PDA

View Full Version : Fighting in Zero gravity (PEACH)

PMDM
2006-08-20, 02:29 PM
It always bugged me how the rules for fighting don't allow for zero gravity and flying combat, so here's a varient for it.

First, you need to be able to work in 3D every square is now a 5ft. cube.

When moving in zero g, you push off with you land speed, and move in that direction until a object stops you. When you run into a unstable object, you can try 2 things.
1) You can try and take them with you, via a grapple check. Your land speed is now reduced by their weight.
2) You can try and push off of them, this requires a touch attack, and only if the target is willing. You have effectivly stopped, but the willing target now moves in your direction at your speed.

When fighting a enemy with a different center of gravity than you, than you recieve a -2 bonus on attacks. AoO work in 3D. If you recieve flanking from an ally, you recieve a +4 bonus on attacks instead of a +2.

Flying bull rushes and charages. By changing your center of gravity you may try to hurl yourself at an opponent to inflict damage. This is effectivly a charge or bull rush (In 3D), but for every 10 ft back, you may take a 1d6 slam attack instead (Modified by size, so large creatures do 1d8, and small do 1d4).

Example: A halfling is in subjective gravity , and 30 ft below an enemy. He decides to change his center of gravity to charge at the enemy. When he hits, he has the option of fight with his longsword (+2 for a charge, but a -2 for fighting someone on different gravity than him), or he can make a slam attack for 3d4 damage.

So, any suggestions?

Brickwall
2006-08-20, 03:17 PM
Books that you may wish to look at:

Manual of the Planes, as well as I think Deities and Demigods and/or the DMG have rules on weird gravity (although it seems that you may have seen some of it).

Star Wars d20, whether or not you like it, has sections on Zero-G fighting, and even feats to lessen penalties.

Changing one's center of gravity is difficult for an untrained person, and even then it does not accelerate one to the point where they can move even close to their land speed. Pushing off something is different, and that's probably described in one of the above rules.

By the way, this is in te wrong section. It goes in Homebrew as a [Variant].

IonizedChicken
2006-08-20, 03:34 PM
It bugged you? Why? I can hardly see when anyone would be forced to fight at zero-G in DND. And there are rules for combat while flying. Not at all different from land combat, though, except that you have maneuverability.

PMDM
2006-08-20, 04:15 PM
Exccept that most flight dosen't work in, say the astral plane. There's no real air, so while you can live, flying is at least impaired. Unless, of course, your somewhere like the Inner plane of Air.

I've really got to go and read the Manual of the Planes. I hear it's got good stuff in it.

Brickwall
2006-08-20, 05:17 PM
Anything with Perfect maneuverability can fly anywhere. Even the Astral Plane.

Collin152
2006-08-20, 07:29 PM
Zero Gravity is the Heart and Soul of (Nigh)Omnipotent-Video game style-end of campaign- Final Bosses.
It needs drama.

IonizedChicken
2006-08-20, 08:16 PM
^^ is that a rule? Because although very small creatures with wings have perfect maneuverability, they still need air to fly.

That said, magical flight of any kind doesn't require air.

PMDM
2006-08-20, 08:22 PM
That's true. Do you know if the MM makes any distinction on that?

Mr._Blinky
2006-08-21, 02:03 AM
It bugged you? Why? I can hardly see when anyone would be forced to fight at zero-G in DND. And there are rules for combat while flying. Not at all different from land combat, though, except that you have maneuverability.

I don't know about you, but some people may want to have certain planes with no gravity. Or play d20 future. Like me. So, yeah, there are actual reasons for zero-g rules, even if they are used infrequently.

ghost_warlock
2006-08-21, 10:18 AM
I'm certainly going to need them for my Psi-fi campaign! Right now, I'm as far into that as updating the the GRAPH system from Alternity, which includes what happens to an unprotected character in a vacuum. I haven't gotten to actual zero-g combat effects, yet. I may just *swipe* yours! ;D