PDA

View Full Version : The Gnoblins (PEACH)

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-15, 09:50 PM
Fluff from the campaign setting:
The humans struck early and fast, under the banner of Zarus they began "purifying" their kingdom and the lands surrounding it, killing thousands in the first few years alone. The Gnomes, who's homeland lay directly to the north of the human lands, were hit first. To prevent the humans from obtaining their amazing inventions for nefarious purposes, the Gnomes blew up their own homeland as they fled, burning the land and destroying the workshops.

But where were they to go? Off into the wilds, where they wouldn't be chased by the murderous humans. They began eeking out a living there, with help from an unexpected source: The Goblins.

That was 500 years ago, the war still rages in the south, and though the two species are still obviously seperate, amongst them walk half breeds, Half Goblin, Half Gnome, they are the Gnoblins.

Gnoblin Traits
Small Humanoid(Gnome)

Gnoblins possess the following racial traits.

* +2 Constitution, -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma
*Gnoblins share the increased hearty nature and agility of both parents, but are somewhat weaker than the larger races due to their size. Their odd genetic background makes them sometimes unappealing to look at.
* Small size. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
* A gnoblin's base land speed is 20 feet.
* Darkvision to 30 ft.
* +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions.
* +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the giant type (such as ogres, trolls, and hill giants).
* +2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
* Automatic Languages: Common, Gnome, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Orc.
* Favored Class: Ranger

/*
So this is completely my first attempt at anything like this. Should I have left the natural spells in? Is this underpowered/overpowered/overly complicated?

Is the fluff at least alright?

I made the favored class the Ranger, because of them being forced to live out in the wilds. Would this be smarter than my original idea (Rogue) ?
*/

beezly
2006-05-15, 10:34 PM
Ranger would be more flavorful. I'm just trying to come up with an image of them...

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-15, 10:35 PM
Ranger would be more flavorful. I'm just trying to come up with an image of them...
Green gnomes with pointy ears? I'm not totally sure, I've kind of left it up to the imagination as I figure the combination would create a very diversified mix.

BelkarsDagger
2006-05-15, 11:26 PM
Interesting. So basically they retain their gnomish appearence but goblinoid personallities? Cool idea. I wish I had thought of that ;D

idksocrates
2006-05-15, 11:45 PM
I would place the dodge bonus against humanoids, as that seems to be more consistent with your fluff. With that, I think it balances, since they don't get really any of their other gnomish abilities.

Without that, they are actually underpowered.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-16, 12:02 AM
I would place the dodge bonus against humanoids, as that seems to be more consistent with your fluff. With that, I think it balances, since they don't get really any of their other gnomish abilities.

Without that, they are actually underpowered.

Perhaps I should give them some of their Gnomish powers? I wasn't sure if that would break it, so I took them out.

BCOVertigo
2006-05-16, 02:59 AM
Gods man why? WHY??

You have unleashed The Pestilence upon us! Surely the end is nigh!

Gnoblins = the stuff of my darkest nightmares. :'(

SpiderBrigade
2006-05-16, 04:31 AM
See, I think these guys sound like they'd get along with Kobolds pretty well. So eventually after many generations you could get a lot of interesting combinations due to Mendelian genetics.

Gnobolds
Kobolins

and the ultimate horrifying crossbreed...

Knoblomes! Or would that be Knoboblins?

This is what happens when I stay up too late ;-)

Jack Mann
2006-05-16, 05:06 AM

No.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-16, 07:43 AM
Gods man why? WHY??

You have unleashed The Pestilence upon us! Surely the end is nigh!

Gnoblins = the stuff of my darkest nightmares. :'(

Why would that be?

Should I go ahead and assume you're one of those people who randomly hates the Gnomes?

Dalcassius
2006-05-16, 10:37 AM
Makes me think about Halfling Kobold crossbreeding. A Xenobiologist Wizard PrC should exist for the fact that there are many aberrations attributed to wizard tinkering. If I were to use this race in a game I ran, I'd probably attribute it to arcane genetic tinkering from some mage trying to create a servant or suprior race or something similar.

Telonius
2006-05-16, 01:54 PM
Would this race fall under Gnome, Goblinoid, or its own category for its Subtype (and Favored Enemy purposes)?

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-16, 02:10 PM
Would this race fall under Gnome, Goblinoid, or its own category for its Subtype (and Favored Enemy purposes)?

I thought I had listed that oops. I put them down as Humanoid.

Jack Mann
2006-05-16, 04:34 PM
Humanoid isn't specific enough. One cannot have humanoid as a favored enemy. It should therefore be humanoid (gnome) or else goblinoid.

BCOVertigo
2006-05-16, 07:05 PM
My first DM had a bit of a gnome fetish....

In every campaign there was a god-npc (gnome wizard specializing in evocation and more specifically electricity) who we had no chance to defeat and who was also very lazy/prone to commanding others to do his bidding. One time I got close but that was only until he decided that the wizard would spontaneously be able to cast spells from a grapple. (Not even stilled mind you, he was that much better than us.)

Yes, I hate gnomes but I have a very good reason.

Also I called the Orkin man and apparently he doesn't have the equipment to deal with a gnoblin infestation....

Seraph
2006-05-16, 07:35 PM
Nobby Nobbs at last has a race to call his own.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-16, 07:55 PM
Humanoid isn't specific enough. One cannot have humanoid as a favored enemy. It should therefore be humanoid (gnome) or else goblinoid.
Eh, wouldn't it be "Humanoid(Gnoblin)"?

What do Half Elves/Orcs count as for this type of thing?

Steward
2006-05-16, 08:29 PM
Eh, wouldn't it be "Humanoid(Gnoblin)"?

What do Half Elves/Orcs count as for this type of thing?

Half elves have elfin blood and half orcs have orc-ish blood.

Jack Mann
2006-05-16, 08:29 PM
Half-orcs count as humanoid (orc) and half-elves count as humanoid (elf). Gnoblins should either count as humanoid (goblinoid), humanoid (gnome), or possibly as both.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-17, 10:10 PM
Half-orcs count as humanoid (orc) and half-elves count as humanoid (elf). Gnoblins should either count as humanoid (goblinoid), humanoid (gnome), or possibly as both.
Hrm, I guess just Humanoid (gnome) would work then.

What does "PEACH" mean by the way? I keep seeing it in other New Stuff threads.

Jack Mann
2006-05-17, 10:52 PM
Please Examine And Comment Honestly. We get asked that at least once a week. Sometimes more.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-18, 12:35 AM
Please Examine And Comment Honestly. We get asked that at least once a week. Sometimes more.
It should probably be in the "Common Abbreviations" thread then because last I checked it wasn't.

Goumindong
2006-05-18, 01:27 AM
Two pages and no one has brought up Hobgnoblins?

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-18, 01:49 AM
I get the feeling this idea isn't well recieved. Though I have noticed a rather high distaste for Gnomes on the boards so I should have expected that.

SpiderBrigade
2006-05-18, 01:51 AM

Really, from what I know of these boards it's iffy if we really need to say PEACH. I mean, the people here have that as their default mode.

geek_2049
2006-05-18, 05:18 AM
Not goblin or gnome, but a while back I came up with a fun half breed. The product of drunken barn dances yields Dorcs=Dwarf+Orc. Complete with a -4 cha, and with a face only a mother could love.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-18, 09:06 PM
Not goblin or gnome, but a while back I came up with a fun half breed. The product of drunken barn dances yields Dorcs=Dwarf+Orc. Complete with a -4 cha, and with a face only a mother could love.
Well yeah this is less of a "What have I done?!" chew off own arm to get out of the bed scenario and more of a "Our species are dieing...we must band together to survive" and then living side by side for so many years, the lines begin to blur.

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-05-18, 09:21 PM
I like the idea, i tried out making half-halflings, with soem success a little while ago, they were human/halfllings though.....i may try with kobolds soon...... ;D

Here's the linky to my crimes against nature ;)

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1146698474 ;start=

High-Chancellor
2006-05-18, 10:54 PM
See, I think these guys sound like they'd get along with Kobolds pretty well. So eventually after many generations you could get a lot of interesting combinations due to Mendelian genetics.

Gnobolds
Kobolins

This is what happens when I stay up too late ;-)

So very VERY yes...

Someone make one of those next.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-05-19, 02:21 AM
Complains-of-Names approves of this idea.

But not the name.
That's a joke. Complains-of-Names is a ficticious character, and I like the idea and the name.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-19, 02:40 AM
Complains-of-Names approves of this idea.

But not the name.
That's a joke. Complains-of-Names is a ficticious character, and I like the idea and the name.
Thanks. :P

Jothki
2006-05-19, 05:28 AM
Really, from what I know of these boards it's iffy if we really need to say PEACH. I mean, the people here have that as their default mode.

It really is fairly redundant. The boards did just fine without it.

I remember the day that meme started here. The first use was enough to annoy me, and then more and more threads were made...

It could be my Nintendo fanboyishness showing through, but that word has too strong of an outside meaning for me to accept it in that context. Ah well.

On topic, do the gnoblins tend towards tinkering, or did the gnomes completely give that up when they fled?

Heh, I just thought of something. Would they be nearly identical to the Warcraft goblins?

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-20, 01:32 PM
Since they're living in hiding pretty much, they don't tinker. They do invent useful things to help them survive, but they don't spend time on it like they did before.

I'm actually working on a "Tinker" class, so that the gnomes can "Discover their long lost potential" at some point. I have no idea what to do with it so far. It's going to be similar to artificer, but not Eberron geared.

Shyftir
2006-08-18, 08:36 AM

I happen to know a family named Knoblich (not that spelling but basically that sound)

Would that mean that they are undead 1/3 kobold, 1/3 gnome, 1/3 goblin wizards?
cuz thats freakin' awesome...

Fizban
2006-08-19, 02:53 AM
Hmmm, methinks I sense some Threadomancy. I asume you dug this up out of the compendium.
It seems that the gnome aspect is dominent, just make it hummanoid (gnome), with goblin blood?

kopout
2008-11-01, 01:27 PM
I know I should let this die but ... any thoughts on hobgomblins?

insecure
2008-11-03, 04:02 PM
I know I should let this die but ... any thoughts on hobgomblins?

I'm sorry, but I think this one is pretty dead already. If you aren't familiar with the rules of posting, you should know that it is considered thread necromancy to post in a thread where the last post is more than one month old.