PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who Easter Special

Kaelaroth
2009-04-11, 11:06 AM
Today, in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, and neigbouring provinces that receive British televisual broadcasts, the Easter special of Doctor Who arrives.
And here, good folks, is where you can discuss it! :smallsmile:
Go!

Jibar
2009-04-11, 11:10 AM
It will be a wondrous event marked only by the fact it is part of the David Tennant count Down.
3 left. :smallfrown:

Kaelaroth
2009-04-11, 11:14 AM
Mm. I miss Eccleston, still. But, yeah, Tennant's going.
And Bionic lady's in this one, with the cruddiest backstory ever. I has teh misgivings.

EvilDMMk3
2009-04-11, 11:27 AM
Is this a Rusty episode or one by The Moff?

Kaelaroth
2009-04-11, 11:42 AM
Is this a Rusty episode or one by The Moff?

Russell T Davies.

EvilDMMk3
2009-04-11, 01:43 PM
Thought I might do a blow by blow. Obviously, this will be disjointed.Unimpressive looking cup for all the fuss.
Why glowy beams?
And no one is watching the thing they are guarding.
Oh dear lord, roof entry.
GAH the swap of stupidity.
Where is your CCTV?
That bus driver is either a moron, or, um.
Do I know that cop from somewhere?
Hang on Follow That Bus?
Rusty, be careful about tacking that close to offending a relegion.
Hey, another thingy wingy detetor!
Save me from the star trek shake!
OK, bad joojoo cup I am guessing.
And... A desert. But what hit the roof of the bus to cause all that harm?
Clicky person is, um, clicky and freaky lady is freaky.
Oh, the dead! Like in the title?
Ah, show don't tell about the three suns. OK. Bus driver, stop obsessing about the bus you are on an alien world.
Oh that glasses thing is nice.
Super taste returns!
I wonder where they filmed this sand?
Oh! Ripples!
OK, nice little nightmare fuel there with the skeleton.
UNIT TEH AWESOME!
Ah, the answer to the thing about the bus.
Appointing a leader and, thief lady takes over. Well this Doctor hates leading:smallwink:.
Leaders delegate, fun. But that pun was uncalled for.
Lady is a prophet.
Lottery winners but not too greedy, I like.
Sob stories galore! And Christina stumbles...
The Doctor made his promice.
HERE COME UNIT! Still wearing berets into combat zones I see.
She has a trenching tool? WEIRD.
OK she is certainly not keeping her cover.
And the bus is dead. Lovely.
And they wander off. Little banter, death in a short interval I guess.
Lady Christina, Aristocrats are evil? Yeah.
Hang on, LARA CLONE!
Ok, sand is evil then. FUN.
Hehe, pizza joint.
UNIT phone tree?
Finally he uses his contacts to solve problems!
She is saluting, on the phone, oh, my, lord, dear, me.
Dr Malcolm wears fingerless gloves, never a good sign.
Bernard, Quatermass...
Invert the image, inverting always works in this show.
More and more of bug man.
Storm is a swarm...
Apparently the TARDIS does not work at this distance.
OK, fly man is not the villain per se.
More fly peoples. Good thing they are not the primary villains they look real daft!
Telepathic translator is also lie detector.
Jiggerypokery anyone?
Concussive engineering for the win!
Other side of the universe?
Fly people are flies? TRY HARDER RUSTY!
OK death world was not always death world.
And the Doctor is telling all his secrets? Really? He was never this open with Rose or the others.
1 year to desert? 2:3 for their own war weapon gone wrong.
It is always bad news.
Wormhole is growing. At least UNIT can think.
Aaaaaand, now they are out of petrol. Champion.
OK, those look like a more credible alien.
20 minutes to death. FOR EARTH.
OK I was wrong, wormhole traveling space nasties.
Velocity makes a wormhole? How does that work?
Wasn't the internet chatter about a cyborg lady?
Yes, why did the fly people crash?
They stalled.
They stalled.
THEY STALLED!
What is Christina going to do? Cat burgle FTW? Oh ok.
"The aristocracy survives for a reason? Wha?"
"Try the big red button..."
Icelandic, no one invests all their money in type of thing.
And the Flymen have a creature onboard.
Wot no whiplash?
Capitan can't leave his ship? Why these great universal principles that match ours?
Well that got rid of the problematic aliens.
"NOT NOW MALCOM!" Some of these lines are either good or Narm, not sure yet.
Wait, drive the bus by the wheels? Would the bus stand up to that?
She said POSSIBLE Code Red you MORON!
Gold.
Hehe, "Gold" watch.
Only 80 million for that? Cheap.
Congrats Mrs UNIT Lady, the internet now hates you.
UNIT threatening its own with guns? HERE COMES THE AUTHORITY IS BAD ANVIL!
Flying bus is, flying...
GAH PICTURE GONE.
PICTURE BACK!
You know I don't think this episode paces well...
Well done UNIT. You failed to react to a FLYING DOUBLE DECKER BUS after being told Code Red.
For gods sake close it!
AND THERE ARE SPARKS!!!!!
500 Bernards?
Sigh
The Whoniverse now has a new daft unit, the Doctor used it so the Fanwriters will keep it.
Wow, they are using something other than small arms.
The guns work. Nice change.
I guess the alien thingies will starve to death now if they can't make a new wormhole.
Hang on, how could the fly people read that it said 200?
Also was that a 300 pun?
I love you? Slashers HO!
First class TARDIS service.
And apparently The Queen knows The Doctor well enough to let him park.
Ha. No time travel for you thief lady! Perhaps future villain?
Oh broody again.
PICTURE!
Your song is ending, it is returning.
He will knock four times? PLACE YOUR BETS!
Doctor don't! No freeing the thief lady!
The police don't get no respect.
Floaty bus getaway in 3, 2, 1...
The girl will fly...
OK, several bad turns avoided, pacing was never first class, no real nasty villain, The Waters of Mars.
7/10

Mr.Silver
2009-04-11, 01:52 PM
Heh, pretty decent ep all-in-all. And I'm not saying this just due to my weakness for Michelle Ryan :smallwink:

Sure, not amazing but the special effects were above par, reasonably tense (my younger sisters were getting quite worked up towards the end). Nice to see UNIT with some real artillery and doing stuff Michelle Ryan in tight-fitting black trousers decent acting - if psychic woman's screamings got a bit annoying - and some pretty nice Doctor moments.
"Promise me you'll be careful with it."
"I promise." *proceeds to bash priceless relic with a hammer*

Oh, and Lee Evans. Yay!

500 Bernards indeed:smallamused:

Jibar
2009-04-11, 02:03 PM
It had its poor moments, and all the signs of Russel T Davis except curiously any kind of tacked on gay romance, but otherwise I quite liked it.
Mostly because I found it very funny. Honestly, I think this just might have been the funniest episode I've seen and I have no idea why. I'm not even sure a lot of it was meant to funny. :smalltongue:
Also, despite her terrible, terrible background it was an assistant who DID SOMETHING. Who was COMPETENT.
Why is this so hard to write!?
Apparently if you show up in one episode as the assistant, you get to snog David Tennant. Yeah. Sign me up.

BlueWizard
2009-04-11, 02:05 PM
Today, in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, and neigbouring provinces that receive British televisual broadcasts, the Easter special of Doctor Who arrives.
And here, good folks, is where you can discuss it! :smallsmile:
Go!

Jealous in California. :smallcool:

EvilDMMk3
2009-04-11, 02:09 PM
UNIT has more than just small arms and their guns work! WOO HOO!

BlueWizard
2009-04-11, 02:22 PM
I do look forward to seeing it, when ever we get it.

Kaelaroth
2009-04-11, 03:14 PM
I didn't like it.
Michelle Ryan couldn't act. At all, and neither could Lee Evans (the fact that he was there didn't cheer me up). Tennant didn't get to be nearly as awesome as he could've been. UNIT were proved to be bastardly, and were only given weapons so that they could still epically fail in comparison to the doctor. I thought the psychic woman was freaking annoying. The kid from Skins was distracting (perhaps my fault). It was too rushed. The alien insects looked tacky, though I'll admit the stingrays were coo'.

Though, next time's looks AWESOME.

Dihan
2009-04-11, 04:44 PM
I saw it yesterday in an exclusive preview in my town's theatre (Theatr Twm o'r Nant) held by BBC Wales.

The presenter, some dude from BBC Radio 1 Wales, was attacked on stage by a Cyberman. Then we got an exclusive message from David Tennant telling us to have a "Pasg hapus" (happy Easter) and to enjoy the show.

It was a lot more special sitting up in a theatre and watching it on a large screen.

Totally Guy
2009-04-11, 06:55 PM
Ah, because the girl had never been in the Tardis they showed the fly people speaking in fly language.

Fortunately I think I knew what what they were saying most of the time.

"Welcome to Fly-man vehicle supplies, please take any parts you might need. No I won't leave my ship despite you taking the crucial engine part required for it to even be considered a ship. What would we ask for in return instead?" *shrugs*

DraPrime
2009-04-11, 06:57 PM
It will be a wondrous event marked only by the fact it is part of the David Tennant count Down.
3 left. :smallfrown:

Why am I the only one that doesn't like David Tennant?

Sneak
2009-04-11, 06:58 PM

Oh, that's probably just because there's something wrong with you. :smalltongue:

Anyway, I'm gonna watch the special online tonight. Hooray for intarwebs!

Yana
2009-04-11, 09:18 PM
So, do we Yanks get to see either of the released specials anytime soon?

Sneak
2009-04-11, 09:49 PM
*cough* (http://www.streamingepisode.com/video/5042/Doctor-Who-S4-Special/)

I thought it was pretty good, all in all.

Also, I liked the guest companion (Lady de Souza). And not just because Michelle Ryan = yum. :smallamused:

Jibar's right...a competent companion was a good change of pace.

'Bout all I've got to say. :smalltongue:

DraPrime
2009-04-11, 10:34 PM
Oh, that's probably just because there's something wrong with you. :smalltongue:

Now my good Sneak, provide me with a valid argument.

streakster
2009-04-12, 01:00 AM
Well, my attitude can be summed up in a quote:

"I love you! I LOVE YOU!"

That, ladies and gentlemen, was good television.

Jibar
2009-04-12, 02:08 AM

Because you're the only person in the world who could be considered 100% heterosexual?

Haven
2009-04-12, 02:23 AM
I had the same idea as DMMk3.

-So she's a great cat burglar (even if they couldn't spring for a roof for their laser cage thing) but her escape plan was stand around looking really conspicuous and then bribe a bus driver with diamonds? Right.

-"I was there, you know. What really happened was-oh!" That was cliche, but it got a chuckle out of me anyway

-First painfully killed redshirt, 11 minutes in!

-"Good thing I'm here!" Part of me wants her to be the next companion (not just because she's hotter than Trisolis here), but, really, that schtick got old with Donna's "I'll have a salute too!", so.

-"...exacerbated by an alien sun"? Really.

-Aw! That was really sweet and heartwarming and aw. God bless the Doctor and his humans are special attitude! And...they're all going to die horribly, aren't they? Probably including the girl...the specials aren't very kind towards potential companions.

-That's not meant to be an older Martha, is it? It's so not.

-Hmm, 19 minutes in and they haven't started exploring. I guess this makes a lot more sense, even if I've been conditioned to expect start walking to be the default idea.
--19 minutes and 10 seconds: oh.

-"Let's just say we're two equal mysteries." Hah! No.

-Heh, I had the same response as the doctor to 'lady': "ooh!"

-Okay, now I feel like she'd be an awesome companion, but the "we were made for each other!" probably just sealed her fate. Also: no more Tennant. :(

-For some reason I thought he had perfect memory. I'm not sure why, apart from the fact that it's only 1 point in M&M.

-"Did you just salute?" "...no." Heh.

-Why is the wormhole guy a monkey?

-"We all know what that day will bring"....wonder if that's something specific, or just the fact that they're aware that it's probably not going to be "The Doctor Dances" when he's in town?

-"Really? What was your favorite?" Hee.

-Wow, you'd think the Doctor of all people would have some tolerance for eccentricity.

-"You're my new best friend." That's better. Okay, Malcolm can be his companion then. Or maybe he'll die horribly by the end of the episode too.

-This is a really useless psychic power.

-"That's how I like things, extreme." I'm going to assume that's an in-character case of desperately trying to prove how hardcore she is, and move on.

-"slowly tortured" What the hell? Where did that come from?

-Aw, I was hoping they'd make Tennant do that thing the whole time. It was a pretty good analogy of an insect's face and sound.

-"...uh, etcetera." heh. that's a good workaround for posturing I guess.

-"Sorry, what's the 200?" "It's the bus." =/ You really should've picked up on that, Doc.

-Why is having a damaged vessel grounds for suspicions of wormhole causation?

-"And the translator says I'm telling the truth." Glad that's out of the way.

-Is that all? None of the insects tried jiggle and kick? He didn't even wave the screwdriver at it. Maybe there's phlebotinum in his Converses.

-..."frequently"?

-"Sanhelios". I'm just gonna assume he made that up on the spot.

-Why is it they always go to a place and that's what the whole planet is like? They couldn't discover they've landed on a desert of an otherwise varied world. Stupid single biome planets.

-"Just remind me never to kiss them." Because you're sexy. And x-treme. Right, well, that wouldn't discourage Jack.

-"Sanhelios City". Also presumably made up on the spot. You know, this show probably makes a lot more sense if you assume The Doctor is just a very hammy, very lucky compulsive liar. Now there's a poison oak epileptic tree for ya.

-"Yeah, but you don't have to kiss me either." But she's gonna anyway. And then die. This show.

-Oh, well, at least there's an explanation for the single biome planet. A straight-up subversion would've been nice though. (I don't know why I'm letting the tropese leak in even though it bugs the piss out of me whenever I see it myself. Well, I'll try not to be too egregious--take a shot!--with it.)

-The correct reaction is "Sorry you can't keep your promise", but, I'll let it slide.

-Shouldn't they be moving forward?

-So the flying omnivorous squids operate on the same principle as the Flash?

-"The worse it gets, the more I love it." I'm thinking Agatha Christie's response was the right one here. But I guess you do get jaded after a while.

-Making the winch glow green was pretty cool.

-Wait, really? To get past the security system you have to hit the big red button on the same side of the forcefield as you?

-"Good boy." Okay, now she's in her element. I hope this doesn't mean they're going to give her a sequence where she's upside down every week just to make people enjoy her. Actually that could be cool, if she just hung upside down in the TARDIS all the time.

-The bottom of the ship looks like the inside of Moya. Come to think of it, she looks like Aeryn Sun.

-I really don't think radiated body heat at that range would make a difference. But of course that was just a setup line.

-Oh, so that's how it's a security system.

-"...if there's a bus standing by", the little-known escape clause to going down with the ship.

-Wow, you really should have let them finish explaining why they crashed.

-Took half an hour for the second death, and it wasn't even one of the passengers. Although I do find the bug guys oddly sympathetic for some reason.

-What was that thing and why did they think it would make a difference? We'll never know. But not listening to the Doctor say "no don't"--#1 preventable cause of death across the universe. Somehow I got the feeling those two weren't going to survive, though.

-...You picked up the phone just to shout "not now?"

-You still could've let her keep the crystal, you know.

-She, um, didn't tell them the Doctor's coming through first, did she.

-Was the watch bit supposed to be comic relief of some sort?

-Okay, after the old "is she greedy enough to die!?" thing, the Doctor beating a priceless artifact with a hammer was a nice level breaker. But you could just go grab that gem, you know.

-..."What I meant was, it'll take me a little more time to get that worked out?"

-It's the magic school bus! Oh man, the Doctor is totally Ms Frizzle.

-If he's not sure if it'll make it, he should probably be driving a little closer to the ground.

-Malcolm, you can hit the damn button now.

-Oh dear, not as brilliant as you thought.

-Metal squid hit with a missile. Satisfying.

-"I don't believe it-guns don't work!" That should be covered on the first day of UNIT. "First lesson: Your guns will never work."

-Maybe these things just have trouble going in a straight line?

-"Did I say I hated you?" YOU'RE ABOUT TO GET EATEN. YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN SAFE IF YOU HADN'T SAID THAT.

-"Oh, she doesn't mind." Heh. So queens aren't still the natural enemies of the Tenth Doctor? Well, I guess he did stop the palace from being completely destroyed.

-...she has radioactive implants?

-Take her! Take her! Take her! Look at those eyes.

-That psychic lady was spectacularly pointless. He's a time traveler! He doesn't need any more damn foreshadowing than that.

-What's with the swelling omnious music and the face close-up? I know Lost is confusing itself with Doctor Who, but it doesn't go both ways!

-Huh, okay, I guess she didn't get eaten. She would have been a good companion, though.

-"Waters of Mars"? There's a really dirty joke in there, I'm sure.

EvilDMMk3
2009-04-12, 04:07 AM
Also, I liked the guest companion (Lady de Souza).

Ah now this brings up the old, is she a companion if she never traveled in the TARDIS issue...

Starscream
2009-04-12, 04:31 AM
I quite liked it. I have a feeling that the next couple of specials are going to be first scary then sad, as we countdown to the End of Ten. So it was nice to see at least one more fun/silly episode where he gets to be cheeky and witty instead of grim.

It will come as news to no one that Michelle Ryan is sexy. And she's competent from the beginning, not someone who is simply inspired to greatness by the Doctor. That's nice.

The other passengers didn't have enough of an effect on the story to really register. Really, they were just there so Ten would have someone to give his standard "Go Team Human!" speech to. But it was a nice speech nonetheless.

Both the flies and the stingrays were silly but cool. The monsters of NuWho have been a mixed bag, with some being very impressive and other looking silly. This is typical for science fiction series (got to save the budget money for the important episodes), but I honestly think they sometimes intentionally make the monsters ludicrous out of respect for tradition. You can't tell me the Cybershades from the last special weren't that stupid on purpose! The old series had a budget that wouldn't get you a couple of value meals at McDonalds, but was still awesome.

Oh, and I liked Malcolm. Reminds me of several people I know. And I must admit, I would have the exact same reaction to meeting The Doctor. Yes, I'm that pathetic and I laugh at your scorn.

Mostly this was just a funny, enjoyable episode. I really look forward to Moffat's taking over of the series next year, because his scripts have been the best of the new series. But judging from his stories, we can expect a great increase in the level of Nightmare Fuel ahead, so I'm going to relish the silliness of the show while it's still around.

8/10

BlueWizard
2009-04-12, 04:37 AM
:smallcool::smallcool::smallcool:

Cheesegear
2009-04-12, 08:26 AM

...Well, I don't not like David Tennant; But, I miss Eccleston. I thought he was great.

Also, not enough Captain Jack. That is all. :smallwink:

Kaelaroth
2009-04-12, 08:37 AM
I miss Eccleston. I thought he was great.

Truth. That should be everyone's feelings. They're mine, too, at least.

Thufir
2009-04-12, 08:42 AM
I miss Eccleston. I thought he was great fantastic.

Fixed that for you.

EvilDMMk3
2009-04-12, 08:45 AM
My dad is still busy missing Hartnell.

Jahkaivah
2009-04-12, 09:14 AM
Gah I really can't stand Russel T Davies writing.... just 3 more episodes...

Heads_or_Tails
2009-04-12, 09:55 AM
Saw it just then, 3 cheers for the internet, and gotta say I liked it a lot more than the last one. No idea really why, but I just think the entire thing worked better for me. (Although, had just come back from Dragonball: Evolution, so it seemed even better) Though I was annoyed at the whole, extremely competent cat burglar, who steals and makes it look easy, but then stands around waiting for the security system to go off, thing.

Although, thinking back on it, how great of a companion would she have actually made? Her immediate reaction to seeing her partner? boyfriend?, getting caught was "Oh well. Bye." Probably not a great choice for the Doctor to have backing him.

As for knocking four times, grasping at straws I know, but knock out the Master's sound of drums and how many beats is it before it repeats? (Ok, I just like the Master.)

Silent Hunter
2009-04-12, 10:26 AM
An excellent episode, I'd say.

5 out of 5.

Aidan305
2009-04-12, 10:38 AM
All in all a good episode. I particularly enjoyed the reference to Midnight.

Haven
2009-04-12, 02:18 PM
Although, thinking back on it, how great of a companion would she have actually made? Her immediate reaction to seeing her partner? boyfriend?, getting caught was "Oh well. Bye." Probably not a great choice for the Doctor to have backing him.

I assumed it was just some random guy who was in the wrong place at the wrong time; she seemed pretty surprised when he was caught. And she say "Sorry, lover" because she is x-treme like that.

Comet
2009-04-12, 03:16 PM
I enjoyed it. The soundtrack, for some reason, stood out nicely. Good vibes, that.

Good, solid Doctor fun. Alien fishes swimming in the air fast enough to rip holes in the multiverse is a neat concept.
Now for some fanb0i speculation: who will knock four times? Who will do the Doctor in?

I bet it's the daleks. :smallwink:

Mr.Silver
2009-04-12, 03:46 PM
I enjoyed it. The soundtrack, for some reason, stood out nicely. Good vibes, that.

Good, solid Doctor fun. Alien fishes swimming in the air fast enough to rip holes in the multiverse is a neat concept.
Now for some fanb0i speculation: who will knock four times? Who will do the Doctor in?

I bet it's the daleks. :smallwink:

How exactly is a Dalek going to be knocking?:smalltongue:

Dihan
2009-04-12, 03:58 PM
The Doctor dies in the last episode on Christmas day, therefore I shall surmise that the whole "knock four times" is the latest companion trying to tell a "knock knock" joke, but ends up saying "knock" a few too many times, resulting in the Doctor being distracted from the danger that has just appeared behind him which will probably be the Master who has regenerated into Santa Claus.

I wouldn't put it past RTD.

Dragor
2009-04-12, 04:31 PM
The Doctor dies in the last episode on Christmas day, therefore I shall surmise that the whole "knock four times" is the latest companion trying to tell a "knock knock" joke, but ends up saying "knock" a few too many times, resulting in the Doctor being distracted from the danger that has just appeared behind him which will probably be the Master who has regenerated into Santa Claus.

I wouldn't put it past RTD.

That's more plausible than anything I've thought up of so far, don't worry.

The episode was mediocre going on good. What I'm thinking about, though, is the 'knocking four times'. It being Moffat, I feel that he may skip the trend of bringing back old villains and simply throw everyone off by making a new one.

Also, I may not be in touch with modern culture as much as I should be, but the adverts for the phones and stuff on the side of the bus... is that real-life advertisement, or am I just really hungry for some sort of clue? (The Neon phone thing, if you weren't sure).

Kaelaroth
2009-04-12, 04:33 PM
Wasn't a real advertisement. The Beeb apparently prides itself on never having product placement.

GrlumpTheElder
2009-04-12, 04:44 PM
I think that the Knocking four times will be the Master. It just seems right.

In the Christmas one, I hope the Doctor regenerates after an epic battle with an enemy (or all his enemy fused into one super enemy). That would be brilliant.

Jibar
2009-04-12, 04:53 PM
Unless he's been lying to us, Davis always said that he only left that ring thing in for the next lot to use. He had no intention of using the Master again.
Which is why I suspect Davros!
Who will literally show up for thirty seconds with a 9mm and shoot the Doctor in the neck and then drive away, giggling like mad.
Because that would be hilarious.

Aidan305
2009-04-12, 04:56 PM
I'm wondering if we'll be seeing the return of the Ice Warriors in the next episode. I seem to remember an article back in October mentioning that they would be back.

EDIT: Found it (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article1770729.ece)

Also, Daleks. That's not something we've seen before. Guess we know who'll be offing the doctor then.

Szilard
2009-04-12, 08:55 PM
Thanks to YouTube, I saw it. It was a pretty good episode, and the whole "knock 4 times" thing sounds ominous.

Tamburlaine
2009-04-13, 01:58 PM
I wasn't really sure about this one, it seemed... skeletal, as though just the bare bones of a plot had been filmed, but without any real meat to it. I suppose that might have to do with the difficulties they had with filming and the damage to the bus, but i really felt they could have done better. However, none of this stopped me enjoying it, and it was a pleasant way to spend an hour.

As for the alien stingrays flying around fast enough to create a wormhole, I didn't so much find that a neat concept as a quite frustrating one. I realise the inherent ridiculousness of criticising pseudo-science and techno-babble in a program so strongly bound to them as Doctor Who, but that in particular seemed a bit lacking in effort on the writing end of things.

Dragonprime, you aren't the only one who doesn't like David Tennant as the Doctor. I personally am finding Ten to be more and more like an irritating child who throws murderous tantrums every now and again; how else would you characterise a man who kills a guy with a satsuma?

I don't have a clue who it is that's supposed to be knocking four times, but my father (an old school whovian) reckons it could be Sutekh...

chiasaur11
2009-04-13, 02:12 PM
I wasn't really sure about this one, it seemed... skeletal, as though just the bare bones of a plot had been filmed, but without any real meat to it. I suppose that might have to do with the difficulties they had with filming and the damage to the bus, but i really felt they could have done better. However, none of this stopped me enjoying it, and it was a pleasant way to spend an hour.

As for the alien stingrays flying around fast enough to create a wormhole, I didn't so much find that a neat concept as a quite frustrating one. I realise the inherent ridiculousness of criticising pseudo-science and techno-babble in a program so strongly bound to them as Doctor Who, but that in particular seemed a bit lacking in effort on the writing end of things.

Dragonprime, you aren't the only one who doesn't like David Tennant as the Doctor. I personally am finding Ten to be more and more like an irritating child who throws murderous tantrums every now and again; how else would you characterise a man who kills a guy with a satsuma?

I don't have a clue who it is that's supposed to be knocking four times, but my father (an old school whovian) reckons it could be Sutekh...

But Sutekh is dead!

Died of old age, gone, kaput, taken out of existence...

Oh, right. Doctor Who, where the title character has died nine times already. Carry on then.

Starscream
2009-04-13, 04:43 PM
I personally am finding Ten to be more and more like an irritating child who throws murderous tantrums every now and again; how else would you characterise a man who kills a guy with a satsuma?

As a genius, of course.

That'd be pretty cool. We need some more old monsters brought back. The daleks will always rule, but seeing them once a season is a bit much, especially as they tend to take up multiple episodes and need to be made more dangerous every single time.

Tamburlaine
2009-04-13, 04:56 PM
As a genius, of course.
Touche.

That'd be pretty cool. We need some more old monsters brought back. The daleks will always rule, but seeing them once a season is a bit much, especially as they tend to take up multiple episodes and need to be made more dangerous every single time.
Yeah, I reckon the daleks have lost a lot of their power as villains through repeated appearances and defeats, getting more ridiculous each time. I personally would love to see the raston warrior robot return, if only so there would be a foe the doctor couldn't have a moral debate with first.

small pumpkin m
2009-04-13, 09:23 PM
How exactly is a Dalek going to be knocking?:smalltongue:

Technically Daleks knock all the time, the problem is it involves destroying the door, so they can't do it four times.

Thrud
2009-04-13, 09:28 PM
I know, it's going to be space pirates with a robot parrot!

Oh, wait, Douglas Adams is dead and no one else could write that one. Hmm, probably couldn't be done without Tom Baker as the Doctor, either.

Still, I enjoyed the episode and, and am wondering about the whole dying this Christmas thing. Originally the press releases said that it was going to be at some point next season that the switch was going to happen. Then they kinda changed their mind and said it was going to happen on the finale of this season. I think it would be kinda cool if they throw us a curve ball and it just happens at some random point next season and not actually at the finale this year. Yeah, I know it probably isn't going to happen that way, but damn it would be cool if they faked everyone out.

And I am going to miss Michelle Ryan. Or more truthfully I will miss the way she fills out her trousers.

:smallbiggrin:

Edit-Hmm, and now that I think about it, they always said it was going to happen after the 4 specials this year, and that Tennant would go on the christmas special. My memory was just playing tricks on me. Hmm, well, my post was pretty much rendered pointless then. Except that I still think it would be cool if he didn't die in a season ender, and it just happened somewhere in the middle of a season.

Mauve Shirt
2009-04-13, 10:32 PM
Very nice episode. I like the way he works with a companion better than on his own, though.
I can't wait til the regeneration.

Sutremaine
2009-04-16, 03:52 PM
-"I don't believe it-guns don't work!" That should be covered on the first day of UNIT. "First lesson: Your guns will never work."
The line is 'guns that work'. This is the reason I watch it subtitled. :p

I was pretty disappointed the first time round, as it was an hour long special, one of only a very few episodes this year, and one of DT's very last performances as the Doctor (I'll miss him. I won't miss Ten). I was expecting something heavy, not a timed fetch quest.

The script doesn't give Lady de Souza any characterisation beyond 'thrill-seeking aristocrat cat burglar who fancies the Doctor', and the woman playing her not only gave her no personality beyond that, but mangled her lines by delivering the vast majority of them as though they were a punchline for a trailer.

The Doctor was pretty annoying too. "Oh hi, I'm the lord of a very large estate and I love adventure too and I go to alien planets all the time. Please allow me to put into your mind the thought of kissing me, or, if it was there already, my acknowledgement of that thought. Also, don't we make a good team?"
*later*
"You mean you finally took the bait and kissed me (an event that continues to stun me into rigidity despite it happening three times a week)? Well, in that case LEAVE ME ALONE I MUST BE ALONE WITH MY PAAAAIIIIN"

oh god will you just die already you're nearly as messed up as Edward friggin' Cullen

Also, you'd think that after the trouble caused by him dressing in a tight suit and giving Martha that smouldering look way back in Smith & Jones, he'd keep an eye on the signals he puts out to women.

But apart from that, it wasn't too bad and I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around (I was very surprised at the body count). I did think the characteristion of the general or whatever was a little inconsistent. She's played a little for laughs with the 'did you just salute' line and then at the very end she drops the stiff upper lip a little and jokes about paperwork. In between those two parts, when Malcolm refuses orders... Can you say Big Lipped Alligator Moment?

I'm not doing too well with the positives here, am I? Overall, it was middling good with some general positives and a lot of specific negatives. I liked the Tritovores, even if they weren't fleshed out enough. I liked the 'villains' of the episode, even if their unique nature was ignored in favour of making them just the Threat of the Week.

I think it could have been a lot stronger with more time spent uncovering the links between the storm, the Tritovores, and the TotW. A shorter setup and fewer characters would have gone a long way without any major changes being needed. Who here cared about the passengers, really?

Jibar
2009-04-16, 04:08 PM
Aw, give him a break.
After all the tension between him and Rose as number 9, his regeneration made him to be ultra loving and sexy and what not. It's why they employed Tennant in the first place, I'm sure. :smalltongue:

Starscream
2009-04-16, 07:06 PM
t's why they employed Tennant in the first place, I'm sure. :smalltongue:

Yeah, I have two female friends who I have turned on to Doctor Who. And I mean that phrase in every possible way. Ever since they started watching with me it's all they can do not to drool on the carpet when either Ten or Captain Jack is on screen.

I can sort of understand liking the Doctor, but Jack will sleep with anything that says yes (and probably a few things that say "Baa") and must have every space STD in existence by now. Dude's been pimping it up for at least a century or two after all, and has millions of years more ahead of him.

Sutremaine
2009-04-16, 08:01 PM
Aw, give him a break.
After all the tension between him and Rose as number 9, his regeneration made him to be ultra loving and sexy and what not.
Unfortunately for all concerned, he's terribly out of practice, scarred from the Time War, and his tenth incarnation is probably his least stable. He was aiming for Casanova and got Campbell Bain instead. :smallconfused:

I liked the Doctor and Rose better when they were just good friends and the Doctor didn't really grasp Rose's sexual attraction. Once he really realised what it meant for a human to love him as she would another human and started to return that love, things got very awkward on the rare occasions when they sat down and talked instead of giggling like teenagers (one word: mortgage).

Haven
2009-04-18, 12:55 PM
The line is 'guns that work'. This is the reason I watch it subtitled. :p

I'll watch you subtitled!

Well, I'm not viewing a dub of your post right now anyway.

I think it could have been a lot stronger with more time spent uncovering the links between the storm, the Tritovores, and the TotW. A shorter setup and fewer characters would have gone a long way without any major changes being needed. Who here cared about the passengers, really?

Indeed. There was quite a bit of unnecessary padding, they really could have done more in that department. They could have even explained how a bunch of metal squids flying around the planet--not even very fast--creates a wormhole. I can accept that spinning makes wormholes, but not when it's so slow and most of them aren't even moving in the same direction (when he sends that probe into the cloud most of them are just flying about aimlessly)!