PDA

View Full Version : Body Manipulation Feats

EdroGrimshell
2009-04-10, 06:17 PM
I only have three feats so far and will add more as I go. I would seriously like some ideas for feats to add, most use alchemy as a method of creation, although others may have their own unique requirements. I also welcome better names for the feats.

In regions where magic is commonplace, the more mundane populace will sometimes attempt to keep up with those that possess magic. Through the use of chemicals, drugs, intense training, and alchemical processes, a character can manipulate his body structure to gain certain extraordinary and quasimagical abilities. Each grants a benefit and a drawback do to the nature of these manipulations. Those that practice body manipulation often go unnoticed, however, more advanced practitioners become truly monstrous individuals with obvious mutations that make them stand out in a crowd. These advanced practitioners are often reclusive or adventurers. These feats are meant for high magic campaigns where any character can take ranks in the Craft (alchemy) skill.

Scaled Armor [Body Manipulation]
Through the use of alchemical unguents, you grow scales to protect yourself.
Prerequisites: Craft (alchemy) 4 ranks
Benefits: Your natural armor bonus increases by one + 1/4 your character level (to a maximum of +6). A creature without a natural armor bonus has a natural armor bonus of +0.

Claws [Body Manipulation]
By treating your nails with alchemical substances to harden and grow them out, you gain a pair of claws.
Benefits: You gain two natural claw attacks that each deal 1d4 + your Str mod points of damage. These claws do not negatively affect your manual dexterity in any way.

Steel Jaws [Body Manipulation]
By reinforcing your jaw and adding specialized enhancements, you gain a powerful bite that you can use in combat.
Benefits: You gain a natural bite attacks that deals 1d6 + your Str mod points of damage.

Ponce
2009-04-11, 02:25 PM
Scaled armour is very underpowered and sort of rendered superfluous by Improved Natural Armour (MM). Maybe make it scale (1 + 1/4 levels or something). The others seem fine, a bite attack is handy to have alongside a regular full attack, claws can be a nice backup or can be buffed up.

EdroGrimshell
2009-04-11, 03:01 PM
Well, consider the other feats that grant natural armor. it pretty much resembles those feats, but i like your idea fairly well, however, i am working on a carapace idea and was planning on using the scalled armor feat as a prerequisite.

Ponce
2009-04-11, 03:05 PM
It does resemble those feats, and those feats are also underpowered. 1 feat for +1 NA is not worth it, in my opinion. Even if there was a second feat in the chain that made it scale, its still not worth it because the scaling armour bonus is worth 1 feat, not 2.

BlueWizard
2009-04-11, 04:25 PM
:smallconfused::smallconfused::smallconfused:

EdroGrimshell
2009-04-11, 07:31 PM
It does resemble those feats, and those feats are also underpowered. 1 feat for +1 NA is not worth it, in my opinion. Even if there was a second feat in the chain that made it scale, its still not worth it because the scaling armour bonus is worth 1 feat, not 2.

i see yor point, changed it.

please, any ideas on other feats

Zeta Kai
2009-04-11, 07:56 PM
Horns [Body Manipulation]
By treating the crown of your head with specialized enhancements, you gain a pair of horns that you can use in combat.
Benefits: You gain a natural gore attack that deals 1d6 points of damage + your Strength modifier. This damage is doubled if employed in a charge attack.

Zeta Kai
2009-04-11, 07:59 PM
Wings [Body Manipulation]
By treating your back with specialized enhancements, you gain a pair of wings that you can use to fly.
Prerequisites: Craft (alchemy) 8 ranks.
Benefits: You gain a Fly speed of 30'/round. These wings only give you a maneuverability of Poor.

Emong
2009-04-11, 08:09 PM
Perhaps Scaled Armour could be called Squamous* Mutation?

I only ask because you mention suggesting names and I've been wanting to use that word for a while.

*Scale-Covered

Zeta Kai
2009-04-11, 08:12 PM
Spade Claws [Body Manipulation]
By further modifying your claws, you can use them to burrow through the earth.
Prerequisites: Craft (alchemy) 8 ranks, Claws.
Benefits: You gain a Burrow speed of 20'/round; this can be used to tunnel through dirt, but not through stone. These claws give you a -2 penalty to all Craft, Disable Device, Forgery, Open Lock, Sleight of Hand, & Use Rope checks. However, they also grant you a +3 bonus to all Climb, Escape Artist, Intimidate, & Swim checks.

EdroGrimshell
2009-04-11, 08:27 PM
Thanks zeta, these are pretty good so far, i didn't even think of wings. although i have to think on how alchemy could help create wings.

Zeta Kai
2009-04-11, 08:51 PM
Thanks zeta, these are pretty good so far, i didn't even think of wings. although i have to think on how alchemy could help create wings.

A WIZARD DID IT. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AWizardDidIt)

:wink:

Pie Guy
2009-04-11, 08:53 PM
Acid Spit [Body Manipulation]
By treating your mouth and toungue with chemicals, you gain the ability to produce acid.
Prerequisites: Craft (Alchemy) 9 ranks
Benefits: You can spit acid as a swift action. This is a ranged touch attack that deals 1d6/2 character levels. It has a range increment of 30 feet, and cannot be used again for another 1d4+1 rounds. You also gain a +2 bonus on fortitude saves against ingested poison.

You had to see this coming.

EdroGrimshell
2009-04-12, 08:50 AM
Acid Spit [Body Manipulation]
By treating your mouth and toungue with chemicals, you gain the ability to produce acid.
Prerequisites: Craft (Alchemy) 9 ranks
Benefits: You can spit acid as a swift action. This is a ranged touch attack that deals 1d6/2 character levels. It has a range increment of 30 feet, and cannot be used again for another 1d4+1 rounds. You also gain a +2 bonus on fortitude saves against ingested poison.

You had to see this coming.

I did. it's funny really, if someone didn't come up with one soon i would have posted my own, however i like this one more.

Zerg Cookie
2009-04-12, 09:17 AM
Claw-Walk [Body Manipulation]
By further modifying your claws, you can use them as feet to increase your speed
Prerequisites: Craft (Alchemy) 8 ranks, Claws
Benefits: When unarmed, you can use your claws as feet to increase your speed by half (rounded down).
Special: When using Claw-Walk, you are considered prone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#prone).

Improved Claw-Walk [Body Manipulation]
Prerequisites: Craft (Alchemy) 12 ranks, Claws, Claw-Walk
Benefits: As Claw-Walk, but doubles your speed instead.
Special: You are no longer considered prone when using Claw-Walk

Gills [Body Manipulation]
Prerequisites: Craft (Alchemy) 12 ranks
Benefits: You can breath underwater indefinitely. This does not affect your air-breathing abilities.

Fins [Body Manipulation]
Prerequisites: Craft (Alchemy) 8 ranks
Benefits: You can swim at up to your normal speed as a full-round action while swimming. You can move at up to half your normal speed as a move action. You still need to make swim checks.

EdroGrimshell
2009-04-12, 06:23 PM
Claw-Walk [Body Manipulation]
By further modifying your claws, you can use them as feet to increase your speed
Prerequisites: Craft (Alchemy) 8 ranks, Claws
Benefits: When unarmed, you can use your claws as feet to increase your speed by half (rounded down).
Special: When using Claw-Walk, you are considered prone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#prone).

Improved Claw-Walk [Body Manipulation]
Prerequisites: Craft (Alchemy) 12 ranks, Claws, Claw-Walk
Benefits: As Claw-Walk, but doubles your speed instead.

Gills [Body Manipulation]
Benefits: You can stay submerged forever. This does not affect your air-breathing abilities.

Fins [Body Manipulation]
Benefits: You can swim at up to your normal speed as a full-round action while swimming. You can move at up to half your normal speed as a move action. You still need to make swim checks.

These are good, although it is wierd that you'd be considered prone with claw-walk, most animals with claws can attack with their claws and aren't considered prone, and i'd guess you'd have specialized training to be able to do so without being an easy target

Pie Guy
2009-04-12, 07:02 PM
Clotting [Body Manipulation]
Your blood has been treated, and now no longer seems to stay wounded.
Benefits: You gain Fast Helaing 3. This improves to FH4 at level 12, FH5 at level 15, and FH 6 at level 18.

Regeneration [Body Manipulation]
Your body has been so altered by chemicals that you are no longer threatened by most normal means.
Prerequisites: Craft (Alchemy) 21 ranks, Clotting
Benefits: If you would have normally been killed, you remain at -9 HP until either your body regenerates or your brain is destroyed.Any limb that gets cut off renerates in 2d4 minutes, and if your head gets seperated from your body, your body regenerates from your head in 2d4 hours at which point you begin healing normally. You are immune to non magical ability damage, including poisons.

The second is supposed to be powerful. Ninth level spells and epic are looming ahead, get used to it.

Faulty
2009-04-12, 07:06 PM
Claws [Body Manipulation]
By treating your nails with alchemical substances to harden and grow them out, you gain a pair of claws.
Benefits: You gain two natural claw attacks that each deal 1d4 + your Str mod points of damage. These claws do not negatively affect your manual dexterity in any way.

Steel Jaws [Body Manipulation]
By reinforcing your jaw and adding specialized enhancements, you gain a powerful bite that you can use in combat.
Benefits: You gain a natural bite attacks that deals 1d6 + your Str mod points of damage.

This assumes a Medium sized creature? Would the damage change based on size?

Draken
2009-04-12, 07:31 PM
[B]Gills [Body Manipulation]
Benefits: You can stay submerged forever. This does not affect your air-breathing abilities.

Anyone can stay submerged forever, most people just die after a couple of minutes.

Jack_Simth
2009-04-12, 07:51 PM
Magical Absorption, Lesser [Body Manipulation]
Prerequisites: Craft(Alchemy) 8 ranks
Benefit: A careful regimen of alchemical treatments has left you with the ability to soak up magical effects... although it is very dangerous to do so. When you fail a save against a magical effect, you may choose to take damage equal to 3d6*the effective spell level of the effect and instead be treated as though you had passed the save. You must make this decision immediately upon finding out (as the player) that you have failed a save against a magical effect.
Special: This feat may be taken as a fighter bonus feat.

Magical Absorption [Body Manipulation]
Prerequisites: Craft(Alchemy) 13 ranks, Least Magical Absorption
Benefit: Your continued regimen of alchemical treatments has left you to soak up magical effects much more effectively ... although it is still quite dangerous to do so. When you fail a save against a magical effect, you may choose to take damage equal to 2d6*the effective spell level of the effect, to instead be treated as though you had passed the save. You must make this decision immediately upon finding out (as the player) that you have failed a save against a magical effect.

Magical Absorption, Greater [Body Manipulation]
Prerequisites: Craft(Alchemy) 18 ranks, Magical Absorption
Benefit: Your continued regimen of alchemical treatments has left you to soak up magical effects much more effectively ... although it is still somewhat dangerous to do so. When you fail a save against a magical effect, you may choose to take damage equal to 1d6*the effective spell level of the effect, to instead be treated as though you had passed the save. You must make this decision immediately upon finding out (as the player) that you have failed a save against a magical effect.

Reaper_Monkey
2009-04-12, 07:55 PM
This looks fun, my 2cp then...

Pitched Eyes [Body Manipulation, Eye Manipulation]
Your eyes have been treated with alchemical substances making their pupils grow and lose their iris, allowing them to be more sensitive in light and function better in dark areas.
Benefits: You gain low light vision and darkvision equal to 30 foot times the number of eye manipulation feats you have, but are now sensitive to light. If you already have darkvision increase its range by the same amount as would be grated by this feat.

Piercing Eyes [Body Manipulation, Eye Manipulation]
Your eyes have been treated with alchemical substances making the pupils shaped like that of a cats eye, allowing you to perceive things that others may not.
Benefits: You gain see invisibility as an at will spell like ability, with caster level as you class level, this ability can be used a number of times a day equal to the number of eye manipulation feats you have.

Arcane Eyes [Body Manipulation, Eye Manipulation]
Your eyes have been treated with alchemical substances imbuing them with magical energies making them subtly glow, and allowing you to perceive magical auras.
Benefits: You gain detect magic as a persistent spell like ability, its range is equal to 15 foot times the number of eye manipulation feats you have.

Horizon Eyes [Body Manipulation, Eye Manipulation]
Your eyes have been treated with alchemical substances which make you appear as though you are always looking out to the horizon and past anything you are actually focusing on. You find it easier aim over larger distances, however people are more uneasy around you.
Benefits: You may consider the range of any weapon increased by one-half when you are using it, and may increase the range of any spell by one-half for free equal to twice the number of eye manipulation feats you have a day.

Insectile Eyes [Body Manipulation, Eye Manipulation]
Your eyes have been treated with alchemical substances which makes them slightly multifaceted and allow you to see just into the infra-red.
Benefits: Due to your multifaceted eyes you gain +2 times the number of eye manipulation feats you have to spot and search checks.
Also due to your ability to see some infra-red light you can reduce the concealment miss chance by 10% against warm blooded creatures, and gain a further +4 spot check to spot any hiding creature that is warm blooded. These abilities only work in normal heat conditions, in extreme heat these abilities may fail to work.

Void Eyes [Body Manipulation, Eye Manipulation]
Your eyes have been treated with so many alchemical substances that they have converted into a purely magical substance making them appear to be hollow or missing, as such your eyes are no longer vulnerable as normal eyes are, however these benefits come at a cost.
Prerequisites: Craft (Alchemy) 14 ranks and three eye manipulation feats
Benefits: You are now immune to blinding effects and gaze attacks, and lose any light sensitivity you may have had and gain void sense to 5 foot. In areas where magic is suppressed you are considered blind however, although your blind sense still functions perfectly.
Special: This feat counts as two eye manipulation feats for the purposes of other feats that count the number you have.

EdroGrimshell
2009-04-12, 08:24 PM
This assumes a Medium sized creature? Would the damage change based on size?

Yes and Yes

Zerg Cookie
2009-04-13, 03:25 AM
These are good, although it is wierd that you'd be considered prone with claw-walk, most animals with claws can attack with their claws and aren't considered prone, and i'd guess you'd have specialized training to be able to do so without being an easy target

But you're not an animal.
As for the specialized training, that makes sense. So I changed Imp. Claw-Walk

Anyone can stay submerged forever, most people just die after a couple of minutes.

You can breath underwater indefinitely...

Edit: New feats that came to my mind :smallbiggrin:

Silent Claw-Walk [Body Manipulation]
Prerequisites: Craft (Alchemy) 15 ranks, Claws, Claw-Walk
Benefits: When using your Claw-Walk ability, you gain a +5 bonus to your move silently checks. This bonus increases to +7 if you have Improved Claw-Walk.

Improved Fins [Body Manipulation]
Prerequisites: Craft (Alchemy) 12 ranks, Fins
Benefits: You gain a +5 bonus to all swim checks

Wing Attack [Body Manipulation]
You can use your win to attack
Prerequisites: Craft (Alchemy) 12 ranks, Wings
Benefits: When attacking with your wings, you deal 2d4 damage (1d4 with each wing).
Variations: Small creatures deal 2d3 damage. Large creatures deal 2d6 damage. Huge or Gargantuan creatures deal 2d10 damage. Colossal creatures deal 4d8 damage (2d8 with each wing).

J.Gellert
2009-04-13, 01:32 PM
These are good ideas and recently reading a lot of China Mieville I find bio-thaumaturgy interesting roleplaying-wise. But you can already do many of these things with Grafts, which are essentially items and therefore much cheaper than feats.

Regardless, I have found that inspiration for things like this can be drawn from superheroes (especially mutants) so if you want more ideas...

Cieyrin
2009-04-14, 12:47 PM
Improved Fins [Body Manipulation]
Prerequisites: Craft (Alchemy) 12 ranks, Fins
Benefits: You gain a +5 bonus to all swim checks

Wing Attack [Body Manipulation]
You can use your win to attack
Prerequisites: Craft (Alchemy) 12 ranks, Wings
Benefits: When attacking with your wings, you deal 2d4 damage (1d4 with each wing).
Variations: Small creatures deal 2d3 damage. Large creatures deal 2d6 damage. Huge or Gargantuan creatures deal 2d10 damage. Colossal creatures deal 4d8 damage (2d8 with each wing).

Improved Fins doesn't seem that great in comparison, as it's simply an improved version of Skill Focus(Swim). I'd personally expect a swim speed equal to my normal land movement by this point, which comes with a racial Swim bonus.

Small typo in Wing Attack makes me add it to my sig. =D