PDA

View Full Version : Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann- Watching and Responding

Rogue 7
2009-04-11, 01:01 PM
Alright, after hearing about this series time and again from everyone on the godsdamned internet, and having the DVDs sitting around for quite a while, I'm finally watching, and recording my reactions in the manner of a "Where I Watch" thread on RPG.net. So..here we go!

OK, standard opening, team shots, flying, etc. Character shots of bunch of crazy looking folk, giant transforming robot, Ooh. Lots of drills. I've been spoilered all to hell, but I still don't really know what's going on.

Opens with a galaxy shot, then...zooms out KAABOOOM! **** is blowing UP! Technobabble...and stuff about fleets. Malestrom Cannon! And I recognize Yuri Lowenthal's voice, so I'm assuming this is Simon sometime in the future being all badass.

Now he digs and gets steaks for his trouble, but apparently he enjoys finding treasure. And now I kinda want some steaks. Little girls mocking him. Don't let 'em get to you Simon. You're heading for better things. And Kamina shows up. SOUL BROTHAS, and he tells imon not to care about the ugly girls. YOURS IS THE DRILL THAT WILL BREAK THROUGH THE HEAVENS! ...why? DON"T ASK QUESTIONS! Hee hee. Motivational speeches don't work with 3 morons and a kid with a little drill. They're riding piggies, and...get hit with a dude with a sword. Debate about finding the surface. We've been warned not to go to the surface, and Kamina's minions give up under threat of no food.

EARTHQUAKE! And Kamina's not running away...from an Earthquake. Nothing falls, so they're not dead. Kamina says that the surface doesn't have earthquakes, and the Chief chews him out and apparently beats him up.
Simon's parents died in an earthquake when he was 7. He knows they're all gonna die in an earthquake. And now he finds something shiny and I think I know what it is...
A drill pops up in an...odd position between Kamina's legs as Simon tells him to come with him. And they get caught...Chief beats on Kamina and doesn't do much...And then the cieling comes down with something big...an ugly skull. Kamina's all excited, because he sees the surface and he's posing awesomely. The thing gets up (it's huge) and starts wrecking the place. Kamina takes up the sword and confronts the beast with a katana. Ah, testosterone poisoning. Bad-ass leader! and everyone thinks he's a dumbass. Shots fired! It's Yoko, who just wasted the dude with her sniper. Kamina starts hitting on her, not that I can blame him. And now that he finds out she was from a pit and loses interest. Yoko's about to snipe the big thing out...When Kamina yells at it and blows the plan. Sigh.
They find the "face" Simon was talking about and he gets in. Simon wants to waste the big thing with his little face, and Kamina tells Simon to do it himself. Kick Logic out and do the Impossible! **** YEAH! Simon's frozen up, so Kamina tells him to believe in the Kamina who believes in him. And...here we go! Epic key-inserting sequence here, and the thing starts up. ZOOOM! But they've got no idea how to control it. Kamina names the thing Lagann, and Simon's dodging for all he's worth. The thing lands a shot, and Kamina and Yoko end up on top of the thing. Simon's got to recover and he's trying to psych himself up. The thing smacks itself in the head to get at Simon, and he blocks it and causes the thing to smash through its own head. It's not down, though and got it in its mouth. SImon turns the key... and a drill pops out! PErfect match! Kamina says CHARGE< MOTHER****ER and I agree! Bust through the heavens with your drill! And they just charge through the damn thing, jet-propelling it up and out! Whee, this is gonna be fun! Boom! THey're out, and they completely disintigrate the thing!

Wow, this world's a wreck. No green as far as the eye can see. Yoko finally introduces herself. And they're falling! Simon tanks the hit with his robot, and everyone's okay. Simon lands in..a rather comfortable position, acts all embarrassed...then gets pulled right back when they see two big foes in front of them.

So dude, this is great! Yoko is awesome, and being voiced by Michelle Ruff doesn't hurt.

This is the tale of a man who has yet to realize his destiny! Episode 2! 2 giant enemies! This place is crawling with enemies, and Kamina says this'll be fun. I agree. To hell with this! Kamina never yields, and takes on two things 100 times his size with a Katana, ranting about how manly he is. Yeah dude, good luck with that. You'll need it. Speech was awesome, though.

Kamina gives him a motivational speech to stop running and we get a very nice shot of Yoko's rear, who starts sniping, up until the mech's jets give out. Power's gone and Yoko's out of bullets. Reinforcements! And more Dakka wins the day! They take out one of 'em and beastmen are apparently pilots. Kamina thanks Simon for saving him...and the guy I've been introduced to as Leeron, a hilariously camp Steve Blum shows up. Kamina likes the view of the sky and Leeron show up and starts hitting on Simon and Kamina while blabbing about tech stuff. Simons towing stuff in his mecha and they get their taste that people die. Kamina says it's a waste of time and he gets overenthusiastic. Yoko says they're fighting by choice, and people are amazed at Lagann. K&S are asleep, exhausted.

We get a flashback to find out that Kamina's dad was apparently just like him, and Kamina wants to join his dad on the surface. Ten to one says that Kamina's dad is a general with the enemies. Everyone's getting psyched up because the Gunmen are attacking. They're posing unnecessarily, and a new mech shows up. Simon realizes that Gunmen are what caused the quakes that killed his parents, and we have HOT BLOOD! Time for a curb stomping!

Man, folk with handguns against giant robots, I'm impressed with their balls. THey lure the things into a trap, but it doesn nothing. Kamina wants to pilot that robot, and here goes Simon, mad as hell! Kamina's now telling him patience and the hypocracy amuses me. But Kamina's plan basically involves chargin on in. They're gonna get punched, but Yoko gives good fire support. Kamina ends up on the front of one of the Gunmen...and attempts to hammer into it with a pistol and nearly shoots his nuts off. Well done! Kamina's about to get crushed but Simon, still mad as hell, blocks the arm and drills it off. I suspect this will be a theme. Kamina throws the Beastman out, but he can't pilot the thing and they beat the snot out of him. Everything goes all trippy as Kamina sees a skull, and he basically wills the robot to work. WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM KICK! And Kamina's robot gets trashed. He baseball tosses Simon at the robots. Simon turns into a drill but the Gunmen dodge. Simon turns around and drills right back through 'em! Boom!

And the bones Kamina almost crushed turn out to be his dads. Damn. Let's see how Kamina takes it. Manly tears. And a heartrending "DAAAAAAADDDDDDD!"

Does every episode have some form of fighting? Because that'd be awesome.

Comet
2009-04-11, 01:45 PM
Congratulations on picking up TTGL! You're going to have so much fun. :smallsmile:

Are you watching the dubbed version? If so, the nitpicker within would like to point out that the thread should be named "Gurren Lagann" since that's what the dubbed version is called. Apparently "heaven piercing crimson face" or w/e is too epic for us westerners to handle so they shortened the name.

I enjoyed reading this. And yes, this show has dangerous amounts of violent conflict resolving. Not nescessarily every episode, but close.

Ganurath
2009-04-11, 02:20 PM
Are you watching the dubbed version? If so, the nitpicker within would like to point out that the thread should be named "Gurren Lagann" since that's what the dubbed version is called. Apparently "heaven piercing crimson face" or w/e is too epic for us westerners to handle so they shortened the name.No, a nitpicker would point out that the subbed version should be watched instead due to the gross difference in mood from Kamina's respective voice actors. That difference alone is worth it.

Subbed: Manly Badass
Dubbed: Whiny Teenager

Reverent-One
2009-04-11, 02:41 PM
No, a nitpicker would point out that the subbed version should be watched instead due to the gross difference in mood from Kamina's respective voice actors. That difference alone is worth it.

Subbed: Manly Badass
Dubbed: Whiny Teenager

Unless you're referring to the "Kanima" from within the extra-dimensional space, Kamina in the dub never sounds like a whiny teenager. Seriously.

Ganurath
2009-04-11, 02:55 PM
Unless you're referring to the "Kanima" from within the extra-dimensional space, Kamina in the dub never sounds like a whiny teenager. Seriously.Well, the dub I saw on Animonday didn't do justice to the Japanese version. I suppose the stark contrast exaggerated my opinion some, though.

Prime32
2009-04-11, 02:58 PM
Unless you're referring to the "Kanima" from within the extra-dimensional space, Kamina in the dub never sounds like a whiny teenager. Seriously.

He is still nowhere near as EEEEEEPIIIIIIC, and the plot doesn't work as well if he's not epic.
Compare: WHOTHEHELLDOYOUTHINKIAM KIIICK! (Sub (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkkFPrNdKu0&fmt=18) / Dub (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr1ZxXKrK2c&fmt=18))

Leeron's voice is awesome though. :smallbiggrin: Nia's is pretty good as well. Viral... well, it grows on you.

The thing I hated most about the dub, though: Giga Drill Break. Not Breaker. Break. If you cannot understand how this is important, how would you feel if, say, Nanoha shouted "Starlight Break"?

Reverent-One
2009-04-11, 03:17 PM
Well, the dub I saw on Animonday didn't do justice to the Japanese version. I suppose the stark contrast exaggerated my opinion some, though.

He is still nowhere near as EEEEEEPIIIIIIC, and the plot doesn't work as well if he's not epic.

*shrugs*
It's just a matter of opinion, I suppose. I've searched out clips of the sub in order to compare the two, and I can't say I'd have an issue with either. There's some differences between the two, the subbed kamina's voice is a bit deeper than dubbed, while I'd guess dub Kanima is early 20's, I'd put sub Kamina mid-late 20's instead. And I think the dubbed Kamina has an greater emphasis on the sheer over-the-top, extreme self-assuredness that makes Kamina, well, Kamina.

Tengu_temp
2009-04-11, 03:25 PM
I'd guess dub Kanima is early 20's, I'd put sub Kamina mid-late 20's instead.

Do you mean the voice actor or the character? Because if it's the latter... Kamina is a teenager, no more than 18 years old. Yoko is 14. Yes, even if you take the (canon) explanation that people underground messed up the calendar and their years are longer than they should be, it still makes precious little sense. It's on purpose, like everything that makes no sense in TTGL.

Reverent-One
2009-04-11, 03:35 PM
Do you mean the voice actor or the character? Because if it's the latter... Kamina is a teenager, no more than 18 years old. Yoko is 14. Yes, even if you take the (canon) explanation that people underground messed up the calendar and their years are longer than they should be, it still makes precious little sense. It's on purpose, like everything that makes no sense in TTGL.

I meant if I was just going by the voice actor to guess age. And seriously, Yoko is 14? I assume this is stated in the manga somewhere?

Rogue 7
2009-04-11, 03:49 PM
I've only got the dub for the first third of the series or so. It's all Best Buy had, and I wanted the complete series, so I bought the other bits subbed. I'll see how the difference is when I get there, but so far I quite like it. Steve Blum is awesomely camp, and Michelle Ruff does a great job as Yoko. She's basically doing it with what I hear as her "Rita Mordio" (From Tales of Vesperia) voice, and if you ask me that's a good one. My only question is why on earth they pronounce Simon the way they do. Never heard anyone in real life called that.

Yeah. I'll probably put episode 3 up later tonight.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-04-11, 05:39 PM
Am I the only one on the forums that just did not like this show? I tried watching a few episodes, I gave it more of a shot than I did some other shows, and I was left with a splitting headache and really wanting to drink myself into a stupor. Not trying to flame, but I just want to know what the dillio is with this one? :smallconfused

Tengu_temp
2009-04-11, 06:37 PM
I think you either stopped watching before things really started to pick up, or are approaching this show too seriously. Everything being overblown and nonsensical is at least half of its charm.

Hectonkhyres
2009-04-11, 07:22 PM
One of these days I am going to have to figure out why Japan developed a sick obsession with cramming fragments of gratuitous english into an otherwise fully japanese exclamation. Really... pick one language or the other, dammit. Japanglish is one of those things that encourages my ears to form a suicide pact with each other.

Kamina's voice in the english dub it fine. Sure, it has a completely different personality to it and so the character is portrayed as something it was not originally intended to be, but I hardly think this new personality is in any way inferior. It speaks of someone vastly outmatched taking on a world far his superior through will, bravado, and testicular fortitude alone. If anything that makes the character even more compelling.

That said... TTGL is Gainax's apology to the world for screwing up NGE the first time around. And, oh god, they show exactly what a giant robot anime can be like when actually done right. It force feeds you over the top, unbelievable feats of transcendent glory and dadaist absurdity faster than the human brain can process what it is seeing. I pray future animators draw inspiration from TTGL because, dammit, the world could do with more series like it.

Rogue 7
2009-04-11, 08:06 PM
Honestly, a lot of the gratuitous English in Japanese may (I'm not entirely sure this is true) stem from the fact that those are actually the words used in Japanese. English is the exact same way, it's just that we notice it less because we do it so much. That or they just think it's cool.

And while I do think that hot-blooded awesomeness is a good thing (I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't), I don't think it belongs in all Giant Robot series. I know I love Full Metal Panic because it takes a fairly realistic and serious look at the concept, exploring how it might go in the real world. Throwing in the levels of crazy and OTT-ness TTGL brings to the table into that world would completely ruin it for me. Throwing that level of crazy and OTT-ness into the series is what caused me to go fairly sour on Code Geass- I liked it a lot better when the mechs were just shooting at each other with a bit of Robo-kung fu thrown in on the side than when they were flying around blowing each other up with energy beams. That coincided with a similar level of crazy in the plot, but that was definitely a part of it- the fights got boring.

darkblade
2009-04-11, 09:18 PM
I can't help but giggle uncontrolably at something from the same man that brought us the Freud-fest that was Evangelion with the line "Your's in the drill that shall pierce the heavens," and all the phallic drills. I'm starting to have my doubts that Anno got any better after NGE.

Xuincherguixe
2009-04-11, 10:03 PM
It's a wonderful, absurd show. And while not every episode is full of action, the vast majority are. And, it never seems to stop growing in scale. I won't spoil anything, but what you've seen so far is basically nothing.

Killersquid
2009-04-11, 10:48 PM
One of these days I am going to have to figure out why Japan developed a sick obsession with cramming fragments of gratuitous english into an otherwise fully japanese exclamation.

To be fair, English does it too. We have many loan words from French, Italian, and German dictionaries, and will take many, many more words.

streakster
2009-04-12, 01:10 AM
To be fair, English does it too. We have many loan words from French, Italian, and German dictionaries, and will take many, many more words.

Oh, quite right. What's that shirt? "English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them into dark alleys and mugs them for spare grammar?"

Trust me, Hectonkyhers Hecktonkyhres Heccy, you sound every bit as bad. To a speaker of many languages, much worse.

I find it amusing, actually. It lets me know what my accents must be like.:smallbiggrin:

Killersquid
2009-04-12, 01:39 AM
It's not just English and Japanese. My father and grandparents are from Italy, and they replace Italian words and phrases with English phrases. Granted they've lived in America for decades, but even when they speak to each other they do that.

Kris Strife
2009-04-12, 01:44 AM
I can't help but giggle uncontrolably at something from the same man that brought us the Freud-fest that was Evangelion with the line "Your's in the drill that shall pierce the heavens," and all the phallic drills. I'm starting to have my doubts that Anno got any better after NGE.

I'm guessing you haven't seen episode 6 yet? Its the bathhouse one. Simone's hand drill is all that keeps him 'decent' for half the episode. Kamina uses the little pigmole...

Tengu_temp
2009-04-12, 04:10 AM

TTGL is not Hideaki Anno's work. They kept him in the closet while working on the series.

Lord of the Helms
2009-04-12, 06:06 AM

Well, there is also the look of the Dai-Gurren (and Leeron's comment on how "beautiful" it is), the aforementioned bath house scene, the hilarious "so you're saying we need a bigger drill" scene, and, and, and... the entire series is pretty much two-thirds absurdly epic hot-blooded badassness and one third Freudian orgy. God, that sounds so wrong :smalltongue:

darkblade
2009-04-12, 08:51 AM
I'm guessing you haven't seen episode 6 yet? Its the bathhouse one.

I haven't actually seen any of the series yet. I only know what TV Tropes has told me.

Seraph
2009-04-12, 10:19 AM
One of these days I am going to have to figure out why Japan developed a sick obsession with cramming fragments of gratuitous english into an otherwise fully japanese exclamation. Really... pick one language or the other, dammit. Japanglish is one of those things that encourages my ears to form a suicide pact with each other.

to be perfectly fair, English pioneered the art of violating foreign languages in an alley and stealing their vocabulary centuries before Japan got over the whole "kill all foreigners on sight" thing.

Obrysii
2009-04-12, 10:32 AM
I have watched it largely on Sci-fi, but so far I can say that I am enjoying the series.

The unbelievably over-the-top mecha, done intentionally, is awesome. The whole show has this awareness of itself that it plays up - Yoko's a prime example.

Plus the English dub is unbelievable - they pretty much pulled out all the stops. Excellent voice acting for all of the major characters. LeRon's got Steve Blum voicing him, for crying out loud!

Dervag
2009-04-12, 11:40 AM
to be perfectly fair, English pioneered the art of violating foreign languages in an alley and stealing their vocabulary centuries before Japan got over the whole "kill all foreigners on sight" thing.Yeah. The English borrowed a lot of words and phrases from French and Latin when those were the 'global language' (or at least the 'pan-European language') of the day. Consider the origin of "et cetera," "ad hominem," and "status quo" from the Latin, or "car," "guard," and yes, "surrender" from the French.

It doesn't surprise me that other languages do the same thing.

Saint Nil
2009-04-12, 12:00 PM
Everything you need to know about Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCO3hTCRFYc&feature=related)

Comet
2009-04-12, 12:32 PM
Everything you need to know about Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann

*standing ovation*
I really wanna watch TTGL again. The movie can't come soon enough!

Prime32
2009-04-12, 01:07 PM
*standing ovation*
I really wanna watch TTGL again. The movie can't come soon enough!

Watch the video here: Tsudzuku Sekai (http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/gurrenlagann/tsudzukusekai.htm)

mellowship
2009-04-12, 06:22 PM
As someone else noted, Anno didn't direct TTGL. The one who did was Hiroyuki Imaishi, whose Dead Leaves is, if anything, even crazier.

hanzo66
2009-04-12, 06:52 PM

Well, it's a very Testosterone-filled show. With that comes a fair amount of Ho Yay, which is sorta a prerequisite for most Mecha shows, especially ones by Sunshine.

But yeah, it is a good show. The Dub is actually rather good in my opinion and Stephen Blum can make Leeron even more hilarious than the original.

Killersquid
2009-04-12, 06:59 PM
Well, it's a very Testosterone-filled show. With that comes a fair amount of Ho Yay, which is sorta a prerequisite for most Mecha shows, especially ones by Sunshine.

But yeah, it is a good show. The Dub is actually rather good in my opinion and Stephen Blum can make Leeron even more hilarious than the original.

Steve Blum is also extremely funny in the blooper reel. It should be on youtube somewhere...but that requires going to youtube...

Poison_Fish
2009-04-12, 07:46 PM

You mean sunrise, right?

Hectonkhyres
2009-04-12, 08:01 PM
Throwing that level of crazy and OTT-ness into the series is what caused me to go fairly sour on Code Geass- I liked it a lot better when the mechs were just shooting at each other with a bit of Robo-kung fu thrown in on the side than when they were flying around blowing each other up with energy beams.
So you are saying it wasn't the fact that half the main characters were thoroughly unlikeable bastards who alternated between kicking random puppies and dropping the idiot ball that soiled the series in your eyes... it was the fact that the mecha were too unrealistic?

Agrippa
2009-04-12, 08:15 PM
So you are saying it wasn't the fact that half the main characters were thoroughly unlikeable bastards who alternated between kicking random puppies and dropping the idiot ball that soiled the series in your eyes... it was the fact that the mecha were too unrealistic?

So, are any of the main Code Geass so bad you'd root against them in a fight to the death with Rorschach? If so, which ones, because from what I've heard Ledouche and Spinzaku are pretty much it. And this opinion is in spite of the Leluche and Suzaku fans/apologists I've seen on other sites.

Rogue 7
2009-04-12, 08:47 PM
Episode 3!

Let's make with the epic hot blooded fighting! I've had a boring day.

...Kamina seemed to have gotten over his dad's death, relating a heroic tale, but SImon's not into it and Yoko seems concerned for the both of them. Yoko wants to know why Kamina seems to have gotten over it. Simon offers an explanation, and both me and Yoko don't get it. Man, the combo of Michelle Ruff's voice and that outfit...

Kamina says they've combined 3 Ganmen into the one mecha, and Yoko offers to go hunting with Kamina. Kamina asks why the Ganmen haven't shown up, and Yoko says they only tend to come by in the mornings. Predictable enemies are easily exploitable, but I doubt Kamina'd care. Kamina accepts and brings Simon along, and Yoko's unhappy about that. Yoko gives some backstory on her village, and is now sniping with arrows. That's impressive. She offers Kaimna a shot, and Simon's down pumping water. Kamina goes to retrieve his kill, and there's another arrow in it, and one shoots past his head. Kamina knows how to use a gun now, quite well, and nearly gets his head cut off. Crazy dude (voiced by Sam Riegel- Naruto The Abridged Series was right when they said he sounds exactly the same, but he's a good VA) announces he's with the Human Eradication Force, Viral, and yes, I've been spoilered with what happens to this guy. Viral announces basically he's going to kill Kamina, who pulls out a sword that's at least twice the length of the scabbard, and unleashes one hell of a cut. Isn't there some legendary Japanese blade called the grass-cutting sword? Hama no Tsurugi I think. Either way, Kamina just pulled it off. Viral keeps getting in small slices with his meat cleaver, taunting that he's a trained swordsman while Kamina's a rank amateur, and Kamina pulls out an arrow and uses it like a knife to slice at Viral, and I make an exclamation of awesomeness. They're about to clash again when Simon shows up for the save and I'm disappointed they didn't get to finish. Yoko starts shooting and Viral dodges like a freakin' ninja, and suddenly a big old robot shows up. Kamina gets to his mecha and they have communications. Simon's a little nervous, but Kamina says he's got a drill and a Lagann and that's all he needs. Kamina's robot is damn big, but it's not much of a match. Simon rushes in with a drill attack, but some knives launched from Viral stop it and nearly kill Yoko. Bastard! Kamina calls out the Perfect ombustion of Manly souls Cannonball attack! Viral dodges, Simon bounces off for a second strike, and Viral launches a picture perfect back hook kick to knock Lagann out of the air. Kamina's charging in, but then Viral sweeps his legs out from under him (in a giant robot no less) and then rises to punch him in midair and send him flying into a cliff next to Simon. He charges up a massive laser blast and sets off a hell of an explosion (lovingly detailled, I notice). He notes they aren't dead, but the sun's going down so he'll finish tomorrow. Yoko sees the two drilling out of the dirt.

Kamina's mad at Simon for running away, and Simon just wants to go home. Simon- Your drill will dig for the heavens, not the other way, and Kamina's off to get some sleep. Yoko wants to pilot Lagann instead of Simon, but Kamina's got the faith. He admits it doesn't make sense, but says that since they're partners, he can believe in himself and Lagann. And I see why everyone heaps praise on Kamina. That was low-key awesome.

It's the next morning, and the rebels and Kamina are complementing each other on their guts, and Kamina offers them a place in Team Gurren- a place for MANLY MEN. They say they're honored. Leeron is confused as to why Lagann won't start up when there's nothing wrong with it, and Yoko's all hot-blooded and determined. YOU SHALL NOT PASS! They say the most dangerous enemy is one with nothing to lose, but one fighting to defend the only thing they've got left is probably just as bad. Viral shows up out of the sky and I question why he didn't try to just bullet Kamina. Then I remembered that that would mean we wouldn't have a fight. Music is playing, and I am prepared for awesome. Handguns are usesless, and Viral would kill the villagers if not for Kamina's intervention. Yoko takes a shot, but Viral blocks, and beats on Kamina. He shoots a barrage of missiles into Kamina's face, and Simon thinks it's hopeless. Yoko gives Simon a good kick in the pants, and he gets up to go fight. Things start glowing and he shouts out "I BELIEVE!!!" Kamina's going the determinator route, but gets tossed aside like a wrestler. Viral gets ready to fire a laser blast, but a thrown shoulder pad and Simon drilling up and smacking into Viral's head makes the blast go awry. And...we're gonna combine! They're gonna combine? They're gonna combine? They're gonna combine? Oh please honey. Sure enough, Kamina's method of combination is...to stab himself in the head. Everyone's kinda... and Viral remarks that they're stupid. Viral fires another laser blast, only to have it blocked by Lagann. Lagann starts infesting the new thing with green glow, and the whole thing transforms awesomely. Viral gives the standard "impossible!" Shtick, and they punch each other in the face- cross counter! Remember this! Combining is all about one fighting spirit slamming into another! THe combining of courage that sets a man's soul on fire! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM, FUZZBALL? And Kamina pulls off Viral's helment and sticks it on his head. Viral pulls out a a pair of swords and GL pulls out a pair of brass knuckles- only with drills. These rip apart the swords, and Viral pulls out a barrage of missiles and makes a getaway. Simon says don't follow, and Kamina remarks that it's only Simon's level head that keeps him alive.

Everyone's celebrating, and Yoko apologizes, though for what I'm not sure. Leeron says he found the location of the enemy base. Kamina takes his dad's cape, and announces he's out to kick ass and take names. Leeron announces he's coming to, and Yoko dashes off after a moment and getting teased- apparently the other villagers never thought of her as going for Kamina's type. And everyone's in sunglasses of some sort. That's awesome, even if I hate wearing 'em myself.

Who's the voice actor for the "Village chief" guy? I know he sounds familiar. Yuri Lowenthal does a good job of pulling of the "whimpery kid" voice for Simon, and it's odd comparing the Kyle Hebert I listen to on "The Big Bald Broadcast" to Kamina.

Overall, pretty good and awesome, but the fight scenes weren't long enough. I need more action!

Rogue 7
2009-04-12, 08:50 PM

I didn't think that any of the characters soured the plot in my eyes- sure Suzaku was a dumbass half the time, but I generally liked Lulu. It was more the trainwreck of a plot. And possibly Kallen. All I'm saying is that 1. Had the mecha combat been more restrained, the plot would have been and 2. Had the fights been more interesting, my BS tolerance would have been higher.

It's not that the mecha were too unrealistic- look at what I'm watching, for cripe's sake! It's that the fights were beamspam fests with little else, and nothing really exciting going on.

Rogue 7
2009-04-12, 09:32 PM
Episode 4!

Having Lots of Faces Doesn't Make You Great!

The opening riff to the intro makes me think of a Bleach intro- 4, I think. And the song itself is familliar, but I can't place it.

OPens with some dude standing before the sun. Opening narration is nothing new, and Simon's hungry and wondering how much further they have to go. Special training! Ew, what on earth is with the animation right now? This is weird. And Kamina's throwing Rocks at Simon to get them to combine. Leeron is doing an inspection of Lagann iwth weird spider-drones. He says Lagann's special, and it gets crushed by a rock along with Leeron's drones. But Lagann was missed, and Leeron cries. Lame music, and dear god the animation values for this episode suck. Weird cloth-hat-...things show up. Simon complains that he's hungry and Kamina berates him...right until he realizes he's hungry too. Bombs get tossed, and weird reverse-KKK people riding sheep show up. Most of 'em think Simon's cute and he gets another facefull of boobies. Gurren's down for the count, and Kamina tries the old method of smacking the machine to fix it. It doesn't work and he's confronted by a reverse KKK man. And this one's a dude. Kamina and the dude are in each other's faces, and Kamina gives his catchphrase and a boast, and all the ladies are impressed. I imagine the dude isn't going to take this well. Three chicks, all with variations on Ky-something (can't remember), one of whom is most definitely voiced by Stephanie Sheh (can you tell I like doing the whole voice actor recognition thing? Because I do.) in her only role of "the timid one". Oh. The dude's a big brother. But he's still not taking it well. He's gonna challenge Kamina to a fight, but Yoko breaks it up with a well-placed sniper shot. All the ladies are out hunting as the sisters gush over Kamina. Kittan and the boys are relaxing and hungry, and I'm reminded that the animation values suck here. The girls show up with Lunch, and it turns out to be a bunch of living puffballs who start talking, and Kamina wants to eat them anyways. Turns out that they're beastmen, and Kittan goes off after them and the sisters are right beside him giving a rather odd interpretation of the Rebel yell, which is frankly underwhelming. And given that they're charging on sheep...thing-back towards giant robots without any visible weapons, I question their ability. The robots attack with bowling ball-type attacks, and Kamina runs for his robot and nearly gets bowled over (see that? I made a funny!) but Khittan stops him with bombs and tells him to let the pros handle it. If you want the pros to handle it, dude, get out of the way. The Fuzzball is mad that Ganmen are being piloted by humans, and announces that combining's a lot better with 16. Yoko notes that that's how all gunmen are supposed to work. Kamina keeps throwing Simon off for some reason, claiming it's got to be more epic, and Leeron notes that he's right, and it's got to be done in a particular way. Simon gets it, and Kamina's in trouble, surrounded on all sides. He gets fire support from the ground, but Simon's face to face with th ebig guy, and gets hit with one shot. Yoko teams up with Khittan, and yells at Simon to run. Yoko sets up a smokescreen, and Simon reaveals that he can dodge all day...until he trips and falls onto Gurren, setting up the combination. BROTHERLY COMBINING! GURREN LAGANN! One of the puffballs think it's wicked awesome and gets smakced. Khittan's mad because his sisters are apparently dead. Simon and Kamina are out of juice from food...and so Boota offers up his tail. They each chow down on half, and Kamina makes an epic speech. Yoko comments that he's babbling. Leeron- that's it! Brotherly affection! And they skewer all 16 robots like shishkabobs. Khittan's sisters are alive, and Khittan's all crying over it. The girls don't care, and run off to see the robots. Khittan gives an offer to join the Black siblings, and Kamina counters with an offer to join Team Gurren. The siblings ride off into the sunset, and despite the artistic flaws in this episode, those girls are cute, man.

Mattarias, King.
2009-04-12, 09:43 PM
Hahah, I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. :smallbiggrin: I love seeing people's reactions to awesome.

Do your best to avoid any and all spoilers. Trust me, it'll pay off. Can't wait 'till you get to the end.

Definitely one of my favorite animes of all time.

ZeroNumerous
2009-04-12, 09:47 PM
The animation in Episode 4 is messed up because they tried a new animation method. It fixes itself in Episode 5.

Killersquid
2009-04-12, 10:12 PM
They're gonna combine? Oh please honey.

The funny part of that first line is when Yoko repeats it, she blushes, realizing the double entendre, and Leeron responds with the latter line. In the manga, a nameless Littner girl does the fawning I think.

Hectonkhyres
2009-04-12, 11:26 PM
So, are any of the main Code Geass so bad you'd root against them in a fight to the death with Rorschach? If so, which ones, because from what I've heard Ledouche and Spinzaku are pretty much it. And this opinion is in spite of the Leluche and Suzaku fans/apologists I've seen on other sites.
Rorschach is a twisted, broken thing fashioned that way by the cruelties of life that, simply put, knows no other way to be. He is a notched and rusted blade that has forgotten all but the need for retribution... something that invokes horror and yet at the same time demands a token of respect. He is a monster, but one that never chose to be one.

Leluche and Suzaku, however, both choose to be monsters. I can accept and embrace the ruthlessness that it takes to be a dark lord or knight templar: I even feel the world needs such people. But without fail the two manage to take the path that causes the most harm while doing the least to further their respective goals. They are both smart enough and in high enough positions of power to dodge all the goddamn plotholes.

One thing I like about TTGL now is that the main characters never had to get off their asses and reshape the world. They could have stayed down there in their hole in the ground and lived a reasonable existence until the sun burned out and nothing would have happened. No genocide of the human race, giant killer robots would have generally stayed on the surface where they aren't killing anybody, etc. Sure, it isn't idealistic, but its certainly bearable. Too often in anime (particularly Giant Robot anime) the main characters are just handed the plot with no real choice attached and told to run with it or the world ends. The change is refreshing.

Agrippa
2009-04-13, 12:48 AM
That was I meant Hectonkhyres. I can feel pity, sorrow and empathy for someone like Rorschach. He became a monster due to the horrible circumstances of his life. It doesn't justify his behavior, but it does make it understandable. Lulouche and Suzaku on the other hand, from what I've heard, are grand masters of snatching defeat and almost utter failure from the jaws of victory.

And if they had been smarter and less needlessly ruthless both of their respective girlfriends might have survived along with at least millions of other innocent civilians. Inculding those Japanese that Lulouche stupidly Geassed his half-sister Euphemia into mowing down with a machine gun. It's almost as if those two were aiming for a Darwin Award. Competitive stupidity at its best. Sort of like the Upperclass Twit of the Year Contest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSqkdcT25ss) on a grander scale. What I'm basically saying, is that if Rorschach were to at least brutalize one of those two morons, I'd stand up and cheer. But that's just me.

That said, I'd really love to watch Gurren Lagann at some point.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-13, 01:08 AM
And while I do think that hot-blooded awesomeness is a good thing (I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't), I don't think it belongs in all Giant Robot series. I know I love Full Metal Panic because it takes a fairly realistic and serious look at the concept, exploring how it might go in the real world. Throwing in the levels of crazy and OTT-ness TTGL brings to the table into that world would completely ruin it for me.

Sir, have you been introduced to Gunbuster? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GunBuster) If not, then this sequence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLFCbAXA1I4) is all you need to see. :smallbiggrin:

That said, you just have a preference for Real Robot (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealRobot) over Super Robot. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperRobot) Personally, I love both of them, though I probably prefer Real Robot to Super Robot.

But man, you have to respect a series where time dilation due to FTL flight is a major theme :smallcool:

hanzo66
2009-04-13, 01:48 AM
You mean sunrise, right?

Yeah, got the name confused. Pardon.

Xuincherguixe
2009-04-13, 06:19 AM
What you're thinking of is Kusanagi no Tsurgi.

Prime32
2009-04-13, 07:56 AM
Sir, have you been introduced to Gunbuster? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GunBuster) If not, then this sequence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLFCbAXA1I4) is all you need to see. :smallbiggrin:

That said, you just have a preference for Real Robot (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealRobot) over Super Robot. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperRobot) Personally, I love both of them, though I probably prefer Real Robot to Super Robot.

But man, you have to respect a series where time dilation due to FTL flight is a major theme :smallcool:
TTGL has been described as Gunbuster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qsjN1_xbCI&fmt=18) to the power of Getter Robo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzs1D3M-9CA&fmt=18). Also, compare the opening of Diebuster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMi8TwNlW94&fmt=22).

Rogue 7
2009-04-13, 09:03 AM
What you're thinking of is Kusanagi no Tsurgi.

THAT'S what it was. Thanks a ton.

Tengu_temp
2009-04-13, 09:12 AM
When you reach them, make sure to tell us did you like episode 8 or episode 11 more.

UltraDude
2009-04-13, 10:58 AM
Speaking of Gunbuster... when anyone does an awesome 'arms crossed and looking badass' pose in TTGL or anything else Gainax... Gunbuster. Yes, Hideaki Anno. The show that set the tone for Gainax's future and put them on the map.

In other words, when you're done with TTGL, go watch it. Just... remember that TTGL and other Gainax were made for TV even with all the fanservice, while Gunbuster was direct to video... hell, one fan nickname is Bustgunner.

But it's awesome either in spite of or in part because of it, depending on opinion.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-13, 11:37 AM
Speaking of Gunbuster... when anyone does an awesome 'arms crossed and looking badass' pose in TTGL or anything else Gainax... Gunbuster. Yes, Hideaki Anno. The show that set the tone for Gainax's future and put them on the map.

In other words, when you're done with TTGL, go watch it. Just... remember that TTGL and other Gainax were made for TV even with all the fanservice, while Gunbuster was direct to video... hell, one fan nickname is Bustgunner.

But it's awesome either in spite of or in part because of it, depending on opinion.

Gunbuster is awesome for various reasons - one of which is Jung Freud :smalltongue:

Also: Gainaxing (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Gainaxing) :smallbiggrin:

Hectonkhyres
2009-04-13, 05:53 PM
TTGL has been described as Gunbuster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qsjN1_xbCI&fmt=18) to the power of Getter Robo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzs1D3M-9CA&fmt=18). Also, compare the opening of Diebuster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMi8TwNlW94&fmt=22).
With no small amount of GaoGaiGar (tell me you don't see it) for good measure. The phrase over-the-top lacked all meaning before the anime referenced in this thread were created.

That was I meant Hectonkhyres. I can feel pity, sorrow and empathy for someone like Rorschach. He became a monster due to the horrible circumstances of his life. It doesn't justify his behavior, but it does make it understandable.
Its not about the person being likable or in any was someone you want to be around: its about the flavor of their personality. Reading about or watching them puts you in a certain frame of mind... as if you are seeing the world through a lens. Just their presence changes the nature of the world for you.

UltraDude
2009-04-13, 11:51 PM
Gunbuster is awesome for various reasons - one of which is Jung Freud :smalltongue:

Also: Gainaxing (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Gainaxing) :smallbiggrin:

And Coach!

...we're bringing up lots of Gunbuster here aren't we?

Anyways, if anyone wants to watch some awesome Getter Robo without having to deal with 70's anime format and quality, try New Getter Robo, a separate production made more recently that is more faithful to the violent and ridiculous manga that Getter Robo was based off of. Includes protagonists that make Kamina look tame.

Fawkes
2009-04-15, 06:37 PM
Do your best to avoid any and all spoilers. Trust me, it'll pay off. Can't wait 'till you get to the end.

QFT. I wish I had avoided spoilers. :smallfrown:

Note to self: watch Gunbuster and New Getter Robo.

Also the rest of Cowboy Bebop will you're at it. Seriously, self, you should have seen it all by now. Get it together.

Voidhawk
2009-04-16, 07:57 PM
Does every episode have some form of fighting? Because that'd be awesome.

Pretty much every episode. Anytime you see one that doesn't, it just means that they're taking a run up for the next one.

Gurren Lagann is "Exponentially Awesome": on average each episode is filled with twice as much awesome as previous ones.

As you can see, this quickly leads to head-asploding quantities of "HELL YEAH!", and in some cases a nearly fatal dose of "!". This often leads to what medical professionals are calling a "Gar-gasmn". In concentrated form this may even cause the human brain to crystalise into a spiral-like arrangement, completely destroying the ability for concious thought beyond constantly repeating "Row! Row!". Seek medical advice before imbibing more than 2 episodes in a single sitting. :smalltongue:

Seriously though, I watched the last 6 or so episodes back to back in an auditorium, on a massive projector, with a load of friends. The energy was literally palpable, I swear it charged up between us like a capacitor! By the end we were damn near traumatised by the awesomeness, most of us were unable to percieve anything else as exciting or energising for over a week. :smalleek:

Also, spoilering yourself for anything that happens is about the worst possible thing that you can do, it'll totally ruin the ride.

Eldan
2009-04-16, 08:06 PM
The six last episodes in one sitting? Damn. Your tolerance must be way higher than mine. I was alone watching the last one and after it ended I sat there for about two minutes, just staring at the screen. Then I whispered a single "woah". Then, after another break of 30 seconds, I started giggling.

Lord of Rapture
2009-04-16, 08:25 PM
Rorschach is a twisted, broken thing fashioned that way by the cruelties of life that, simply put, knows no other way to be. He is a notched and rusted blade that has forgotten all but the need for retribution... something that invokes horror and yet at the same time demands a token of respect. He is a monster, but one that never chose to be one.

Leluche and Suzaku, however, both choose to be monsters. I can accept and embrace the ruthlessness that it takes to be a dark lord or knight templar: I even feel the world needs such people. But without fail the two manage to take the path that causes the most harm while doing the least to further their respective goals. They are both smart enough and in high enough positions of power to dodge all the goddamn plotholes.

Which is why R2 sucks so much.

That was I meant Hectonkhyres. I can feel pity, sorrow and empathy for someone like Rorschach. He became a monster due to the horrible circumstances of his life. It doesn't justify his behavior, but it does make it understandable. Lulouche and Suzaku on the other hand, from what I've heard, are grand masters of snatching defeat and almost utter failure from the jaws of victory.

And if they had been smarter and less needlessly ruthless both of their respective girlfriends might have survived along with at least millions of other innocent civilians. Inculding those Japanese that Lulouche stupidly Geassed his half-sister Euphemia into mowing down with a machine gun. It's almost as if those two were aiming for a Darwin Award. Competitive stupidity at its best. Sort of like the Upperclass Twit of the Year Contest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSqkdcT25ss) on a grander scale. What I'm basically saying, is that if Rorschach were to at least brutalize one of those two morons, I'd stand up and cheer. But that's just me.

That said, I'd really love to watch Gurren Lagann at some point.

Not really. The universe just hates both of them. It's not due to anything they did, it's the writers.

How the hell was Lulu, or hell, Suzaku, ruthless to their girlfriends? If anything, it's one of their few redeeming features. And that Geass incident doesn't count. It was a ridiculous Diabolus Ex Machina, and you know it.

Though they both do need a good brutalizing by Rorschach to get their heads straight.

On that note, here's something funny. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n3VSw1XBOo)

Voidhawk
2009-04-16, 08:26 PM
The six last episodes in one sitting? Damn. Your tolerance must be way higher than mine. I was alone watching the last one and after it ended I sat there for about two minutes, just staring at the screen. Then I whispered a single "woah". Then, after another break of 30 seconds, I started giggling.

Not really tolerance levels, just masocism and addiction :smalltongue:. The epicness was like a drug, we kept drinking it in even though we knew we'd pay for it later. At the end our minds were literally streached out of shape, and refused to spring back for ages. It was great though, totally worth it :smallbiggrin:.

We had pretty much the same reaction at the end too, 'cept the silence lasted a day, and the giggling a week. And not so much giggling as uncontrolable bouts of cackling and shaking whenever anyoned who'd been there saw each other.

This was shortly followed by the deepest downer ever, as we realised nothing we would ever experience would be that awesome again. That sucked.

I'd still recomend it though, if you think you can take the downer, as it's the best high outside of sex and drugs. Probably comes under the rock 'n roll section...:smallamused:

Salt_Crow
2009-04-18, 05:55 AM
I just started watching the episodes today. I'm up to the 5th one now... and enjoying it. Probably it's those gratuitous fan service materials that gets me going, but for a person who's only introduced to the world of anime only a week ago it's not too bad of a progress in a day :smallwink:

Helanna
2009-04-19, 11:21 PM
It's 12:17 AM. I have to be up for school in 6 hours. Instead of sleeping, I'm up and on the computer. I just watched the last 3 episodes.

Wow. That was . . . wow.

This was shortly followed by the deepest downer ever, as we realised nothing we would ever experience would be that awesome again. That sucked.

Yes. :smallfrown:

So I'm definitely enjoying your summaries, and I can't wait 'til you get to some of the later episodes!

*sniff* . . . stupid ending, being so awesome and perfect and sad.

chiasaur11
2009-04-19, 11:27 PM
It's 12:17 AM. I have to be up for school in 6 hours. Instead of sleeping, I'm up and on the computer. I just watched the last 3 episodes.

Wow. That was . . . wow.

Yes. :smallfrown:

So I'm definitely enjoying your summaries, and I can't wait 'til you get to some of the later episodes!

*sniff* . . . stupid ending, being so awesome and perfect and sad.

You ever read Nextwave?

I don't know if it's as awesome, but man, Ellis made something as kick ass as humanly possible. Read it and prepare to weep anew.

Seriously, awesome awesome stuff. (Also very silly. And kickass. And awesome.)

Rogue 7
2009-04-20, 09:33 PM
Stupid site, I've been sitting on this all day. Finally. 3 Episodes this time!

Episode 5!

I watched this one a while back when I didn't feel like pausing every few minutes to catch up writing-wise, so my apologies if it's more a brief summary.

So..the main group crashes through the ceiling of some weird underground place, where they're met with a weird statue and folk who worship it as a god. One of 'em is voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch. The gang complains about food, but them being dirt-poor and all means that it's a feast for the folk living here. Kamina shuts up. Triplets are born, and it's revealed that because the village can only support so many people, 2 of 'em have to go, and my "Giver" vibes get stronger. It turns out that they are going to send off two orphans. JYB's character is upset about this, and confused as Kamina tells him that the Ganman they're worshipping isn't a god. He tries it out, and it activates, but he gets in trouble from the High Priest, who urges him to keep with what he knows. That's not doing the impossible, seeing the invisible! He tries to get the gang to leave, as they're messing things up. I don't recall how that ended. A ganman crashes through the ceiling to try and deal with Gurren Lagann, and it's winning, too. But the ancient godmech thing shows up to send the bad guy hurling into the abyss. It turns out it's priest-dude, who reveals he set up the whole shebang in order to keep everyone alive. He encourages JYB's character- Roisseau, that's it!- to leave with the gang, and they take the two new folk with them.

Filler episode that leads to character recruitment! Yay!

Episode 6- There Are Some Things I Just Have To See!
I notice that Khittan and his sisters are in the title credits. Yays!

They're at the recon point, and it's empty desert. They wonder how they missed it, and I suspect it's underground, but as it turns out, they've got a mobile base or a recall location that moves.

Yoko complains that all the men reek something awful, and I'm surprised that they didn't go for Leeron complaining. 3 nutjob rabbit gunmen show up. Kamina makes an incredibly articulate speech and beats them up without so much as an animation. Roisseau notes the Gunmen seem to be getting weaker, and one shows up behind him. Yoko oneshots it and notes that they're just getting stronger, right Simon? She winks and he's embarrassed. One's getting away and Kamina wants to wipe it, but Roisseau points out the better solution of just following it back to base. He gives chase, and they lose it in some random fog that shows up. Something appears, and it's an old dude. All he does is point, and so they head in that direction. They're up in the mountains, and I note that there are trees. No one seems surprised at this. Odd. They arrive at a huge building, and Roisseau's suspicious. The group decides to head on in.

HOLYCRUDSCONESBUNNYGIRLS! And Roisseau's even more suspicious. The boys are all for it, and a woman compliments Kamina, saying Team Gurren's known worldwide. I wasn't siding with Roisseau before because hey, boobies! But now I am. The guys are crowd-surfing....on Gainaxing boobies and if I could physically do the anime sweatdrop thing, I would. They're served mountains of delicious food, and Roisseau's suspicious of poison, but team Gurren's digging in. Kamina's still raring to go, as A MAN'S STOMACH KNOWS NO LIMITS! He's surrounded by pretty girls, of course. Roisseau gets boob-planted into a fish when deciding whether or not to take a bite, and Khittan's cute sisters show up and immediately are all over Kamina...who looks embarrassed. Yoko's jealous of all the girls hanging on her man, when the blonde Black sister comments that she didn't know Yoko had kids. Yoko immediately spit-takes something epic, spraying Roisseau of course. Khittan's out. The Black sisters related their tale and it's eerily similar to Team Gurren's. I and Roisseau grow even more suspicious...and the girls want to know who Roisseau is. They're told of hot springs, and Leeron begins to explain-
A hot spring is a place where...Ohhh Yeahhhhh with the sexophone playing. Kamina comments that things are awesome, and I agree. Kamina is perplexed that there's a guy's and girl's bath.

Simon's enjoying the hot bath, and Kamina comments that he and Simon should go to the moon. Kamina strikes a manly pose, standing on a rock and looking up at the moon...ass-naked. He comments that it can't be impossible to go to the moon. Simon joins him and I'm glad it's a long-distance rear shot. We get Yoko asking one of the Black sisters to stop groping her...and the boys and I are intrigued at the dialouge...all the girls talking about boobies makes the boy's heads explode. Simon's lifting Kamina up on his shoulders to get over a wall...the size of the great wall of China. Now they're looking for a hole somewhere, and I immediately think of several dirty jokes. The little kid finds a hole....Simon's...well...yeah. He zooms up over the wall in anime-style physics fashion...and catches a glimpse of heaven. He crashes back down and I note that Boota's serving as Kamina's loincloth. THe little one runs into the girl's bath, since the lucky little SOB was summoned, and Kamina asks Simon what he saw- a taste, but no goods. Kamina wants the kid to poke him in the butt, and the boys hear the girls washing the little boy, and Kamina tries to simultaneously drill through the wall with Simon's key thing and strangle the poor boy. He makes another epic speech about mountains and the metaphor's amusing. Simon starts drilling, wanting to reach paradise. He breaks through, and hears Yoko thoroughly in denial. He's got a glimpse of her cleavage, but dude, she wears a bikini, you've seen it before. The girls start talking about Simon and mention how he's a little kid, always stuck in Kamina's shadow. Yoko starts complimenting him, saying she's got a lot of faith in him. Simon gives up on his quest out of guilt.

Roisseau's looking around, and I think he spots a Gunman. He calls it fishy. Kamna finally makes it to the top, when the place breaks apart and the old woman shows up piloting a gunman, which...pees the boys out. The censorship makes Simon look very...impressive. The bathouse is a gunman, and it turns out the woman is a beastman, who can hunt at night, as I guess she's a werewolf. Leeron's got GL ready to go, and Simon slams his crotch into Leeron's face, who comments "Warm" I'm not making this up. The boyz are piloting naked, and it turns out the woman has hostages...with censored pixels. I'd say I wasn't disappointed, but I'd be lying. And Kamina immediately breaks the fourth wall to say that he's disappointed to. I notice the blonde chick is posing. The beastgirl tempts Kamina with the promise of boobies, and Simon talks with Kamina about not falling for it...Kamina fails his will save and gets out, only to find the girls are in towels. Still cute, though. And I note that the little boy's still naked as a jaybird. Kamina's silent for so long I question whether or not I paused the video, and then moves to go kick ass, only to find rabbits stole his mecha. Roisseau's limping, when he gets run over by the crazy rabbits and ends up right by Gurren's cockpit. Kamina, Ron, and Simon are exercising the better part of valor, and Yoko's pissed as hell at Kamina for falling for it. Yoko pulls out a handgun and busts loose, as the old dude lets Kamina inside. The bunny girls turn into ninja demon bunnies, as a bunch of kappa things attack Kamina the girls and the boy kick ass, meet up. Kamina claims the girls are safe before Yoko decks Kamina epically and starts ranting. Kamina comments that there are somethings a guy just has to see, and Yoko comments that she's got the goods whenever he wants it...then immediately gets embarrassed about it. Kamina's dumbstruck. Pausing this makes me realize how weird individual frames can look. Yoko and Simon are in a jam, when the giant mecha blows up as the group inside takes out the engine room. The wolfwoman turns a dial as their towels start constricting them. The woman notes that the girls wil be sent to the Spiral King as a tribute. Yoko says this makes him evil, and the baddie gets mad at this. She goes to punish her for her insolence....and the little kid's stolen the dial. Kamina, perverted thoughts undoubtedly in mind, asks for it, but gets wolverineclawed by a bunch of bunnychicks. The kid turns the dial and the towels fall off...but the girls are in bikinis underneath. Kamina turns to stone. Kamina is pissed because he didn't get boobies, and Simon shows up for the rescue. Everything is cramped inside (despite that, I think Simon's comfortable. Boobies!), and Roisseau waves as they blast into the sky, having killed a bunch of bunnies offscreen. Lagann drills in and Roisseau nearly gets split in half and then a naked Kamina drops in front of him. Bad day, mate. Kamina pulls his sunglasses out like a sword, and slashes the bathhouse in two. Yoko gets overexcided celebrating and her top pops off "good morning sunshine" indeed. A laser blast rocks the thing, and everyone is scattered. There's a whirling tornado, and Viral shows up with a weird rock beat. He calls Kamina a naked ape and I chuckle. Kamina wants to know who this guy is.

This was the fanservice episode, right? Why then did we get more shots of naked Simon and Kamina than the girls? I feel slightly ripped off and mor than a little perverted.

Episode 7- You're Gonna Do It!

Alright, Viral's here and I'm ready for kickassery. He comments they've been having "fun". Viral wants to say he's taking his helmet back, but he wants everyone to put clothes on, and I'm amused by what the censorship implies about Simon's..."drill".

The groups start fighting, and I'm a bit underwhelmed at the lack of detailled Kung Fu Action. Kamina comments that it was nice of him to let them get driessed, but he says it's for honor. at the capital, and Simon comments tha t that's the base. Viral starts an epic combo, saying the capital's the sloe civilization in teh world, ruled by the spiral king. His combo ends with the two mechas locked into a faceoff, and Kamina snaps Viral's swords with his drills like before. A shot nearly gets GL, and the explosion shoots it back towards the team, and Roisseau comments on a mountain. But it turns out the capital's a walking battleship. The music is awesome and ominous as Viral pulls out a giant scythe-thing from his helmet. There's a lot of comments from the peanut gallery about how the thing's so big, and Leeron says he's blushing. Leeron says that's the relay point. Makes sense- a mobile base that is a Gunman, too. The big thing comments, and it turns out there's a beastman piloting that hting, too. Kamina makes an awesome speech- don't think you're going home unscathed, buddy. Viral asks if he's lost his nerve, and gets decked for his trouble. Macho bandter is exchanged, followe dby dakka and Yoko is yelling at him to run. More banter from the general (action offscreen), and Kamina comments that that didn't hurt...just before collapsing. Left leg damaged, and everyone's telling Kamina to run. Kamina's mad as hell! SHUT UP! NEVER RETREAT< NEVER SURRENDER NEVER LOOK BACK! Kamina's mad as hell "What is this, the guy never says die? There's a giant green glow, and the left leg repairs itself. FIGHTING SPIRIT! Yoko yells at Kamina a little more and nearly getswasted. Kamina and Simon can't get htrough the dakka, and so they stand there, and use the force from the explosions of teh guns to send them rocketing into teh sky and they use that to get up high enough. Epic. Man on fire! Blazing Chariot Kick! Drills into Viral, and they're both down, but on the deck of the ship. 3 gunmen get chucked at the peanut gallery. GL's getting up, and Viral's unconscious. Yoko's only got a pistol adn it looks like they're gonna get wasted when...death from above! Kills one. the other 2 move to strike, and the thing jumps, as the two impale eachother. Yoko beseeches the mech to go save Kamina...and it's Khittan! Yeah! What's that bozo gotten himself into now?

GL's up and raring to go, and the honcho's an ugly mofo. I forget his name. Kamina makes another epic speech and he's got sunglasses. THere's silence in response, and Simon says he's scared. Kamina leaps to attack, and gets swatted by the big hands on the battleship. They're about to get torn in two...about...where's Khittan....any minute now... Boom! There he is! Nope, it's the boss from Litner, and there's Khittan! Kamina can't remember. Yoko tells him that everyone's copying Kamina. Kill them all! Cannon fodder! Everyone's beating up on him, and Yoko makes a big old motivational speech about running away, but Kamina's having none of it. Simon wants him to retreat, too, and SImon says that everyone's waiting. Kamina says that if they turn back, they'll get ripped apart. Simon comes up with an idea. Kamina looks unsure...and decides to go with it. Simon immediately takes off like abat out of hell, dodging for all he's workth, shooting little drills at the giant mecha. He gets backed to a cliff...and everyone's all worried. Viral's laughing, and simon says it's all over for you! Turns out the drills were into the cliff face, and simon Smashes it, completely blowing a hole in teh cliff and sending the battleship lummeting into the abyss. Viral gives an epic "We'll be back!" speech and they go home. Turns out we've got a LOT more mecha, and now we've got a legitimate brigade. Seems everyone caught Kamina's stupidity bug. It turns out the damage to Gurren is back, and it came back after GL separated. Litner village's women and children went to Simon's old village, and Roisseau's being a downer as usual. Everyone tells him to be more cheery.
Kamna starts with an epic speech, and wants to steal it to make his new HQ. Mobile base is a good idea, and Kamina makes a comment of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." And he wants Simon to be the cornerstone of the plan. How, you ask? Using Lagann to hijack it! Yoko gives him a pep talk as Leeron explains things.

Kamina and Yoko are alone, and Kamina makes a comment about how they have to win until they utterly break the enemy. He wants to make a world where kids can look up on the sun without a care in the world. Yoko comments that he's smarter than he looks, and she thought that he always had some sort of plan, but not today, and that frightened her. Awkward silence...And holy moly a Volcano erupts. The two little kids tell simon not to be scared. The volcano psychs Kamina up for an epic battle, and I'm really looking forward to much asskickery.

Has the series quite kicked into high gear yet? Because it's pretty awesome, but not the ZOMG! DUDE EPIC AAAAHHHH! levels people have promised.

Fawkes
2009-04-20, 10:07 PM
You're only a fourth of the way there. It gets more and more and even more epic as it goes on.

Drascin
2009-04-20, 11:57 PM
Has the series quite kicked into high gear yet? Because it's pretty awesome, but not the ZOMG! DUDE EPIC AAAAHHHH! levels people have promised.

As someone said, the point is that in Gurren Lagann, generally (I say generally because there's a couple slower episodes soon, but boy, when they come back, they come back), each episode is a little more epic than the last. Since, as you say, it's already pretty awesome at episode 7, guess how it feels around episode 25 or so :smallwink:.

hanzo66
2009-04-21, 12:44 AM
I do think I should leave you a warning about Episode 8...

Eldan
2009-04-21, 04:03 AM
Bah. A man needs no warning.

Tengu_temp
2009-04-21, 06:39 AM
This was the fanservice episode, right? Why then did we get more shots of naked Simon and Kamina than the girls? I feel slightly ripped off and mor than a little perverted.

Because it's Studio Gainax. They love to fu(he said a bad word!) with you. Don't worry, there will be one more fanservice episode with more traditional fanservice.

To avoid spoilers - it hasn't yet. It will soon. Very soon.

Sholos
2009-04-22, 12:37 PM
You will see. You will see.

Lord Seth
2009-04-22, 11:43 PM
What I really liked about episode 6 was that the girls who welcomed the characters to the bathhouse were from other series by Gainax. (including Asuka and Rei!)

mikej
2009-04-23, 02:46 AM
I do think I should leave you a warning about Episode 8...

Nahh, this review is kind of entertaining and the further reactions will be priceless. Good series though, lived up to all the hype I heard.

Voidhawk
2009-04-24, 08:25 AM
The series is divide into 4 sections, of increasing awesomeness (obviously). You're about to reach the end of the first part, episodes 1-8. The second is episodes 9-15, the third 17-22, and the forth 23-27, with a 16 being a refresher, retelling ep 1-15.

I heard someone call the series "a racing car of awesome", and every time they move sections they change up a gear, then rev the engine for all it's worth. In the last few episodes they hit the Nitrous, followed by breaking the sound barrier.

Rogue 7
2009-04-24, 10:44 PM
Episode 8: Later Buddy.

I'll admit, I know what happens in this one. Kamina bites the big one. Now let's find out how, and see just why everyone hails this guy as Kung Fu Action Jesus pumped up to 10.

So it looks like they're setting up for a big conclusion and I'm pumped. There are now 3 volcanoes erupting as Simon's sitting in Lagann acting nervous. Yoko come over to talk and we get a montage of her appearances. Simon's got a crush it seems, and I can't blame him. Yoko explains volcanoes to Simon, who compares them to Kamina- they burn underground until they explode, and Yoko said Kamina said the same thing about himself. Yoko's got a serious look on her face, but she doesn't say anything to Simon. Yoko gets her gun back from Ron, and they're nervous since Gurren is vulnerable without Lagann. Yoko goes off to talk to Kamina. She offers him a drink. Kamina's determined as all get out, and asks her to cover his back. She then kisses him, telling him that his back's his blind spot, and they start making out. D'awww. Kamina says he'll repay that 10x over. Now, let's get out there and raise a little hell! Yoko says she's looking forward to being repaid...and SImon saw that. Suck it up, boyo. No offense meant, dude, but you're what, 12? And Yoko is minimum 16 (I've heard it mentioned she's actually supposed to be 14. I don't buy that for a second.). Face it, you didn't have a prayer. Give it 5-6 years, maybe, but...Anyways, he's trying to convince himself that it's none of his business what Yoko does, and Kamina surprises him, thinking he's nervous.

Kamina's plan is a simple feint- human gunmen draw out the enemy, Simon moves in to capture the big gun, and then it's hammer and anvil time. Good plan, but Simon would probably need a good squad to cover him as he goes in. Ron's got comms up and running.

Let's get to it! A lot of these mechs are pretty impressive,. Yoko's got a gunner's position on one of the mechs. Kamina comments that having gathered all these friends and going off to save the world in giant robots is the best thing ever and I'm forced to agree with the dude. Kamina gives his catchphrase, and Simon's got a bad case of the jibblies and jealousy.

Ron's monitoring Gurren and Lagann. Roisseau offers to help, and Gimmie? wants to, too, in typical kid fashion. Ron says that if Gimme touches anything...he'll get gobbled up... with such a wonderfully creepy face. The battleship's still stuck in the dirt, which I take to be a good sign, and suddenly Viral pulls off a tarp and announces that they've been waiting...Kamina says good and starts chucking rocks! Haha! Geez, these dudes took up a fortified position in a canyon where the enemy can easily take the high ground. What are they, French? Kamina's mocking Viral, who is falling for it until the General tells him to shake it off, saying his battleship won't be hit. Village leader dude opens up with a very big gun, and the battleship returns fire. I hope the dude's OK after that hit. Battleship chucks up some gunmen, and Yoko blasts 4 of them out of the air. Viral blocks the shots aimed at him, and he and Kamina clash. Viral notes that Kamina's head is missing and wonders what happened, so Kamina tells Simon to get to it. Simon's apparently gotten over his nerves, because he blasts through the cliff face and into the battleship very epically and it looks like it's working...Kamina spills the beans and they're fighting...and THIS is more like it. A mech jumps at Kamina's back, but Yoko's got it covered, blasting the thing out of the air, and I am loving this whole shebang. She blasts a couple off Khittan, and the battleship isn't fully under Simon's control, nearly wasting a friendly. have we seen him before? Ron's worried, since they're not synching correctly. Roisseau says he's nervous. Oh crap, big monkey man's heading out in Byakko (If the other 4 generals don't have Seryuu, Suzaku, and Genbu for mechs, I'll be disappointed). Kamina asks what's wrong with Simon, and Simon's still hung up on the kiss, and he''s mad about it. Viral wises up and advises the gunmen to fall back and deal with Simon, but Kamina's having none of it. Kamina leaps onto the battleship and out of his mecha and....punches Simon in the face? What? Kamina asks if he's snapped out of it, and promises to do it again if Simon gets back into a funk. He delivers what I'm tempted to call one of Kamina's motivational speeches (TM), telling Simon to believe in the Simon that he believes in, and Lagann's good to go. Kamina's gontent, sitting there all cool in his mecha...WHAT THE ^&%#%%%%%%%!!!!!! He gets blasted from underneath by the monkeyman! Kamina gets the everloving $#*^ beaten out of him and Viral gets in on the act, too, the bastard. Kamina ends up impaled and everyone's in shock, particularly given his massive scream of pain. Get up, dude! Get up and prove you're a badass Mofo! Kick some ass! You haven't done enough yet! No! Come on!

Oh, now you've done it. Simon wigs out and the entire giant battlehsip starts glowing...the earth starts glowing, and holy **** a volcano just erupted. Simon's going nuts and Viral gets swatted like a fly. Simon's gone section 8, as Kamina's...getting up! come on, dude, make with the badass! Even in pain he's spouting awesome lines. Simon's in despair...until Kamina's voice comes on over the radio and he proves what he said by throwing a severed arm of Gurren at Simon. And I quote myself- "haha, there we go!" Gurren's up, and Kamina continues with the massively inspirational speech, telling Simon that he's got a giant battleship, what's he got to worry about? Simon's back to normal and everyone cheers, but monkeyman is still fighting, and winning from the look of it. Kamina wants to use Gurren Lagann to keep fighting, and here's the badass I asked for. Gurren Lagann's good to go! Kamina and Simon sum up hot blood,
JUST WHO! IN THE HELL! DO YOU THINK WE ARE! !! As a volcano erupts in the background. Alright boys, now go back up that talk. Cannon fodder get impaled on massive drills! Wheee! GL catches monkeyman's energy blast, and Kamina tells Simon to have faith in the Simon that believes in you. Kaimina pulls two sunglasses out, and GIGA DRILL BREAKKKKK!!! delivered in a truly badass voice, and bye bye monkeyman!

That took all of Kamina's juice...and that's it. he's done. Simon still doesn't believe it. True to trope, it's raining as everyone stands in silence and still frame. GL is crying as well.

OK, yeah, that was kickass. Truly epic. However, much as I like the guy and his truly epic speechifying, that does not a true epic hero make. Kamina pulled off some truly awesome moves, no question about that. His finisher was ten thousand kinds of awesome. But given the hype about how awesome this guy is, supposedly, I'm a bit disappointed. Perhaps I got overhyped.

Episode 9- What Exactly is a Human?
New title sequence, given that Kamina's vaped. We appear to be meeting Nia this episode, and I'm disappointed that we don't even get a silhouette of Kamina to remind us of the dude's awesomeness.

"This is the tale of a man who has yet to realize his destiny. This man lived a life filled with desire, loyalty, and extravagance. He loved his comanions and strove for freedom. And suddenly, he was gone. There's Kamina in a nutshell.

We're introduced to the Spiral King and some minions, and a scorpion-woman I'm going to refer to as "Villeta" for her voice actress being the same as Villeta of Code Geass asks to retake the big ol' battleship whose name I won't ever try to spell. She seems not to be completely sincere about this. She then vanishes. And apparently the Spiral King created the world, but that sounds like Propaganda.

Everyone's standing around in the rain, and Simon plasts the bejeezus out of a gunman and he truly looks broken. It's apparently been a week, still raining, and the two cute black sisters are still down about Kamina. The engine isn't running right. The big battleship's been renamed DaiGurren, and it's got everything we need, 'cept Simon's still mopey. Khittan gets up in Simon's face, apparently about letting him pilot GL with Simon, who says, basically...no. And then Khittan gets all mad and says that if Simon had held it together, Kamina wouldn't be dead, and, sad to say, it's true. Had Simon not been moping, Kamina wouldn't have been in a position to get wasted. Still, **** move, man. I'm surprised Simon didn't deck him for it, but Simon's going down the self-pity route, saying he killed bro...or so I think until he lashes out at Roisseau (and I must comment, Yuri Lowenthal, as good a VA as he is, is making Simon sound about 5 or 6 years older. Maybe I'm just too used to his "Suzaku" voice and it's rubbing off). Simon just sort of collapses after that, saying sorry. He lies down in his room and we cut to Yoko shooting. A few redshirts are commenting that Khittan should be leader and that if Simon gets elected, team Gurren is done. Yoko slams down a plate, stating it's Dai-Gurren! Yoko and Litner leader start talking, and Yoko mentions that even though they've sacrificed a lot of people, she might not be able to get over this one. Yoko's in her shower of Angst, moaning about Kamina.

Gunmen spotted, and Roisseal wants to head out with Simon, who was planning to go solo. Simon acquiesces, but Simon's going a little crazy. He's pounding a Gunman's face in when they get blasted from the rear. Simon yells how KAMINA never screamed like that and Roisseau keeps telling simon to calm down. Doesn't work, as Simon's doing his best to channel Kamina and then starts vomiting up green stuff as the energy starts feeding back. Lagann disconnects and jumps off a cliff. Khittan and Yoko show up, and Simon apparently went berserk.

Simon wakes up alone, wondering what happened, and Lagann's running. 'course, Simon's still lost and is apparently in a landfill as a box gets chucked down near him. He goes to take a look and inside we have...well, first we have a slot for Simon's drillkey. The box opens...and there's apparently some dry ice inside...along with a chick. So here's Nia, apparently. She wakes up, smiles, and says hello. Simon's all flustered, and she's apparently never seen rain before. She likes dirt, apparently. Nia's apparently weirded out that Simon's not a beastman. Nia doesn't know what humans are. The rain's breaking up, and I take this as a sign of Simon's mood. OHCRUDGUNMAN! Simon gets back to Lagann, explaining the situation to Nia, and goes to attack...but vomits up green stuff and gets smashed out of the air. Simon tells Nia to run and says he'll hold off the Gunman...apparently without Lagann. He says he's sick of people dying and doesn't care about anything except preventing people from dying. Nia asks if he wants to die, tells him that he shouldn't lie if he's scared..and they nearly get a missile up the gut before Yoko blasts it out of the air and Khittan smashes the gunman to pieces.

Everyone's eager to meet Nia and they're asking her questions. Nia apparently pissed her daddy off for whatever reason, and Ron's right to say that her dad's odd.

Simon's talking to Lagann, wanting to avenge Kamina. Yoko tells Roisseau not to interfere. Suddenly, a giant wall of water shows up, and Viletta along with a centipede thing that looks the size of DaiGurren shows up. Nia knows that voice. People are moving to fight. Nia runs out...and she's the daughter of the Spiral King, telling Viletta to leave. Huh. End episode.

Fawkes
2009-04-24, 11:21 PM
If you're having trouble with character names, here's a cheat sheet.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/57/Dai-Gurren_Team_w_text.jpg/600px-Dai-Gurren_Team_w_text.jpgI can't keep track of their gunmen, though. Someone should make a cheat sheet for that. Although, it changes every so often, what with lineup changes and guest pilots.

hanzo66
2009-04-25, 12:25 AM
Nonetheless, you really don't need to learn all of their names, since you'll likely just end up identifying them as "Dude with Glasses", "The Twins", "Crewcut Guy" or any nickname.

Prime32
2009-04-25, 07:21 AM
As for overhyped... well, you haven't been listening to Kamina's Jap voice.
Episode 8 clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s65n0PmvIm4&fmt=18)

Also! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKhdPUTDyuQ&fmt=18)
Also also! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrY8rb6MdLs&fmt=18)

Rogue 7
2009-04-25, 10:57 AM
Kamina's Japanese voice ain't available in my country.

Fawkes
2009-04-25, 12:23 PM
Nonetheless, you really don't need to learn all of their names, since you'll likely just end up identifying them as "Dude with Glasses", "The Twins", "Crewcut Guy" or any nickname.

This is true. But it gets really confusing in later episodes when they all start actually doing things.

Prime32
2009-04-25, 12:29 PM
Kamina's Japanese voice ain't available in my country.
Try converting the URL to the embedded version
http://www.youtube.com/v/s65n0PmvIm4 (http://www.youtube.com/v/s65n0PmvIm4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1)

Incidentally in one of the later episodes, Dayakka (mild-mannered guy from Yoko's village) refers to his ganmen as "Dayakkaiser". I found this hilarious.

Sholos
2009-04-25, 12:30 PM
Note: It's ganmen, not gunmen.

Prime32
2009-04-25, 12:31 PM
Note: It's ganmen, not gunmen.The dub changed it for some reason. Ganmen means "face" in Japanese, though gunmen could mean "army face" if this translator (http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/dict) is accurate.

tyckspoon
2009-04-25, 12:32 PM
This is true. But it gets really confusing in later episodes when they all start actually doing things.

Eh. Maybe if you actually care who does a particular thing, but that group can usually be safely referred to just as the 'Gurren-dan'. Khitan's the only one who really stands out as an individual acter.

Prime32
2009-04-25, 12:33 PM
Eh. Maybe if you actually care who does a particular thing, but that group can usually be safely referred to just as the 'Gurren-dan'.
Not Gurren-dan. DAI-GURREN-DAN!

Fawkes
2009-04-25, 12:40 PM
Eh. Maybe if you actually care who does a particular thing, but that group can usually be safely referred to just as the 'Gurren-dan'. Khitan's the only one who really stands out as an individual acter.

I think Daiyakka ends up kind of important, too.