PDA

View Full Version : lockdown (3.5 ed feat)

Stycotl
2009-04-17, 12:43 AM
Lockdown
When you are on the battlefield, you own the space around you.
Prerequisites: base attack bonus +8, Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise
Benefit: Squares adjacent to you are considered difficult terrain for enemies to cross into or through. Further, enemies not only provoke attacks of opportunity for moving out of squares that you threaten, but also for moving into those squares, unless they are taking 5-foot steps, are tumbling, or otherwise manage to deny you an attack of opportunity for movement.

Ponce
2009-04-17, 02:01 AM
Not that useful unless you are up against mass carriers.

Er, oops, wrong game...

But anyway, the requirements are too high in my opinion. By level 8, critters are going to be pretty big and lots of thing start flying around and generally being a nuisance (and otherwise ignoring this feat). CE is a pretty bad feat, too, though I guess someone with this sort of build will have it anyway. This is also a Knight class ability, though, keep in mind you are stepping on his toes with this feat.

Not bad overall, though

MeklorIlavator
2009-04-17, 02:30 AM
I'd probably change the Combat Expertise requirement to a Stand Still one, as it seems more fitting. Besides that, not really much to say.

Stycotl
2009-04-17, 12:56 PM
some awesome feedback, guys. thanks a bunch.

Not that useful unless you are up against mass carriers.

Er, oops, wrong game...

you had me scratching my head in bewilderment.

But anyway, the requirements are too high in my opinion. By level 8, critters are going to be pretty big and lots of thing start flying around and generally being a nuisance (and otherwise ignoring this feat).

interesting. i suppose that 8th level might be kinda steep, since people are flying by 5th or thereabouts. maybe i'll put it at 5th then, so that someone can pick this up for their 6th level feat.

note that it actually works against fliers, though i should clarify it. in order for a flier to enter this guy's threatened space, he provokes an AoO, unless he can hover or in some other way take an aerial 5' step, and his movement into squares adjacent to the lockdown guy are doubled (tripled on a diagonal) even in the air.

CE is a pretty bad feat, too, though I guess someone with this sort of build will have it anyway.

hmm, i'll answer this in response to the following post.

This is also a Knight class ability, though, keep in mind you are stepping on his toes with this feat.

i actually tried to make this compliment the knight. the knight makes all of the area that he threatens difficult terrain for anyone starting their turn within his reach. when i first brainstormed this feat, i was thinking that the knight's ability only worked on adjacent squares, not all threatened squares. this feat then simply doubled that, and it worked better.

but when i actually went to build it, i looked at the knight and realized that i really couldn't augment how much space became difficult, since he can't really reach farther than he can reach.

so i just decided that he should have a continual ability that does it to a smaller area (presuming that the knight has a reach weapon or something).

now though, i have a different idea. what do you guys think about the 'difficult terrain' ability being the exact opposite of the knight's? instead of it working on anyone that starts his turn within the lockdown's reach, it works on anyone coming into his reach.

it only works one time against most foes now (though it would wreck some havoc on a melee skirmisher), but anyone that approaches would need to take two turns of 5' steps, or pay the extra movement and provoke an AoO. pretty devious.

am i even making sense?

Not bad overall, though

well thank you.

I'd probably change the Combat Expertise requirement to a Stand Still one, as it seems more fitting. Besides that, not really much to say.

hmm, i'll check up on stand still, cuz i'd mindblanked about that one. phbII isn't it? don't bother answering, i'll have it looked up by then. thanks for the suggestion.