PDA

View Full Version : Question for the musicians out there

Jimp
2009-04-25, 11:52 AM
How do you psyche yourself up for a gig?
I always have to dedicate a gig to someone. I have to play to someone out there in the crowd, otherwise my heart will never really be in the performance.
What works for you?

Moff Chumley
2009-04-25, 11:53 AM
Think about what you want the audience to think about. Pretentious? Hell yah. But it works for me and my band.

Susil
2009-04-25, 12:09 PM
Alcohol?

I jest, I jest, though I do sometimes have beer on stage with me.

As for psyching myself up, there's no real formula. The sort of music I play (I'm a folk songwriter) means I'm usually at pretty laid back venues, so a lot of it is simply about focusing on the songs. Moff has it about right really - most of my songs have a narrative of at least some sort, and when playing them I think its important to focus on that, and almost act the part. I also tend to banter a bit between numbers, tell jokes, whatever. By appearing more relaxed it kinda makes you feel it, you know?

Oh, and vocal warm-ups. I'm not a good singer so it helps! :)

Moff Chumley
2009-04-25, 12:16 PM
Ooh, and copious amounts of coffee help. I'm a keyboardist in an indie/funk/noise band, so as long as I'm hyper out of my mind and jumping around like a third grader that needs to go potty, I'm pretty happy with the gig. And if the gig isn't supplying coffee, WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING THERE?!?

Egiam
2009-04-25, 12:42 PM
Jumping up and down.

Playing without the instrument (sophisticated air guitar).

THAC0
2009-04-25, 12:46 PM
Bananas.

But then, I do classical and we're a lot more reserved. :smallbiggrin:

Kaelaroth
2009-04-25, 12:50 PM
I'm not a musician (I used to sing, and have done in a very large concert venue, but that's over, now). However, currently, I act, and debate, and read things, and such, which, though different from music, obviously, shares enough of the same traits that I feel qualified to comment. Typically, to psyche myself up before a performance, I try and think about why I'm doing it in the first place, and it tends to work. Hypothetical scenario: I'm doing this gig because there's a chance it'll make this personage love me. And then the love of that idea carries me onto the event itself, and gives me courage to continue.

Gem Flower
2009-04-25, 07:31 PM
I sing with my choir, and I usually think about the people I don't know in the crowd, enjoying our music on their own personal level. I tell myself that I have to give it my all to make this the best experience possible for them. Don't know why, but it works.

THAC0
2009-04-25, 08:16 PM
Aha! This is something else I think about. The quote is an excerpt, the rest of which can be found here: http://trentalange.tumblr.com/post/82322799/boston-conservatory-welcome-address-by-karl-paulnack

“If we were a medical school, and you were here as a med student
practicing appendectomies, you’d take your work very seriously because you would imagine that some night at two AM someone is going to waltz into your emergency room and you’re going to have to save their life. Well, my friends, someday at 8 PM someone is going to walk into your concert hall and bring you a mind that is confused, a heart that is overwhelmed, a soul that is weary. Whether they go out whole again will depend partly on how well you do your craft.”

I highly recommend reading the rest.

DwaggieBard
2009-04-25, 09:25 PM
Aha! This is something else I think about. The quote is an excerpt, the rest of which can be found here: http://trentalange.tumblr.com/post/82322799/boston-conservatory-welcome-address-by-karl-paulnack

“If we were a medical school, and you were here as a med student
practicing appendectomies, you’d take your work very seriously because you would imagine that some night at two AM someone is going to waltz into your emergency room and you’re going to have to save their life. Well, my friends, someday at 8 PM someone is going to walk into your concert hall and bring you a mind that is confused, a heart that is overwhelmed, a soul that is weary. Whether they go out whole again will depend partly on how well you do your craft.”

I highly recommend reading the rest.

Thank you for posting this. That article has, in a slight way at least, changed the way I think about music, playing music, and artists.

THAC0
2009-04-25, 09:30 PM
Thank you for posting this. That article has, in a slight way at least, changed the way I think about music, playing music, and artists.

That's how I felt the first time I read it. It's a powerful article and I'm glad you appreciated it.

DwaggieBard
2009-04-25, 10:28 PM
That's how I felt the first time I read it. It's a powerful article and I'm glad you appreciated it.

I've heard from many teachers that music not just a luxury, but a basic necessity of life, and this article does an excellent job of explaining it.

Do you play an instrument? I've been playing piano for about 6 years.

THAC0
2009-04-25, 10:33 PM
I've heard from many teachers that music not just a luxury, but a basic necessity of life, and this article does an excellent job of explaining it.

Do you play an instrument? I've been playing piano for about 6 years.

I'm a horn player and a music teacher. :smallbiggrin:

Llama231
2009-04-26, 05:30 PM
I just remain calm and wing it.

At least for concert band.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-04-26, 09:55 PM
I find the thought of an audience listening to me generally enough to psych me up for a gig.

golentan
2009-04-26, 10:16 PM
I never worry about it. I treat it exactly the same as practice, and ask for stage lights so I can't see the audience. Since I practice with said lights, as far as I can tell the people watching don't exist, and are thus easy to ignore.

Felixaar
2009-04-27, 01:56 AM
A question for magicians, aye? Well, I'll--

Oh.

I see.

...Someday :smallfrown:

Krytha
2009-04-27, 09:18 AM
I just go out there and do it. Either you can do it or you can't.

Murska
2009-04-27, 09:22 AM
I don't really psyche up in any special way. Playing itself quickly gets me to the right mood, and makes me feel good about myself, so I'm able to do all kinds of things I wouldn't have the guts for otherwise. :smallsmile:

valadil
2009-04-27, 03:00 PM
I haven't done a musical performance since middle school, but if I ever find a singer, drummer, and bass player I'd probably psyche myself up with the theater exercises I did back in college. They're not particularly exciting by themselves, but have positive assocations that give me energy and enthusiasm. Sometimes I even run through them before job interviews.

Durp
2009-04-27, 03:29 PM
Think about how awesome it is that you know how to play [insert instrument].
Nobody else in that audience can play it, just you! Yeah! That's awesome!
*Awesome guitar solo*

Canadian
2009-04-28, 08:59 PM
No need to do anything special. Waiting to go on builds things up enough already.