PDA

View Full Version : 4th edition Pirate Encounters

HMS Invincible
2009-04-11, 11:21 AM
How should I play with this idea? My party is besides the vast ocean with islands and I was thinking what kind of encounters they should have when they venture out into the ocean.

How do I show off some naval combat? Do I just place a room down and say the edges are the boat? I guess you could have the boats rope each other together as they start fighting, but I don't have too many ideas.

This applies to combat via airships as well.

hamishspence
2009-04-11, 11:23 AM
Adventurer's Vault had rules for the vehicles. though they are pretty simplistic.

Players Guide to Faerun had a "pirate" type paragon path for martial classes.

Dannoth
2009-04-11, 11:43 AM
I'd print boat templates on an 11x17 paper and manuever them around. They have rules for boat movement speed and boat hardness/HP

Rules you'll want to be familiar with:

Athletics checks (Swining from ship to ship, swimming in armor, etc)
Push Vs. Pull effects (shoving somone off the boat is bound to come into play)

If you are trying to link the boats up for boardings - Grappling hooks would be at the top of my list (Rope vs Chain) also boading planks which can be shoved loose.

Drakefall
2009-04-11, 11:45 AM
What you could do, if you're using minis, is cut out a piece of paper of the same size as the appropriate ships and have your characters stand whatever they're using as mini's on that, and have the enemies do the same. Now you can just move the paper-with-dudes-on-it around as dictated by the drivers, currents, squid-powered-jetski's, etc.

If you're markers you can also just draw the movement. Pins present a problem though unless you use some pin-cushion like device as the boats/airships.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-11, 12:03 PM
The Item Damage rules in the DMG are completely borked. I came up with a Hardness Variant that seems to work pretty well.

Here they are:
To start with, we still use the Break and Force DCs, as well as the HP table (though we might simplify that later), but all objects now have Hardness values.

Hardness Table:

Heroic
Hide = Resist 5
Wood = Resist 10

Paragon
Stone = Resist 15
Iron = Resist 20

Epic
Adamantine = Resist 25
Starmetal = Resist 30

Modifiers
Reinforced = +2 Resist
Weak = -2 Resist
Enchanted = +2 Resist

In addition, the current rules regarding damaging objects are replaced with these:
- Objects may be attacked by any power the DM rules could target the object, unless otherwise noted in the power description. Powers that target Will can never be used to damage an object.

- Ranged or Close Weapon Attacks cannot damage an object of Medium size or larger, subject to DM rulings.

- Sneak Attack, Hunter's Quarry, Warlock's Curse and similar Class Features cannot be used on objects. An object can never be Marked or Divine Challenged. Objects cannot be targeted by a Coup De Grace attack.

- Objects of size Medium or larger are immune to powers that push, pull and slide, subject to DM rulings.

- Any melee attack that hits an object of size Medium or larger results in a Critical Hit. Powers that are triggered by Critical Hits are never triggered by an attack on an object, though extra damage from magical items and feats are rolled as normal. Ranged and Close attacks against Small or smaller objects do not automatically result in Critical Hits - roll damage as normal.

This solves the "kobolds with spears sinking the Big Ship" problem.

The "make a grid and use it" suggestions are pretty much what I'd say. If you're particularly industrious, find a way to make them 3-D for added awesome. Yarn works very well for "ropes" between ships, but in general they should only be a board's length apart for a boarding action anyhow.

Do you plan on modeling other naval activities, like navigation?

HMS Invincible
2009-04-11, 08:49 PM
The Item Damage rules in the DMG are completely borked. I came up with a Hardness Variant that seems to work pretty well.

Here they are:
To start with, we still use the Break and Force DCs, as well as the HP table (though we might simplify that later), but all objects now have Hardness values.

Hardness Table:

Heroic
Hide = Resist 5
Wood = Resist 10

Paragon
Stone = Resist 15
Iron = Resist 20

Epic
Adamantine = Resist 25
Starmetal = Resist 30

Modifiers
Reinforced = +2 Resist
Weak = -2 Resist
Enchanted = +2 Resist

In addition, the current rules regarding damaging objects are replaced with these:
- Objects may be attacked by any power the DM rules could target the object, unless otherwise noted in the power description. Powers that target Will can never be used to damage an object.

- Ranged or Close Weapon Attacks cannot damage an object of Medium size or larger, subject to DM rulings.

- Sneak Attack, Hunter's Quarry, Warlock's Curse and similar Class Features cannot be used on objects. An object can never be Marked or Divine Challenged. Objects cannot be targeted by a Coup De Grace attack.

- Objects of size Medium or larger are immune to powers that push, pull and slide, subject to DM rulings.

- Any melee attack that hits an object of size Medium or larger results in a Critical Hit. Powers that are triggered by Critical Hits are never triggered by an attack on an object, though extra damage from magical items and feats are rolled as normal. Ranged and Close attacks against Small or smaller objects do not automatically result in Critical Hits - roll damage as normal.

This solves the "kobolds with spears sinking the Big Ship" problem.

The "make a grid and use it" suggestions are pretty much what I'd say. If you're particularly industrious, find a way to make them 3-D for added awesome. Yarn works very well for "ropes" between ships, but in general they should only be a board's length apart for a boarding action anyhow.

Do you plan on modeling other naval activities, like navigation?
How would I model naval combat such as cannons? Just use a blast or burst aoe and have it roll against the ship's armor? What weapons do ships usually carry?
How would I model navigation? Should I bother? Also, the majority of ships have crew running the ship, how would the PC's run ships? What would they roll?

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-11, 09:38 PM
How would I model naval combat such as cannons? Just use a blast or burst aoe and have it roll against the ship's armor? What weapons do ships usually carry?
How would I model navigation? Should I bother? Also, the majority of ships have crew running the ship, how would the PC's run ships? What would they roll?

(1) Cannons
You'll need to model powers off of these. I'd suggest lifting from the Alchemy rules and giving each type of cannon a fixed accuracy (e.g. +6 v. AC) and make a whole bunch of different ones (and shot types) - if you want to make cannon-fire and ship damage an important part of the game. Otherwise you can hand-wave it with a random table that provides different "terrain" effects.
Every round of combat, roll a d%:
0-50: Sound and Fury
Shots are fired, but no major damage
51-75: Incoming!
A cannon ball has landed on the deck, damaging the deck and possibly landing on some poor guy.
- roll a d6 to see which section of the ship it lands on (1-2: Bow, 3-4 amidships, 5-6 stern) and place a token roughly in the middle of the indicated section.
- roll a d10 for scatter distance and a d6 for direction (whichever way the "1" lands is the direction the ball goes; if up it overshoots, if down it lands on target - no scatter). If it scatters off the ship or overshoots, then no damage.
- anyone on the square that the ball lands on will have to make an immediate saving throw. If it succeeds, then he dodged the ball; failure indicated he is struck (do level appropriate damage, as per DMG 42).
- anyone adjacent to the impact spot (Burst 1) is knocked prone from the shock of the impact
75-90: A Hit, A Palpable Hit!
The latest barrage has seriously damaged the ship, forcing everyone to make an immediate save or be knocked prone. Anyone along the sides of the ship who fails a saving throw is knocked into the ocean.
91-99: Coming Through!
A cannon shot flies right through the fight!
- number the rows on the board 1 through N. Roll a die that has at least N sides, re-rolling any result over N. The number that comes up is the row that the cannonball flies through.
- every individual on that row makes an immediate Saving Throw; failure results in them taking level-appropriate damage. The ball will go through people it has hit, so everyone must roll. :smallamused:
- any object in the row automatically takes level-appropriate damage (reduced by Hardness). If it is destroyed, then the cannon ball goes on; otherwise it is stopped. Cabins automatically stop the cannon ball - it will smash up whatever is in the cabin though. Masts also automatically stop the ball with no ill effect.
00: She's Going Down!
Enough shots have been fired to fatally cripple one of the ships, and she is slowly sinking into the drink. First, resolve "A Hit, A Palpable Hit" action and then secretly roll 2d10+8 to see how many rounds it will take to sink.

(2) What Weapons?
Depending on your setting you can go from ramming prows to ballistae to cannons. Again, if you want to model these, you're going to have to come up with stats for them. But if your PCs aren't going to be firing them, just handwave it, possibly noting different ranges and effects for the different weapons, and maybe using a Skill Challenge to resolve broadsides or rams.

(3) Running the Ship
Generally you should hand-wave this stuff - only if a PC is doing an important function (manning the helm, navigating, or being the lookout) should you bother with a system. In those cases, do a Skill Challenge to see what happens.

For Manning the Helm, you might use Athletics, since it is a very physically demanding job.

For Navigation, go with Nature - to see if you can follow the natural signs well enough to not get lost.

For Lookout, use Perception if anything needs to be detected.

How's that sound? :smallsmile:

EDIT: Oh, and what do you still want to model. My general rule is "if it involves the PCs, model it. Otherwise, make it abstract" but YMMV.

Mando Knight
2009-04-11, 09:56 PM
Depends on the period your campaign emulates. If it's the standard medieval-type era, it won't be heavily armed, though you could probably have several weapons emplacements, probably functioning as oversized crossbows... (+2 proficiency, 2d6 damage, Load standard, cannot be moved, occupies one square)

How would I model navigation? Should I bother?
I wouldn't bother. Using actual naval navigation calculations would be too complex, and good tables for doing so weren't developed until the 17th and 18th centuries. If the characters have a map and a compass they should be able to get where they need to go.

Also, the majority of ships have crew running the ship, how would the PC's run ships? What would they roll?
So long as you have enough crew members, you shouldn't have to roll anything. For normal sailing, the PCs shouldn't have to roll for any checks, though you might consider Athletics checks to keep control of the vehicle in heavy storms.

Starbuck_II
2009-04-11, 10:04 PM
How's that sound? :smallsmile:

EDIT: Oh, and what do you still want to model. My general rule is "if it involves the PCs, model it. Otherwise, make it abstract" but YMMV.

Wow, that sounds good. If I ever use ship battles: I'll definately incorporate that. (maybe save this page as a favorite)

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-11, 10:27 PM
Wow, that sounds good. If I ever use ship battles: I'll definately incorporate that. (maybe save this page as a favorite)

Thank you! :smallredface:

I gotta say, after I whipped it up, I started thinking of excuses for having cannon battles in my campaign.

It's just like when I came up with a Perform & Sing Skill for 4E:
Instruments (DEX) / Singing (CHA)
The skill to play a variety of instruments and to sing. This skill is commonly used by court musicians, oral historians, and wandering minstrels.

Someone trained in Perform has had formal coaching in the common instruments of the Realms and in control of their voice.

DCs
Common - DC 10
Advanced - DC 20
Expert - DC 25
With Flair DC +2
Original Composition DC +5

Explanation
Perform can be used to attempt songs of varying difficulty level.

Common Music could take the form of a drinking song, a hymn, or any tune which could be played by anyone with a modicum of talent or training. This type of music is one of the major sources of entertainment for the masses.

Advanced Music is best only attempted by talented performers. The subtleties of sound or the complexity of scansion can easily trip up the inexperienced, but when performed by a skilled musician, it can evoke strong emotions from the listener. Music performed at a royal court is typically Advanced Music

Expert Music is rarely heard, but awe-inspiring. Written by the greatest composers of all time, this music requires unbelievable control to pull off - any mistakes, and the song is ruined. Kings who hear of an Expert Performer in their realm often command a performance, so rarely do people of this skill appear.

Occasionally, a pair of Performers may wish to show up the other. In such a situation, a song may be performed With Flair - the musician in question attempts to perform the song in a particularly flamboyant fashion in order to impress the audience. Of course, doing so is a risky endevour - even a well known song can be ruined by a performer trying a bit too hard to impress the tavern wenches.

Sometimes, musicians attempt to write songs of their own. Creating a piece of music is time intensive and requires lots of trial and error; very often, the only way music can be perfected by trying it out in front of an audience. Performing an unfinished piece is more difficult than performing a tried-and-true piece of the equivalent class, but over time your original composition can become part of the common canon too!

(Note: You can make up rules for turning original compositions into canon songs if you'd like).

I don't even use Perform in my 3E games, and now I want to run a campaign where song & dance plays an important role! :smalltongue: