PDA

View Full Version : Fight or Flight

Katrascythe
2009-04-15, 10:35 AM
Alright guys, I would search the forums to see if this has been done before but the server times out before the search completes so I never can get search results..

I'm basically curious what reaction people have to adrenaline-pumping situations. In D&D we're pretty much all fight because we're freakin' supermen. But in life... what would you do?

I for one have made a transition from flight into fight. It's mainly because my BF tickles me all the time so instead of running away I turn around and try to tickle him back (doesn't work so hot but eh, worth trying).

So yeah, what are y'all?

Linkavitch
2009-04-15, 10:44 AM
Huh. Interesting thread. I think, personally, I'd try "Fight" first, but if that didn't work out so well, I'd go to "Flight". However, I'm kinda like a berserker, so if you get me pretty mad I'll "Hulk-out", so to speak, and it'll take a while to calm down.

Comet
2009-04-15, 11:02 AM
In a normal everdyay situation (argument etc)?
Fight.

In an actual, you know, fight?
Flight. Anyday, everyday.

DrizztFan24
2009-04-15, 11:04 AM
It would entirely depend on the situation. If I was bungee jumping and got a rush it would totally be fight (go for the jump). If I had been cornered by 4 guys and they just wanted my cash...they could have the cash and I would scram. If they wanted a piece of my sorry hide too then I am afraid I would have to fight...and I like to imagine they would take some hits for their effort too.

anazopyreo
2009-04-15, 11:08 AM
It would entirely depend on the situation. If I was bungee jumping and got a rush it would totally be fight (go for the jump). If I had been cornered by 4 guys and they just wanted my cash...they could have the cash and I would scram. If they wanted a piece of my sorry hide too then I am afraid I would have to fight...and I like to imagine they would take some hits for their effort too.

My sentiments exactly!

Katrascythe
2009-04-15, 11:33 AM
I have too much of a temper not to fight in dangerous situations. Because if someone is mugging me I'll be really angry and probably won't have the common sense or willpower to stand down.

Mauve Shirt
2009-04-15, 11:36 AM
In most dangerous situations, I would flee. Adrenaline rushes that aren't literal fights, I'd probably go for the fight response.

blackfox
2009-04-15, 11:42 AM
I'm pretty much the same as Mauve... Usually when I get startled I'll flip out and try to defend myself. But when I'm in an actual dangerous situation I try to get out.

Spiryt
2009-04-15, 11:42 AM
Run for my life!!

Seriously, though, I would run in standard dangerous situation - if some guys are approaching you on the street for beating/whatever, they have great advantage (whatever can this be) in 95% of causes - otherwise they wouldn't do it.

So trying to be tough can end nasty.

Felixaar
2009-04-15, 11:49 AM
RUN AWAY!? :smallmad: FROM A CHALLENGE!?

Not unless it involves Cute Girls.[/testosterone (or lack thereof)]

What's that? You want a real answer? Thanks, but I'm not really into topics like this. Chances are I'll just feel like I have to justify myself and will ramble on continously in a way that makes me seem suspicious when I have nothing to hide, having never thrown a punch in my life and hoping I never have cause to change that fact.

valadil
2009-04-15, 11:50 AM
I bluff fight. I'm big and scary without even trying. I don't actually want to get into a fight, but if I posture myself correctly, people always back down.

Katrascythe
2009-04-15, 12:34 PM
RUN AWAY!? :smallmad: FROM A CHALLENGE!?

Not unless it involves Cute Girls.[/testosterone (or lack thereof)]

What's that? You want a real answer? Thanks, but I'm not really into topics like this. Chances are I'll just feel like I have to justify myself and will ramble on continously in a way that makes me seem suspicious when I have nothing to hide, having never thrown a punch in my life and hoping I never have cause to change that fact.

Well if you say the wrong thing to the wrong girl you might find yourself running for your life. Girls are scary when they're angry... I'm sure you've seen the cat fights in your life.

Occasional Sage
2009-04-15, 02:50 PM
My gut response is always to fight. I don't suffer from Spartacus' problem, though; if common sense calls on me to run or otherwise back down, I can do that without shame.

Sneak
2009-04-15, 03:57 PM
I think I would fight. Mostly because I get very angry when someone legitimately tries to pick a fight with me, and I tend to lose all sense of caution.

Which probably isn't the best plan, seeing as I'm pretty skinny, but eh.

TheBST
2009-04-15, 04:05 PM
I don't want to, but usually I go for 'fight'. At 6ft and a stone overweight, there aren't many things you can outrun.

arguskos
2009-04-15, 04:15 PM
Having found myself in a situation that called for fight or flight at a time where fight could mean "trip to hospital" and/or "call to undertaker", I can say my tendency is to fight and, at least so far, win.

This is likely a bad thing.

Katrascythe
2009-04-15, 04:25 PM
Having found myself in a situation that called for fight or flight at a time where fight could mean "trip to hospital" and/or "call to undertaker", I can say my tendency is to fight and, at least so far, win.

This is likely a bad thing.

Well, in my opinion, I'm glad that you fought. Especially since the alternative would imply that you wouldn't be here. And I think the community appreciates your input. So it can't be all bad!

arguskos
2009-04-15, 04:38 PM
Well, in my opinion, I'm glad that you fought. Especially since the alternative would imply that you wouldn't be here. And I think the community appreciates your input. So it can't be all bad!
Yay, someone loves me! :smallbiggrin:

Katrascythe
2009-04-15, 04:44 PM
Yay, someone loves me! :smallbiggrin:

*chants in creepy voice*
Yes, arguskos, I love you. We all love you. Every single one of us loves you....

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-15, 04:55 PM
Hmm... empirical evidence from fencing seems to indicate Fight - though there may be confounding variables there. When faced with a superior or energetic foe, I am more likely to advance than retreat.

I'd like to say if I saw a situation coming, I would Flight, but if I were surprised I'd probably Fight.

Hopefully I wouldn't pick the third option - freeze up :smalltongue:

Canadian
2009-04-15, 05:38 PM
I've avoided fights but I've never run away from one. I've talked the situation down to a non-aggressive level. I've walked away or stared down the opposing side until they backed down. I've never run so I wouldn't say "flight" is anything I've ever experienced.

In a way I actually enjoy fighting. I never go looking for a fight but once it starts I'm right into it. I actually have broken ribs right now from a fight last week. I don't regret it and everything is turning our fine. I'm just waiting to heal up and get on with things.

Totally Guy
2009-04-15, 06:03 PM
It looks like everyone here is all good for fighting and it'll propably continue in that vein through herded movement with people saying flight being chastised for being different.

So let me instead share with you a story about a man that ran away. Much like the Fight/Flight situation is now, the people were divided. Optimists vs Pessimists, and Optimists were the dominant group.

It got to the stage where the optimists persecuted the pessimists for thier miserable nature and in truth they let them do it. Pessimists were all eventually imprisoned. But one man escaped and he took flight. He ran and hid in an old barn but the Optimist patrols were right behind him.

They broke down the barn door and grabbed the man from under his haystack.
"Did you really think you could escape us?" they intimidated.
The man simply replied "Yes".
The Patrol looked at each other and said "Oh... You're free to go then".

So the moral of the story is that Fight/Flight has no wrong answers and the fundamentals of what warrants either option is all based in personal view points. There will be no malice in this thread.

Occasional Sage
2009-04-15, 06:20 PM
Hmm... empirical evidence from fencing seems to indicate Fight - though there may be confounding variables there. When faced with a superior or energetic foe, I am more likely to advance than retreat.

I'd like to say if I saw a situation coming, I would Flight, but if I were surprised I'd probably Fight.

Hopefully I wouldn't pick the third option - freeze up :smalltongue:

"I'll take door number three, please, and..."

"OH, looks like you lose, and PAINFULLY!"

"But I... all I... can I... OW!!!"

:smallfrown:

Katrascythe
2009-04-15, 06:27 PM
"I'll take door number three, please, and..."

"OH, looks like you lose, and PAINFULLY!"

"But I... all I... can I... OW!!!"

:smallfrown:

Those of us who do not choose option number three will be there to protect you! Let us go forth and save Sage from a beating!

Recaiden
2009-04-15, 06:32 PM
In most dangerous situations, I would flee. Adrenaline rushes that aren't literal fights, I'd probably go for the fight response.

I'd probably do the same thing. The more risk, the more likely I am to go for flight, although I try not to in situations that aren't actually dangerous.

Occasional Sage
2009-04-15, 06:34 PM
Those of us who do not choose option number three will be there to protect you! Let us go forth and save Sage from a beating!

Sweet!

Any chance that I could just be lazy, and you'd mistake it for freezing so that I don't have to, you know, do anything? :smallbiggrin:

Although I do have other options (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5998952&postcount=13), I suppose....

Katrascythe
2009-04-15, 06:35 PM
Sweet!

Any chance that I could just be lazy, and you'd mistake it for freezing so that I don't have to, you know, do anything? :smallbiggrin:

Well if you're that lazy and I figure it out I'll just toss you back to the wolves :P

Occasional Sage
2009-04-15, 06:36 PM
Well if you're that lazy and I figure it out I'll just toss you back to the wolves :P

Hey, peeing blood is no fun. You can't blame a guy for wanting to avoid it!

Katrascythe
2009-04-15, 06:43 PM
Hey, peeing blood is no fun. You can't blame a guy for wanting to avoid it!

...At the expense of having a poor, defenseless young girl take the rap for you? That's cold, man.

You could at least run away like other people :P

Occasional Sage
2009-04-15, 06:47 PM
...At the expense of having a poor, defenseless young girl take the rap for you? That's cold, man.

You could at least run away like other people :P

Yeah, it was a woman that made me do that. I don't buy that argument. :smalltongue:

That aside, if you jump in between me and danger, I've gotta assume you think I'm more defenseless than you.

Besides, while the danger is busy with you I can get a head start. :smallwink:

I hope you understand that I'm not serious!

Katrascythe
2009-04-15, 06:52 PM
Yeah, it was a woman that made me do that. I don't buy that argument. :smalltongue:

That aside, if you jump in between me and danger, I've gotta assume you're not defenseless.

Besides, while the danger is busy with you I can get a head start. :smallwink:

I hope you understand that I'm not serious!

Remind me never to save your skin. I'm well equipped to take care of myself but I don't want someone leaving me to die. I'm not a CG or LG person, my own skin is coming first unless I get at least some help or feel like my efforts aren't going to go to waste.

*ponders attacking Sage for fun..*

Berserk Monk
2009-04-15, 06:54 PM
Ask me this question again in a few months when I complete my chainmail vest.

Occasional Sage
2009-04-15, 07:00 PM
*ponders attacking Sage for fun..*

As long as it's just for (mutual) fun, I'll buy you lunch afterwards. Which sorta reduces the odds of fatalities, coincidentally.... You *DID* see my white text, yes?

Ask me this question again in a few months when I complete my chainmail vest.

Won't change your reflexive response. Only your considered one. I think the OP was asking about reflexes.

EDIT:

Hey, laziness is why we have civilization! Don't knock it.

Collin152
2009-04-15, 07:04 PM
I usually switch between Flight and Fight at rapid speed. Sometimes so fast that I'm actually immobilized.

Occasional Sage
2009-04-15, 07:05 PM
I usually switch between Flight and Fight at rapid speed. Sometimes so fast that I'm actually immobilized.

Ah, bad old Option Three. Collin, I'll be there for you. If, you know, I'm down in AZ visiting my wife's family. Otherwise I might not be much use. But I'd be there in spirit, if that helps.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-04-15, 08:12 PM
Since getting married and having a kid I think my probabilities of fight or flight have changed.

Now, if I'm alone, I will flee, because I think my family needs me alive more than they need me to defend my honor or whatever.

On the other hand, if I am accompanied by my wife or kid my instant instinct to a threatening scenario is always FIGHT so that they can flee to safety even if I go down, no matter how overwhelming the odds. I am sometimes surprised how protective I am. For example, it could just be a noisy neighborhood dog barking at us on a walk, but if it frightens my kid I instantly get a mental picture, a rehearsal in preparation for action if you will, of me snapping the dog's neck.

And I'm a very peaceful person who loves animals.

Katrascythe
2009-04-15, 08:27 PM
As long as it's just for (mutual) fun, I'll buy you lunch afterwards. Which sorta reduces the odds of fatalities, coincidentally.... You *DID* see my white text, yes?

Yeah I did, that's why I'm not swarming upon you like the tyranids. It's all in good fun :D You'll know when I'm angry, there are much fewer smilies.

Hey, laziness is why we have civilization! Don't knock it.

I suppose that's people's justification for being lazy nowadays? "Hey we got civilization this way! It's gotta be good for something, right?" I kinda like that, it gives me justification for not putting a lot of effort into my homework.

Occasional Sage
2009-04-15, 08:48 PM
I suppose that's people's justification for being lazy nowadays? "Hey we got civilization this way! It's gotta be good for something, right?" I kinda like that, it gives me justification for not putting a lot of effort into my homework.

Nah, you've still gotta do work, just not physically. I mean, if our uber-ancestor had been willing ot move that Big Effoff Rock though muscle power, we'd never have developed the lever and fulcrum. Not wanting to drag a stick through hard packed dirt for miles at a time led to domesticated animals capable of plowing for us.

Laziness is the key to progress! Who knows what's next?!

Katrascythe
2009-04-15, 08:56 PM
Nah, you've still gotta do work, just not physically. I mean, if our uber-ancestor had been willing ot move that Big Effoff Rock though muscle power, we'd never have developed the lever and fulcrum. Not wanting to drag a stick through hard packed dirt for miles at a time led to domesticated animals capable of plowing for us.

Laziness is the key to progress! Who knows what's next?!

I think the next step was "I'm too lazy to clean, so I invented the Roomba to do it for me." Or, "I'm too lazy to watch for cops myself, so I invented the radar detector."

My realization at how lazy I was actually came about when I started doing higher level math to minimize the amount of steps I had to take going from one class to another.

Anuan
2009-04-15, 09:15 PM
I've been in a LOT of fights. I'd like to think I've won more than lost, especially since I started training. I prefer to run, but only for so long. I've got a lot of stories, but I couldn't pick any single one to tell you :smalltongue: besides, it might be kinda poor taste.

Katrascythe
2009-04-15, 09:32 PM
I've been in a LOT of fights. I'd like to think I've won more than lost, especially since I started training. I prefer to run, but only for so long. I've got a lot of stories, but I couldn't pick any single one to tell you :smalltongue: besides, it might be kinda poor taste.

Fight Club is one of my favorite movies. What does that tell you?

What kind of training have you had?

Coidzor
2009-04-15, 09:49 PM
I hear that a confliction of getting the Fight or Flight response in a situation where it's inappropriate can lead to heightened feelings of anxiety and distress.

I tend to vary, but mostly tending towards fight then flight, in giving an onslaught to stun or catch someone off guard if they're threatening me before they can get serious and then get away. At least that's how I did it in elementary and middle school.

Lupy
2009-04-15, 09:51 PM
Hmm...

Having never been in a real fight, I would draw on past experiences:

6 foot copperhead crawling on me: Froze (turned out to be for the best)

About to fall off a waterfall: Froze (not my best decision, but a friend grabbed me)

So, seems to me that I'd be likely to either flee or freeze. If I had time to think a second and thought I had a good shot or had friends nearby I'd probably fight though.

Anuan
2009-04-15, 10:00 PM
Fight Club is one of my favorite movies. What does that tell you?

What kind of training have you had?
It tells me you should watch some movies with better fight-scenes that isn't so mopey and depressing to watch :smalltongue:
I kid, the movie's fine, but not my favorite.
Self-trained through arduous study of techniques and ideals from various martial arts, through text and video and a lot of practice. Not so great compared to actual teaching, but it's improved me a lot. I can handle myself. I'm also mildly hypervigilant because my brother used to beat the *expletives!* out of me as a kid, so I'm quite often on the very edge of fight-or-flight.
Also am quite easy to anger. Not so quick to actually hit someone, unless they've proven over a course of time they deserve it. Like that time I wailed on a blue-belt. That was fun. Fun afterwards, anyway, at the time I was completely enraged.

Katrascythe
2009-04-15, 10:15 PM
Anduan - Yeah what you have isn't professional but it's better than most people. And you had a brother to help you hone your skills... I'm an only child so I never really had the opportunity for any physical fights except with my grandfather who always won because he was ex-navy.

Oddly the battles with my grandfather didn't teach me to be hyper vigilant.. partially because the prospect of being held upside down I found to be delightful!

Lupy
2009-04-15, 10:27 PM
Pfft. Whenever my brother and I fight I just make him charge over and over until he hits something and/or falls, then I sit on him...

It's not glamorous, but it works.

Anuan
2009-04-15, 10:33 PM
Oh, I never 'honed my skills' on my brother. Hypervigilance isnt a skill, it's a disorder; look it up, its not as cool as it sounds XD. Anyway, we didnt fight, he beat me up, before I started training. For years. As in, cracked my sternum. I put it mostly to an end with a shovel to the face, and years later, a scar on his hand with a large knife.

I honed my skills through continual practice in my backyard, eventually with a friend I turned into a sparring-buddy. We both improved a lot in that stage :smallbiggrin:

Katrascythe
2009-04-15, 10:54 PM
Oh, I never 'honed my skills' on my brother. Hypervigilance isnt a skill, it's a disorder; look it up, its not as cool as it sounds XD. Anyway, we didnt fight, he beat me up, before I started training. For years. As in, cracked my sternum. I put it mostly to an end with a shovel to the face, and years later, a scar on his hand with a large knife.

I honed my skills through continual practice in my backyard, eventually with a friend I turned into a sparring-buddy. We both improved a lot in that stage :smallbiggrin:

Ah I thought you were using the term as well.. a word, not as per the disorder. You have a sadistic brother. And I thought girls were bad, goes to prove me wrong, eh? I'm surprised y'all didn't kill each other in the process.

You learned to fight in the back yard whilst I learned gymnastics from my quadriplegic (almost) father and taught myself how to dance.

Occasional Sage
2009-04-15, 11:00 PM
I think the next step was "I'm too lazy to clean, so I invented the Roomba to do it for me." Or, "I'm too lazy to watch for cops myself, so I invented the radar detector."

My realization at how lazy I was actually came about when I started doing higher level math to minimize the amount of steps I had to take going from one class to another.

That's... awesomeness. with awesomesauce. And a side of w00t.

Anuan
2009-04-15, 11:05 PM
Correction; I have an older brother with aspergers who was never successfully taught how not to be a ****. Its why I only ever hurt him twice; once when I was a kid (the shovel to the face) and once while he attacked me while I was holding my favorite dagger. Any other time, if I hit him it was -my- fault and everything got piled on me. So, even when my sternum was cracked, I never told my parents. Not until a few months later, when my mother saw me shirtless with my sternum-area poking outwards (as it healed the cartiledge had become enflamed and extra had, apparently, built up around the break) did I ever go to the hospital for it. For a long time she refused to believe any possibility of it having been a result of my brother's violence. To this day she has her doubts, and quickly changes the discussion if that fact comes up when she's talking about it...

Katrascythe
2009-04-15, 11:27 PM
*snip*

I've had fun times with Asperger's... several people I know have it. It's something I personally have a hard time dealing with because it pushes my tolerance to the breaking point. I couldn't let a kid of mine act that way, though, I don't care what mental disorder they had. But that's my growing up in a stricter environment where you didn't try to beat the tar out of people.

thubby
2009-04-16, 02:10 AM
IME, running is bad politics. not that i don't want to.

Crixon
2009-04-16, 08:10 AM
Myself, depends on the situation, im not really a fighter though, so i lean towards more of a flight, but if i am angry, truely and fully angry (which i dont think ive ever been before ...) at that time all bets are off and eather you have to knock me out or kill me before i stop, im very good at not feeling pain when i want to.

Talwar
2009-04-16, 07:51 PM
I've no experience in dealing with fight/flight in a combat situation. However, being in crowded, noisy places frequently triggers my flight instincts for reasons I can't explain.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-04-17, 03:13 AM
I usually judge whether I can actually win the fight and only then do something. If there's a 6 foot 4, 220 pound biker chasing me with a hockey stick (I hit on his girlfriend at a bar), I'll run. There's simply no way I could hurt him even if I was good enough to. If it's some white trash kid trying to prove to his buddies he's tough or a crackhead looking to rob me for a fix, he's in for nice hook to the temple and a broken nose.

However, I don't go looking for fights and my body language is in general non-threatening and non-aggressive. I'll seriously try to make friends with a tough guy who wants to beat me up just because I think he'll make an interesting friend. Too bad I learned it way past elementary school :smallfrown:

Jølly
2009-04-17, 05:08 AM
I'm a wuss... :smallredface:

I tend to run and be scared very easily. I'm not a fighter though my brother is so he protects me. :smallsmile:

golentan
2009-04-17, 05:19 AM
My response varies wildly on the situation. The gist of it is that if it's only me, I'll head for the hills or curl up to protect my vitals and wait for things to stop.

As soon as others are involved though, it changes. A friend in danger will cause me to order the friend to flee while "I buy you some time."

Otherwise, something that is obviously a repeated threat to people rather than a one time shot for me will cause me to look for ways to permanently neutralize it. Though if possible this is best done while running.

I don't fight very often, but when I do I win, and I win hard. Because it's almost never worth fighting, and when it is, it's never worth holding back. In short, I'm about getting the maximum number of people to safety, weighted by friends first, followed by neutrals, and then me and the offensive party.

arguskos
2009-04-17, 05:23 AM
I don't fight very often, but when I do I win, and I win hard. Because it's almost never worth fighting, and when it is, it's never worth holding back.
This is my personal motto concerning fighting. If I have to fight in self-defense, I am not going to stop at anything to emerge victorious. The few brawls I've been in bear this out (one involved me tossing someone through a plate-glass window; another saw me kick my attacker down a staircase; and so on). I never kill, and I only fight in self-defense, but damn, I don't pull punches. Note that I'm not proud of what I've done v_v

Katrascythe
2009-04-17, 10:54 AM
Yeah... the model that includes not backing down from a fight is also the same on that's gonna not tell me when to stop. That's pretty much my main problem. I'll push to far in any event when it's not worth my effort. It means that when I lose.... I lose badly....

SoD
2009-04-17, 04:16 PM
Well, recently I was mugged. The bogans demanded all my money, and my first thought was "Quick! Throw your coffee in their faces and run!" until I realised how much money I actually had. So instead of wasting a $4.75 coffee, I handed over the $1.70 I had in my wallet. Either way, I was shaking while doing so, even though I had a feeling that they wouldn't carry out their threats in broad daylight (threats which included; bashing, stabbing, throat slitting, and rape). Even though I escaped unharmed, and can see the humerous side to it, it had made me feel powerless and awful for the next couple of days.

GoC
2009-04-17, 04:59 PM
I will fight. And it's invariably the stupid thing to do.:smallfrown:
I don't want to fight but my testosterone cloulds things over and says "So what if there are 40 of them and they've got knives and baseball bats? YOU'RE F**KING HARDCORE MAN!!!"

Exagerated, there were only four of them and they were unarmed.:smalltongue:

I generally initiate the fights, I'm calm until I snap then I go all-out, no-holds-barred, go-for-the-throat.

Thajocoth
2009-04-17, 10:06 PM
I'd do the 3rd option: Stand there looking dumb, unsure whether to fight or run, because the adrenaline is clouding my mind. Even when instinct appears, my mind grabs the reigns and says "NO! We're not doing ANYthing until I've considered EVERY option!"

However, I'm quite skilled at blocking, so that works anyway. Not that I've been in any fights since High School... My Ref is what it is from being around people who like to poke other people. I'll be talking with them for, like, 10 minutes and be mid-sentence and suddenly... POKE! They'll jab my side. They never successfully poke me anymore, but they still try.

Katrascythe
2009-04-18, 03:53 AM
However, I'm quite skilled at blocking, so that works anyway. Not that I've been in any fights since High School... My Ref is what it is from being around people who like to poke other people. I'll be talking with them for, like, 10 minutes and be mid-sentence and suddenly... POKE! They'll jab my side. They never successfully poke me anymore, but they still try.

I still vote that tickling will give you better reflexes. Especially when you realize that everybody you ever knew likes to tickle you simply because it gives a response...