Resilience
20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+12|Masterful Strike +4d6, Monk Ability, Piercing Strike (15)[/table]

Alignment: Any.
Hit Dice: d8.
Base Attack: Good.
Saves: Good Fortitude, Good Reflex, Good Willpower.

Class Skills
The Monk's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex) and Use Rope.
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at each additional level: 6 + Int modifier.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A monk is proficient with a variety of traditional weapons that are necessary as tools; by training with everything from lengths of rope to wooden boards, the monk ensures that he can always carry a weapon without sticking out. This list includes the club, dagger, dart, hand axe, light hammer, light pick, quarterstaff, sickle, throwing axe, and sling. Monks are proficient only with padded armor, and not with shields; as with weapons, wearing more visible armor would only serve to slow the monk, not protect him. Because the monk regularly fights for his life wearing nothing more than padded clothes, the monk loses his monk abilities, masterful strike, precise strike, and AC bonuses when wearing any armor other than padded or when using a shield.

AC Bonus (Ex): When wearing armor no armor or padded armor, the monk gains a bonus to AC equal to half his monk level (rounded down). In addition, he may add his Wisdom bonus (if positive) as a bonus to his Armor Class. This bonus cannot exceed his total monk level. These bonuses to AC applies even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless.

Masterful Strike (Ex): A monk gains the Improved Unarmed Strike feat at 1st level. Additionally, his unarmed strike damage improves to 1d4 for Small monks, 1d6 for Medium monks, and 1d8 for Large monks. At 5th level and every 5 levels thereafter, a monk deals 1d6 extra damage when he hits with a successful unarmed strike. The extra damage from masterful strike is not multiplied when a critical hit is scored.

Monk Abilities: At 1st level, 2nd level and every two levels thereafter (4th, 6th, 8th, etc.), a monk may choose one ability from the following list. The monk cannot use any of these abilities or gain any of their benefits when wearing armor heavier than padded or using a shield, or when using weapons other than unarmed strikes or weapons with which monks are normally proficient.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monk abilities are organized into tiers. Tier 1 abilities have no prerequisites. Tier 2 abilities each have one specific tier 1 ability as a prerequisite and most require one of the monk's daily uses of Stunning Fist. Tier 3 abilities each have two specific tier 1 abilities as prerequisites and most require one of the monk's daily uses of Stunning Fist.

Tier 1 Abilities

Flurry Attack: The monk's penalty for fighting with a weapon in his off hand (including attacking with an off hand unarmed strike or using both ends of a double weapon, such as the quarterstaff) is reduced by one. This ability may be chosen multiple times, each time reducing the penalty by an additional 1 (minimum of 0).

Defensive Mastery: Each of the monk's saving throws gains a permanent +1 bonus. This ability may be chosen multiple times.

Dodge Training: The bonus to AC granted by the monk's class ability increases by +1. This ability may be chosen multiple times.

Grappling Training: The monk may attempt a disarm, sunder, or trip attack against a foe with whom he is grappling. In all cases, the attempt takes the place of a normal attack and is resolved with opposed grapple checks rather than with the normal opposed attack roll or opposed Strength check; only the normal modifiers to the grapple checks are used.

Offensive Training: When a monk has successfully stunned a foe with a stunning attack, he can attempt to blind or deafen his opponent for a number of rounds equal to his Strength modifier. The round during which the opponent is stunned does not count against the duration of this effect. The stunned opponent may make a Fortitude saving throw (DC equal to the DC of the monk's Stunning Fist attack) to avoid this effect, albeit at a -4 penalty.

Speed Training: Once per round, the monk may make an additional move action, either before or after his regular actions. He still cannot move more than 5 ft. if he takes a full round action. Alternatively, if the monk took a double move, he could use this ability to move even farther; if he moved and then attacked once as a standard action, he could use this ability to move away again (possibly provoking attacks of opportunity from his opponent).

Tier 2 Abilities

Cover Ally (Requires Dodge Training): Once per round when and ally within 5 ft. would be struck by a melee or ranged attack, the monk can choose to suffer the effects of the attack. The monk must choose to cover the ally before the effects of the attack are determined (i.e., before damage is rolled, saving throws are called for, etc.). Using this ability uses up one of the monk's daily uses of Stunning Fist.

One With the Weapon (Requires Offensive Training): The monk chooses one weapon with which monks are normally proficient. The monk may now use masterful strike, precise strike, and the Stunning Fist feat with that weapon. These monk class abilities may only be used with ranged weapons if the target is within 30 ft. This ability may be chosen multiple times. Each time it is chosen, the monk may either choose another weapon or may increase the range at which the abilities may be used by 30 ft.

Rapid Strike (Requires Speed Training): Once per round the monk may make an extra attack with his primary weapon at his highest attack bonus, either before or after his regular actions. Using this ability uses up one of the monk's daily uses of Stunning Fist.

Strike and Hold (Requires Grappling Training): Once per round as a free action, the monk may attempt to establish a hold against any opponent he hust hit with an unarmed strike. If he succeeds, he may deal additional damage to the target as with an unarmed strike. He then has the option of letting the target go or of moving into the target's space and maintaining the grapple. Using this ability uses up one of the monk's daily uses of Stunning Fist.

Tier 3 Abilities

Counterattack (Requires Dodge Training and Offensive Training): Once per round when a foe within reach misses the monk with a melee attack, the monk may make an immediate attack of opportunity against the foe. This ability may not be used in conjunction with the weapon trap ability. Using this ability uses up one of the monk's daily uses of Stunning Fist.

Devastating Strike (Requires Grappling Training and Offensive Training): When a monk has successfully stunned a foe with a stunning attack, he can opt to initiate a bull rush as a free action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Unlike a normal bull rush attempt, the monk does not need to move with the target in order to push him farther than 5 feet. The stunned opponent is allowed to make a Strength check to resist the bull rush, albeit at a -4 penalty. Using this ability uses up one of the monk's daily uses of Stunning Fist.

Furious Grapple (Requires Grappling Training and Speed Training): Once per round when the monk is grappling an opponent he may make an extra grapple check as a free action at his highest grapple bonus, either before or after his regular actions. This grapple check may be used to perform any of the actions in a grapple other than casting a spell, regardless of whether the action takes the place of an attack or is a move action, standard action, or full-round action. This ability does not stack with haste, Cleave, or other effects that grant additional attacks.

Mastery of Strikes (Requires Offensive Training and Speed Training): As a free action, the monk can increase his Masterful Strike damage by one step (from d6 to d8). This bonus to damage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the monk's Wisdom bonus. Using this ability uses up one of the monk's daily uses of Stunning Fist.

Retaliatory Strike (Requires Dodge Training and Speed Training): Once per round the monk can make an attack of opportunity against any foe within reach that successfully strikes one of the monk's allies. This ability may be used in conjunction with the cover ally ability. Using this ability uses up one of the monk's daily uses of Stunning Fist.

Weapon Trap (Requires Dodge Training and Grappling Training): Once per round when a monk is attacked by a foe in melee but before the attack roll is resolved, he may make an opposed attack roll to catch the weapon in his bare hands. Modifiers are applied to both roll as if the monk were attempting to disarm the attacker. This ability may only be used once per round, and the monk must have both hands free to make the attempt. Using this ability uses up one of the monk's daily uses of Stunning Fist. If the monk fails, he is hit and damage is dealt as normal. If the monk succeeds, he has grabbed the weapon by the hilt, the flat of the blade, etc., such that he suffers no damge from the attack. The monk may now perform one of the following as a free action:

- Attempt to disarm the opponent, which does not provoke an attack of opportunity. If the weapon trapped is a natural weapon, this option is impossible.
- Automatically deal damage to the weapon as with an unarmed strike. If the weapon trapped is a natural weapon, the damage is dealt to the creature.
- Make a single unarmed strike against the opponent, who loses his Dex bonus to AC (if any) against the attack.

Once the monk has resolved one of these actions, the weapon is released. The attacker may continue with his turn as normal, including making additional attacks with other weapons if able.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stunning Fist (Su): At 2nd level, the monk gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat even if he does not meet the prerequisites. The DC for a monk's stunning fist is based on his Strength, Dexterity or Wisdom modifier (whichever is higher). A monk with the Stunning Fist feat may attempt a stunning attack a number of times per day equal to his monk level +3, plus one additional time per day for every four levels he has, but no more than once per round.

Improved Grapple: At 2nd level, monks gain Improved Grapple as a bonus feat.

Evasion (Ex): At 3rd level a monk can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the monk is wearing padded or no armor. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Piercing Strike (Ex): At 4th level, when using an unarmed strike, a monk may ignore 3 points of damage reduction of any type whenever he inflicts damage. At 8th level he may ignore 6 points of damage reduction when inflicting damage. At 12th level he may ignore 9 points of damage reduction when inflicting damage, 16th level he may ignore up to 12 points of damage reduction when inflicting damage, and at 20th he may ignore up to 15 points of damage reduction when inflicting damage. This ability also allows the bypassing of an objects hardness.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 5th level, a monk can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a monk already has uncanny dodge from a different class he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 6th level, the monk gains improved evasion. This ability works like evasion, except that while the monk still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Incredible Speed or Resilience (Ex): At 7th level and every four levels afterwords, the monk may choose incredible speed or incredible resilience. If he chooses incredible speed, his base land speed increases by +10 feet. This increase to speed is applied before the speed reduction from armor or encumbrance is calculated. If he chooses incredible resilience, he gains a Damage Reduction of 2/-. This damage reduction does not stack with other forms of damage reduction, but it does stack with itself each time Incredible Resilience is taken.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A monk of 9th level or higher can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking her, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target does monk levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum ranger or rogue level required to flank the character.

Adamantine Strike (Ex): A monk of 13th level, once per day, can imbue his attacks with both sheer force of will and all his physical might, allowing him to deliver a powerful, earth splitting blow. As a full round action a monk can deliver a single attack which applies his Wisdom bonus as a bonus to the attack roll. For this single attack, the monks unarmed strike and masterful strike bonus damage are maximized. The monks unarmed strike and bonus damage are treated as adamantine for the purposes of bypasses damaging reduction and hardness. In addition, his critical threat range is doubled, and his critical multiplyer increases by 1 for this attack. However, using this attack is incredibly draining, and the monk becomes Exhuasted for 1 round, and Fatigued for 1d4 rounds afterwords. At 17th level, the monk can use this ability once per encounter, and he only becomes Fatigued for 1 round after using it.

Pramxnim
2009-04-08, 10:29 PM
I must admit I just skimmed through the class (not even looking at the monk abilities just yet), but there are 3 things I noticed:

AC Bonus (Ex): I like this. Coupled with allowing the monk access to padded armor, this solves the horrible AC problem a monk has without some nasty tinkering (Like taking the Saint Template, Vow of Poverty etc.)

Piercing Strike (Ex): I love this. It's better than Ki Strike in its versatility. It's also useful at lower levels too. Two thumbs up!

Incredible Speed or Resilience (Ex): At 6th level and every three levels afterwords, the monk may choose incredible speed or incredible resilience. If he chooses incredible speed, his base land speed increases by +10 feet. This increase to speed is applied before the speed reduction from armor or encumbrance is calculated. If he chooses incredible resilience, he gains a Damage Reduction of 3/-. This damage reduction does not stack with other forms of damage reduction, but it does stack with itself each time Incredible Resilience is taken.

Bzzt! Warning flag. I have no problem with the speed, but the DR is mucho problematic. It caps at DR 15/-, 6 higher than the Barbarian (your Barbarian variant). This is a no-no in my opinion. DR has always been the Barb's own little niche. Giving the monk DR is iffy (though not completely unexplainable), but giving him DR that is potentially greater than the Barb's? I sense some problems here.

I'd suggest lowering the DR to 1/- per level it's taken at. Or lower it to 2/- and increase the Barb's DR gain.

The speed increase is an increase to base movement, so I can see shenanigans happening (but more land speed doesn't really mean too much).

A more in-depth review will come after I've mulled over the monk abilities a bit

EDIT: Since you've given them so many abilities, I think it is better if you kept the BAB to 3/4th HD.

EDIT 2: I just saw your edit. You removed the Monk's Wis bonus to AC? But then, what use is Wisdom to a monk? He could now focus solely on Str (or Dex) and Con and disregard Wis altogether. Monk classes have always depended on Wis in one way or another, removing this makes the class less Monk-like somehow (thematically I mean).

Jane_Smith
2009-04-08, 10:50 PM
Truthfully I was considering making the monk more of a martial artist type in general, streetfighters, monks, pit fighters, etc. I was even considering changing the entire NAME, but i couldnt think of anything other then monk. Notice the removal of alignment restriction.

I removed the wisdom bonus to ac because a friend of mine gave me a horrible, horrible idea. 1-level dippers. A cleric with 18 wisdom could take -1- level in monk, get +2 to all saving throws, speed training for an additional move, +4 AC, improved unarmed strike of 1d6, etc.. just from -1- level. That was a bit scary to me, im not sure how to make this work. Possibly a level 2-3 ability?

The reason for the damage reduction is simple - A monk isnt as much of a raw, physical brute as a barbarian, but the monk moves with damage, he knows how to asorb it and focus his willpower and very stance to take it. Consider a skinny man who can step in front of a vehicle and let it smash into him with little effects, but still not strong enough to rip something out of the ground like a tree, or lift the said car.

MeklorIlavator
2009-04-08, 11:08 PM
One method is to make the abilities depend on monk levels taken: for example, you gain a bonus to AC equal to your wisdom modifier up to your levels in the monk class. Also, most clerics would still want to wear armor, so that should help.

Jane_Smith
2009-04-08, 11:12 PM
I like the total monk level idea to.. and back up it goes! -glues cutt out back in place-

Pramxnim
2009-04-08, 11:22 PM
The fluff behind the DR is fine. The fact that the DR can be more than a Barbarian's is what scares me. There is a limit to how a skinny man can sway and reduce the damage dealt to him. He can avoid attacks with enough agility, sure enough, but that's reflected in AC. Now, Damage Reduction... Rolling with the blow to avoid damage can only achieve so much, and is generally not as effective as having a tougher build. I rest my case that a Barb's DR should be greater than a Monk's, by at least 4 (or 5). Granted, not all Monks are gonna focus all on DR, but you never know. Please reconsider the DR part.

+4 AC is really nothing. That Cleric is much better off conserving his casting potential (as spells are more potent than melee classes in general, and though I think your melee variants are stronger than normal meleers, that still applies). If you are afraid of dippers, make it so the AC bonus from Wis is limited by Monk class level. It's as simple as that.

Masterful Strike (Ex): This ability is stronger than the normal Monk damage (Giving 5d6 per hit at lvl 20). Are the extra d6s after the first static (and thus independent of size)?
I assume (and would much prefer it) that they are, since it makes small Monks viable and removes the common tactic of increasing a Monk's size to increase his unarmed damage (this Monk doesn't need that tactic, IMO).

How would this ability function with Superior Unarmed Strike and Monk's belt? The same, I would assume? How about with Fist of the Forest (a PrC in Complete Champion that moves the damage die up on step on the Monk table)? How about something more troublesome like the Initiate of Draconic Masteries (from Draconomicon, increases the die size of an unarmed strike, from 1d6 to 1d8)?

I really must reiterate how I feel about explicitly stating that those extra d6s are extra die that are independent of size. People will assume so, but some others might assume otherwise, and that's when it gets problematic.

To demonstrate:

1) If the ability functions the way I assume it functions:

A 20th level, medium-sized monk deals 1d6 + Str +4d6 on a successful hit (Average 17.5 + Str damage per hit). On a crit, he deals (1d6 + Str) x 2 + 4d6

If he took Improved Natural Attack, he'd deal:

1d8 + Str + 4d6 (Avg 18.5 + Str)

If he had Greater Mighty Wallop cast on him by a friendly lvl 20 Wizard, he deals

4d6 + Str + 4d6 (Avg 28 + Str)

If he had both, he'd deal:

6d6 + Str + 4d6 (Avg 35 + Str)

This is still less than a Core Monk, who could potentially deal 12d8 per hit (or 54 + Str average), but that's fine, since this monk has options.

HOWEVER, if it was the other way (and some people might assume it is if you don't specify), then...

You could potentially get:

6d6 + Str + 12d6 (63 + Str), a bit stronger than Core monk, but that's under the generous assumption that people won't try to break the colossal damage barrier.

The monk abilities look fine. They give more options to the monk and that's always good. Overall, great class fix

EDIT: Ninja'd by Melkor on the AC part

@Jane: See, Melkor's not a jerk. Otherwise, he (she? Sorry gender is not apparent on the net) wouldn't spend time reviewing your classes at all :P

Jane_Smith
2009-04-08, 11:37 PM
Ok, you got me on that part. -pats melk- Sorry I called you a jerk. Still, bedside manner. >> -poke-

Eh, i still beleive the Dr shouldnt be that much of a problem, considering the damage increase in all other classes ive made.. such as rangers favored enemys + deadly strike, fighters weapon mastery, plus my new Weapon Focus line of feats;

Weapon Focus 1: +1 attack, +2 damage. Improved requires +4 bab, gives +2 attack, +4 damage (doesnt stack). Greater requires +12 bab, gives +3 attack, +6 damage.

With barbarians they can give themselves an additional attack each round at their highest attack bonus, or just get their class level as a bonus to damage on a single attack. Not to mention paladins huge upgrade which is just.. well, speechless. Overall, when your common level 10 person can dish out roughly 20-50ish damage making DR 15/- by 20th level such a big deal. : x Plus, monks should be front line fighters, despite their low hit points, they should have something to make them asorb a few blows, right?

As for the masterful strike - your asumption is right, stuff like Improved Natural Attack, etc, will not function on the bonus damage gained at 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th level. Its an 'additional' damage bonus that the ability gives, and not the attack itself. I dont know how to clarify it any better. : (

lesser_minion
2009-04-09, 11:39 AM
I don't think there is anything here that I would be too keen to change. A couple of abilities might want rewording, however.

For padded armour, proficiency is irrelevant because there is no armour check penalty, so there is no point saying that they are "proficient in padded armour only". I like the idea of permitting them to wear some armour though.

With the 'this bonus may not exceed the monk's level', at the moment the wording looks slightly ambiguous whether that only applies to the Wisdom part of the bonus or the entire thing.

As for the benefits against damage reduction, bear in mind that any character can, at 1st level, deal damage that bypasses all damage reduction including DR/- and DR/epic without using any cheese or optimisation whatsoever.

The problem is getting that damage onto your primary damage-dealing attacks.

I'd suggest making at least the anti-DR properties of Adamantine strike available more regularly. You might also want to give them a way of hitting incorporeal creatures with unarmed strikes.

Cieyrin
2009-04-10, 09:56 AM
Ah, a personal favorite, the monk. They look so much better w/ Full BAB. These monks feel rather like the Defender class from the Midnight Campaign Setting, being rather martial minded, as opposed to mystical warriors. While removing the mystical fluff from the Monk is kinda sad, making them full-martial is potentially a fair trade off.

Kudos on letting them use padded armor, which otherwise lies in obscurity, since no one would use the stuff otherwise. It also lets them make use of armor special abilities without having to do silliness with Bracers of Armor, which is also coolness. Being a melee class without access to many of the standard magical boosts appreciated by the other classes, it's like the Monk's being welcomed back into the fold.

Now, I do have a quip with Improved Evasion. As your class currently stands, your Monk could have Improved Evasion before he even has Evasion, which makes no sense. I'd move it up to a Tier 3 ability with the prereqs of both Defensive Mastery and Dodge Training to deal with that minor faux pas.

I like how the Monk now has the Uncanny Dodge chain. It needed it, at least the first step of it, since they're supposed to be trained to deal with attacks from all directions and keep they're cool.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Jane_Smith
2009-04-11, 01:20 AM
Possibly i could take Improved Evasion out of the teirs all together and give it to the monk at a mid/high level?

Cieyrin
2009-04-11, 10:51 AM
That works out, too. Looking at your variant Rogue and at the monk class table, 6th level appears to be a good location for it.