PDA

View Full Version : Segways: Stupid or Intriguing?

Muz
2009-04-23, 01:26 PM
So, yeah, weird thread topic, but oh well. :smallwink:

I'm headed to Paris for a few days next month (part of a larger trip :smallbiggrin:) and I noticed a place that does Segway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segway) tours around the city. I'm finding myself both intrigued and repulsed, much the same way I feel about the Segway itself. On the rare occasion that I see a Segway in person, I always find myself thinking both that it looks ridiculous, yet also wanting to see what it's like to ride one. In my mind, the rider is both derided (no pun intended) and envied.

So am I just weird, or is this a common feeling? What's everyone else think about Segways?

Boo
2009-04-23, 01:33 PM
I must admit that I have the same feelings towards this strange device.

thubby
2009-04-23, 01:34 PM
I'm in much the same boat. on one hand they look absurd, are totally unnecessary, and are outclassed by most other similar vehicles.
on the other, tiny vehicles are fun, the mechanics behind it are fascinating, and it's unique.

curse my curiosity.

Muz
2009-04-23, 01:40 PM
curse my curiosity.

Curse yours? Curse MINE! I'm trying to weigh the novelty and possible fun of riding around the city on one for four hours vs. the 75 euro cost and possibly looking like an idiot. :smallbiggrin:

Jibar
2009-04-23, 01:42 PM
I feel they need to be fitted with off road wheels and people need to develop tricks for them.
Then they will truly be awesome.

Supagoof
2009-04-23, 01:47 PM
I don't think they are stupid, especially for what the original design was for. Segways were meant to be a device to help the handicapp get around upright (like a standing electric wheelchair). With a support system attached, they can make those who normally couldn't stand and walk able too. For that reason alone, they aren't stupid.

Now, as for the use they are seen as nowaday, which is tours, they can be quite fun. Sure, you could walk, but can you walk at 10-15mph? Imaging taking a couple hours to walk around and see the sights without losing as much energy. So they work great for that purpose too. Yes, the absurdity is there, as no one has started the electric-wheelchair tours which would get you the same thing, but ah well.

The science is intriguing for certain. The advantages the segway offers is nice, but in some ways is not needed. It's like a car stereo that has controls on the steering wheel as well. Does it really take that much more work to reach over to the radio? [/rhetorical] It is enjoyable to use though.

So I give the segway a thumbs up. It's not a needed thing, but you'll enjoy if you try it.

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-23, 01:47 PM
Curse yours? Curse MINE! I'm trying to weigh the novelty and possible fun of riding around the city on one for four hours vs. the 75 euro cost and possibly looking like an idiot. :smallbiggrin:

If you're going to be a tourist, may as well look the part...

Can't stand the things, personally.

Trog
2009-04-23, 02:16 PM
I think for a tour of a city with lots of sights within a couple of mile radius like Paris a Segway would be a great way to cram in all of them in a short period of time. Yes you'll look like a tourist but who cares, really? :smallsmile:

It's a neat invention that I'd like to try out someday... but I don't know that I would want to own one.

That said, I also think that if you are like Woz from Apple and ride one into the restroom to stand on it while using the urinal you deserve to be ridiculed. :smalltongue:

Roland St. Jude
2009-04-23, 02:24 PM
I feel they need to be fitted with off road wheels and people need to develop tricks for them.
Then they will truly be awesome.

Here you go! (http://www.segway.com/individual/models/x2.php) Now get to work on developing some tricks. :smallamused:

Jibar
2009-04-23, 02:31 PM
Here you go! (http://www.segway.com/individual/models/x2.php) Now get to work on developing some tricks. :smallamused:

Sir, my mind has been blown.

Telonius
2009-04-23, 03:11 PM
Will it allow you to avoid Paris cabbies? If yes, then go for it.

(When I was studying in Germany, I had five or six friends who separately had horror stories about Paris cabbies. And some of those people were from New York...)

Muz
2009-04-23, 03:48 PM
Will it allow you to avoid Paris cabbies? If yes, then go for it.

(When I was studying in Germany, I had five or six friends who separately had horror stories about Paris cabbies. And some of those people were from New York...)

My plan is to get around the city via walking and the Paris Metro, so I'll hopefully be safe from the cabbies (unless I linger overlong in a crosswalk, I suppose). I'm trying not to look TOO much like a tourist, but perhaps that's a futile thing, given that I only speak a tiny bit of French.

It's this or a bike tour. I'll still waffling between the two. :smallsmile: (I'll be wandering around solo for the rest of my time there, unless I can meet someone who wants to venture into the Paris Catacombs with me. I want to check it out--partially just for having played Deus Ex--but I do not want to wander a mile through bones and darkness by myself, thank you very much. :smalleek:

Sneak
2009-04-23, 03:57 PM
I would go for it.

Yes, Segways look kind of ridiculous...but they look like a ton of fun, and I would love to try one.

You should do it if only so that you can say "I've ridden on a Segway!"

And biking...well, you can bike anywhere, any time. But Segway? Now that's unique.

Just some thoughts.

chiasaur11
2009-04-23, 04:49 PM
I'm with the majority on mixed confusion and mild fascination.

Still, if I have to get something, I'm going with an electric skateboard.

It's what the cool kids drive.

Alteran
2009-04-23, 07:24 PM
Still, if I have to get something, I'm going with an electric skateboard.

It's what the cool kids drive.

Comic Comic Comic (http://xkcd.com/139/)

As for my thoughts on the matter, a Segway tour of Paris sounds pretty unique, but also a bit silly. It depends what your priorities are.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-04-23, 07:32 PM
If you the true epic awesomeness of Segways, you should read the following three lifechanging words:

"Paintball on Segways"

I rest my case. :smallbiggrin:

Warpfire
2009-04-23, 07:59 PM
If you the true epic awesomeness of Segways, you should read the following three lifechanging words:

"Paintball on Segways"

I rest my case. :smallbiggrin:

Even more lifechanging/epic 3 words:

Chinese Attack Segways. (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-mbcfBuZQ4c/SHKQJwB29iI/AAAAAAAAAR8/E5FUlTyxmow/s320/china-segway-cops-photo.jpg)

Truth is stranger than fiction, indeed.

Recaiden
2009-04-23, 08:00 PM
I like them. Not that I've ever ridden one, but they're quite interesting.

chiasaur11
2009-04-23, 08:04 PM

Chinese Attack Segways. (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-mbcfBuZQ4c/SHKQJwB29iI/AAAAAAAAAR8/E5FUlTyxmow/s320/china-segway-cops-photo.jpg)

Oh?

I present some very compelling fiction. (http://www.pentadact.com/index.php/2008-07-04-i-propose-a-less-serious-vote)

Also: Nathan Fillion has an electric Skateboard.

Case closed.

Jack Squat
2009-04-23, 08:29 PM

Full pic (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00684/segway-anti-terror_684090n.jpg)

Notice anything strange about the guy on the far back?

Mushroom Ninja
2009-04-23, 08:56 PM
Full pic (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00684/segway-anti-terror_684090n.jpg)

Does one of those guys have a sniper rifle????

Jack Squat
2009-04-23, 08:58 PM
Does one of those guys have a sniper rifle????

Look closer.

The two guys on the far side (that one and the guy crouching) have camo-pattern crossbows.

Partof1
2009-04-23, 10:48 PM
I like 'em. Way fun.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-04-24, 12:21 AM
Look closer.

The two guys on the far side (that one and the guy crouching) have camo-pattern crossbows.

O.o I thought there was something strange awesome about them...

Athaniar
2009-04-24, 02:41 AM
I'd like to try one of these someday. They look fun.

FoE
2009-04-24, 03:19 AM
Weird Al ruined Segways for me.

Jimp
2009-04-24, 08:00 AM
They look like they would be a silly amount of fun. Every time I see Jobe on Arrested Development turn up on his I cna't help but think 'dang, that looks fun'. I'd never give up a car for one and I enjoy walking too much to ever authentically USE one, but if money wasn't an issue I'd have one for a segway hockey league or something :smallbiggrin:

Stormthorn
2009-04-24, 11:19 AM
You know, when i clicked this link i thought you where talking about conversation segway and now i know its not i feel the need to replicate this thread but with that sort of segway instead.

I also feel silly.

Hell Puppi
2009-04-24, 03:32 PM
I, too have the same feeling about the segway. However I think it would be great fun to ride around on one making "nnnyyyyyrrrrooooommmmm..." noises (or perhaps that's because I'm easily entertained).

Also, as a silly person who attempted to see all of Paris in one day on foot, please make sure that if you walk that you're in (decent) shape and have very good shoes on >.>

Paris on a Segway while making 'nyroom' noises? Awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Muz
2009-04-24, 05:02 PM
Oh, I'm not crazy enough to think I can see the whole city in one day no matter what mode of transport I'm using. I'll actually be there for three days, and even then I know there's no WAY I'll see it all. (Heck, I'm looking at restaurants and cafés and such and wishing I had more time there just for eating!)

I'll let everyone know what I decide. I'm still torn between the Segway thing and a bike tour. (The bike tour comes with wine and ice cream!) :smallwink:

Side note: "Drunken Segway Tourgroup" would be a good name for a band.

bosssmiley
2009-04-26, 04:43 PM
Segways are like fat chicks: great fun, up until the moment your mates see you with one. :smallamused:

They (Segways, not fat chicks) are also a technology in search of an application. Who bother forking out however much they cost when you have legs? :smallconfused:

Muz
2009-04-26, 10:34 PM
They (Segways, not fat chicks) are also a technology in search of an application. Who bother forking out however much they cost when you have legs? :smallconfused:

"We'll let Marketing worry about that." :smallwink:

skywalker
2009-04-27, 12:42 AM
Look closer.

Oh bad-ass! I too thought they were sniper rifles. Now that would be a strange sight. I wonder if those guys only know how to look cool, or if they can actually ride and shoot?

Segways are like fat chicks: great fun, up until the moment your mates see you with one. :smallamused:

As was mentioned earlier, they have a practical application for a specific range of handicapped people. I know a guy, for instance, who has one leg shorter than the other. Walking any distance at all is terribly hard for him (he walks on crutches), but he can get around no problem on his Segway.

I have ridden a Segway, and found it to be a novelty. I can walk anywhere I need to go. The big question on whether or not you will look like a total dork (as opposed to a half-dork) is whether or not they make you wear a helmet. If you have to wear a helmet, stay far away. Otherwise, I think you might be able to escape with your dignity intact. They're fun in a "learn something new, use it" way.

Muz
2009-04-27, 01:43 AM
The big question on whether or not you will look like a total dork (as opposed to a half-dork) is whether or not they make you wear a helmet. If you have to wear a helmet, stay far away. Otherwise, I think you might be able to escape with your dignity intact. They're fun in a "learn something new, use it" way.

Nope. Helmets. :smallwink:

Actually I think the high cost, risk of wrecking mine and being out the 500 euro credit deposit, and meeting more people on the bike tour (along with an included Seine cruise, wine, and so forth) while looking less like a tourist has me thinking I'll avoid it for the moment. I'll probably find some way to try 'em here in Seattle at some point, though. :smallcool:

DigoDragon
2009-04-27, 11:46 AM
Unless I get hit by one, I don't think the Segway is affecting my life in the immediate future.

FoE
2009-05-05, 07:54 PM
Is it necromancy when the thread is at page 2? Anyways, I actually tried riding a Segway last night.

There's a little outfit at West Edmonton Mall where they offer guided tours with Segways. (I guess the whole idea is to try and sell people Segways). Anyways, they also let people ride around this little obstacle course for $10, so I tried that out.

The Segway wasn't really meant for someone of my size (I'm a tall guy) and the helmets were too small. Also, the young dude who ran the place kept walking in front of me, trying to coach me; I couldn't really go fast as a result. (Yes, I did consider running him over, but there were too many witnesses.)

But it wasn't too bad. It takes some getting used to, but the controls are pretty intuitive. If you're travelling on flat ground, driving a Segway is a piece of cake. (Not so easy on hills and what-have-you.) Yes, you do look like a knob — some kids did make fun of me — but it was kind of fun.

Doran_Liadon
2009-05-05, 08:06 PM
Stupidly intriguing.

Lupy
2009-05-05, 08:12 PM
Stupidly intriguing.

YOU'RE NOT DEAD!!!!! :smallbiggrin:

Go check your email.

That aside, I think they're useless and entertaining. Like small yappy dogs without the noise!

Doran_Liadon
2009-05-05, 09:45 PM
No Im Not!

skywalker
2009-05-08, 02:04 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not necromancy after less than 10 days :smallwink:

Anuan
2009-05-08, 08:36 AM
Holy crap the chinese police force looks awesome in that photo.

Randel
2009-05-08, 03:24 PM
I think that segways are pretty cool, if only because if I ever wanted to create an army of killer robots I could probably save design time by using a segway-like mechanism in place of legs. They wouldn't be quite as mobile as if they had legs but would be more upright and use less material than if they used tank treds or whatever. Stairs and narrow doorways might be a problem, plus offroad mobility. But then again if my creations went rogue and betrayed me then I can out-manuver them that way.

Never build a killer robot you can't outrun... though if the hero can outrun it then it isn't fast enough.

More mad scientists need to take up jogging or parkour.

Berserk Monk
2009-05-09, 02:36 AM
My opinion, not violent enough. Let's get some spiked 20' diameter tires on these bad boys as well as some flamethrowers and increase the speed up to 200 mph.

lord of kobolds
2009-05-09, 08:41 PM
My opinion, not violent enough. Let's get some spiked 20' diameter tires on these bad boys as well as some flamethrowers and increase the speed up to 200 mph.

I'd settle for spinners, a paintball gun, and 30 mph.

Cleverdan22
2009-05-09, 11:33 PM
They're awesome:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d68/Toenail22/gob-bluth.jpg