Zenos
2009-04-19, 05:32 AM
LOl. Poor Vaarsuvius, never get's to have fun. :smallbiggrin:

TerraImmorits
V is seriously a ticking timebomb. And Belkar is quippy as ever. :smallamused:

MOD
Can a get a hell ya?! Woot! The OOTS is back together!!!!!

Zanaril
2009-04-19, 05:35 AM
Poor V.

Now it gets interesting...

Silverraptor
2009-04-19, 05:36 AM
Ya this comic was great. When Elan and Haley were reunited, I actually felt like the world had finally stopped bleeding.:smallsmile: But insanity is still on with V's failure of arcane might once again.:smallamused: And how will Roy scold V when he gets his body back?:smallconfused:

DwarvenExodus
2009-04-19, 05:36 AM
Hilarious seeing roy and the spirits chat!

FINALLY!!!!! OOTS ARE ONE!!!

SPoD
2009-04-19, 05:38 AM
Wow. Every member of the OOTS together in one panel (with Roy there twice!)

We haven't seen that since...(goes to look it up)...comic #424, when Vaarsvuius ran off to fight the Titanium Elementals, 222 strips ago.

Aethir
2009-04-19, 05:40 AM
Haha, never even considered Roy spotting the other souls on V. Totally awesome save on their part though.

Silverraptor
2009-04-19, 05:41 AM
Wow. Every member of the OOTS together in one panel (with Roy there twice!)

We haven't seen that since...(goes to look it up)...comic #424, when Vaarsvuius ran off to fight the Titanium Elementals, 222 strips ago.

Oh my gosh, your right!:smalleek: Well things are back together now.:smallsmile:

Yendor
2009-04-19, 05:41 AM
(1.67x1015)Q is my new favourite character name.

Actually... those souls shouting "KILL!" is sure to tip Roy off. Maybe he'll get to use his new training (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0600.html) on them.

Berserk Monk
2009-04-19, 05:43 AM
YEEEEEEEEEEEEESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Order's back (almost). Finally! Let's move on out to the other gates.

Screech
2009-04-19, 05:48 AM
finnaly back together!! its been way to long .
all we need is a rez for roy asap. i have been missing him

RMS Oceanic
2009-04-19, 05:49 AM
Again Vaarsuvius' ego takes a massive beating.

An interesting twist in Roy seeing the other souls. I wonder if he'll act on that...

fishboy
2009-04-19, 05:53 AM
That was......priceless!!
Thanks for the litteral laugh-out-loud moment Giant!
I actually felt bad for V when his big moment was ruined once again (and with a "hullo" too).

Kaytara
2009-04-19, 05:54 AM
Heh, hilarious to see Roy talking with the other souls. Great to see the party reunited so soon, too. And Vaarsuvius gets points for not needing to be talked into finding Durkon and Elan, despite what he said when they parted ways.

However, I, for one, am hoping that the next strip will provide an explanation of how Durkon and Elan were apparently able to cross a huge distance in just a few days... Because really, the way it stands now is just both improbable and extremely unfair for Vaarsuvius. XD

Roc Ness
2009-04-19, 05:56 AM
Gotta love that square guy

RMS Oceanic
2009-04-19, 05:58 AM
However, I, for one, am hoping that the next strip will provide an explanation of how Durkon and Elan were apparently able to cross a huge distance in just a few days... Because really, the way it stands now is just both improbable and extremely unfair for Vaarsuvius. XD

My favoured explaination: Durkon cast Plane Shift twice, slungshot round a friendly plan to land closer to Greysky, and they travelled from there.

Also, Belkar gets a good line thanks to the context. I liked that too.

Xandro
2009-04-19, 05:58 AM
Finally Elan and Haley are reunited after 178 strips. That's about 72,4 percent of their entire relation (246 strips).

They are so cute! :smallsmile:

Raging Gene Ray
2009-04-19, 05:59 AM

If I had to choose between the two, I'd take seeing Durkon and Elan's reaction to V's behavior and some "Are ye just concerned about winnin'?" type character development (not to mention how Haley and Celia react when they learn about V isolating hirself from everyone else) over tying up some minor plot hole.

snafu
2009-04-19, 06:01 AM
What does a resurrected character remember of their experiences while dead?

Because I'm pretty sure Roy now has a very clear idea of what those two extra spirits are all about. Sure, 'subcontractors' was a decent bluff, but I think 'KILL! KILL!' was a dead giveaway. And since Durkon's finally on the scene, he can expect to be raised pretty soon.

B. Dandelion
2009-04-19, 06:05 AM
OH! I did NOT see that coming -- Roy actually being able to see those guys! I really hope we stick with his POV because that lets us distinguish the two, and see them as real characters with different personalities instead of disembodied voices that largely just echo each other.

And V's "greeting" of Celia was classic, especially combined with Haley's reaction. Her new hairstyle is actually... uh, I don't want to say "growing"... becoming more appealing to me. Although I had thought that V and Celia were on slightly more friendly terms than that, what with V helping her to pick out an outfit (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0298.html) that was designed to get Roy's attention. Maybe that was more of a favor to Roy, though?

Sovjohn
2009-04-19, 06:09 AM
At last...They are back together. Only a good thing concerning story.

factotum
2009-04-19, 06:10 AM

Well, how do you know it was a huge distance? The fleet has been sailing for some months, that much is true, but it spent the first couple trying to get Azure City's southern allies to help retake the city, and the rest hunting around looking for somewhere to settle--for all we know they've gone in a big circle and are quite near to Greysky.

Secondly, Durkon is a reasonably high level cleric, and he can cast Wind Walk, which allows 60mph travel for a goodly long while...he could hop from island to island back along the fleet's route and manage in days what it took the fleet weeks to accomplish.

isamaru
2009-04-19, 06:10 AM
"I have no feelings on viewing you. You are largely irrelevant." is my new favorite quote! :smallbiggrin:
Didn't expect that the Order would reunite so soon, can't wait to see how their confrontation develops!

charl
2009-04-19, 06:11 AM
Gotta love that square guy

That's a Modron. And yes, they are awesome.

factotum
2009-04-19, 06:12 AM
That's a Modron. And yes, they are awesome.

Why would a Modron be in Pandemonium? Bit odd that an exemplar of pure Law would be found in the Chaotic Evil plane...

Dread Cthulhu
2009-04-19, 06:13 AM
Oh yes. Things are looking up for...everything now.

Hamilkar
2009-04-19, 06:14 AM
Poor V, indeed. :smallbiggrin:

charl
2009-04-19, 06:14 AM
Why would a Modron be in Pandemonium? Bit odd that an exemplar of pure Law would be found in the Chaotic Evil plane...

It's a call centre. It's outsourced. The Modron is clearly on Mechanus. Look at the gears in the background. ;)

V'icternus
2009-04-19, 06:15 AM
Ah, the Order of the Stick reunites. Well, with some changes...

Roy is dead, Haley's had her hair cut, Belkar is faking character development, V is... well, soul-spliced.

Still, all surmountable obstacles.

Krouv
2009-04-19, 06:16 AM
I love it how V is now more unreasonable and impulsive than Belkar.:smalltongue:

Holammer
2009-04-19, 06:16 AM
Lovely strip! It's good to finally see everyone together again. well sorta anyway. Roys conversation with the other souls and Belkar's voice of reason was awesome. :smallsmile:

Prowl
2009-04-19, 06:17 AM
V's first line is the best one in a long time, brought a big silly grin to my face this fine morning.

shylocxs
2009-04-19, 06:18 AM
Good to see everyone in the same comic again. Even if one is the verge of being corrupted by near infinite magical power, another is a bone golem, two are being all mushy, and one still talks and writes in a funny accent. I'm missed everyone... does this mean that we're about to have a brief period of happiness?

Or will it all go dark again....

Arnen
2009-04-19, 06:19 AM
Haley and Elan made me smile. :smallsmile:

Kaytara
2009-04-19, 06:20 AM
Well, how do you know it was a huge distance? The fleet has been sailing for some months, that much is true, but it spent the first couple trying to get Azure City's southern allies to help retake the city, and the rest hunting around looking for somewhere to settle--for all we know they've gone in a big circle and are quite near to Greysky.

Secondly, Durkon is a reasonably high level cleric, and he can cast Wind Walk, which allows 60mph travel for a goodly long while...he could hop from island to island back along the fleet's route and manage in days what it took the fleet weeks to accomplish.

That's a pretty good explanation, but my assumption that Greysky City is far away is based mostly on the fact that it's in a completely different climate zone, since the islands were the fleet was stationed are clearly tropical. Greysky City is also between Azure City and Cliffport, which is "way more than four weeks north of [Azure City]", and what we get from the comic does not indicate that Greysky is particularly close to Azure City. (Didn't we get a map in War and XPs? Can someone shed some more light on the exact location of Greysky City?)

Wind Walk is a good explanation, but if Durkon had it, why didn't he use it (or at least lament not having requested it that day) to help Roy fight Xykon, when the former was badly in need of anything resembling a Fly spell?

Selene
2009-04-19, 06:24 AM
That. Was. Awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Taekwondodo
2009-04-19, 06:25 AM
Phew... It's nice having the team back together again.

Ha! Poor V, no chance to use her "ultimate power" that cost so much. That'll teach hir!:smallamused:

Totally Guy
2009-04-19, 06:26 AM
It's all up to you now Durkon. Do your thing.

factotum
2009-04-19, 06:27 AM
Wind Walk is a good explanation, but if Durkon had it, why didn't he use it (or at least lament not having requested it that day) to help Roy fight Xykon, when the former was badly in need of anything resembling a Fly spell?

I don't think Wind Walk is particularly useful as a combat spell, considering it turns you into a cloud of fog that can either only move at 10 feet (which wouldn't have been able to keep up with Xykon's dragon) or 600 feet with poor manoeuvrability (in which case you would have difficulty hitting a target that small).

Järnblomma
2009-04-19, 06:27 AM
Hooray! They ar getting back together! Now lets hope there is some forgivness for Vaarsuvius (and that it does not consist of "oh, you killed a species. Well, well, lets get going" :smalltongue:) and that Roy will be rescurected soon! :smallbiggrin:

Also, the spirits seem to be able to talk with each other withoout Roy hearing. "Bluff is class skill for a sorcerer"...

Crod
2009-04-19, 06:30 AM
I wonder how much longer V is going to be able to hold on to the splices. Especially considering his/hers emotional outbursts lately. I'm betting trying to trance or sleep is not an option.

Have to love the comments by Belkar and V. Seeing them together again is great.

hewhosaysfish
2009-04-19, 06:31 AM

Because Wind Walk works by transforming you into a gaseous form (as per the Gaseous Form spell, as a matter of fact) which prevents you from attacking.
It does let you switch between solid and gaseous forms repeatedly during the spells duration so Roy could have turned gaseous, wafted over to Xykon's dragon, reformed fought, fallen off, turned gaseous and flown away safely...

...but the transformation takes 5 rounds (30 seconds) either way so Xykon could have easily pasted Roy while he was rematerialising (or moved the dragon away, leaving Roy to appear in mid-air) and there's a fair chance that when he fell Roy would have hit the ground before he could go gaseous (anyone who knows the terminal velocity of a human body want to work that one out for me?).

Also, Durkon probably didn't have Wind Walk prepared that day (Jack Vance strikes again (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0345.html)!) because an overland travel spell doesn't seem very useful for a seige.

Cizak
2009-04-19, 06:36 AM
Oh. My. God. This is one of the most awesome comics EVER!!

Why?

1) All the party-members together in one panel (sort of.)
2) Roy's chat with the souls = hilarious
3) Elan nd Haley back together.
4) V's failure. To quote one of the roaches from SoD:
"Other peoples pain are funny." And I think all this is a real pain for V :smalltongue:

OmegaDonut
2009-04-19, 06:40 AM

I think you might've confused Wind Walk with Air Walk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/airWalk.htm).

Selene
2009-04-19, 06:43 AM

I don't think Wind Walk is particularly useful as a combat spell, considering it turns you into a cloud of fog that can either only move at 10 feet (which wouldn't have been able to keep up with Xykon's dragon) or 600 feet with poor manoeuvrability (in which case you would have difficulty hitting a target that small).

Also the d20srd says the cloud you turn into with Wind Walk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/windWalk.htm) is similar to Gaseous Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gaseousForm.htm). Gaseous Form doesn't allow you to manipulate objects. So at best, IMO, Roy would have been able to float at Xykon menacingly with a Wind Walk spell.

Not to mention the fact that it would have taken Durkon out of the action, since he would have had to go with Roy.

edit: Ninja'ed. LOL.

elonin
2009-04-19, 06:43 AM
It's great to see the group back together. I'm just wondering if Belkar will say something stupid before V looses the other 2 splices and gets an epic spell sent his way.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-04-19, 06:44 AM
I am more that a little excited here. I honestly don't know how far V will go, but I doubt he will join team villain at any point. After all (and I should know) even evil has standards.

Lissou
2009-04-19, 06:46 AM
Very nice update.
I feel bad for V, and I'm really anticipating the next few strips: explanations, Roy's resurrection...
I'm guessing we're close to the end of this book, too.

T-O-E
2009-04-19, 06:51 AM
I hope s/he won't screw this up.

Shatteredtower
2009-04-19, 06:52 AM
Godsdammit, V, let it go.

Military Man
2009-04-19, 06:52 AM
Heh heh heh......
poor old irony for V eh? :smallamused:
Nice to see the order together after....

kingjosh
2009-04-19, 06:58 AM
I have liked most of the strips/subplots that we have been having recently, I guess. But, they just plain went on for too long.

Most of the subplots have been wrapped up, and most of the team is back together. (The soul-splice subplot is obviously still outstanding, but that is pretty much it. Belkar's "character development" is probably a permanent change, so it doesn't need to be "wrapped up." As for Haley's hair, "Cure Serious Wounds?")

That last few comics have been some of the best. Plot-movement and funny, and both in spades! :smallcool:

EDIT: And the forums are working! I got to the forums, the OOTS sub-forum, this thread, the second page of this thread, and posted a reply all without a hiccup! Even though the strip was only just posted 2 pages ago!

Estelindis
2009-04-19, 06:59 AM
It *does* feel so very good. I literally have a huge grin on my face seeing Haley and Elan together again. :smallbiggrin: Seriously, this is just awesome. It may have taken a long time, but it's so sweet when it finally happens. Huzzah! :smallsmile:

Mc. Lovin'
2009-04-19, 07:03 AM
Wow, OOTs back together! What does the title mean?

Assassin89
2009-04-19, 07:05 AM
The reuniting of the order is awesome. Although V is currently lamenting her inability to use spells for reuniting the order, she might get a chance to shine by teleporting the order to Girard's gate. It also appears that Celia being killed by V would be a waste of power.

motub
2009-04-19, 07:06 AM
Nice one, Giant :smallsmile: -- for so many reasons (most of which have been mentioned above).

But in short, it was nice to see your deft story management at work (you got me, too, with the "Roy sees the spliced souls"), nice to have the party back together (and so quickly, without feeling like you "cheated" to accomplish it), nice to laugh at a pure slapstick joke (and played on V of all people, no less), nice to have the romantic moment of Haley and Elan reuniting (looking forward to Celia and Roy reuniting as well), and wonderful to know that, even though I enjoyed the scenic route, we're just about back on track to the main quest.

And all in one strip. Nice, nice, nice one, Giant! I really enjoyed it.

WinterSolstice
2009-04-19, 07:16 AM
hurray! :smallbiggrin: hopefully by 650 we'll have Roy rezzed and the Order fully reunited!

Mauve Shirt
2009-04-19, 07:19 AM
FINALLY! :smallbiggrin: Now all we need is a Roy rez!
I hope V gets rid of his power soon though. :smallannoyed:

WinterSolstice
2009-04-19, 07:19 AM
Or will it all go dark again....

well we may be saying goodbye to V for a few days in the coming strips...that pact s/he signed onto has gotta come up sometime

HUMVEE Driver
2009-04-19, 07:21 AM

The song, you know? "Reunited and it feels so good..."

EDIT: By Peaches and Herb.

Great comic. Made me smile to see them together again. Get Roy raised and it's perfect.

Comet
2009-04-19, 07:22 AM
Durkon's "Hullo?" was the best bit.
Be afraid, forces of Evil! The Order of the Stick walks the lands again!

This calls for some heavy-duty celebration.

Adeptus
2009-04-19, 07:30 AM
I love it! Matter of fact reply to Celia is perfect.

And poor V :sigh:

Kilarny
2009-04-19, 07:34 AM
:smallbiggrin:
Awesome, awesome. Happy to see the group together again.
*chains the Giant to his comic-making workstation*
Now, MORE! MORE! *whip*

Laketh Stadt
2009-04-19, 07:35 AM
I was expecting a few more panels of Haley and Elan, but its good to see all of them reunited.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-04-19, 07:41 AM
I was expecting a few more panels of Haley and Elan, but its good to see all of them reunited.

At this point, more of Haley and Elan would take us quickly into NSFW territory! :smallbiggrin:

And yes it's good to see them all at once!

Krytha
2009-04-19, 07:42 AM
well the team is together again with enough power to get everyone back in one piece... but what now?

RosesOnConcrete
2009-04-19, 07:57 AM
The Order's all in one spot again! *happy fan!* Yeah, there will be issues when Roy gets his body back and goes "So, V, about those other people shackled to your consciousness...let's talk about that." but right now? FINALLY.

And yeah...methinks Haley and Elan ran off panel a minute or two after scene cut to get on with the real reunioning. Yay for keeping the comic worksafe? :P

Dagren
2009-04-19, 08:03 AM
Haha, "Subcontractors". Is it just me, or does Ganonron not look evil in this one? I mean, just look at him. Anyway, it really is amazing how much has happened in the 10 strips since V took up the soul splice. I mean, assuming they have the diamonds, they're like one spell away from the full reuniting of the order. (Maybe 2, if we include a Disintegrate to free Roy's remains from the Golem or something)

Zanaril
2009-04-19, 08:09 AM
Is it just me, or does Ganonron not look evil in this one? I mean, just look at him.

Looking evil takes effort. Also, it doesn't help you in situations like that one.

SkredlitheOgre
2009-04-19, 08:12 AM
Ha. V shoved away from the forefront. Again. How awesome is that?

Dagren
2009-04-19, 08:15 AM
You know, I could really see someone in panel 7 or 8 saying "Wow, that was fast". You know, given the lead-in by V.

Wanderer
2009-04-19, 08:15 AM
V, the world doesn't revolve around you. But that's the problem, isn't it? You want everyone to worship you. You must have some serious self-confidence issues that you're overcompensating for.

Now, you want to be useful, go out there and vaporize Xykon again. Even without the necromancer you have the combined power of two epic casters, so don't tell me you can't do it.

lothos
2009-04-19, 08:17 AM
First, let me say this was an awesome comic. Rich as made us wait for this moment and it's so much sweeter when it arrives... but of course there are so many other threads going on that though the order is *finally* reunited, we can't wait to see how so many other things play out....

The Order's all in one spot again! *happy fan!* Yeah, there will be issues when Roy gets his body back and goes "So, V, about those other people shackled to your consciousness...let's talk about that." but right now? FINALLY.

And yeah...methinks Haley and Elan ran off panel a minute or two after scene cut to get on with the real reunioning. Yay for keeping the comic worksafe? :P

Someone earlier on in this thread asked how much the dead remember when returned to life. I guess we probably can't answer that for sure in this campaign world. Horace Greenhilt said back in strip 600 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0600.html) that Roy should spend a feat on the technique he had just taught roy in clestia. So that suggests Roy can remember the afterlife.. which might also include everything he heard from the Oracle.

I checked P171 of the 3.5 edition Players Handbook, it doesn't say anything one way or the other about if the dead remember their experiences after being resurrected.

Does anyone know of anything in any other source books that speak on this topic ?

Axl_Rose
2009-04-19, 08:20 AM
haha nice reference to the song. I remember hearing it all the friggin time when I was a kid and my parents took us on long road trips playing their retro muzak lol.

Kareasint
2009-04-19, 08:30 AM
V saw his arcana power was not strong enough to allow him to overcome all problems. He saw this as a weakness and took the splice to over come those problems. About the only one he stopped was the Dragon.

V has become Fate's plaything at this point. Every time V starts to try and use UAP to overcome a problem that he could not before, Fate causes the problem to go away.

The Fiends must be about to pass out from laughter.

Mannryu
2009-04-19, 08:31 AM
YES! OotS is finally back together! One may be dead but he's still present.. :smalltongue:
Anyway I am sure everyone can feel that things are going to get really interesting from now on...

TerraImmorits
2009-04-19, 08:35 AM
YES! OotS is finally back together! One may be dead but he's still present.. :smalltongue:
Anyway I am sure everyone can feel that things are going to get really interesting from now on...

Roy has to be rezzed, so we can have the new version of...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0120.html - With everyone different. ...Except Durkon.

jmucchiello
2009-04-19, 08:55 AM
Ha! Poor V, no chance to use her "ultimate power" that is costing so much. That'll teach hir!:smallamused:
Fixed that for you.

kingjosh
2009-04-19, 08:59 AM
Barely three pages of comments, over three hours after the comic was posted?! The forums work at all over three hours after the comic was posted?!

Whats going on here?!

Golem
2009-04-19, 09:00 AM
You know, the more V wants to show off his/her (strictly speaking) unnecessarily obtained otherworldly power, the less needed it becomes. Color me amused... and this might prove a very harsh and expensive lesson for our arcane elf to learn. I wonder... if V will be one of the ones who doesn't get their happy ending.

otakuryoga
2009-04-19, 09:16 AM
Heh, hilarious to see Roy talking with the other souls. Great to see the party reunited so soon, too. And Vaarsuvius gets points for not needing to be talked into finding Durkon and Elan, despite what he said when they parted ways.

we will get that as bonus content in the next book 8)

Griever3216
2009-04-19, 09:26 AM
Even though there are many funny elements in the strip, I cannot break a smile because my heart is beating so fast. I can feel the moment is close, the Order is finally together.

On another note, Roy (I cannot believe I am writing this name) will be surprised when he finds out about the deal much much later. And if V does not get another moment soon to shine with the last soul, it sems he will hold onto it for quite some time.

quick_comment
2009-04-19, 09:28 AM
I second a prior post that Roy is going to fight the spliced souls soon.

And Durkon and Elan were probably teleported by an Azure city wizard.

Jelissei
2009-04-19, 09:55 AM
(...)

The Fiends must be about to pass out from laughter.

I know, I am!

Mannryu
2009-04-19, 10:06 AM
Barely three pages of comments, over three hours after the comic was posted?! The forums work at all over three hours after the comic was posted?!

Whats going on here?!

It's possible that such thing is because it's sunday. People are sleeping / eating / doing home work / etc. Maybe? Tho I agree that people of our league [read as: D&D nerds (no offense anyone)] spend sundays on computers.

Which reminds me I still have to do my homework. Damn.

Trizap
2009-04-19, 10:21 AM
heheheheh, V is learning an important lesson: not all problems can be solved by magic, she ends up being completely useless in fixing everything, I mean at least
she thought that she could reunite everyone but then elan and durkon walk in, and now suddenly V has no reason to use her power.

though I still think it would also be funny if:

:vaarsuvius: The Order of the Stick shall now be reunited! *casts greater teleport*

:elan: and :durkon: teleport in from the greater teleport.

:elan: HALEY!!!

:vaarsuvius: at last the Order of the Stick is reunited! My power has not failed me! I fixed all that I can!

:durkon: uuuuumm.........V......

:vaarsuvius: shush! I have finally used my ultimate arcane power to fix it all! I finally rectified the situation! rejoice! let us resurrect Mr. Greenhilt!

:durkon: V!

:vaarsuvius: yes, what is it, dwarf? why aren't you resurrecting Sir Greenhilt?

:durkon: we were right outside the door, about to come in, you could have
just wait two seconds and we would have walked in and you wouldn't have had to waste a spell slot.

:vaarsuvius:.........................NOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

SinisterPenguin
2009-04-19, 10:32 AM
I can't help but get the feeling that V is going to snap any second now.

Bloodrage
2009-04-19, 10:37 AM
Let us resurrect Sir Greenhilt, to restore the whole order!

malakim2099
2009-04-19, 10:37 AM
The Karmic Gods are calling V, they are saying, "Give up the splices already!" :smalltongue:

Should be an interesting next 4+ issues, with Roy coming back and everything else.

Mojique
2009-04-19, 10:42 AM
Reunion!

It is so long ago since we saw the complete OotS in one panel.

Mannryu
2009-04-19, 10:44 AM
Should be an interesting next 4+ issues, with Roy coming back and everything else.

Agreed. I wonder if he will tell Belkar about his "before-the-year-ends-last-breath" as the oracle said. After all, memory charm didn't effect Roy in his current form... I don't wish to think how will Belkar react to that.

Zanaril
2009-04-19, 10:47 AM
Ha! Poor V, no chance to use her "ultimate power" that is costing so much. That'll teach hir!:smallamused:

Fixed that for you.

On that matter, I wouldn't be surprised if V ends up trying to get the rest of the Order to hurry up, while they all hang around saying that another day or two to get things sorted out where they are won't cost them anything.

Aimbot
2009-04-19, 10:48 AM
Hey now, someone's gotta destroy that golem...

V's gonna paste it.

Kaytara
2009-04-19, 10:53 AM
The lesson is less "magical power isn't needed to fix everything" and more "I, Vaarsuvius, am not needed to fix everything". It was, after all, the magical power of the Sending that fixed this problem, and the source of the problem itself - the Cloister - was likewise magical in nature.

But what bothers me a bit is that this "lesson" feels somewhat forced. That Haley finally succeeded - after months of silence, mind you - in contacting Durkon sometime during the relatively tiny time frame of Vaarsuvius sitting alone on an island is a pretty huge coincidence, as timing goes. After months of nothing, all the problems are just miraculously solved by themselves. Vaarsuvius is being thoroughly kicked around by fate for making what was essentially the right decision, given what he knew at the time. Not having a clue about Haley's Sending, Vaarsuvius was perfectly justified in believing that it WAS, in fact, up to him to fix this mess. That the other half of the team would finally be having a breakthrough was something he couldn't have counted on, nor should he have been counting on it.

Lunaya
2009-04-19, 10:55 AM
What's this? The Order's been reunited and someone gave the "Stfu" to Celia? I am a happy fangirl. :smallbiggrin:

I also have to say I'm with Belkar as far as the "mushy stuff" goes. :smallwink:

Zanaril
2009-04-19, 11:10 AM
The mushy stuff between Haley and Elan may become hard for V to stand for long, because it will remind her of her own relationshp, or current lack thereof. It may even be what finally prompts her to contact Inky to try and make up.

Post soul splice, obviously.

NamonakiRei
2009-04-19, 11:16 AM
Oh gods... FINALLY! :smallbiggrin: I've been waiting for this for what it feels like eons now! As everyone on the forums, I'd guess.
I am so happy for Haely and Elan. And I wonder how will they react when they find about Belkar's "development" and V's "undevelopment". I mean, if they ask V about the souls some more. I don't know what cover could V have, because unlike Jephton, V is not a sorecer(ess?). Ohh, I can't wait to see what's next! :smallbiggrin:

Dagren
2009-04-19, 11:24 AM
heheheheh, V is learning an important lesson: not all problems can be solved by magic, she ends up being completely useless in fixing everything, I mean at least
she thought that she could reunite everyone but then elan and durkon walk in, and now suddenly V has no reason to use her power.That isn't the lesson. It's either that not all problems can be solved only by magic, or maybe that not all problems must be solved by magic, but as you've written it it is incorrect. That is what V needs to learn, that there are other ways than magic to go about things. (Although as has been pointed out, while Elan and Durkon both gave V grief about her obsession, neither of them had any better ideas, making the implication that they were right and she was wrong seem a little forced)
though I still think it would also be funny if:

:vaarsuvius: The Order of the Stick shall now be reunited! *casts greater teleport*

:elan: and :durkon: teleport in from the greater teleport.

:elan: HALEY!!!

:vaarsuvius: at last the Order of the Stick is reunited! My power has not failed me! I fixed all that I can!

:durkon: uuuuumm.........V......

:vaarsuvius: shush! I have finally used my ultimate arcane power to fix it all! I finally rectified the situation! rejoice! let us resurrect Mr. Greenhilt!

:durkon: V!

:vaarsuvius: yes, what is it, dwarf? why aren't you resurrecting Sir Greenhilt?

:durkon: we were right outside the door, about to come in, you could have
just wait two seconds and we would have walked in and you wouldn't have had to waste a spell slot.

:vaarsuvius:.........................NOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!Funny, sure, but teleport spells don't work like that, what you just described wold be a summoning effect or something.

Cleverdan22
2009-04-19, 11:47 AM
At last, all the members of the Order of the Stick are together in one panel. They haven't been this way since the middle of the Azure city war; like two hundred comics ago: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0424.html
This page gave me a great feeling.

wootage
2009-04-19, 11:51 AM
And the next song to be used as a comic title is...

"On the road again.."

I personally can't wait :)

The Blackbird
2009-04-19, 11:52 AM
Order of the Stick is back! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbv6oeY8PTc)

My bet is Roy returns next strip.

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-04-19, 11:54 AM
Heh, Ganoron and Jephton having to bluff their way out.

The Order is finally all back together! ...Well, almost!

ArcaneSatyr
2009-04-19, 12:01 PM
Good lord, i am SO flippin excited about the comics from here on out. I really hope roy returns in the flesh in the next few panels. :smallbiggrin:

Ikialev
2009-04-19, 12:08 PM
Hey, they are not bluffing.

And smiling Ganondorf is cute.

And from when This Dwarf Whose Name I Do Not Remember, Maybe Because He Is So Easily Forgettable says hello with an u?

MReav
2009-04-19, 12:12 PM
I wonder if V notices the conversation that his attached souls are talking to someone?

Aaron
2009-04-19, 12:16 PM
Ya this comic was great. When Elan and Haley were reunited, I actually felt like the world had finally stopped bleeding.:smallsmile: But insanity is still on with V's failure of arcane might once again.:smallamused: And how will Roy scold V when he gets his body back?:smallconfused:

You took the words right out of my mouth. I knew that Elan and Durkon would show up right behind V. Once again, V just should have released the splice after killing the ABD. V has been taken down another peg!:smallbiggrin:

So V, now that the OOTS has been reunited, you're going to let go of the splice right?:smallsmile:...:smallannoyed:...RIGHT!!!

Kaytara
2009-04-19, 12:20 PM
I'm somewhat dreading the next few comics, to be honest. V is now even more frustrated than before, with another straw added to the camel's back, and he still has two thirds of the Splice, too... I don't really see any way there can NOT be a confrontation between Vaarsuvius and the rest of the party and it may end up looking quite messy.

Killer Angel
2009-04-19, 12:51 PM
Poor V., it must be very frustrating for him.
Anyway, i'm happy to see the Order reunited. (and great Jephton! I don't want even think to the bluff modifier of an epic sorcerer... :smallwink:)

DSCrankshaw
2009-04-19, 01:13 PM
Unless Durkon has a scroll of True Resurrection, I wonder how Roy will react to being 1-2 levels behind the rest of the party.

Belkster11
2009-04-19, 01:15 PM
Hey, they are not bluffing.

And smiling Ganondorf is cute.

And from when This Dwarf Whose Name I Do Not Remember, Maybe Because He Is So Easily Forgettable says hello with an u?

The dwarf is Durkon.

Durkon has an accent, and this may be the first time he said "Hullo".

Oh, and it's Ganoron.

bluewind95
2009-04-19, 01:23 PM
Can we have normal V back now? :smallfrown:

Kaytara
2009-04-19, 01:30 PM
The dwarf is Durkon.

Durkon has an accent, and this may be the first time he said "Hullo".

Oh, and it's Ganoron.

Gononron, actually. XD

hajo
2009-04-19, 01:38 PM
Ha. V shoved away from the forefront. Again.
"My magical energy is nigh unstoppable" - except for "mission already accomplished" :smallbiggrin:

LordSintax
2009-04-19, 01:49 PM
Heh. Karma can be a bugger sometimes... huh, V?

CrimsonAngel
2009-04-19, 01:54 PM
They're heeeeeere. :smalltongue:

Enlong
2009-04-19, 02:09 PM
Man, when Belkar is telling you to get a grip, you know you've got problems.

Lerky
2009-04-19, 02:12 PM
Vaarsuvius will kill them all! Ending the Order of the Sick!
Technically anyone who think they're all together is jumping the gun, Roy's still dead:smallwink:

rgrekejin
2009-04-19, 02:19 PM
Gononron, actually. XD

Ganonron, actually.

factotum
2009-04-19, 02:23 PM
Unless Durkon has a scroll of True Resurrection, I wonder how Roy will react to being 1-2 levels behind the rest of the party.

That's assuming he was the same level as them to start with, but he possibly wasn't--Eugene said that Roy was the highest level PC on the field at Azure City back in #485. It's kind of hard to tell how high level a fighter is anyway, because they don't get obvious hints like castable spells!

David Argall
2009-04-19, 02:24 PM
I, for one, am hoping that the next strip will provide an explanation of how Durkon and Elan were apparently able to cross a huge distance in just a few days... Because really, the way it stands now is just both improbable and extremely unfair for Vaarsuvius.
Durkon and Elan moved at the speed of plot. Whether they were in the next room or the next continent, this was the moment for them to walk in, and so they did.
However, as noted, Wind Walk allows cleric and friends to move at 60 mph for about 13 hours a day in Durkon's case. No problem in getting there in 4 days max and with a little pushing, one day.

And yes, it is unfair for V, but that is what the current plot is all about.

What does a resurrected character remember of their experiences while dead?
Open to writer whim pretty much. The general game response is that they remember nothing, which is more convenient for the DM.
Now we do have the Oracle saying Roy won’t remember anything, which suggests Roy will forget, but there are ways around the Oracle’s statement and it is likely to be whatever is plot convenient.

Because I'm pretty sure Roy now has a very clear idea of what those two extra spirits are all about. Sure, 'subcontractors' was a decent bluff, but I think 'KILL! KILL!' was a dead giveaway.
It is likely best to assume that the voices are neither automatically heard nor not heard. The comments about saying nothing and remember how V’s family reacted are clearly something one would want to whisper. But it seems Roy fell for the bluff.

Well, it was Sunday Morning when few of us were expecting a comic. And it is a rather expected comic in which little in the way of new elements are introduced.

I'm somewhat dreading the next few comics, to be honest. V is now even more frustrated than before, with another straw added to the camel's back, and he still has two thirds of the Splice, too... I don't really see any way there can NOT be a confrontation between Vaarsuvius and the rest of the party and it may end up looking quite messy.
It could, but it is also possible for V to just gloss over the whole thing. She just says this is borrowed power he must pay for and they should hurry up and free Azure City or rush to the next gate.

Rakim Avishot
2009-04-19, 02:25 PM

Well, despite V's newfound awesomeness, he still can't raise the dead. Unless the necromancer returns, and then it would still not really be Roy.

Dagren
2009-04-19, 02:27 PM
That's assuming he was the same level as them to start with, but he possibly wasn't--Eugene said that Roy was the highest level PC on the field at Azure City back in #485. It's kind of hard to tell how high level a fighter is anyway, because they don't get obvious hints like castable spells!Maybe, but in context he was comparing Roy to Hinjo, wasn't he? I'm pretty sure I remember one comic with them all gaining a level together somewhere too.

Kaytara
2009-04-19, 02:53 PM
Ganonron, actually.

Heh, pwn'd. XD Weird, it really looked like an 'o' to me..... But I've been having that problem with the font earlier, too.

Teddy
2009-04-19, 03:03 PM
Nice to see the whole order united again. Subcontractors, and by some deffinitions it's true:smallamused:

Maybe, but in context he was comparing Roy to Hinjo, wasn't he? I'm pretty sure I remember one comic with them all gaining a level together somewhere too.

The comic you are refering to is #124 Ding! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0124.html) but that is no evidence for that Roy is at the same level as everyone else, just that he dinged a new level at the same time.

By the way, the comic you are discussing is #485 Hey! You! Get Off of My Cloud! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0485.html) where Eugene blames Roy for the fall of Azure City because he was the highes level good character in the battle.

kimana
2009-04-19, 03:14 PM

I'm sure this has been answered 1000 times already so far, but since I was going to post anyhow, have a video (http://www.imeem.com/people/DV7mR57/video/y_ZOMzSM/van-halen-feels-so-good-music-video/) (Disclaimer: If you, or whoever polices your internet, are offended by 80s "fashion," Van Halen's music, or album cover photos of the band, please do not watch this video. Thank you. :smallbiggrin: ) and lyrics (http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/v/van_halen/feels_so_good.html)for Feels So Good by Van Halen... The comic is so much better with that song playing in the background, not least of why being that it accentuates V's irritation! :smallamused:

I love the stick-figure heart and V's line about "You are largely irrelevant" and hey, I'm sure some RL outsourced subcontractors are "evil" after a fashion :smallwink:

Tharianor
2009-04-19, 03:37 PM
Once again The Giant outdoes himself!

After 200 strips the order is nearly together!Yuppy!
I liked this strip:
-V sayng "I have no feelings on wieving you. You are largerly irrelevant." end Haley agreeing with V

- Roy can see the souls (I imagined something like that, though I was expecting V able to see Roy)

-Karma (or more properly humor reasons:smallbiggrin:) against poor, poor V! By now every time V start a speech abaut Vir stratospheric power being able to fix what V befere coudn't do I will expect laughs!

- Haley and Elan together are sweet

- Belkar as the voice of reasons is hilarious!

Well my bottle of spumante is still ready, now to Roy resurrection!!

TuringTest
2009-04-19, 04:25 PM
After months of nothing, all the problems are just miraculously solved by themselves. Vaarsuvius is being thoroughly kicked around by fate for making what was essentially the right decision, given what he knew at the time. Not having a clue about Haley's Sending, Vaarsuvius was perfectly justified in believing that it WAS, in fact, up to him to fix this mess. That the other half of the team would finally be having a breakthrough was something he couldn't have counted on, nor should he have been counting on it.

That might very well be true from a rational point of view, V is making the logical decision according to what he knows.

But plotwise, he has gained a humongous amount of bad karma given the dreadfully epic evil act of familicide. So, as much as I like the elf, he has earned every bit of whatever may go bad to himself.

Rotipher
2009-04-19, 04:54 PM
Moreover, V's bad karma isn't just for accepting the fiends' deal. It's for vir having fallen so deeply into arrogance and insensitivity that ve ditched the faithful allies who had stood by vir for so long, and were just as determined to save the world as virself! If V hadn't deserted the Fleet, Mama Dragon wouldn't have made her move against the elf until some other circumstance left vir alone ... and, if the Wind Walk theory is correct, that wouldn't have happened until after the present reunion, as V could've simply waited for the Sending and then gone to Greysky City with Elan and Durkon. With the rest of the Order at vir side, V presumably wouldn't have lost that fight, as the other PCs retain most or all of their powers in an Anti-Magic Field.

But V was too convinced that ONLY arcane power could save the world, and disregarded the possibility that vir companions could also contribute to bringing the party back together. Which, as V is now forced to see, they've done without vir help -- indeed, without the use of any arcane magic whatsoever -- and more effectively than vir own spell research or Splicing. Accepting the Splice may have been no choice at all, while vir family was in danger, but deserting the party and vir mate were V's own bad decisions: decisions, which fickle fate is now vividly demonstrating to be wrong.

SoC175
2009-04-19, 05:13 PM
Hey now, someone's gotta destroy that golem...

V's gonna paste it.
Two words: Magic immunity

Might be the final event to push her over the edge when she fails to affect the bone golem with her ultimate arcane power

enarch3t
2009-04-19, 05:27 PM
Two words: Magic immunity

Might be the final event to push her over the edge when she fails to affect the bone golem with her ultimate arcane power

Simple solution summon some more powerful monster to crush it. Done and done.

The Pilgrim
2009-04-19, 05:35 PM

A Wizard did it.

Hrairoo
2009-04-19, 05:36 PM
Another great strip, giant! I must say, I too never saw roy's conversation coming.

Did anyone else find it curious that when v goes all evil eyed with his magic, that Haley was smiling and Belkar was frowning? I suppose for both of them, that that was their neutral face, but still, it looked weird in context.

Kudos to all you who have been predicting the reunion of the Order of the Stick.

Mr. Pin
2009-04-19, 05:43 PM
YAY! The order's back to-geeeether! the order's back To-geeether! :smallsmile:

*does a jig* :smallbiggrin:

and it won't be long 'fore Roy's back! :smalltongue:

Did Haley pay up to the thieves guild yet? is she going to?

snafu
2009-04-19, 06:07 PM
Vaarsuvius is being thoroughly kicked around by fate for making what was essentially the right decision, given what he knew at the time. Not having a clue about Haley's Sending, Vaarsuvius was perfectly justified in believing that it WAS, in fact, up to him to fix this mess. That the other half of the team would finally be having a breakthrough was something he couldn't have counted on, nor should he have been counting on it.

Counting on it? No, she shouldn't have counted on it. Assuming it will never happen and therefore flouncing off to solve everything solo? That, too, is foolish. In the days before mobile phones I'm sure we all managed to miss meetings with our friends, and then proceed to miss each other again and again as we went around in circles looking for each other. At the very least, V should have left a forwarding address so that she could be contacted in the event that Haley got in touch by her own efforts.

Personally, I thought it a pity she didn't think things through with the Animal Messenger spell. No message returned - implies something unfortunate has become of the messenger. How hard can it be to modify that spell so that in the event of the messenger's death, the wizard becomes aware of its last location? (No, really: I don't know the rules for researching new spells. In my best Clarkson impersonation - How hard _can_ it be?)

Then launch multiple messengers from separate locations (you're on a boat - you're moving anyway) and plot the positions at which they disappear. If the positions are substantially different, then you can map the area of the danger zone and learn something about what's in your way. If the positions are all about the same, then that's a dead giveaway. Job done.

edit: In fact, there's a simpler solution. No need to tweak the spell, just cast it twice from widely separate locations. The animals fly directly toward the recipient. So cast it once today, plot the bearing on which they fly. Cast it again tomorrow from a location some 200km from your previous position (assuming 5 knots, comparable to the speed of Zheng He's fleet), plot that bearing too. Where the two lines meet, that's where Haley is.

edit: Partially retracted. The Azurites may not have solved the longitude problem, so knowing your own location on a map will be difficult. Nonetheless, you should still be able to do a little trigonometry and determine that wherever you actually are, your target is n kilometres away at a bearing of t. You go there, and then repeat the exercise as needed to home in on the target. Once you're on land, you get on a horse and cast Animal Messenger on that, and enjoy the ride.

DougTheHead
2009-04-19, 06:09 PM
The lesson is less "magical power isn't needed to fix everything" and more "I, Vaarsuvius, am not needed to fix everything". It was, after all, the magical power of the Sending that fixed this problem, and the source of the problem itself - the Cloister - was likewise magical in nature.

But what bothers me a bit is that this "lesson" feels somewhat forced. That Haley finally succeeded - after months of silence, mind you - in contacting Durkon sometime during the relatively tiny time frame of Vaarsuvius sitting alone on an island is a pretty huge coincidence, as timing goes. After months of nothing, all the problems are just miraculously solved by themselves. Vaarsuvius is being thoroughly kicked around by fate for making what was essentially the right decision, given what he knew at the time. Not having a clue about Haley's Sending, Vaarsuvius was perfectly justified in believing that it WAS, in fact, up to him to fix this mess. That the other half of the team would finally be having a breakthrough was something he couldn't have counted on, nor should he have been counting on it.

True, but when the statement is, "Arcane Power alone is needed to fix everything," it only requires one counterexample to disprove, no matter how unlikely the scenario is.

Lord Seth
2009-04-19, 06:22 PM
After 150+ comics full of stalling, detours, wacky wayside tribes, and other such annoying filler, we're *finally* actually getting somewhere. Woohoo!

Saint Nil
2009-04-19, 06:52 PM
I wonder how Roy will react to KILL! KILL!.:smalltongue:

TBone
2009-04-19, 06:53 PM
Thank you Rich. they are finally back together. now lets get this show on the road!

X2
2009-04-19, 06:54 PM
That was abrupt :smalleek:.

Don't get me wrong I love that they're back together finally but seriously 3 comics ago we we're in the thick of it.

Fermatprime
2009-04-19, 07:07 PM
I registered just to say that Haley and Elan finally back together made me go "Awwwwwww."

And I wondered how long it'd been since we'd seen all the Order in one panel, but SPoD got there, like, way first.

Morgan Wick
2009-04-19, 07:29 PM
Wow, Rich is wrapping things up quick. But it appears that at this point, the main reason the reunion last strip was anticlimactic, and the reunion this strip is restricted to two or three panels with the meat to come, is that the real important part is V's descent into madness.

(Side note: Haley says "I thought you were..." while Elan kept saying "She is NOT dead". Evidently Elan had more faith in Haley than the other way around.)

For a THIRD time, a potential splice-splitting moment happens in the last panel when it can't actually do anything! I'm starting to become convinced V has at least one more teleport still to come, epic or no, and if it weren't for that she'd have lost a splice by now. Interesting to see whether or not Durkon and Elan notice anything, but I doubt it, because I now suspect Haley's lack of suspicion is a plot point that needs to be sustained to the point it becomes important. (Either are probably more likely to notice something than Haley or Celia, though, for different reasons.) The only OOTS members who suspect anything need to be Belkar (who doesn't mind) and Roy.
Could V teleport the OOTS directly to Girard's Gate to end the OOTS' contribution to the book - or perhaps back to the fleet or Azure City to fill out the 20-strip slowdown? Roy could be resigned to the ends justifying the means, or just be mollified enough by Jephton's bluff not to suspect V's true nature. Imagine the OOTS teleporting into Azure City only to find Xykon and Co. are gone and the Resistance has set up an ersatz government, which ends up the last straw for V to lose a splice and strands the OOTS in Azure City, thus giving Xykon a dangerously large head start on Girard's Gate. The chances at least one splice survives into the next book now appear to be rather large again.

Aw, no "you cut your hair" comment from Elan? Maybe it'll be a side comment in the next strip...

JonahFalcon
2009-04-19, 07:29 PM
The title has nothing to do with Van Halen. It's a reference to "Reunited and it Feels So Good".

FoE
2009-04-19, 08:15 PM
She hopped right into his arms.

AWWWWWWWW.

holywhippet
2009-04-19, 08:20 PM

Durkon, and possibly Elan, can cast plane shift. If he cast it twice he could get them to somewhere within 100 miles of Greysky city. There are other spells that they could have used to speed up their journey also.

Ridureyu
2009-04-19, 08:44 PM

LOL! I can see it now:

Roy: "So, V, about those other people shackled to your consciousness...let's talk about that."

V: "DISINTEGRATE!"

V: "Durkon, Roy fell down the stairs and... turned to dust. Please resurrect him again. I shall procure the diamonds."

That would be a pretty funny throwaway gag comic.

Haven
2009-04-19, 08:47 PM
I wonder if next comic is gonna be a call back.

"Sweet spell, V! You brought back Elan and Durkon!"

"But...I did not cast my spell yet."

and possibly Elan, can cast plane shift.

what

Starwaster
2009-04-19, 08:48 PM
Yayyy! The Order is all here! (almost)

Wait... where's #647? Rich! RICH!!! It's been 16 hours!! OMG my fix! I need my fix! The suspense.... killing me.... can't.... stand it... anymore!!!!!
:smalleek: :eek: :smalleek: :eek: :smalleek: :eek: :smalleek: :eek: :smalleek:

Lawst
2009-04-19, 08:48 PM
Someone earlier on in this thread asked how much the dead remember when returned to life. I guess we probably can't answer that for sure in this campaign world. Horace Greenhilt said back in strip 600 that Roy should spend a feat on the technique he had just taught roy in clestia. So that suggests Roy can remember the afterlife.. which might also include everything he heard from the Oracle.

I checked P171 of the 3.5 edition Players Handbook, it doesn't say anything one way or the other about if the dead remember their experiences after being resurrected.

Does anyone know of anything in any other source books that speak on this topic ?

They mention it briefly in the Manual of the Planes (3.*). They give a bunch of different scenarios, but it basically states that it is completely up to the DM and how s/he wants to handle it.

Sequinox
2009-04-19, 09:15 PM
Yes! DURKON IS WITH ROY'S CORPSE! ELAN AND HALEY GOT TOGETHER! THE ORDER IS ALMOST REUNITED!
Rereading it, that first line turns out sounding really bad... Well, you know what I mean by it.
Second line to increase chance of this being noticed...
Finally. I mean, this plotline was great and all, but now that everyone's back together, it seems so much better... I'm happy. I just wish this was met with more fanfare so I didn't click on it thinking it was just another comic. And yeah, just ignore all the other problems and enjoy this for a second.

kimana
2009-04-19, 09:20 PM
The title has nothing to do with Van Halen. It's a reference to "Reunited and it Feels So Good".
I refuse to let logic get in the way of my crazy theories! :smallconfused:
*listens to it while rereading the comic*
Nice song, fits the kiss scene well, and would probably drive the soul splices to wanting to KILL something (and the title fits!)
Now I hear parts to Feels So Good and parts to Reunited when I reread it, which is a very odd combination indeed!:smalltongue:

JMobius
2009-04-19, 09:23 PM
While glad that the Order is finally reunited, I'm disappointed for one reason: Durkon never got to be the focus of a story during the separation. He's the only member of the OOTS that didn't get some real character development in the interval. :smallfrown:

DSCrankshaw
2009-04-19, 09:30 PM
The comic you are refering to is #124 Ding! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0124.html) but that is no evidence for that Roy is at the same level as everyone else, just that he dinged a new level at the same time.

By the way, the comic you are discussing is #485 Hey! You! Get Off of My Cloud! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0485.html) where Eugene blames Roy for the fall of Azure City because he was the highes level good character in the battle.
Well, Elan does seem to think that they're all the same level (or at least all have the same amount of XP, which is the same thing in 3.5), in 124. But I admit that it is Elan. Eugene does say Roy was the highest level good character on the field, but I always interpreted that as saying there was no one higher, not necessarily that there was no one of the same level (any of which who were were under his command). Maybe that's a bit of a stretch, though, so I'm willing to wait and see, but I think it'll be more fun if Roy starts out a couple of levels behind. Imagine his embarassment if he has a lower BAB than, say, Elan? Not that that will work. Even if Dashing Swordsman's a full BAB class, Bard's 3/4, so Elan would have to be Bard 12/Dashing Swordsman 3 to just be caught up with Roy's Fighter 12 (knocked down 1 from 13, the Order's apparent level during the Azure City battle), and while I can see the party being 2 levels beyond Roy, I don't see 3. Of course, V's already skewing everyone being on the same relative power level, what with epic magic at his command.

Anyway, moving on, I almost expected Elan not to recognize Haley with her hair like that. There would have been some good humor there, but it also would have hurt Haley, so I'm glad that didn't happen.

JaxGaret
2009-04-19, 09:57 PM
"I have no feelings on viewing you. You are largely irrelevant."

I think I like this guy.

Tova
2009-04-19, 10:10 PM

My favoured explanation: The Rule of Funny.

magic9mushroom
2009-04-19, 10:17 PM
"I have no feelings on viewing you. You are largely irrelevant."

I think I like this guy.

Darth V, and I think I preempted you.

holywhippet
2009-04-19, 10:20 PM
I don't think V entirely qualifies as evil at the moment. In terms of alignment I'd guess chaotic neutral at the moment. V did perform black dragoncide, but then followed it up by teleporting the Azure City refugees to a safe haven. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, but that is what V has at the moment.

holywhippet
2009-04-19, 10:48 PM
While glad that the Order is finally reunited, I'm disappointed for one reason: Durkon never got to be the focus of a story during the separation. He's the only member of the OOTS that didn't get some real character development in the interval. :smallfrown:

True, but he is now in a city where worshippers of Loki are known to dwell. Even if he doesn't run into his old fling, I don't think clerics of Loki get along with clerics of Thor.

derfenrirwolv
2009-04-19, 10:48 PM
Windwalk

You alter the substance of your body to a cloudlike vapor (as the gaseous form spell) and move through the air, possibly at great speed. You can take other creatures with you, each of which acts independently.

Normally, a wind walker flies at a speed of 10 feet with perfect maneuverability. If desired by the subject, a magical wind wafts a wind walker along at up to 600 feet per round (60 mph) with poor maneuverability. Wind walkers are not invisible but rather appear misty and translucent. If fully clothed in white, they are 80% likely to be mistaken for clouds, fog, vapors, or the like.

Durkon's cast heal before, which is the same level as this spell (6th)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/windWalk.htm

Spiky
2009-04-19, 10:55 PM
If you look outside and see leaves blowing around, it's probably the wind. K.I.S.S.

Kaytara
2009-04-19, 11:34 PM
But V was too convinced that ONLY arcane power could save the world, and disregarded the possibility that vir companions could also contribute to bringing the party back together. Which, as V is now forced to see, they've done without vir help -- indeed, without the use of any arcane magic whatsoever -- and more effectively than vir own spell research or Splicing.

Minor nitpick: The problem was solved with the use of magic, too. Sending is both a Cleric and a Wizard spell (same as Plane Shift, if that's what Durkon used, though I find it odd that he's never used it before, given V's usual inability to teleport), and in any case, differentiating between divine and arcane magic when so many spells are on both spell-lists seems arbitrary and academical.

So, as I said earlier, the lesson is less about magic in general and more about Vaarsuvius, personally, not being needed to save the day. It's not really V's spellcasting as much as V's obsession with needing to be the hero who saves the day that's being stepped on right now. But I suppose some contrived-ness is inevitable. Objectively, a relatively high-level spellcaster IS if not needed, then at least still a very good ace to have up your sleeve in most problems... so any plotline that shows the opposite (that the high-level spellcaster is, in fact, not needed AT ALL) would automatically rely on contrivances.

Bilbo27
2009-04-20, 09:32 PM
About time!! Let's get this "stick" back on the road!

NeonRonin
2009-04-20, 09:43 PM
Everybody clear the area; catastrophic elf explosion imminent. Have mops and towels on standby. :smalleek:

But seriously, it is good to see the crew more or less in the same place again. Now all we need is a moment to hit V with a horse tranquilizer, a quick Resurrection spell, and then we can party!

Doug Lampert
2009-04-20, 10:20 PM
That might very well be true from a rational point of view, V is making the logical decision according to what he knows.

But plotwise, he has gained a humongous amount of bad karma given the dreadfully epic evil act of familicide. So, as much as I like the elf, he has earned every bit of whatever may go bad to himself.
It's not even true from a rational point of view, and V did NOT make a logical decision according to what V knew.

Because one of the most important things V knows is that THEY ARE THE PCs! V has explained this to other characters, this is why they have only one random encounter. The world really does revolve around them, they can't really fail unless they do something stupid, they villian will never finish the ritual before they arive. And making a deal with a bunch of fiends who admit that they're out to destroy all that's good and holy and then holding onto fiendish power for even a second longer than is absolutely neccessary for the immediate problem is stupid because since the universe really does revolve arround you, your bad karma WILL override whatever you THOUGHT you could accomplish.

This was predicatable, that everything V does with the power for the benefit of the order and main plot will be ineffectual AT BEST, and outright harmful at worst. And that was predicatable using only information available to V throughout the entire time.

ref
2009-04-20, 10:35 PM
Everyone is on and on about why would a modron be in Pandemonium?

There is no modron! It's a lie told by the subcontractor souls! Why does everyone try to know where he is and why he would we helping a chaotic plane?

BlueWizard
2009-04-20, 10:38 PM
Yaaaay!!!! Finally!

Now we just need Roy whole again....

Kaytara
2009-04-21, 12:47 AM
It's not even true from a rational point of view, and V did NOT make a logical decision according to what V knew.

Because one of the most important things V knows is that THEY ARE THE PCs! V has explained this to other characters, this is why they have only one random encounter. The world really does revolve around them, they can't really fail unless they do something stupid, they villian will never finish the ritual before they arive. And making a deal with a bunch of fiends who admit that they're out to destroy all that's good and holy and then holding onto fiendish power for even a second longer than is absolutely neccessary for the immediate problem is stupid because since the universe really does revolve arround you, your bad karma WILL override whatever you THOUGHT you could accomplish.

This was predicatable, that everything V does with the power for the benefit of the order and main plot will be ineffectual AT BEST, and outright harmful at worst. And that was predicatable using only information available to V throughout the entire time.

I have to disagree, for several reasons.
1) There is no dramatic rule that karma will prevent immediate objectives from being accomplished. It always comes back to bite the hero sometime later, yes, but having bad karma by itself does not equate to some kind of period of intense misfortune. Having the hero fail at what he set out to do is quite common, yes, but so is having the hero succeed at what he set out to do, and pay the consequences way later.
2) By this logic, Vaarsuvius shouldn't have been able to do ANY amount of good, since karma would have been foiling absolutely everything. But V was quite successful in saving his family before they were even killed and also helped out the Azure City fleet.
3) Since whatever influence this karma has isn't effective 100% of the time, Vaarsuvius definitely should have tried to exploit this power and accomplish whatever he could.
4) Even if it WERE effective 100% of the time, come on, relying on plot conventions to THAT extent, when SO MUCH is at stake, is somewhat ridiculous.
Haley: Wow.... So you had all that power and you didn't even TRY to find me and accomplish all those other things that would have really, really helped us?
V: I considered it, but I came to the conclusion that it would be useless, since the karmic residue from the means by which I obtained this power would render any attempt meaningless, anyway.
Haley: ...

dps
2009-04-21, 12:49 AM
Eugene does say Roy was the highest level good character on the field, but I always interpreted that as saying there was no one higher, not necessarily that there was no one of the same level (any of which who were were under his command).

I've always felt that there is no evidence that Eugene was correct when he made that statement. I'm not saying that he was wrong, just that we have no way of knowing if he was right.

Toxik
2009-04-21, 12:50 AM
I need to know!

I saw that square before! I'm sure of that. They were talking about planes I belive.

Any idea of the number of the panel?:smallbiggrin:

Selene
2009-04-21, 01:27 AM
(Side note: Haley says "I thought you were..." while Elan kept saying "She is NOT dead". Evidently Elan had more faith in Haley than the other way around.)

No, it's just that Elan is an optimist, and Haley is a pessimist. He already knows he's getting a happy ending, and he also knows that can't happen without Haley. But from her low self esteem point of view, Elan surviving is just too much happiness for her to expect.

Minor nitpick: The problem was solved with the use of magic, too. Sending is both a Cleric and a Wizard spell (same as Plane Shift, if that's what Durkon used, though I find it odd that he's never used it before, given V's usual inability to teleport), and in any case, differentiating between divine and arcane magic when so many spells are on both spell-lists seems arbitrary and academical.

It's not at all arbitrary. It's the whole point. "How will I get ultimate arcane power?" V thinks arcane power can, will, and must solve everything. V basically called Durkon and his considerable divine power useless and distracting when he flew out on them.

4) Even if it WERE effective 100% of the time, come on, relying on plot conventions to THAT extent, when SO MUCH is at stake, is somewhat ridiculous.

Except for the part where relying on plot conventions has worked for them every single time without fail.

factotum
2009-04-21, 01:51 AM
I've always felt that there is no evidence that Eugene was correct when he made that statement. I'm not saying that he was wrong, just that we have no way of knowing if he was right.

On the other hand, we have absolutely no evidence he was WRONG, either. It's very difficult to tell how high level a fighter is because he doesn't cast spells or anything like that, so it's not impossible that Roy was 14th level during the battle while everyone else was 13th. Of course, we don't know how much everyone else has levelled since then--Belkar has pinged at least once, but then immediately lost the level to a Wight and we don't know if he made his save to regain it 24 hours later.

Selene
2009-04-21, 02:12 AM
I need to know!

I saw that square before! I'm sure of that. They were talking about planes I belive.

Any idea of the number of the panel?:smallbiggrin:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0068.html

Elan's shoulder.. erm... law guy.

David Argall
2009-04-21, 02:54 AM
No, it's just that Elan is an optimist, and Haley is a pessimist. He already knows he's getting a happy ending, and he also knows that can't happen without Haley. But from her low self esteem point of view, Elan surviving is just too much happiness for her to expect.
Of course, if we are simply realistic, just how long would you expect Elan to survive without somebody to hold his hand? Roy and Haley are not around to protect him. Ignoring the dramatic convention that [often, but not always] protects the comic relief, the idea of Elan surviving is a bit of a stretch.

Except for the part where relying on plot conventions has worked for them every single time without fail.
Plot conventions have also worked against them, as V is now suffering, and Therkla did a bit earlier. And our writer has not always followed plot conventions.

factotum
2009-04-21, 03:50 AM
Of course, if we are simply realistic, just how long would you expect Elan to survive without somebody to hold his hand? Roy and Haley are not around to protect him. Ignoring the dramatic convention that [often, but not always] protects the comic relief, the idea of Elan surviving is a bit of a stretch.

To be fair, Elan survived quite happily for some considerable time before the Order was ever founded, and Haley knew that the ship he was on got away from the city alright; she also knew that Durkon and Hinjo were with him to keep him on the straight and narrow.

HandofShadows
2009-04-21, 04:33 AM
Another good page and more proof that the world exists to drive V crazy.

You know I had a really horriable idea of what could happen when they res Roy. One (or both) of the V's "subcontractors" rakes over Roy's body. :smalleek: We already know they want their freedom and that they will be able to do stuff if they get a body.

greywords
2009-04-21, 04:55 AM
Actually... those souls shouting "KILL!" is sure to tip Roy off.

I'm not convinced he can hear everything they say - some of it might be telepathically delivered or similar.

Volkov
2009-04-21, 07:54 AM
It looks like the order gets one new member. How long Celia stays is another story. I bet whatever magic Item Xykon was making is done by now, and that at least Redcloak and Tsusiko gained a level or two.

banjo1985
2009-04-21, 09:51 AM
And so the order are together again, thrust together in a rather convenient manner, but still, I think that was the point.

Personally I want to see Belkar play the incumbent Roy's ribcage like a xylophone...take that as you will. :smalleek:

Wolfram
2009-04-21, 11:10 AM
Ironically, just before reading this strip, I saw the latest (at least on BBC America) ep of 'Ashes to Ashes' and guess what song (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reunited_(song)) was featured?

B.I.T.T.
2009-04-21, 11:38 AM
...and they said it might never happen! The Order of the Stick finally reunites...mostly. I mean Roy's still dead, but he's there in spirit and in golum-possesed corpse. So that's like 95 to 99% reunited.

Edit: WooHOO! Top of page 7! I rule.

Zanaril
2009-04-21, 12:40 PM
It looks like the order gets one new member. How long Celia stays is another story.

Three new members, actually, although the rest won't know it. Assuming V stays soul spliced of course.

If anyone else wondering if the Fiends are still watching V?

Code Black
2009-04-21, 01:26 PM
Haley and Elan, finally reunited. The gang is back together. Everything seems right...

I'm still anxious though, since V seems to be close to a meltdown, and that could turn everything upside down: nothing compliments false hope like sudden turmoil, and, since everyone seems so cheerful right now, it seems inevitable. It's not over yet, it just looks that way.

whitemane
2009-04-21, 01:42 PM
I have to admit... I'm really starting to feel sorry for V... I mean, s/he leased her soul to get all these really cool powers, and s/he isn't getting the chance to use them in front of hir friends! That's gotta be frustrating, especially given the high cost of acquiring them!

The fact that every second s/he maintains the sould bind is another second that her soul will be used by the inhabitants of the various planes in the ventral position has to make it even more frustrating!

whitemane
2009-04-21, 01:43 PM
Three new members, actually, although the rest won't know it. Assuming V stays soul spliced of course.

Four members... Don't forget Mr. Scruffy!

Volkov
2009-04-21, 01:51 PM

The other two are only there in spirit. Quite literally.

Zanaril
2009-04-21, 02:03 PM
Four members... Don't forget Mr. Scruffy!

Thank you for reminding me.

Where is Mr. Scruffy, anyway?

The other two are only there in spirit. Quite literally.

It's the literally bit that counts.

David Argall
2009-04-21, 02:09 PM

V won't. Those splices are just too powerful. She can likely cast Teleport all hobgoblins back to their mountain city and a quickened destroy lich in one round. The story is simply over if he keeps those powers at all long.

For the opposite reason, Celia won't stay around either. She is a non-combatant and the party will be going into battle. So she is staying back.

Joerg
2009-04-21, 02:35 PM
V should try saying something like "witness as I use my ultimate powers to end the threat of the lich and the goblin forever" :smallwink:

No, it didn't. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0454.html)

Rotipher
2009-04-21, 07:37 PM
Where is Mr. Scruffy, anyway?

Off somewhere eating Blackwing the raven, probably. :smallwink:

Unless, of course, V's acquisition of the Spliced souls' powers also boosted vir familiar's abilities. In which case, it could be the other way around.

HoodedCrow
2009-04-21, 08:06 PM
V should try saying something like "witness as I use my ultimate powers to end the threat of the lich and the goblin forever" :smallwink:

Yeah but knowing her luck so far the Lich will just walk right in and everyone else will die..... except Belkar cause he is awesome.

Red XIV
2009-04-21, 08:40 PM
Agreed. I wonder if he will tell Belkar about his "before-the-year-ends-last-breath" as the oracle said. After all, memory charm didn't effect Roy in his current form... I don't wish to think how will Belkar react to that.
Given his current method of faking character development...I could see Belkar, if he knows he's about to die anyway, doing a fake heroic sacrifice to try and con the gods into giving him a nicer afterlife.

DSCrankshaw
2009-04-21, 09:37 PM
Well, considering how little luck V's had recently, I wouldn't be surprise if he whipped out the epic level magic in order to destroy the bone golem. I bet he has something that ignores the usual immunity (it only applies to spells which allow spell resistance), but it may not leave enough behind for a resurrection.

brionl
2009-04-21, 10:47 PM
Well, it looks like, at long last, we are finally going to

Get On With It! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KexudBb_oc)

p.s. The "square guy" is a Modron, from Mechanus the Lawful Neutral plane. He was in Pandemonium, the Chaotic Neutral plane, because they subcontracted their customer service to them.

whitemane
2009-04-21, 10:55 PM
Off somewhere eating Blackwing the raven, probably. :smallwink:

Unless, of course, V's acquisition of the Spliced souls' powers also boosted vir familiar's abilities. In which case, it could be the other way around.

Don't be silly... No matter how much Blackwing has been buffed, he still couldn't take the Scruffster!!!

Kareasint
2009-04-21, 10:57 PM
The "square guy" is a Modron, from Mechanus the Lawful Neutral plane. He was in Pandemonium, the Chaotic Neutral plane, because they subcontracted their customer service to them.

Actually, The joke probably was that Mechanus is on the other side of the alignment spectrum from Pandemonium. Sort of like some companies in the U.S. outsourcing their customer service call centers to India.

Kaytara
2009-04-22, 12:41 AM
It's not at all arbitrary. It's the whole point. "How will I get ultimate arcane power?" V thinks arcane power can, will, and must solve everything. V basically called Durkon and his considerable divine power useless and distracting when he flew out on them.
Every time Vaarsuvius gets stepped on during the last few comics, it's always in the middle of some form of "Witness as I, Vaarsuvius, will finally overcome this obstacle". He fixates on the "witness as arcane power triumphs!" bit as well, but not nearly as much as he does on the fact that it will be HIS accomplishment. So I still think it's at least equally V's need to prove himself and not just his magic that's at play here, not some picky discrimination between arcane and divine spells.

As others have noted, NOT without fail. Besides which, there are many different plot conventions and many of them contradict each other. For example, the convention in which the villain with good publicity walks away because the hero is too honourable to kill him in cold blood, versus the convention where the villain gets shot dead by the anti-hero as he tries to do just that. (Kubota, obviously.)

Likewise, as I mentioned earlier, there's the conflicting conventions of "Character makes a deal with the devil and pays the price a long way down the road" versus "Character makes a deal with the devil and the details of it immediately foil what he intended to accomplish".

Besides which, whether the success rate of relying on plot conventions has so far been 100% or 1%, it doesn't matter either way. By keeping the Splice, Vaarsuvius is hurting no one but himself in the far off future (as far as he knows, mind you, and our theories about the fiends notwithstanding). So in any decision to give up the power when he'll already be paying a certain amount, anyway, when he still has the chance to fix so many things.... Deciding to give up the Splice based on some prediction on how plot conventions work would sound like nothing more than an excuse for being selfish and cowardly.

Selene
2009-04-22, 02:39 AM

He left with a cleric who has resurrection power. I'd classify him as most likely to survive on those grounds.

Plot conventions have also worked against them, as V is now suffering, and Therkla did a bit earlier.

Yes, but the point is that the plot conventions were correct.

No, it didn't. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0454.html)

Haley's not the expert on dramatic convention. Elan never said that was what was supposed to happen.

As others have noted, NOT without fail.

The others' examples were wrong.

Deciding to give up the Splice based on some prediction on how plot conventions work would sound like nothing more than an excuse for being selfish and cowardly.

Which is just how V has been acting since they left Azure City.

Kaytara
2009-04-22, 10:40 AM
The others' examples were wrong.
My point that there are many conventions that contradict each other, making it foolish to rely on them, still stands, though.

Which is just how V has been acting since they left Azure City.
If that's the way you see it, fine, but personally I'm not seeing much in the way of evidence there. When I say cowardly, I mean it in the traditional sense of being afraid to put oneself in danger (such as by using the powers to take on Xykon). Being afraid of failure does not, IMHO, count as cowardice.
As for being selfish... I have yet to see Vaarsuvius do anything that was motivated primarily by selfishness, instead of merely also by it, and even the latter is often a stretch that relies on interpretation.

And even assuming for sake of argument that it's the case, so what? You want Vaarsuvius to keep acting selfishly and cowardly? I fail to see how this reflects on the dilemma of releasing the Splice versus keeping it.

Selene
2009-04-23, 12:17 AM
If that's the way you see it, fine, but personally I'm not seeing much in the way of evidence there.

Given the "woe is V" theme running though all your posts recently, I sort of figured that out for myself.

Kaytara
2009-04-23, 12:41 AM
Given the "woe is V" theme running though all your posts recently, I sort of figured that out for myself.

"Woe is V"? You make it sound as if being able to feel sympathy for a character's suffering (even though it was in part brought about by that character's mistakes) is a bad thing.

And for that matter, I suppose you disagree with the position that V's situation wouldn't be a fraction as bad were he not suffering from really, really bad luck?

David Argall
2009-04-23, 06:03 PM
He left with a cleric who has resurrection power. I'd classify him as most likely to survive on those grounds.
Well, obviously not more likely than the cleric. But we see Elan routinely getting in situations where Resurrection would not be enough. So Haley is just being sensible in fearing an Elan out of her sight is quite possibly a dead Elan.

Haley's not the expert on dramatic convention. Elan never said that was what was supposed to happen.
Elan is not our sole expert on the point. If he was, we would have very few dramatic conventions in the comic and thus "all" becomes a meaningless word.
And expert or not, Haley is correct. The dramatic convention is that Haley hits such a shot, as she did with Nale in the dungeon.