PDA

View Full Version : Attractiveness

Fiery Diamond
2009-04-19, 03:38 PM
Attractiveness is an odd thing, which is not ever fully understood by anyone, regardless of what some people claim. While there are certain stereotypes of "what is attractive" within cultures, it can hardly be said that all people within those cultures actually agree with those standards. There are many theories about why individuals find members of their preferred gender attractive the way they do, but reality shows that none of these theories is true for everyone. It's certainly a mystery why we find particular characteristics attractive.

This holds true both for physical attractiveness and other forms of attractiveness. It seems easier for us to explain the variety of things found attractive in terms of personality because we all have such complex and diverse personalities and preferences. However, there does not appear to be much rhyme or reason to what is found physically attractive. Strangely enough, there do appear to be traits commonly found attractive, yet there are some individuals who find those traits to be unattractive, and the lack or opposite of those traits attractive instead.

I personally have found myself to not find many of the stereotypically physically attractive traits attractive in girls. Others have thought me odd in this. For example, I think that tight or extremely form-fitting clothing is unsightly and do not find a large chest or wide hips to be appealing. I think that a build that does not emphasize those areas and clothing that does not emphasize those areas are much more attractive. Furthermore, when assessing someone's attractiveness, my main focus is on the face, rather than any other part of the body.

Of course, like any decent human being, I think that the personality of an individual is infinitely more important than the person's physical appearance. I have rather varied likes when it comes to personality types, most of which cannot coexist in the same person very easily, such as shyness and tomboyishness (of the two, I find the latter more appealing, though). However, most important in what I find attractive are the virtues of the individual, such as kindness, honesty, compassion, integrity, intelligence, capacity for humor, wit, and so forth.

Because I really do not have a life, I find myself becoming a fanboy of some of the girls in video games, movies, books, anime, and manga that meet my standards of attractive in at least some ways. Some examples of personality: Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia), Tatsuki (Bleach), Kisara "Valkyrie" (History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi), Shigure (same). Some examples of appearance: Tatsuki, Kisara, Rita (Tales of Vesperia). I wish I could give some real life examples, but I'm a loser.

----

So, what about the rest of you playgrounders? What do you have to say on the strange topic of attractiveness (both physical and non-physical)? What do you find attractive? What do you think about the merit or lack thereof of cultural stereotypes? Remember, keep this discussion as nicely worded as possible, avoiding any phrasing or wording that could be seen as obscene or insulting. If I can keep this opening post free of insults or dirty images, so can you, even if you find the opposite things attractive.

Let's begin!

snoopy13a
2009-04-19, 03:58 PM
Symmetry of the face is correlated with physical attractiveness. Additionally, features such as wide hips in women are viewed as attractive by men throughout the world (wide hips means the women can give birth easier.). Preferred waist size of women differs slightly based on culture. Cultures where food is scarce prefer slightly bigger waists than cultures where food is plentiful.

Trog
2009-04-19, 04:09 PM
On Personality:
I find I tend to be attracted to extroverted women a little more than introverts. Or rather I should say that I have ended up dating more extroverts than introverts.

Also, appreciation of things geeky and/or having some geeky hobbies I like because usually it means that she is more open and understanding about my own hobbies. I have dated both extremes in that regard.

Beyond that I don't really have a specific checklist of personality traits I want a girl to have (though sense of humor is pretty important I feel - I like someone I can joke around with) but I do have a couple that are strikes in my book just based on my own experience.

On Physical:
I need to find the girl attractive if I am going to consider dating her. That being said I have a fairly broad range of features I find attractive. Though I tend to prefer pale skin, longer hair, and women that are shorter as a vague general rule.

Fiery Diamond
2009-04-19, 04:10 PM
Symmetry of the face is correlated with physical attractiveness. Additionally, features such as wide hips in women are viewed as attractive by men throughout the world (wide hips means the women can give birth easier.). Preferred waist size of women differs slightly based on culture. Cultures where food is scarce prefer slightly bigger waists than cultures where food is plentiful.

Does this signify what you believe to be the case about humans and males in general? Or is this something related to yourself? As I said, there are many theories about the reasons behind what we find attractive, particularly physically, but they do not hold true for everyone. For example, wide hips in women - this is one of the traits commonly taken to be attractive, and one of the most prominent theories is that it is a biologically based instinctual things because of furthering the species more easily. However, why we find attractive what we find attractive is still a mystery and this fails to explain it. I, for one, do not find wide hips to be attractive. I find that the "curves" that are generally considered attractive are not appealing to me. I actually find a figure that lacks such extreme curves to be more attractive.

Edit:

women that are shorter

Rather interesting. I again seem to be in a minority... many of those I have been attracted to have been short compared to me, but that's because I'm almost 6 feet and most girls where I grew up are shorter than 5'6''. I actually find that I'm more comfortable around girls closer to 5'6'', give or take a few inches. I find it easier to subconsciously see them as equals when they aren't too much shorter than me. I don't really get intimidated until they're within an inch or so of my height or taller.

Additionally, I have found that what I find physically attractive varies quite a bit, from blonde to brunette to black hair to red hair, from pale to Asian, from glasses-wearing to non-glasses-wearing. I do tend to find smoother facial features more attractive than sharp ones, however.

golentan
2009-04-19, 04:19 PM
On mental: It's odd, but the single trait I find most attractive is the ability to best me in certain categories that only make sense to me. Honesty that a persons prejudices and neuroses are exactly that is also important. Self acceptance is important. Kindness, understanding, and determination are also important. Intelligence is important insofar as it enables communication and correlates with these traits, but is not as big a deal as I thought it was a few years ago.

On physical: Oh, god. This is a can of worms for me. I think I will leave it be at that for the sake of my fellow playgrounders.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-04-19, 04:21 PM
In general, preferences are extremely varied from individual to individual. Both when it comes to looks OR personality. A symmetric face and a 2:3 waist to hip ratio are found uniformly attractive and physical deformities (acne, rashes, messed up bodies like having a hump or crooked limbs, etc) are found uniformly unattractive.

But other than that it's pretty much all up to the individual.

Me personally, I like shorter women with short hair and pronounced, innocent-looking eyes. Personality wise - either really nice or really flirty (bonus points if she's both). Extra bonus points for a sense of humour. Intelligence is nice but not really a requirement... Streetsmart airheads are cute in their own way. Dominant or control freak types are a big turn off for me... I believe in democracy.

golentan
2009-04-19, 04:32 PM
In general, preferences are extremely varied from individual to individual. Both when it comes to looks OR personality. A symmetric face and a 2:3 waist to hip ratio are found uniformly attractive and physical deformities (acne, rashes, messed up bodies like having a hump or crooked limbs, etc) are found uniformly unattractive.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

To seek: Symmetric face: Uncheck. 2:3 Waist to Hip Ratio: Uncheck.
To Avoid: Acne: Uncheck. Rashes: Uncheck. Hump: Uncheck. Crooked Limbs: Uncheck.

Congratulations, sir. You have managed to list all of these things that I do not care about as uniformly one way or the other. Well played.

Edit: Note. This is not to say these are not uniform traits for humans (though the hip to waist ratios I assume only apply to females?). Your mileage and species may vary.

THAC0
2009-04-19, 04:43 PM
Does this signify what you believe to be the case about humans and males in general? Or is this something related to yourself? As I said, there are many theories about the reasons behind what we find attractive, particularly physically, but they do not hold true for everyone. For example, wide hips in women - this is one of the traits commonly taken to be attractive, and one of the most prominent theories is that it is a biologically based instinctual things because of furthering the species more easily. However, why we find attractive what we find attractive is still a mystery and this fails to explain it. I, for one, do not find wide hips to be attractive. I find that the "curves" that are generally considered attractive are not appealing to me. I actually find a figure that lacks such extreme curves to be more attractive.

It's the results of several scientific studies, I believe. Your mileage may vary, but the traits the previous poster listed are things that are considered by MOST to be attractive across multiple cultures, including studies of infants who cannot yet have socialized beliefs on what should or shouldn't be attractive.

The Rose Dragon
2009-04-19, 05:11 PM
Meat. I like meaty women. And not just because I'm a cannibal*.

*I'm not really a cannibal.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-04-19, 05:21 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

To seek: Symmetric face: Uncheck. 2:3 Waist to Hip Ratio: Uncheck.
To Avoid: Acne: Uncheck. Rashes: Uncheck. Hump: Uncheck. Crooked Limbs: Uncheck.

Congratulations, sir. You have managed to list all of these things that I do not care about as uniformly one way or the other. Well played.
I don't want to know what your girlfriend looks like! :amused:

Sorry, just kidding, couldn't resist :smalltongue:

But yeah, there's a few dozen studies like that. For example, infants look longer at more attractive* faces than less attractive faces (after controlling for race/ethnicity/etc).
* - In studies like this random subjects are often asked to rate faces along the lines of "hot or not" and that's used to measure the face's overall attractiveness.

Sneak
2009-04-19, 05:22 PM
Does this signify what you believe to be the case about humans and males in general? Or is this something related to yourself? As I said, there are many theories about the reasons behind what we find attractive, particularly physically, but they do not hold true for everyone. For example, wide hips in women - this is one of the traits commonly taken to be attractive, and one of the most prominent theories is that it is a biologically based instinctual things because of furthering the species more easily. However, why we find attractive what we find attractive is still a mystery and this fails to explain it. I, for one, do not find wide hips to be attractive. I find that the "curves" that are generally considered attractive are not appealing to me. I actually find a figure that lacks such extreme curves to be more attractive..

IIRC, those two are both pretty generally agreed upon as being good ways to determine or measure "attractiveness." We will more often be attracted to people with such characteristics because we are biologically programmed to do so, as it were. That said, of course, that doesn't mean that everyone will find these characteristics appealing. Case in point being you.

What do I find attractive?

Physical characteristics:
-a pretty face (this is very important for me, but I can't really explain my criteria for having a pretty face...judged on a case by case basis)
-I generally prefer long-ish hair (or at least hair that is not very short)
-I also generally prefer either blonde or dark brown/black hair
-Not too heavy—I don't mean "stick," but I'm a pretty skinny guy myself, and I tend to go for girls with a body type closer to my own (except significantly less masculine :smalltongue:)

Other characteristics:
-sense of humor (if I can't make fun of someone, I can't even really be friends with them)
-nice (this is kind of a vague and ill-defined term, but...)
-pleasant voice, laugh, smile, etc.
-outgoing is good, but not necessary
-at least some degree of intelligence, capability, or knowledge, although not necessarily in the same field/s as my own
-idiosyncrasies and neuroses are definitely endearing, as long as they're minor. But maybe that's just the obsessive neurotic mess that is me looking for a companion.

Trog
2009-04-19, 05:26 PM
Rather interesting. I again seem to be in a minority... many of those I have been attracted to have been short compared to me, but that's because I'm almost 6 feet and most girls where I grew up are shorter than 5'6''. I actually find that I'm more comfortable around girls closer to 5'6'', give or take a few inches. I find it easier to subconsciously see them as equals when they aren't too much shorter than me. I don't really get intimidated until they're within an inch or so of my height or taller.
Well I'm 6'3" so "shorter" is a relative measure. 5'10" or below would be my preferred height. My preference doesn't have to do so much with intimidation or a woman's status or whatever... I just find their bodies to be of more pleasing proportion below that height. Again, just my own preference. Your mileage etc., etc.

Phae Nymna
2009-04-19, 06:14 PM
I want to know what drives homosexual attraction. This stuff is cool.

Starshade
2009-04-19, 06:27 PM
I know the waist/hip 3:2 is seen on as attractive for many guys, but i dont really find it any *that* special,for me its just within the spectrum of how a healthy women looks like.

If you count physical apperance only, my preference goes more in direction of Androgynous women, and the biggest turnoff possible is obesity.

Id think i'd say, physically, its something about a ok looking body (wheather slender, muscular, thin or 2:3 waist to hip or not), a good looking face, and personality.
Some of the girls ive liked earlier typically had a completely flat chest, relatively narrow hip, slender waist but quite little difference on hip/waist/chest, and same height, or even possibly taller. And short hair, and while an pretty face, quite a bit androgynous one. Typically dressing and acting a bit boyish too.

IE: The type of girls who americans think look like a lesbian. :smalltongue:

Personally a thing i find puzzling, is the thing the world got with boobies. The crazy plastic surgery craze to enlarge them for women seem for me crazy, for me personally, size of them, or if they is even of visible size, is irrelevant.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-04-19, 06:35 PM
I want to know what drives homosexual attraction. This stuff is cool.
As near as I can figure, there a few generalized algorithms people have hardwired:

- A person of "x" characteristics and sex is beautiful.
- I want to have sex with people I find beautiful.
- I like the biofeedback from the stimulation of genitalia.

Or put simply. It's a computer program that pretty much depends upon subjective standards of beauty. Some people have the second or third algorithm "broken" and are therefore asexual. Sexual contact is normally "icky" for these people, but that's completely separate from whether or not they find a person "beautiful" or "handsome."

I feel some of it is just a self-justified irrationality. Basically, "Women are beautiful because they are women." Definition of "woman" varies from person to person. We seem to have this need to "grade" people on how masculine or feminine they are and it's probably a largely arbitrary distinction.

Recaiden
2009-04-19, 06:43 PM
Physically, the shape of the upper body and the face. The shape of the face I'd say as being rounder, and the other parts I can't really tell.

In other characteristics I think a sense of humor is the most important.

@Starshade: I mainly agree. People enlarging their body parts generally look less attractive in my opinion.

Eldan
2009-04-19, 07:00 PM
Hmm. Thinking back to the girls I've had a crush on in the last ten or so years, the only unifying feature seems to be that I found their faces attractive. I can't find any personality trait or body shape they all had. And I can't even define why their faces were attractive. Bugger.

Oh, something extremely interesting to me, as a biologist, is the idea that humans check for immune system genes (MHC, for those who need to know), which are correlated to body odour.

snoopy13a
2009-04-19, 07:11 PM
Oh, something extremely interesting to me, as a biologist, is the idea that humans check for immune system genes (MHC, for those who need to know), which are correlated to body odour.

The body odor aspect could be be vestigal. The early papers that I've read on it used strict parameters like no deodorant, cologne, or perfume. In our normal lives we may not actually pick up these odors.

Anyway, those studies have some interesting aspects. Women tend to be attracted to odors that correspond to different immune system genes than them. This suggests that it may have originally been an anti-incest mechanism. When women are pregnant the preference of the odor changes to odors that correspond to their immune system genes. The hypothesis is that when pregnant, the women will seek care from her biological male relatives (father, brothers, etc).

What is very interesting is that birth control pills change hormones so that when a woman is on birth control, her hormones are similar to that of a pregnant woman. So a woman on birth control would be attracted to different odors than if she was not on birth control. So, if the woman stops birth control, she would no longer be attracted to her significant other's odor.

cycoris
2009-04-19, 07:16 PM
What? No girl posts? I must remedy this situation immediately.

Physically, I don't care that much, but if I were being picky I would go for guys taller than me (I'm 5'8"), with generally symmetrical faces, who are not significantly over- or under-weight (that is, look 'healthy' to me).

Mentally, I like someone who is at least my equal, can make fun and be made fun of, and someone who doesn't get upset when we disagree.

As far as personality goes, I cannot stand extraverts, and am attracted to logical people who don't discount emotions, but don't let them get in the way either.

Kaelaroth
2009-04-19, 07:16 PM
I distinctly recall watching a documentary where they explored attractiveness, and ruled that in both homosexual and heterosexual attraction, such things were caused by genetic compatibility: is your lover going to produce good children with you (no matter whether the pair can't actually conceive, whether due to gender or otherwise)? They then tried to prove it, and kinda didn't do so well, visually, though my science-y people said their results were fairly gewd. What did worry me slightly was an overtone that one is attracted to people who in some way remind them of their family, a sign that they're genetically similar. :smalleek:/:smallconfused:
So. *shrug*

On my part, I tend to like curly, or wavy, haired brunettes, who are physically bigger than me, ranging from average, to muscular, wiry, or chubby. I'm also into quirky types. *shrug*

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-04-19, 07:23 PM
I thought this article was very interesting:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/11/081106122409.htm

Unrelated to the article, I've always found people of mixed ethnic heritage to be particularly beautiful, both genders and all ages.

I also think there are different types of attractiveness. For example, if you asked me who I think the "hottest" actress is and who the "most beautiful" actress is, I would select two different women.

Personally what I find attractive in women is a look you might call "healthy." Athletic rather than runway-thin (though not overly-muscled). And while I can find many different complexions attractive, I don't like it when caucasian girls tan themselves (either sun or tanning booth) because all I can think of is skin cancer.

How Darwinian of me.

Hell Puppi
2009-04-19, 07:43 PM
On the thin side, taller than me, and slightly psychotic.

Collin152
2009-04-19, 07:49 PM
I also think there are different types of attractiveness. For example, if you asked me who I think the "hottest" actress is and who the "most beautiful" actress is, I would select two different women.

I reciprocate this basic philosophy, and one of these days plan to create a lengthy presentation based on my views in that respect.
First I must... "gather information".

Eldan
2009-04-19, 08:30 PM
Well, if we think of "hot" as sexually attractive, a lot of that would probably be more from behaviour than appearance.

Egiam
2009-04-19, 08:50 PM
OK... I admit I have not got around to reading this entire thread.... but I want to share something.

It is common knowledge that in most 1st world countries, slim wins. Hot= Skinny. Not exactly the case in other countries. Recently I have made friends with a group of refugees from Darfur, a region in Sudan. They explained that, in their culture, the larger are considered more fit for marriage.

GAH! Out of time. Maybe more detail later.

Destro_Yersul
2009-04-19, 09:06 PM
Oh. Hmm. Well, personality wise? I would tend to look for people with similar interests to me, and similar tastes in music and food, for what should be obvious reasons. A sense of humour is mandatory. In general, someone who is fun for me to be around, someone who won't care that I'm an extremely silly person, that sort of thing.

Physical is harder. I do tend to focus more on the face, but it's hard to say what exactly I like. Nothing too angular, I think. On body and face, I'm more the type of guy who likes soft curves. Oh, and dark-ish hair. Brown or auburn for the most part. Not a fan of black or blonde, though sandy blonde is fine.

Personality is most important.

Faulty
2009-04-19, 09:34 PM
Not much more to add about the scientific basis of the study of attractiveness. Though I did read in a magazine (Psychology Today maybe) that large breasts and blonde hair are often seen as attractive because it makes it easier to tell how old the woman is (large breasts sag, blonde hair shows age more than darker hair).

Of course, like any decent human being, I think that the personality of an individual is infinitely more important than the person's physical appearance.

Er... I certainly wouldn't say infinitely. I'd never date someone merely because I find them attractive, but on the other hand I'd never date someone I didn't find attractive either. When I find someone's personality appealing, I find them more physically attractive, but if, even after that, I don't find them appealing... I really could not do anything there. I'm too physical for that, I'd lose interest pretty quickly and would probably break-up with them upon finding someone equally nice personably but more attractive. Honestly, I don't think that's a bad thing... :smallconfused:

Physically, my tastes are hugely varied. The most important thing is the head (face, hair, etc.). Butterfaces don't exist for me, and a pretty face can make up for an otherwise plain body as far as physical attractiveness goes. I really like bangs like this:

http://bureaux.petitemort.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/catpower-vidnytimes.jpg

I find pronounced jawlines attractive. I like taller faces, rather than wider ones, and I find high cheekbones attractive. I like relatively thin noses, and dark eyes. Dark hair, brown or black, tends to be my preference as well. I prefer straight or wavy hair. I almost never find red hair or curly hair attractive. I tend to find caucasians more attractive as far as ethnicities, and have for some reason never found a black person attractive. Oddly, I've found many aesthetically appealing, but still not arousing.

Breasts are entirely subjective, really. Some small breasted girls (http://media.canada.com/133a26b3-7939-4ba4-b93e-0c570ecf1751/feist.jpg) are really attractive, and some large breasted (http://bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/gemma-atkinson-1.jpg) girls I find attractive. I think it depends on body type. Curvacious girls often look better with mid-to large breasts, and thinner girls the opposite.

I really like leggy girls, girls with long fingers, girls with round "bubble butts" to use an admitedly silly term. Girls around my size (5'8"), I tend to find more appealing.

It can be random though; I might like someone with a widely different than usual shape. Beauty comes in a lot of shapes, and I like life throwing different types at me.

Personality wise, it varies. One thing I hate is people who need to be saved from themselves. I don't waste time with people like that, I'm not a social worker. I also tend to prefer people with similar beliefs and sexual appetites.

THAC0
2009-04-19, 09:41 PM
Not much more to add about the scientific basis of the study of attractiveness. Though I did read in a magazine (Psychology Today maybe) that large breasts and blonde hair are often seen as attractive because it makes it easier to tell how old the woman is (large breasts sag, blonde hair shows age more than darker hair).

How does light hair show age more than dark hair? :smallconfused:

As far as age goes, where hair is concerned, gray hairs would be the indicator, and gray hair definitely shows better in darker hair than in lighter hair.

Faulty
2009-04-19, 09:45 PM
The article said that the color of blonde hair changes over time more than dark hair. Also, it shows signs of sickliness more.

Just saying what the article said.

Sequinox
2009-04-19, 10:02 PM
Physical:
Generally, I like anyone so long as they're under my height (and, being a teenager, I'm growing like 3 inches a year) but by the time I get to my max height (guessing 6' or 6'1") I'm guessing 5'8" and under. Both girls I've dated (well, 'gone out with,' at any rate...) have been 5'2", though... Brunettes/Darker. Pale skin. Yeah, I'm weird and don't fall into the standard blond/tan category. Slim (Slim meaning slightly thinner than normal. Anorexic thin is gross, though.)

Personality:
Well, they mostly share my interests, be smart (because stupid people annoy me, regardless of gender...), Like reading, writing is bonus points. The broader parts of personality, meaning, like, flirty to morbid, doesn't really matter much to me so long as they're not too flirty or too depressing. And obviously, they have to loyal. A sense of humor is nice, and being funny is bonus points. If they share my (bizarre) sense of humor, lotsa bonus points. Namely, puns.

Eh, there's more, but I've gotten the basics out.

Ishmael
2009-04-19, 10:03 PM
Haha...this is an issue I've spent much time pondering about.

I'm attracted to both men and women. In terms of pure physical appearance, I believe there's a strong similarity in the aesthetic of both genders. I'm attracted to beauty, simply. In men, for me, that translates into a slender, leanly muscled body, longish straight hair, and a somewhat more feminine face. Blue or gray eyes, with an upturned nose. Someone who's shorter than I am. In women, it's actually about the same, but from the opposite side. Lean muscles, slenderness, perhaps slightly longer hair, the same eyes. Shorter than me. The 'ideal' is about the same for both genders.

For reference, I think that Joe Brooks (http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p446/adibiase2/JoeBrooks.jpg) is perhaps the most attractive male I've ever seen. He's...ridiculously beautiful. And for women...I dunno. Some amalgamation of Jewel Staite, Natalie Portman, and Evangeline Lily.

As far as personality goes: I like strong-willed, intelligent, determined people. People with clear, bright eyes, who are passionate. I'm sort of attracted to people who are slightly emotionally vulnerable, for some reason. I'm highly attracted to purity. And youthfulness. And that's basically the same for men and women. I tend to like more masculine women (in terms of personality) and slightly more feminine men--though with an edge. Feminine in some ways, but strong and sharp too (of course, we're basing all of this on outdated gender stereotypes, forgive me).

Halna LeGavilk
2009-04-19, 10:15 PM
This is difficult. I kinda have a system:

Starts off with communication. Very important to me.

Does she like to talk? Does she like to listen? Will she text? Talk on the phone? Talk face to face? Is she interesting to talk to? Can she hold an intelligent conversation? Will she debate with me about controversial subjects without getting mad and/or shutting down?

Personality really DOESN'T matter to me- it's not that I'm shallow, it's just that I can deal with all different types of people.

Another thing is consistency- if we talk a lot at the start of a relationship, we should continue to talk a lot. Or with getting physical. If I get from 2nd base to 3rd in two days, I expect to get from 3rd to home in two days. I can do the same with months. The time itself does not matter to me, it's the consistency of that time.

I am actually very picky on phyisal attractivenes, but I can't quantify it, which bothers me. Like, I can find two girls with similar body structures and weights and hair colors in completely different levels of attractiveness. I've also found the same girl incredibly sexy one minute, then less than an hour later would have refused to touch her.

arguskos
2009-04-19, 10:21 PM
Physical:
Well, I COULD go on and on about the details, or I could link a picture that sums up everything perfectly: The Illusionist (http://ancesttral.deviantart.com/art/The-Illusionist-104053869). As for males, hmm. That's pretty hard, actually. That one guy Ishmael linked was pretty good though, so I'll just go with that. :smallwink: Really, if they're roughly my height (6'3"), fairly well-built (not rails, but not buses either), and taken care of (hygienically speaking that is), they're probably good in my book. I'm still getting my male preferences down though, so that's not all too precise.

Emotional:
I tend to base my attraction to people on the idea that if I can talk with them for 8 hours and not hate them afterwards, I can form a relationship with them. Given, that's hard to do, but hey, that's why it's important.

Katrascythe
2009-04-19, 10:35 PM
Dangit Argus, I think I'm screwed according to your standards... I'm too thin, I'm not over 6 ft, and I'm lucky if I find my pants in the morning whether I've already worn them or not.

I like people who don't lower my Int by association. I like symmetric faces with some facial hair (makes a guy look older). I'd rather a guy be a bit heavier than be thinner than I am.

For girls I'd like girls who are somewhat close to my height and who I don't feel like I can break in half. I am not a fan of strong features in women although I don't mind them at all in men.

zeratul
2009-04-19, 10:41 PM
Physically:
I love goth/metal girls in particular but emo/scene/punk girls all look good to me as well. Girls who wear leather are goodhaha (leather skirts for the win! >_>) fishnets win as well. I find girls outside of these descriptions attractive to but I'm always more drawn to these ones. Physically I like black hair, hair with weird colors, red hair (especially with blue eyes) in particular, brown hair also works. I find blondes attractive too but generally not as much so. Aside from that I like pale chicks but can go for people of most body types as long as they aren't way to skinny or fat.

Non physically:
People who are really random are good, witty, not overly judgey, intelligent, kind, accepting, funny, interested in mythology and or fantasy stuff, into swords and or video games and such. If they're into metal and or goth music that is a ginormous plus as I do talk about it a lot. Interestingly I seem to some how be drawn to people who are emotionally messed up although generally when I become attracted to them I do not know that they are, yet they turn out to be. I find this rather interesting.

Wolfbane
2009-04-19, 11:04 PM
Hmm...

Physical:
First, skin color or shade doesn't matter even though dark blue would be... intriguing. :smallwink:
I would have to go with no one that is under 5'4"(The taller, the better) because I have a sister who is shorter than me by quite a bit and I now associate girls shorter than that with her, which needless to say, is a turn off. No one that is too thin, I like girls who actually eat once in a while. So, girls who are average or just slightly over (its the curves :smallwink:). For hair, as long as you are not a complete platinum blond, you are fine. Chest size doesn't matter much to me, just not overly large. I know, I know, guys are probably going WHAT?!? A face is probably the second thing I look at, the first is jewelry to make sure she isn't taken. :smalltongue:

Mental:
Someone who is clever and witty. Has a good sense of humor and doesn't mind me going on odd tangents in conversations. Also, someone who has many of my interests. Not to mention someone who can also be random in a conversation. Plus, must have no fears of the outdoors and likes animals.

Pyrian
2009-04-19, 11:16 PM
I just wish there was a noticeable overlap between the people I'm attracted to and the people who're attracted to me. :smalltongue:

snoopy13a
2009-04-20, 09:56 PM

That's a bit interesting about the hair. Blonde hair does seem to be more attractive for most people. Generally, I'm not attracted to blondes. I suppose it is because the majority of blondes aren't naturals* and the artificialness of it is a turn off for me.

* Look at the difference in numbers between blonde women and blonde men

Overall, I suppose I like petite brunettes the best.

Recaiden
2009-04-20, 10:18 PM
I would also like to add that I find red hair unattractive, most any other color is fine to me though.

Canadian
2009-04-21, 09:05 AM
I'm very traditional in what I find attractive. I'm not into ugly chicks or fat chicks.

I did have one friend who was a "chubby chaser." He used to like to surround himself in all that fat. He was a strange guy.

He was incredibly skinny and never wanted to talk about his chubby chasing. He'd deny it every chance he got even though it was painfully obvious.

blackfox
2009-04-21, 11:04 AM
In guys:
Dark hair, not too short and not too long
Blue or green eyes
5'8"ish (I'm about 5'3")
Medium/athletic build
Clean-shaven

In girls:
Dark hair of any length
Dark eyes
An inch or two shorter than myself
Medium/athletic build
Glasses are also kinda cute

In personality:
Sense of humor
Willingness to put up with my ($10 says wierder and even more inappropriate than yours) sense of humor
Willingness to put up with my (hyperactive) anxiety
Kindness / more sensitivity than the average rock
Intelligence
Intellectual strength in different areas than myself so it doesn't turn into a competition (usually I'm the one causing the problem :smalltongue:)
Extroverted for the most part
Willingness to try something new
Some common interests and some not-common interests

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-21, 12:15 PM
I would also like to add that I find red hair unattractive, most any other color is fine to me though.

v.v
::hides her 4r red hair::

Anyways, I'm not very picky when it comes to men and levels of attraction. For me, I prefer a slender body with noticeable hips, but even this isn't required.

Women, I'm much more picky with. Brunettes, and very Nordic-esque faces, with the high cheekbones and pretty, full lips. Typically, blue or green eyes. Wide hips, average breasts.
Or very handsome women, with attractive male features. >>

Haruki-kun
2009-04-21, 12:26 PM

Heh... people really are different. I find red hair to be much more attractive than any other hair colour in women. :smalltongue:

loopy
2009-04-21, 12:35 PM
Heh... people really are different. I find red hair to be much more attractive than any other hair colour in women. :smalltongue:

Ditto, though I must profess that I'm a sucker for scene hair. Don't know what it is about scene girls, but damn. But I've found myself attracted to girls of all hair types.

Physically I find my tastes tend towards petite girls, small-to-average breasts. Cute-to-beautiful, cos I'm shallow. Innocent face that can turn devilish with a grin.

Personalities vary, but I always seem to end up falling for broken girls who need fixing. This can be a pain.

Telonius
2009-04-21, 12:38 PM
Physically: I like women who are healthy. Note that skinny =/= healthy. If you are healthy, you will be thin; but there are many, many non-healthy ways to be thin. Hourglass figure. I generally like taller (my wife is 5 foot 10, or 177.8 cm). Other than that, no real preference.

Personality: Must be willing to put up with my geekiness. Sense of humor is a must. Patience, willing to learn, sees things from more than one angle. Tells me when I'm wrong; admits when she's wrong. Loves and feels comfortable with her own body. Self-respect.

Physical will get my attention. Personality will keep it.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-21, 12:41 PM
Oh, personality. I completely forgot, because I'm a shallow shallowface.

Anyways, I always seem to fall for the innocent, lonely type. Always. Or the tortured lonely artist.
Or..
Well, like loopy, I always seem to center myself around someone who's broken, which, as he said, can lend itself to problems. There have been a few who have broken the mould, but, so far, this has been a fairly consistent thing.

Humor is something I need, as well as an ability to be silly. Intelligence, preferably someone smarter than me.

Haruki-kun
2009-04-21, 12:48 PM
Humor is something I need, as well as an ability to be silly. Intelligence, preferably someone smarter than me.

I approve. I'd like to date someone who has the ability to not be extremely melodramatic all the time.

As for intelligence, I'm not sure. I'd like her to be smart, but... I suppose I'd like her to need me in some way. And it's highly unlikely for that way to be my athletic ability, so..... <.<

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-21, 12:50 PM
I approve. I'd like to date someone who has the ability to not be extremely melodramatic all the time.

As for intelligence, I'm not sure. I'd like her to be smart, but... I suppose I'd like her to need me in some way. And it's highly unlikely for that way to be my athletic ability, so..... <.<

I have two settings:
Melodrama
LULZ

>>

Jibar
2009-04-21, 12:50 PM
Oh, personality. I completely forgot, because I'm a shallow shallowface.

Anyways, I always seem to fall for the innocent, lonely type. Always. Or the tortured lonely artist.
Or..
Well, like loopy, I always seem to center myself around someone who's broken, which, as he said, can lend itself to problems. There have been a few who have broken the mould, but, so far, this has been a fairly consistent thing.

Madam,

*whisks Rabbit off her feet*

We were made for each other.

:smallwink:

13_CBS
2009-04-21, 01:30 PM
Madam,

And so begins the newest romance in the playground. :smallamused:

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-21, 03:19 PM
Madam,

=O
Tale as old as time
Song as old as rhyme
Catmuffffiinnn and the Rabbbiiiitt

Reinholdt
2009-04-21, 03:24 PM
=O
Tale as old as time
Song as old as rhyme
Interesting how Rabbit put herself as the beast and Jibar as the beauty. :smallamused: :smalltongue:

Jibar
2009-04-21, 03:44 PM
=O
Tale as old as time
Song as old as rhyme

Up where they walk,
Up where they ruuun,
Up where they stay aaalll daaaay in the suun,
Wish I could be part of your wooooooooorld!

Dogmantra
2009-04-21, 03:55 PM
Up where they walk,
Up where they ruuun,
Up where they stay aaalll daaaay in the suun,
Wish I could be part of your wooooooooorld!
There's nowhere to hide
Nowhere to run
Your village will buuuuurn like the heart of the suuuun!
With infinite glee, it's going to be me,
That slaughters your woooooooooooorld!

I'm sorry, that's not appropriate at all!

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-21, 04:00 PM
I'm sorry, that's not appropriate at all!

That's what you think :smallamused:
:: unleashes her zombies::

Zombies are also attractive to me.

Jibar
2009-04-21, 04:03 PM
I was going to do my own version, but I knew I wouldn't be able to top Slaughter Your World.
Oh well HEY LOOK WE'RE AS OFF TOPIC AS THE CRUSH THREAD ALWAYS IS HA HA HA.
:smalltongue:

SDF
2009-04-21, 04:04 PM
Articulating attractiveness can be a challenge for me in part due to my way huge pickyness factor. Both physical and mental attractiveness need to be beyond a certain point for me.

Physical: I like really long (waist length) hair, or short short hair. A thin rounded face is attractive. Never really cared much for the color of the hair, but I'm not a huge fan of dirty blondes... I care more about cared for hair than anything. No rattyness. I like tall people, and being 6'1'' it's kind of annoying when you are with someone 5'6'' or shorter. But it isn't that big of a deal. Fashionable is a plus. I've certainly never wanted to jump someone who is shapeless wearing sweatshirts and pants. Not that I often have a strong urge to jump someone =P. Hot parents are a bonus, and gives you a good idea of where they are going. :smalltongue: Should probably be thinking long term at that point. >_> Oh, and I really like a sweet voice.

Personality: Optimistic, at least moderately intelligent with a good portion of common sense, and above all adventurous. I am a very social introvert. I'm pretty laid back and definitely have a type B personality. This means that I need some me time every few days, but I go insane if I don't have anything going on. I just want to be with people that love to go out and do things. Travel, see concerts, go exploring, shopping, eating out, or just finding something fun to do, someone who likes to do things. I'm pretty sure my distopian dream girl would play the drums too. =P

Anonomuss
2009-04-21, 04:07 PM
I've never quite managed to quantify what exactly it is that attracts me to women. In truth, looking at those who I have found most attractive in the past, they seem to share the following traits:

-Are generally of a slim or petite build
-Have hair of a decent length
-Pay attention to me
-Are consistently engaging and interesting
-Have a certain quirk or personality trait that I find particularly endearing
-Approachable and friendly
-Not always seeking to be the center of attention
-Not put off by poetry appearing inside their lockers
-Give me a fuzzy glow inside when I see them

But in general, I find that I'm not so much attracted to 'General' attractiveness. I see the appeal in celebrities and movie stars, but its the beauty of the person in the flesh and in their element, rather than any simple attributes that might be 'attractive'.

The body is not long for this world, and I'd like to think i could find someone that I could spend eternity with, or rather couldn't live eternity without.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-21, 04:09 PM
Brunettes. I usually find my to be crushing on mainly brunettes. Redheads, while often pretty, weirdly enough seem to be more centered around friend then attraction.

Or the tortured lonely artist..
Gooooooo me!

Dogmantra
2009-04-21, 04:16 PM
Actually on-topic this time:
I'm really not sure what I find attractive.
People who are slightly shorter than me?
I think...

Faulty
2009-04-21, 04:26 PM
That's a bit interesting about the hair. Blonde hair does seem to be more attractive for most people. Generally, I'm not attracted to blondes. I suppose it is because the majority of blondes aren't naturals* and the artificialness of it is a turn off for me.

* Look at the difference in numbers between blonde women and blonde men

Overall, I suppose I like petite brunettes the best.

Yeah, I think the reason there are a lot of unnatural blondes is because it might be naturally attractive. Same as you, I don't generally like it myself, though.

Mando Knight
2009-04-21, 04:49 PM

...Ah ha! You have to be a hero (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeroesWantRedHeads)! :smalltongue:

Physical attractiveness, to me, is a composite score of the physical structure of the body and face. Hair, skin, and eye color generally don't matter as much to me, but I do find myself attracted mostly to light-skinned brunettes.

Structurally, I prefer women with long, slender legs; an "hourglass" torso, i.e. a concave waist with wider hips/chest; average-to-large breasts (though not the main deciding factor); clear, smooth skin; well-defined chin; ...and several other facial features I haven't quite figured out yet. Some "click" and others don't. Also women who are shorter than 5' 9" are more attractive than those taller, as I prefer women who are close to or shorter than my 5' 7" height.

Psycho-socio-mentally, I prefer intelligent, outgoing women, especially those with similar political views.

OverdrivePrime
2009-04-21, 04:55 PM
Personality: I like confident, highly-educated, very intelligent women. Motivation and drive are a must, but she must be able to relax and enjoy the small stuff when necessary. Also required: she must be able to motivate me to get off my butt when there's stuff that needs doin'. Other than smarts, confidence and drive, the personalities I find attractive are pretty wide-ranging. My wife is an adventure and action-oriented woman who prefers to deal with the concrete here-and-now world. In the past I've been deeply attracted to artists, dreamers and jokers as well.

Physicality: I find some women hot and some women cute. I'm actually physically attracted to the hot ones, so I'll describe that. Hot to me is someone who's at least 5'-7" tall (over 6' is okay, but I want her to be able to wear heels when she's out with me, so over 6'-2" is pushing it, just for a comfort level), built like an athlete with a strong core, back and legs, and well-toned arms and shoulders. Essentially, I'd like to be able to hand my lady an aluminum baseball bat and expect her to clean house on a pack of zombies.
I dig my women hippy, with a curvy waist and a bit of a booty. Boobs are nice, though I find my preference ranges from A to E cups. More or less is unappealing to me. (And really, E cups are pushing it - it's hard to run or fight well with those things dragging a woman's balance all over the place.)
Cute noses are a must. I prefer light eyes and long, curly hair. Honey-brown is my favorite, but I can appreciate jet black, platinum blonde, whatever. I find red hair attractive, but it immediately raises my emotional defense reflexes, so I tend to keep clear of red heads. I've dealt with a few too many stereotypically "wild and crazy" red heads and so my subconscious usually kicks in to override attraction after a second or two.

Cute women trigger my protector reflexes. I'm not so physically attracted to them, but in a deserted-island scenario I'm sure that could change. Cute to me is 5'-6" or shorter with big eyes who are feisty but hopeless in a fight. The kind where they can punch you across the jaw and you just want to say 'awwww' and give them a hug. Short, pixieish hair pings my cuteness radar harder than long hair.

Adlan
2009-04-21, 05:01 PM
Hmmmm. Odd question to Ponder.

I'm not really one of those guy's who has a 'type'.

I like Long hair on Girls, but on the other hand, short hair can look really hot too. As can shoulder length.
I do really like artifically bright hair colours, or redheads. But so far I've yet to even kiss one, every snog yet's been with a blonde or a brunette, and I found them hot, even if they didn't have my favourite hair.

I like interesting eye's, eye's with depth.

I like faces that smile.

I like girls with tattoo's, and pericings.

I don't like stick thin girls. I can far more easily put up with a bit of extra tummy or such than I could with nothing there to grab.

I like girls with curves, Idealy, long legs, what most girls seem to think of as a fat arse and thighs. The Sterotypical wide hips statement several people have counteracted, yeah, I like wide hips.

Boob's need to look good with the body. I'm fairly average, in that I like large breasts, but not to big, absolutely massive hooters don't really do it for me (I think it's the floppyness). Natural or synthetic, dosn't matter to me, so long as you are happy with them, but I object to the idea of a girl being unhappy with her body, and modifying it to please others (if it's to please herself, thats fine).

SO thats looks,

Dress wise, I find girls into goth, punk, rock, hippies, alternative that sort of thing hot (goes with my liking of tattoo's and such). But I also find girls into practical clothing hot as well. A girl in a good pair of walking boots is as sexy as one in high heels, but for completely different reasons.

Personality wise, I like someone I can talk to, someone I can trust. And someone who can talk to me, at around about my own level. We don't have to agree on everything, but we do have to be able to agree to disagree.
Someone confident is alway's sexy.
Someone willing to try my hobbies, and with interesting hobbies for me to try, or we both share hobbies, is nice.
I also like someone who is comfortable with silence, being able to be silent in each others company without the need to fill a void.

other:
Getting me a Greencard would be nice, Americans get +1
practical skills are a massive plus. The Ideal girl for me has skills to help us and any offspirng survive any sort of disaster. Be it flood, fire or zombies.

THAC0
2009-04-21, 08:30 PM
(And really, E cups are pushing it - it's hard to run or fight well with those things dragging a woman's balance all over the place.)

Tell me about it!

Sir_Norbert
2009-04-22, 07:54 PM
Hmm, topic seems to have strayed from talking about attractiveness in general to "everyone tell everyone else what their 'type' is". I guess I don't really have much to say at the general level, except that I do find it very upsetting, even offensive, the way modern society tries to deny the -- to me -- obvious truth that everyone has their own type, by making it acceptable to mock people for disagreeing with the majority. I'm not talking about on a nice, friendly forum like this, of course; I mean in the classroom (where it's only to be expected) and the newspapers (where it isn't).

Anyway, getting back to my type, the things that are turn-ons for me are:
- Long hair, the longer the better. Black or dark brown is best, but I also like red hair (so long as it's "red hair" red as opposed to Eudial-from-Sailor-Moon red). Blonde is okay but then the face has to be really pretty, whereas if a girl has long black hair and pale skin I'll often be attracted to her even if her facial features aren't that great.
- Average body shape, neither fat nor thin. I honestly prefer small or average-sized breasts -- something like this picture (http://bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/gemma-atkinson-1.jpg) someone posted on the last page is a real, fast turn-off for me.
- I don't mind whether a girl is tall or short. Well, maybe I like looking at tall girls better but I like being with short girls better. It's not something that makes a huge difference to me, anyway (though I don't like extremes).
- Don't like piercings (except ears) or tattoos.

Darius Midnite
2009-04-23, 03:50 AM
Well, there are several aspects, of both personality and appearance, that I need to take into consideration when it comes to both genders.
Taste in music is important and goes for both sides. I can't relate to a person who doesn't share my interest, at least to some degree. Intelligence, wisdom and depth of character also means a great deal to me.
If these conditions are in place, I could very well be attracted to that person, despite appearance (Although it helps if the person is cute). :smallwink:

Boo
2009-04-23, 03:54 AM
Well, there are several aspects, of both personality and appearance, that I need to take into consideration when it comes to both genders.
Taste in music is important and goes for both sides. I can't relate to a person who doesn't share my interest, at least to some degree. Intelligence, wisdom and depth of character also means a great deal to me.
If these conditions are in place, I could very well be attracted to that person, despite appearance (Although it helps if the person is cute). :smallwink:

This, pretty much. Petite-ness helps too. >> 6'4" and I like petite women...

Susil
2009-04-23, 05:07 AM
Hmm, topic seems to have strayed from talking about attractiveness in general to "everyone tell everyone else what their 'type' is". I guess I don't really have much to say at the general level, except that I do find it very upsetting, even offensive, the way modern society tries to deny the -- to me -- obvious truth that everyone has their own type, by making it acceptable to mock people for disagreeing with the majority. I'm not talking about on a nice, friendly forum like this, of course; I mean in the classroom (where it's only to be expected) and the newspapers (where it isn't).

QFT Norbert. QFT.

Indeed, I know enough people (myself included) for whom often the most attractive people fall outside the 'norm', for the simple reason that it makes them interesting and also can often show that they're individual minded enough not to be what western society seems to dictate that they should be.

Oh, and has anyone mentioned voices yet? Because a lady with a good or unusual singing voice can always catch my attention. :smallsmile:

Anonomuss
2009-04-23, 08:03 AM
Hmm, topic seems to have strayed from talking about attractiveness in general to "everyone tell everyone else what their 'type' is".

Well Fiery Diamond did ask pretty openly;

What do you find attractive?

So we're not quite off topic. In truth, we're simply cementing the idea that everyone does have their type, as the posters are showing that beauty is not what is outside, in an objective sense. Rather it is a combination of people being who they are and the beauty that is in the eye of the beholder.

I guess I don't really have much to say at the general level, except that I do find it very upsetting, even offensive, the way modern society tries to deny the -- to me -- obvious truth that everyone has their own type, by making it acceptable to mock people for disagreeing with the majority. I'm not talking about on a nice, friendly forum like this, of course; I mean in the classroom (where it's only to be expected) and the newspapers (where it isn't).

I agree that some places in society there is a lack of acceptance on these issues, but it generally results from a lack of understanding of our fellow peoples. In newspapers and in classrooms, the opinions regarding attractiveness are just that. Opinion. I doubt anyone could accurately and conclusively mock or ridicule someone for what they find attractive, and, unfortunately in many cases, they are still entitled to their opinions.

IMHO if someone tries to tell you otherwise, than that you are entitled to your interests and opinions, especially in regard to something as personal and individual as this, they are best ignored.