PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a way to do D&D and make for a living

PrGo
2009-04-22, 08:05 AM
Howdy, ya all!

I'm a senior at the School of Fine Arts atm, and I'm thinking what to go study next. I've always had a great passion for roleplaying games (like the most of you here) so I was wondering...

Is there a way to eventually earn enough for a living by doing D&D or some other roleplaying game? I know there are some obvious choices, like trying to get a job at WotC but I don't know any details, so I'd like to hear from you.

And good advice is welcome. Thanks in advance :smallbiggrin:

Knaight
2009-04-22, 09:50 AM
You can always make PDF adventures and the like, and use pay pal. You won't earn a lot of money through it, but you will earn some continually, and its a good way to get your name out there.

RTGoodman
2009-04-22, 10:20 AM
The normal way is to start off with submissions to third-party publishers, sending in ideas and hoping they'll ask you for a finished product. When you've got a little experience, start submitting ideas to WotC's Dungeon and Dragon magazines. (The submission info can be found HERE (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/submissions).)

By that point, should you have a decent resume and list of projects, you might be able to start doing stuff on your own or with another of the major companies. Where you go from there just depends on if people like what you're doing, who commissions you, and stuff like that. Also, you can check the Wizards Job Listings site (http://ww2.wizards.com/Company/Jobs/) for jobs in Design or whatever, and maybe just shoot 'em a resume and hope for the best.

Also, quick question - are you a senior in high school or at the college level. Because one thing you should look into are colleges and universities that offer Game Design degrees. Now, they're mainly focused on video games, but several of them have courses that would work well for a PnP RPG designer. I know Dave Arneson had been teaching classes at a place called Full Sail University (http://www.fullsail.edu/), and that might be a place to start looking.

The thing is, though, there are very few people that completely make a living off of D&D/game design. Most have other jobs (teaching at a college/university, writing novels, working for several companies, etc.), and gaming is only one thing they do. My suggestion is to not set your sights on just doing gaming as a career, but work on something else (get a degree, probably in Business or something since that's what they look for, work at a gaming store, whatever) and start out doing game design on the side.

PrGo
2009-04-22, 10:55 AM
I'm a senior at a high school. Still having trouble choosing a college, so that's why I asked here.

You have a good point there, about having this a secondary job. I might look into some other colleges and do the game designs on the side.

Thanks for the great advice. Keep the info coming, though :smallbiggrin:

EmeraldRose
2009-04-22, 11:56 AM
Writing novels as a second job would be pretty good, providing you could, for instance, get into the Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance worlds. Then you could write novels about gaming realms, and do something else on the side. Painting minis can be some income, if you're any good at it.

Quincunx
2009-04-22, 12:18 PM
Full Sail is boot camp for creative careers. You will not have time for D&D. You will not have time for eating and sleeping. You will likely not have time to entertain thoughts other than coursework. Supposedly there was a guy who was living in the same apartment I was who was a student there, but the rest of us were hazy on details because we saw him maybe twice a week, along with an echo of "can't stay, got work to do".