PDA

View Full Version : [Weapon] Can Never Have Enough Ways to Hurt People

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-21, 06:46 PM
Here's several new weapons I use in my games (some of them are presented in other D&D products, but in different forms).

Most of these are on my site, and I've posted some of them to these forums before. These are the latest versions, however.

{table=head]Martial Weapons|
Cost|
Dmg (S)|
Dmg (M)|
Critical|
Range|
Weight1|Type

Light|

Main-gauche|
4gp|
1d3|
1d4|
19-20/x2|
-|
1 lb.|Piercing or Slashing

Stiletto|
3gp|
1d3|
1d4|
19-20/x2|
-|
1/2 lb.|Piercing

One-Handed|

Saber, cavalry|
15gp|
1d4|
1d6|
19-20/x2|
-|
5 lb.|Slashing

Two-Handed|

Maul|
15gp|
1d10|
1d12|
x3|
-|
15 lb.|Bludgeoning

Staff-sword2|
20gp|
1d8|
1d10|
19-20/x2
|
-|
12 lb.|Piercing

Ranged|

Throwing knife (5)|
1gp|
1d2|
1d3|
19-20/x2|
10 ft.|
1 lb.|Piercing
[/table]

{table=head]Exotic Weapons|
Cost|
Dmg (S)|
Dmg (M)|
Critical|
Range|
Weight1|Type

One-Handed|

Chui|
12gp|
1d6|
1d8|
x3|
-|
5 lb.|Bludgeoning

Headsplitter, goblin|
6gp|
2d3|
2d4|
x3|
-|
7 lb.|Bludgeoning and Slashing

Jien|
20gp|
1d4|
1d6|
18-20/x2|
-|
2 lb.|Piercing

Mattock|
25gp|
1d8|
1d10|
x3|
-|
8 lb.|Bludgeoning

Nine Ring Sword|
20gp|
1d6|
1d8|
19-20/x2|
-|
3 lb.|Slashing

Warblade|
40gp|
1d6|
1d8|
18-20/x2|
-|
4 lb.|Slashing

Warpick|
30gp|
1d6|
1d8|
x4|
-|
10 lb.|Piercing

Two-Handed|

Fullblade2|
75gp|
1d10|
1d12|
19-20/x2|
-|
12 lb.|Slashing

Gaff-sword3|
90gp|
1d6/1d4|
1d8/1d6|
19-20/x2/x3|
-|
12 lb.|Piercing

Greatpick2|
22gp|
1d6|
1d8|
x4
|
-|
12 lb.|Piercing

Monk's Spade2|
10gp|
1d6|
1d8|
x3
|
-|
12 lb.|Slashing

[/table]
1Weight figures are for Medium weapons. A small weapon weighs half as much, and a large weapon weighs twice as much.
2Reach weapon.
3Double weapon.

Cavalry Saber: Designed specifically for mounted combat, the cavalry saber has an appearance similar to a scimitar, but is not as greatly curved.

A cavalry saber deals double damage when used from the back of a charging mount.

Chui: A hammer with an eight-sided head, specially designed for use in monk combat styles.
The chui is a special monk weapon. This designation gives a monk wielding a chui special options.

Fullblade: Perhaps the largest category of sword seen on the battlefield, the fullblade excedes even the greatsword in length and weight. Only the strongest warriors can even use one, and few have actually learned to do so well.

A fullblade has reach, so you can strike opponents 10 feet away with it. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe.

Gaff-sword: This weapon consists of a sword blade and a sharpened, hook-like blade on either end of a long hilt. The weapon gets its name since the hook looks similar to a fisherman's tool, but the hook is sharpend on the outside and is used more like an axe in combat.

A gaff-sword is a double weapon. You can fight with it as if fighting with two weapons, but if you do, you incur all the normal attack penalties associated with fighting with two weapons, just as if you were using a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. A creature wielding a gaff-sword in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.

You can use the hook-like end of a gaff-sword to make trip attacks. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the gaff-sword to avoid being tripped.

Greatpick: This weapon is essentially a pick placed on the end of a long staff.

A greatpick has reach. You can strike opponents 10 feet away with it, but you can’t use it against an adjacent foe.

Headsplitter, goblin: This weapon resembles the be-knighted offspring of a mace and a battleaxe, featuring over-sized sharpened flanges attached to a heavy metallic head. A favorite of bugbears and goblins, the headsplitter is crude but effective.

Besides it's effect on opponent's skulls, the headsplitter is known for being especially good at breaking up inanimate objects. As a full round action, a wielder proficient with the goblin headsplitter can attack an unattended object, dealing double normal damage in the process.

Jien: This sword has a thin straight blade, and looks somewhat like a shorter rapier. Many elven monks favor this weapon.

You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a jien sized for you, even though it isn’t a light weapon for you. You can’t wield a jien in two hands in order to apply 1-1/2 times your Strength bonus to damage.

The jien is a special monk weapon. This designation gives a monk wielding a jien special options.

Main-gauche: This dagger features a larger than normal guard.

The main-gauche is designed specifically as an off-hand weapon. A character with the Two-Weapon Defense feat wiedling a main-gauche in her off-hand adds an additional +1 equipment bonus to the shield bonus granted by that feat.

Characters proficient with a main-gauche can treat it as a dagger for the purpose of any feats that specificy a specific weapon (such as Improved Critical, Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, and so forth).

Mattock: This overly-large warhammer is a favorite of dwarven warriors.

A mattock is too large to use in one hand without special training; thus, it is an exotic weapon. A character can use a mattock two-handed as a martial weapon.

Maul: A giant, two-handed hammer, the maul is often used to break shield-walls by the sheer weight of its blows. Dwarves especially favor these un-subtle weapons, but they are commonly found in the hands of anyone who wants to deal out immense damage.

Monk's Spade: This weapon has a broad, flat blade on one end of a long pole and a crescent shaped piece on the other for balance; it bears a striking resemblance to a shovel.

A monk's spade has reach. You can strike opponents 10 feet away with it, but you can’t use it against an adjacent foe.

The monk's spade is a special monk weapon. This designation gives a monk wielding a monk's spade special options.

Nine Ring Sword: A curved broadsword with rings added to the back of the blade, giving this distinct weapon its name. Nine ring swords that are made without the disctinctive rings are identical statistically, but are generally called warswords.

A nine ring sword is a special monk weapon. This designation gives a monk wielding a nine ring sword special options.

Staff-sword: A common weapon in many cultures with a wide variety of names, the staff-sword is exactly what it sounds like - a curved sword blade placed on the end of a long staff.

A staff-sword has reach. You can strike opponents 10 feet away with it, but you can’t use it against an adjacent foe.

Stiletto: A favorite of assassins and anyone wishing to arm themselves covertly, the stiletto has a very narrow blade and small guard.

A stiletto grants a +4 bonus to Sleight of Hand checks made to conceal it about one's person.

Characters proficient with a stiletto can treat it as a dagger for the purpose of any feats that specificy a specific weapon (such as Improved Critical, Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, and so forth).

Throwing knife: These small blades are designed specifically to be thrown. They have perfect balance and are very light. However, they are exceedingly unsuited for hand-to-hand combat.

A throwing knife used as a melee weapon is treated as a light improvised weapon (-4 penalty on attack rolls), and only threatens a critical hit on a natural 20.

Although they are thrown weapons, throwing knives are treated as ammunition for the purposes of drawing them, crafting masterwork or otherwise special versions of them and what happens to them after they are thrown.

Warblade: This curved blade is between a scimitar and a falchion in size, and is a favorite of orcs and goblinoids.

A warblade is too large to use in one hand without special training; thus, it is an exotic weapon. A character can use a warblade two-handed as a martial weapon.

Warpick: An especially heavy pick meant to be used in battle.

A warpick is too large to use in one hand without special training; thus, it is an exotic weapon. A character can use a warpick two-handed as a martial weapon.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-21, 06:50 PM
Rationales and Clarifications
Why I made these weapons, why some of them work the way they do, and how some of them should work (plus alternate rules for a few).

New Monk Weapons
A number of these weapons are designated as "special monk weapons," which lets monks use them with flurry of blows and so forth. I created them because I had a number of players express a desire to play monks from "harder" styles that used more weapons. Each of these weapons offers monks a chance to mix in new weapon features with their class abilities.

Most of these weapons are a bit better than the ones from the PHB. However, to balance this, monks are not automatically proficient with them. This means they have to spend a feat like everyone else to use them effectively. I find that this balances them quite well, and doesn't negate the use of the existing choices.

The one potentially problematic weapon in the bunch is the monk's spade, since it has reach. Given that monks can just as easily kick an opponent as punch him or her, the monk will threaten everyone within ten feet. However, the fact that the spade's damage is pretty crappy and the monk loses the weapons special qualities within 5 feet, seems to keep it in line.

Alternate Rules: I have two optional rules for these weapons. I found that the -4 non-proficiency penalty effectively deterred monks from simply carrying around one of these weapons even when they didn't have the feat, but if you encounter problems with this (or are simply concerned with potential abuse), I suggest ruling that a monk must be proficient with the weapon in order to use the special abilities with them.

Secondly, I personally give monks the option to use their 1st and 2nd level bonus feats to acquire proficiency in one of these weapons (basically, I added Exotic Weapon Proficiency to their list, as long as they picked one of these new weapons). Given how good the other feat choices are, I found this not to be a problem balance wise.

Throwing Knives
I made these specifically to address the fact that thrown weapon builds have some issues with costs, while also not dealing as much damage (or having as much range) as archery builds. I found that the fact that shuriken count as ammunition neatly addressed this, but given the limitations the thrown weapon build already had, I wanted to eliminate the need for characters using this build to spend an extra feat just to continue lagging behind archers. So, I created a martial version of shurikens.

Alternate Rule: I personally add throwing knives to the proficiency lists of both bards and rogues. I find that it fits the flavor of the classes, and some thrown weapon builds start in these classes. Players seem to like the option, and, since both classes can already use bows, it's not like it gives them a jump in power level.

Fullblade
I'll admit it, this weapon is partly here so the Final Fantasy fans have something. And to be completely honest, I sometimes enjoy giving a character an obscenely large sword. Moreover, I was tired of every reach weapon build taking the damn spiked chain. I think this weapon gives a nice flavor alternative while remaining balanced (personally, I think the spiked chain is a bit over the top). And, hey, another chance to use that d12!

Goblin Headsplitter
Just because it amused me, and because there aren't really any goblin specific weapon (outside of Eberron, anyways). Note that the double damage cannot be applied during Sunder attempts.

Stiletto and Main-Gauche
I add the stiletto to the proficiency list of bards and rogues. I find few rogues take the Two Weapon Defense feat unless they take a level of fighter (which gets them proficiency anyways), so I leave the main-gauche off, but YMMV.

The Rest
Most of the rest of the weapons fill holes I saw in the list. Some, admittedly, have probably been filled in other new books, and a few are re-writes of weapons I didn't like the official stats for.

Personally, I really like the cavalry saber, since it's another toy for mounted combat builds, who until now have only had the lance. I also am partial to the gaff-sword, which I think I saw in an old supplement (2e, iirc) and haven't seen updated to 3.5. The idea just stuck with me for some reason.

TheThan
2006-08-21, 07:03 PM
I like em, oh and here are some examples, i found.

Jien sword (http://www.coldsteel.com/gimsword.html)

Calvary Saber (http://www.coldsteel.com/88hcs.html)

9 ring sword (http://www.coldsteel.com/chinwarswor.html) but without the rings :(

throwing knives (http://www.coldsteel.com/80tkseries.html)

monk’s spade (http://www.coldsteel.com/92sfs.html)

staff sword (http://www.coldsteel.com/97thm.html)

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-22, 11:03 AM
I like em, oh and here are some examples, i found.
Very nice, thank you :) Though...

monk’s spade (http://www.coldsteel.com/92sfs.html)
This one is a bit off. That's really an entrenching tool. Soldiers often learn to use them in hand-to-hand combat (Russian special forces particularly), but it's more or less an improvised weapon of last resort.

A monk's spade is a true polearm, with a much longer haft and a true blade - like this (http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000C87VE.01-A3E9JPN8AUZ8Z6._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg) ;)

Saithis Bladewing
2006-08-22, 11:31 AM
Note to self: Maul. Use it.

Gralamin
2006-08-22, 11:52 AM
it looks to me like your saying as the fullblade gets bigger it doesn't do any more damage (from the 1d12 small and 1d12 medium damages)

Maerok
2006-08-22, 12:25 PM
Greatsword does 2d6 which is more than the fullblade, but you are getting increased range.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-22, 12:32 PM
Note to self: Maul. Use it.
Glad you like it ;)

it looks to me like your saying as the fullblade gets bigger it doesn't do any more damage (from the 1d12 small and 1d12 medium damages)
Oops, that's an error on my part. It should do 1d10 damage as a small weapon.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-08-22, 12:34 PM
Glad you like it ;)

Like it? I love it! ;D

I've always needed a two-handed hammer that wasn't either crap or overpowered and this fits the bill perfectly. As it's posted by one of your, eh, reputation, I'm sure I could convince most DMs to let me use it. ;D

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-22, 12:42 PM
As it's posted by one of your, eh, reputation, I'm sure I could convince most DMs to let me use it. ;D
I have a reputation?

Er, let me rephrase that... I have a reputation that doesn't inspire gnashing of teeth and fleeing into the hills?

Saithis Bladewing
2006-08-22, 12:46 PM
In my experiences in forums, moderator = reputation.

Good, or bad, it doesn't matter. I plan to hopefully use your reputation to allow your creation to be used. *Wrings hands and cackles maniacally.*

Oh, and I like the throwing knives too. Always need throwing knives, preciousss...

Maerok
2006-08-22, 01:14 PM
Monk's spade could probably be better described as "a long pole with a wide flat blade on one end and a crescent blade at the other".

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-22, 01:55 PM
Made some minor corrections and added a few more weapons.

Not sure if the stiletto and main-gauche should really be Martial Weapons; any opinions?

Tallis
2006-08-22, 02:07 PM
I like them.
I was considering tinkering with shuriken, but now I'll just use throwing knives instead. Don't know how good the monks spade is, but I remember it from all those crappy kung fu movies I loved as a kid. Not sure if the full blade will make it into my games (I never liked the ridiculously large weapon idea), but I think everything else will.
Should there be a specific strength requirement for fullblade? You mention only the strongest warriors can use them, but don't give a number. I'm thinking strength 15, kind of high, but doesn't automatically give a massive damage bonus.

Edit: I would say keep the main-gauche as a martial weapon, the basket hilt makes it a bit more awkward to wield. The stilletto is just a thin dagger, so I'd make that one a simple weapon.

Edit2: I would also make the stilletto piercing damage, they were designing to slip into the chinks in armor, not so much to slash at opponents.

Edit3: LOL, okay how about the weak points in armor, would it be okay to say that?

Edit4: Is the weight of the monk's spade supposed to be 2 pounds or is it 12? Guessing that's a typo. Warblade is supposed to be in between a scimitar and a falchion and too big to use one handed without a feat 4 pounds seems low, I'd at least change it to 6.

TheThan
2006-08-22, 02:33 PM
Very nice, thank you :) Though...

This one is a bit off. That's really an entrenching tool. Soldiers often learn to use them in hand-to-hand combat (Russian special forces particularly), but it's more or less an improvised weapon of last resort.

A monk's spade is a true polearm, with a much longer haft and a true blade - like this (http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000C87VE.01-A3E9JPN8AUZ8Z6._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg) ;)

I see, that’s the first thing that popped into my mind when I read it. Did you watch the video clip? Those suckers are awsome!

Fax Celestis
2006-08-22, 02:41 PM
Made some minor corrections and added a few more weapons.

Not sure if the stiletto and main-gauche should really be Martial Weapons; any opinions?
They should be. They're evolved versions of the dagger, which moves them up one step. See also: Longsword to Bastard Sword, Battleaxe to Dwarven Waraxe.

Tallis
2006-08-22, 02:42 PM
Dang, that's one hell of a shovel! Might be worth it's own weapon entry.
Off the top of my head:
Soldier's Spade: One Handed Exotic
Cost 6 gp
Damage- S d4 M d6
Crit X3
Slashing
Weight 4 lbs
Range 10 feet

CockroachTeaParty
2006-08-22, 03:08 PM
Is the goblin head-splitter a one handed weapon with reach? It looks overpowered to me, but then again you do need to burn a feat to use it...

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-08-22, 03:16 PM
Just out of curiosity, did you make the goblin head splitter, Gorbash?

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-22, 03:22 PM
Is the goblin head-splitter a one handed weapon with reach? It looks overpowered to me, but then again you do need to burn a feat to use it...
That was a typo; the weapon does not have reach. It's about on par with a battleaxe or a warhammer for damage (though it has a different distribution - higher min, but tends to clump more towards the middle, with a lower chance of max damage). The special ability is what pushes it more towards exotic, though it's somewhat limited usage. An admantine headsplitter would be pretty nasty, though.

Just out of curiosity, did you make the goblin head splitter, Gorbash?
Uh, yeah, just came up with it earlier today. I've seen examples of axe-maces, though they tend to be more associated with the Ancient world, and this is a bit different from those.

TheThan
2006-08-22, 03:36 PM
Not only is that shovel bad ass its also cheep at 35 bucks US!!

Oh also is that stiletto a fixed blade knife or is it more like a switch blade? I think a little bit of clarification is needed in the description. More for flavor reasons than anything else.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-22, 03:39 PM
Not only is that shovel bad ass its also cheep at 35 bucks US!!

Oh also is that stiletto a fixed blade knife or is it more like a switch blade? I think a little bit of clarification is needed in the description. More for flavor reasons than anything else.
A stiletto is simply a dagger with a very thin blade, designed for stabbing. Though common in the US, it's not technically correct to call all switchblades "stilettos." A switchblade could also be a stiletto if it had the right kind of blade, but it's actually a seperate concept.

asromta
2006-08-22, 03:44 PM
They are great weapons, but why are there no Simple weapons?

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-22, 03:59 PM
They are great weapons, but why are there no Simple weapons?
Because it's really hard to come up with a simple weapon that isn't already covered.

CockroachTeaParty
2006-08-22, 04:05 PM
I always thought that repeating crossbows should be simple weapons. If anything, they'd be easier to use than normal crossbows! The main thing that would prevent low-level characters from using them would be the ridiculous cost.

TheThan
2006-08-22, 05:35 PM
A stiletto is simply a dagger with a very thin blade, designed for stabbing. Though common in the US, it's not technically correct to call all switchblades "stilettos." A switchblade could also be a stiletto if it had the right kind of blade, but it's actually a seperate concept.

I know, but when most people think of a stiletto they imagine them as switchblades (thanks to mobster movies ) that’s why I asked for the clarification.

Legoman
2006-08-22, 05:37 PM
Main-Gauche is nice, but I don't see the advantage of the stiletto? Maybe 18-20 Crit range? Or 19-20/x3?

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-22, 07:47 PM
Main-Gauche is nice, but I don't see the advantage of the stiletto? Maybe 18-20 Crit range? Or 19-20/x3?
The advantage is that it grants a pretty solid bonus to Sleight of Hand checks to hide it when you aren't supposed to be armed.

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-08-22, 09:57 PM
Uh, yeah, just came up with it earlier today. I've seen examples of axe-maces, though they tend to be more associated with the Ancient world, and this is a bit different from those.I see. I was wondering if you might have gotten the name from the game Champions of Norath. I remember a dagger being named Goblin Eye Poker, and at least one other weapon with a similar name.

More on topic, under the stiletto, where it says's "Characters proficient with a main-gauche can treat it as a dagger for the purpose of any feats that specificy a specific weapon," shouldn't it say stiletto where it says main-gauche?

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-22, 10:37 PM
I see. I was wondering if you might have gotten the name from the game Champions of Norath. I remember a dagger being named Goblin Eye Poker, and at least one other weapon with a similar name.
I'll admit, there's a certain stylistic tendency when it comes to naming goblin-favored weapons and gear, and I certainly didn't deviate from it.

More on topic, under the stiletto, where it says's "Characters proficient with a main-gauche can treat it as a dagger for the purpose of any feats that specificy a specific weapon," shouldn't it say stiletto where it says main-gauche?
Yeah. Such are the trials of copy/pasting.