PDA

View Full Version : The Nuralith Hunter PrC [3.5]

Lappy9000
2009-04-20, 10:02 PM
Ed. Notes: This is an extremely setting-specific prestige class. What you need to know is: nuralithis is a psionic and magic-absorbant crystal that flows in the blood of the bornura, nuralithis is worth more than gold per pound, nuralithis can be removed through Heal checks (as surgery) and can only be taken through vital organs (no blood-draining), and the bornura are these guys: Bornura Racial Traits:

Medium size: Bornura, being medium, receive no adjustments based on size.
Earth Scion: Bornura are humanoids with the (Earth) and (Psionic) subtypes.
Speed: A bornura's base land speed is 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision.
Almost Human: Bornura receive a +6 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to impersonate a human when not using crystal forming.
Crystal Forming: A bornura has the supernatural ability to alter the nuralithis in their bloodstream into various forms. One form must be chosen at first level, and progresses naturally as the bornura gains class levels. Utilizing a crystal form is a swift action and lasts until the bornura is killed, knocked unconscious, or “turns off” the effect. The effects of a shatter spell or similar effect can cancel out the bornura's crystal forming for a number of rounds equal to the damage the bornura took should they fail their fortitude save (treat the bornura as a crystalline creature).

Aqua Aura: Nuralithis evaporates to form a bluish aura around the bornura giving them and their allies within a 5' radius a +1 bonus on saving throws. Every four character levels, the aura grants an additional +1 bonus on saving throws.
Clear Immersion: Nuralithis accumulates into small clumps throughout the bornura's body giving them Spell Resistance 10. Every four character levels, the Spell Resistance increases by 5.
Crystal Edge: Nuralithis hardens around the bornura's dominant arm, forming a deadly natural blade that deals 1d8+1 points of bludgeoning and piercing damage. Every four character levels, this bonus increases by 1. When attacking with natural attacks, a bornura uses their crystal edge as their primary natural attack. At level 10, a bornura gains a second crystal edge.
Dazzling Jewel: Nuralithis forms into sharp irregular crystals that distort light around the bornura's form, giving them a 5% miss chance. Every four character levels, the miss chance increases by 5%.
Diamond Clarity: Nuralithis spreads through the very fissures of a bornura’s mind, granting them Power Resistance 10. Every four character levels, the Power Resistance increases by 5.
Gem Armor: Nuralithis condenses around the bornura's body, giving them a +2 natural armor bonus to AC. Every four character levels, this bonus to natural armor increases by +2.

Nuralithis Trance: Bornura cannot make charge attacks, take a -4 penalty to initiative, a -4 penalty to resist feints, and only gain half the benefit from spells or effects that rely on extreme emotion such as a barbarian's rage or a wilder's wild surge.
Inborn Psionics: A bornura has a small pool of psionic charges they may tap into daily. A bornura has one charge per three class levels, minimum one. A charge may be spent to activate one of the following psi-like abilities or to power a feat with the descriptor: crystal shard, empathy, empty mind. The manifester level is equal to the bornura's class level
Automatic Languages: Common, Terran. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnome, Gnoll, Halfling, Orc.
Favored Class: Monk.
I'm terrible at designing Prestige Classes, so it's probably woefully overpowered. Oh well :smallsigh:

[B]Nuralith Hunter
http://th05.deviantart.com/fs26/300W/i/2008/139/6/3/Introducing__Krono_by_Texas_Grizzly2007.jpg
-Vahle, renegade bornura and elite nuralith hunter

Image Property of Texas-Grizzly2007 (http://texas-grizzly2007.deviantart.com/)

Nuralithis is a crystalline gem with extraordinary magical properties. Reflecting energies both arcane and psionic, the tiny crystals emit a beautiful and calming bluish glow. However, to some, such a radience is a symbol of greed and power, for in the right hands nuralithis can be refined to form mighty engines of arcane destruction and can greatly enhance the capabilities of almost any caster. Those who seek to profit from the crystals, now embedded solely within the bodies of the bornura, will do whatever it takes to earn their prize.

Trained to hunt down and capture bornura, the nuralith hunters harness the latent psionic powers of the mind to aid in their pursuit of nuralithis. Many nuralith hunters were fighters or rogues, but all lust for what they can gain by exploiting the race of bluebloods. Among the most experienced of the nuralith hunters are those who have bonded with the very crystals they seek, becoming stronger than ever.

Hit Die: d8
Requirements: To qualify to become a nuralith hunter, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any Evil
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Skill: Knowledge (Psionics) 4 ranks, Heal 4 ranks
Feat: Track
Psionics: Must have a power point reserve of at least 1 power point

Table: The Nuralith Hunter
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Power Points/Day|Powers Known|Max Power Known

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Favored Enemy +2 (Earth), Psionic Weapon|2|1|1st|

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Deep Impact, Skill Mastery (Heal) |5|2|1st|

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Splintering Knell|9|2|1st|

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Favored Enemy +4 (Psionic) |14|3|2nd|

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Nuralithis Infusion|20|3|2nd|[/table]

Class Skills: The nuralith hunter’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Concentration (Con), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (psionics, local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Survival (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4+Int modifier.

Class Features
All the following are class features of the nuralith hunter prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Nuralith hunters gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Power Points/Day: A nuralith hunter can manifest powers. His ability to manifest powers is limited by the power points he has available. His base daily allotment of power points is given on Table: The Nuralith Hunter. In addition, he receives bonus power points per day if he has a high Wisdom score. His race may also provide bonus power points per day, as may certain feats and items. If a nuralith hunter has power points from a different class, those points are pooled together and usable to manifest powers from either class. Bonus power points from having a high ability score can be gained only for the character’s highest psionic class.

Powers Known: A nuralith hunter chooses his powers from the psychic warrior power list. At 1st level, a nuralith hunter knows one psychic warrior power of your choice. At every even-numbered level higher than 1st, he learns one new power. A nuralith hunter can manifest any power that has a power point cost equal to or lower than his manifester level. The total number of powers a nuralith hunter can manifest per day is limited only by his daily power points.

A nuralith hunter simply knows his powers; they are ingrained in his mind. He does not need to prepare them (in the way that some spellcasters prepare their spells), though he must get a good night’s sleep each day to regain all his spent power points.

The Difficulty Class for saving throws against nuralith hunter powers is 10 + the power’s level + his Wisdom modifier.

Psionic Weapon (Ex): At 1st-level, a nuralith hunter gains Psionic Weapon as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites to do so normally. If he already has this feat, he may select a fighter bonus feat instead.

Favored Enemy (Ex): When he enters the class, a nuralith hunter formally declares humanoids with the (Earth) subtype as an enemy he is skilled at hunting. Due to his extensive study of his foes and training in the proper techniques for combating them, he gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against his favored enemy. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against creatures of this kind.

At 4th level he also declares humanoids with the (Psionic) subtype as another favored enemy and the bonuses increase to +4.

Deep Impact (Ex): At 2nd level, a nuralith hunter gains Deep Impact as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites to do so normally. If he already has this feat, he may select a fighter bonus feat instead.

Skill Mastery (Ex): At 2nd level, a nuralith hunter becomes so certain in the use of the Heal skill that he can use it reliably even under adverse conditions. When making a Heal check, a nuralith hunter may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent him from doing so.

Splintering Knell (Su): A nuralith hunter can blast sonic energy to affect any creature or objects within a 30-foot radius. When using this attack, a nuralith hunter can shatter nonmagical objects of crystal, glass, ceramic, porcelain, or sunder nonmagical objects. A nuralith hunter can target a number of creatures of objects equal to his Wisdom modifier. All objects made of that material within the area must succeed on a Fortitude save or shatter. Creatures must make a Fortitude save or take 1d6 points of sonic damage per manifester level. A successful Fortitude save deals half damage. Save DC 10 + nuralith hunter level + the Wisdom modifier.

Nuralithis Infusion (Su): At fifth level, you have become so absorbed by your hunt for nuralithis that you have actually absorbed some of the magical crystals yourself, without actually becoming a crystalline being. You gain the Crystal Forming ability and a single crystal form. If you already possess the Crystal Forming ability, you gain a second crystal form.

Lappy9000
2009-04-23, 02:20 PM
The soulstitched medium s scarred features twisted into a maniacal grin as he laid eyes upon the fallen thread. Extending his gangly hand over the body of the slain, pulses of psionic energy rippled through the very air and the foggy spirits of the lost flooded back into the deceased thread. Standing before its new master, the thread bowed in fealty, honoring it’s tainted mockery of life. Grinning evilly again, the soulstitched spoke a deep, raspy croak, “Heheheh, good as new.” Rending open the soul of the thread with his mind, the soulstitched made the tear into a portal, welcoming any psionic tremors of comments, criticism, or critique.

Or in layman's terms "Bump" because I would greatly appreciate any comments, criticism, or critique you folks have to offer.

HeavySleeper
2009-04-24, 02:35 AM
It seems balanced about right, except for one issue I mention below; I'm not particularly good at judging balance, but none of the abilities (bar the one) are particularly overpowering, and a few are specific enough to make them non-problematic. It does seem as though it's intended to be a PrC taken primarily by NPCs.

I'm curious about the fluff of Nuralithis Infusion. Is the crystal grown, or implanted? Or do you just get the ability?

Also, is there a specified number of uses per day for Splintering Knell? You might want one, or a power point cost, because, as is, a few feats spent on Practiced Manifester means an at will power that can deal quite a bit of damage, which I don't think was intentional.

Other than that, I really don't think it's overpowered. There's a lot of good stuff, but since it's a class that'll be taken by characters that mostly have levels in melee classes, the boost is fine.

Lappy9000
2009-04-24, 09:50 AM
It seems balanced about right, except for one issue I mention below; I'm not particularly good at judging balance, but none of the abilities (bar the one) are particularly overpowering, and a few are specific enough to make them non-problematic. It does seem as though it's intended to be a PrC taken primarily by NPCs.Although I imagine the class will be tempting for a bornura player, as it's (ironically) the only way to get a second crystal form. The rest of the time, yeah, it'll probably be an NPC class to harass any bornura players.

I'm curious about the fluff of Nuralithis Infusion. Is the crystal grown, or implanted? Or do you just get the ability? It's absorbed. Whatever exactly that means is up for interpretation (it's best not to get too specific with such things).

Also, is there a specified number of uses per day for Splintering Knell? You might want one, or a power point cost, because, as is, a few feats spent on Practiced Manifester means an at will power that can deal quite a bit of damage, which I don't think was intentional.I'm not sure it will need a x/per day limit or not. It's not all that powerful damage wise, and really only affects crystalline creatures (who aren't exactly in abundance).

Other than that, I really don't think it's overpowered. There's a lot of good stuff, but since it's a class that'll be taken by characters that mostly have levels in melee classes, the boost is fine. A rouge/ranger could get in without too much trouble, but I think I'll lower the skill requirements to make it easier for a fighter to take.

Thanks for your input :smallsmile: Anyone else?

Lappy9000
2009-04-29, 03:57 PM
Don't worry, this'll be the last time I bump this sucker.

Any final critiques? I plan to use this so I want to make at least 86.435% sure it's balanced.