PDA

View Full Version : Complete Adventurer Ninja Revised

Corporate M
2009-04-21, 05:00 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/greenfuzzyllama21/kakashi%20using%20chidori.jpg
The ninja is underpowered, we all know that. And ninjas are totally sweet. We know that too... There has to be some way to do this class justice, without changing it from the ground up!

Well, I had an idea. The Ninja essentially uses a variety of supernatural "feats", with his "ki power". So keep the ki, but expand the supernatural capabilities of ki control well beyond what is listed in complete adventurer! Now these "feats" are more like spells. What do I mean? Well here's an example...

Let's say I'm a ninja. And I'm in a battle, I use "Toughness No Jutsu" and gain a bonus 3hp as the toughness feat. For the purpose of this example, the hp is temporary and is ignited first.. This simple technique costs 1 ki point.

Different feats would require a different amount of ki to emulate. You do not need to meet prequisites to use the feat, and the feat lasts a number of rounds equal to ninja level+wisdom modifier. These feats are treated as supernatural.

I even made a homebrew ninja feats.

Improvised Chakra [Special]
Prequisite: Ninja, constitution 13.
Special: Cannot emulate this feat using ki control.
Effect: When you runout of ki, you may still use jutsus by allowing yourself to take an amount of damage equal to what the ki cost of the feat would be. Whenever you use a technique this way, make a fortitude save DC 10+the ki amount it would have. If you fail, you becoem fatigue. If you're already fatigue, you become exhausted. If you're already exhausted, you fall prone, unconscience for 1d3 hours.

Improved Chaka [Special]
Prequisite: Ninja, charisma 13.
Effect: You gain an additional 2 ki points. You may gain this feat multiple times.

Greater Chakra Control [Special]
Prequisite: Ninja, intelligence 15.
Effect: All ki techniques cost -1 in ki points. (No less then 1) If a technique would cost less then 1 ki point, instead, you roll a d20, and on a 16 or higher. The technique costs no ki points. If lower, it still costs 1 ki point.

I've predicted some complaints, and I will list them here..

This Ninja completely blows some classes out of the water. Like Rogue, and Fighter!
Well that's because those classes suck. It shouldn't be the intent of a class revision to try and compare to a class that's essentialy beyond fixable. If we should compare this to anything, it should be comparing it to simaler classes. (such as the feat heavy psychic warrior, the stealthy magic users psychic rogue/lurk/spellthief, or the supernatural warriors of Tome of Battle)

So what do you guys think?

Bulwer
2009-04-21, 06:02 PM
I think it makes the ninja way, way too versatile. My vision of a ninja is an excellent assassin, fearsome combatant, and master of infiltration, not a do-anything jack of all trades. Of course, the image suggests that you and I have a very different idea of what we mean by "ninja."

Ghal Marak
2009-04-21, 06:12 PM
Those feats look pretty good. The latter two are definitely worth taking. Maybe the first one, if the player really seems to be running short on ki points.

I also agree that the ninja could use some more abilities to throw those ki points at. However, let’s not go crazy with the Naruto naming scheme. Not everybody likes the show/manga and it might cause some undue negativity. For your toughness example, you could just make an ability ‘Emulate Feat: Toughness’ instead of the ‘no jutsu’ stuff. Just a suggestion though, so do as you will.

Anyway, I'd love to help. The Ninja really does nead an overhaul.

EDIT: What Bulwer said made me think a bit. The balance of abilities needs to remain fixed on the assassination thing. Maybe just add some more utility and attack abilities? I dunno.

arguskos
2009-04-21, 07:33 PM
Your stuff looks alright, but you may wish to take a look at that which has come before: The POWER!! Ninja (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94207)

As for your idea, I do like it, it reminds me of the Pathfinder Monk fix, actually, just made into feats rather than a class feature. :smallwink: