PDA

View Full Version : Red Dwarf

Avaris
2009-04-11, 06:36 PM
Surprised there was no thread on this tbh... or at least none recently.

So, at time of writing we are 2 episodes into the three part 'Back to Earth' mini-series on Dave. I'm interested to know what peoples thoughts are... mine are certainly a mixed bag.

On the basis of the first episode alone, it felt poor. The lack of a studio audience really hurt it, and the story/jokes, while reasonable, were not up to old standard imo (though this is perhaps unfair; we remember the best jokes after all). The now cgi effects didn't add much, and in fact took away from the essential 'Red-dwarfiness'. If the series had continued this way, it would be an ignoble end to a once mighty show.

However...

The second episode was... interesting. Due to the nature of it, I feel spoiler text is appropriate.
Long story short, the characters discovered they were in a tv show, and ended up in present day earth. This was, to say the least, unexpected. It puts me in mind of the League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse, and is essentially the same premise. Jokes etc were still nothing special, but episode 2 has completly changed my perspective of 'Back to Earth'.

It seems to me that the intention of Back to Earth was not merely to recreate Red Dwarf, but to signify a sort of rebirth for it, in a new home on Dave. The episode is clever in suggesting that in the reality they find themselves in there have been 10 series of Red Dwarf (at least) opposed to the 8 we have. This freed them from dealing with the cliffhanger of the last one. To me, the producers seem to have accepted that they will not be making Red Dwarf as it was, but I am expecting the final episode to indicate the direction Red Dwarf will take in the future. Thoughts?

littlebottom
2009-04-11, 06:39 PM
yes, i agree, the first one felt... odd with no laughter at the jokes, but, i think it is great for right now as alot of jokes work well with current situations etc, but i cant help but feeling that in a year or two, we wont look back too fondly on it...

Aidan305
2009-04-12, 07:07 PM
Hmmmm.

Seriously, it was all a dream? Again? I can't help but feel that this entire return to earth trilogy was a series of cop-outs cobbled together from the favourite parts of Red Dwarf.

littlebottom
2009-04-12, 07:29 PM
well to be perfectly honest, i thought it was a good way to end it... i dont know, it just seemed to fit for the no luck crew of the red dwarf... "im gonna eat you little fishy!":smallcool:

Icewalker
2009-04-13, 01:57 AM
Don't know a thing about the new episodes, but the old ones were great! Good times, Red Dwarf. SO RIDICULOUS.

BlueWizard
2009-04-13, 04:14 AM
Aw, thought I saw Green Valkyrie over here.

Anyway, Yellow Elf is about to die.

bosssmiley
2009-04-13, 05:26 AM
They played corpse puppets with it. :smallmad:

The half of the writing team that wasn't involved in this shambolic travesty (Grant?) must have had the strangehold on talent.

Studoku
2009-04-13, 05:18 PM
Hmmmm.

Seriously, it was all a dream? Again? I can't help but feel that this entire return to earth trilogy was a series of cop-outs cobbled together from the favourite parts of Red Dwarf.
I like to think that they made the plot terrible on purpose, just so an ending where it never happened would be good.