endoperez
2006-08-17, 09:53 AM
Power Word: Halt
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 Swift action Standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature with 31 hp or less, or one unattended, nonmagical object of 5 pounds or less
Duration: 1 round
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

You utter a single word of power that causes one creature or unattended, nonmagical object of your choice to stay on place, whether the target can hear the word or not. This word is one of the simplest power words, and while faster to speak than the more powerful Power Words, its effects are weak and fleeting.

Affected creature can't use its Move action to move, fly, or use other sorts of alternate means of movement. The creature is allowed to take 5-foot step. In addition, the creature can use a Move action to force itself 5 ft forward against the power of the word. However, just as when crawling, this action incurs attacks of opportunity from any attackers who threaten you at any point of your crawl.

As not moving isn't a feature unique to living beings, Power Word: Halt also affects inanimate objects. If an item is targeted with this spell, that item loses all of its momentum and a force equal to 20 pounds (a creature with Strength 2) tries to keep it item in place. If the targeted item is used as a weapon, all attacks with it get a -1 modifier to attack bonus.

For more versatile, and official, version, see Command (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/command.htm)

I just had this image of a powerful creature just shouting "Halt", and someone just stopping on place. The I got the name. I just had to make the spell. I think this is a rather versatile spell, having a bit of the power of Unseen Servant, Daze, Doom, and perhaps some of the cantrips (Mage Hand or Hold Portal).

AmberVael
2006-08-17, 11:25 AM
Wow. Way too powerful. That is definately not a 1st level spell. It easily is level 3, maybe probably higher.

NullAshton
2006-08-17, 11:42 AM
Ah, didn't notice it's a first level spell. Yeah, too powerful at low levels. Clerics have a spell like that, called Command. Will save, one round only, but can still move.

A non-related thing... Where does it say you can't use a full move action while prone?

AmberVael
2006-08-17, 11:45 AM
Eh? I don't recall that. By full move action you mean double move right?

NullAshton
2006-08-17, 11:47 AM
Eh? I don't recall that. By full move action you mean double move right?

I mean move at all.

AmberVael
2006-08-17, 12:00 PM
What happens is that you use a move action to get up, and then you have a left over action, which is either a standard or move action. Thats it. You can move if you want, you just won't do anything else.

Peregrine
2006-08-17, 12:10 PM
A mind-affecting compulsion that can target objects? Umm...

And a swift action? Well, I guess your reasoning is that it's a power word, so it shouldn't even take a standard action. But for balance reasons, I can deal with a one-word spell taking a standard action (you need time to 'gather yourself' to speak it, or something).

Other than the balance issues, it's a good idea. I like the idea of expanding the Power Word series, and this one suits. :)

AmberVael
2006-08-17, 12:19 PM
I really like it too, it makes me want to cast it and play Gandalf.
"You shall not pass!"

Fax Celestis
2006-08-17, 12:55 PM
If you like power words, you should try playing a Truenamer.

endoperez
2006-08-17, 03:08 PM
A mind-affecting compulsion that can target objects? Umm...

And a swift action? Well, I guess your reasoning is that it's a power word, so it shouldn't even take a standard action. But for balance reasons, I can deal with a one-word spell taking a standard action (you need time to 'gather yourself' to speak it, or something).

Other than the balance issues, it's a good idea. I like the idea of expanding the Power Word series, and this one suits. :)

So... It's too good as a Swift action, and should be Standard action. That's fine, if that's what it needs to be balanced as a first-level spell.
Also, the [Compulsion] and [Mind-affecting] were copied from the other Power Words, and I didn't really notice them. I'll change the spell to not affect any objects.

Ah, didn't notice it's a first level spell. Yeah, too powerful at low levels. Clerics have a spell like that, called Command. Will save, one round only, but can still move.

A non-related thing... Where does it say you can't use a full move action while prone?

I checked the Command spell. One of the commands is this spell, as it happens; the main differences are that it's better, it allows will save and it is a standard action.

Halt

The subject stands in place for 1 round. It may not take any actions but is not considered helpless.

If the subject can’t carry out your command on its next turn, the spell automatically fails.

As it happens, I would already change the spell to a Standard action, and there's no need for two 1st-level spells that have almost the same effect. As such, it's just easier to use Command as a Wizard/Sorcerer 1 and Bard 1 spell in addition to it being a Cleric 1 spell. ::)

Oh well, that's what I get for not memorizing everything.

IonizedChicken
2006-08-17, 03:38 PM
There is a 'Halt' spell already. It appears in the PHB2 and requires an Immediate action to perform. It's 3rd level.