PDA

View Full Version : Why does Alan Moore hate Marvel Comics?

Finn Solomon
2009-04-22, 02:41 AM
He's done all his best work for DC and independents. His League of Extraordinary Gentlemen featured an ad for Marvel brand douchebags. He claims to hate the restrictive conditions at DC, yet he won't write a single word for Marvel. Why is this so? Did Marvel clip a hair from his holy beard or something? Make fun of Glycon? I'm dying to know.

bosssmiley
2009-04-22, 04:08 AM
Allen Moore vs Marvel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Moore#Marvel)

It seems to be over ego, money, and use without permission; the usual.

Yulian
2009-04-25, 05:19 PM
Well, the big companies weren't used to a writer actually willing to fight for what he was legally owed as hard as someone like Moore did from the get-go. It helped that he was so popular, readers would follow his work from company to company.

So when they tried to screw him over (as so often happened to writers and creators in the era he started working in) he just packed up and left, taking a lot of readers with him.

Remember, he is a comic writer, and he is wealthy. People like him and Neil Gaiman are a nightmare for a business model that used to sue competitors out of existence and basically jacked over the creators of Superman.

- Yulian

Kaelaroth
2009-04-25, 07:35 PM
... But he's written for Marvel UK. Lots!

chiasaur11
2009-04-25, 07:44 PM
... But he's written for Marvel UK. Lots!

Which led to the hatred in question.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-04-26, 04:06 AM
This may be because I'm far from an Alan Moore fan, but I had the impression Alan Moore hated pretty much everything.

Lord of Rapture
2009-04-26, 04:36 AM
This may be because I'm far from an Alan Moore fan, but I had the impression Alan Moore hated pretty much everything.

No, he just hates everything that he doesn't like about the world.

:smalltongue:

The Rose Dragon
2009-04-29, 07:26 PM
No, he just hates everything that he doesn't like about the world.

:smalltongue:

I think the difference between those two is that the first explanation just has fewer words.

I love Alan Moore's works, but the man himself is painful.

chiasaur11
2009-04-29, 07:41 PM
I think the difference between those two is that the first explanation just has fewer words.

I love Alan Moore's works, but the man himself is painful.

Somewhat, but at least he knows how to laugh at himself.

Between the Simpsons and 1963, he's shown himself to have a heck of a sense of humor. And to be really scary, but that one's a gimmee.

MeklorIlavator
2009-04-30, 12:53 AM
I think that this (http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp02132008.shtml) is appropriate.

ZeroNumerous
2009-04-30, 01:07 AM
Fixed that link for ya (http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp02132008.shtml), mate.

Irenaeus
2009-04-30, 02:48 AM
I really think the Moore hate on sites such as this is a bit strange. He has been nothing but pleasant towards fans (as far as I know), and many posters on such sites comment even more negatively on the adaptations of any work at all to the big screen.

Ya know, the pot and the kettle and all that.

Calinero
2009-04-30, 09:56 PM
What I fail to understand is why these big companies continue to antagonize Moore. I mean, he's Alan Moore. His comics are amazing. Why on earth would you try to jack him over petty things like copyrights and royalties when his comics are going to make you so much money in the long run? It's so stupid.

Turcano
2009-05-01, 04:56 AM
What I fail to understand is why these big companies continue to antagonize Moore. I mean, he's Alan Moore. His comics are amazing. Why on earth would you try to jack him over petty things like copyrights and royalties when his comics are going to make you so much money in the long run? It's so stupid.

Force of habit, mainly.