PDA

View Full Version : The Paradigm Project Wants YOU - to help create some rituals

Lord_Gareth
2009-04-25, 10:32 PM
An angry mage on the warpath can warp gravity, reverse time, shred minds to confetti and reduce elder vampires to ash with little more than a dissapproving glare...

...Their method of power does not seem to matter as much as their belief in that method...

A long, long time ago, I started something I coined the "Pardigm Project", a replacement for the current D&D magic system. I've been working on it off and on for two-and-a-half years now, and I'm finally, ALMOST done with one of the classes.

This, however, is where I need your help.

The Ritualist (http://plothook.net/RPG/showpost.php?p=396095&postcount=1) requires, well, rituals, and I'm at a loss as to what to do with the poor guys. So I want your ideas, input, maybe even tentative designs, and maybe we'll get this friggin' class finished!

One thing to note: the Paradigm Project is not compatible with normal D&D magic. That is to say, one can assume that cleric, wizard, druid, and, in fact, just about every traditional caster (with the possible exception of bard) does not exist when making these rituals.

Ready? Go!

PS. Post here, post in the Plothook thread, I really don't care which.

Lord_Gareth
2009-04-25, 11:57 PM
Current Rituals

Here's what we have so far

*Traditions*

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs26/f/2008/040/3/d/Death_Rune_by_JetFangInferno.jpg

Rituals are divided into groups called traditions. A Ritualist may only learn rituals from traditions associated with his subparadigms. A list of associated rituals is given with each subparadigm.

Destruction

"With but a few symbols and an ounce of my blood, I can shatter the ground at your feet, rain devastation upon your people, and turn your very bones to dust. Why should I bow before YOU?" -Domric Elrys, Daemon Magus to Kal Ebberth, Mage of the Arcane Order

Rituals of destruction bring ruin and havoc upon their targets. Through the use of strong elemental magic and powerful forces, these rituals call forth flame, turn bone to dust, and cause the earth itself to tremble. Daemon Magi use these rituals to sow terror and destruction, or to destroy those who would bring harm to the world.

Minor: Calling the Dancing Flames, Crush the Physical Form, Shatter the Standing Stone
Adept: Conducting the Symphony of Destruction, Constricting the Iron Bands, Dance of Corrosive Rain
Moderate: Break the Living Body, Scour the Inner Being, Decimate the Masses
Major: Awaken the Earthen Dragon
Supreme:

Destruction Rituals

Awakening the Earthen Dragon
Destruction/Elementalism, Major
Incanting Time: 1 round
Extension: +1 round
Area: 20ft radius
Range: Sight
Effect: When you perform this ritual the earth rises up in protest of your magicks, shaking violently in an effort to disrupt you. All creatures within a 20ft radius of the ritual must make a Reflex save each round or fall prone. Additionally, all terrain in the area is treated as being difficult terrain.
Extension I: Shards of rock begin to fly lethally through the air, dealing 6d6 points of damage a round to everything within the area of effect.
Extension II: Dust begins to fly through the air, covering the whole area in total concealment.
Extension III: Great rifts of earth open, and opponents must make a Reflex save each round (DC 18 + Your Charisma modifier) or fall into one. At the end of the ritual’s duration, all foes trapped within the earth are slain instantly as the ground swallows them up. A Climb check (DC 20) is necessary to climb up from a chasm.
Extension IV: The earth erupts in a cataclysmic burst of stone and dirt. Everything within the radius of the effect takes 2d6 points of damage/Incanter level and must succeed on a Reflex save or be pinned under rubble, requiring a Strength check DC 20 or three rounds of digging to break free. This cuts the ritual short, ending all effects instantly.
Duration: Casting + 5 rounds
Saving Throw: Reflex Partial (see text)
Spell Resistance: No

Break the Living Body
Destruction/Essence, Moderate
Target: One creature within range
Range: Medium
Effect: When you perform this ritual your opponent is wracked with unbearable pain. They must succeed on a Fortitude save or be Staggered for the duration of the Ritual (although their hp remains at its normal level). A successful save reduces this to Fatigued.
Extension I: Your opponent’s bones begin to fracture and snap. Each round he or she must succeed on a Fortitude save or take 1d4 points of Constitution damage.
Extension II: Your opponent is brought to his or her knees by the intense pain. He or she must succeed at a Fortitude save or be unable to move for the duration of the ritual. A successful save results in a 50% reduction to his or her movement speed.
Extension III: The intensity of the pain increases dramatically. Your opponent takes a minimum of 1 point of Constitution damage a round regardless of the outcome of the save.
Extension IV: Your opponent’s bones turn to dust. If your opponent fails a Fortitude save he or she is permanently rendered completely helpless, unable to move, speak, or take any action that is not purely mental. This cuts the ritual short, ending all effects instantly.
Duration: Casting + 3 rounds
Saving Throw: Fortitude Partial (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes

Calling the Dancing Flames
Destruction/Elementalism, Minor
Incanting Time: 1 rounds
Extension: +1 rounds
Target: 1 creature
Effect: Performing this ritual summons up fire from the bowels of the earth, scorching your foe with sheets of flame. Your target takes 1d4 points of fire damage/Incanter level (Ref negates).
Extension I-IV: Each additional extension raises the die type by one (d4 to d6, d6 to d8, d8 to d10, d10 to d12) and adds an additional target within range.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex Half (see text)

Crush the Physical Form
Destruction/Essence, Minor
Range: Close
Effect: When you perform this ritual the target is wracked by intense pain. He or she takes a -2 penalty to all rolls for the duration of the ritual. Each round he may make a Fortitude save to ignore this penalty for one round.
Extension I: Your opponent is crippled and brought to his knees. His speed is reduced by 50% for the duration of the ritual. A successful Fortitude save reduces this to a 25% reduction.
Extension II: The pain increases dramatically. Your opponent suffers an additional -2 penalty to all rolls (-4 total) for the duration of the ritual. Each round he may make a Fortitude save to ignore this penalty for one round.
Extension III: Your opponent’s body is wracked and broken. Attackers gain a +10 bonus to critical conformation rolls against him for the duration of the ritual.
Extension IV: The pain increases to impossible levels. Your opponent suffers an additional -2 penalty to all rolls (-6 total) for the duration of the ritual. Each round he may make a Fortitude save to ignore this penalty for one round.

Decimate the Masses
Targets: Up to one creature/2 Incanter levels
Effect: This ritual is an same as Crush the Physical Form in all respects except for the number of creatures targeted.

Shatter the Standing Stone
Destruction, Minor
Target: One object within range.
Range: Short
Effect: When you perform this ritual, make a check using your primary Incanting attribute. If the result is above the break DC of the target object, that object shatters. If the object is in the possession of a creature or is otherwise magical, it receives a Will save to negate this effect.
Extension I-IV: For each additional extension you perform, you gain a cumulative +4 bonus to the check result.
Saving Throw: Will negates (see text)

Conducting the Symphony of Destruction
Destruction, Adept
Area: 20ft radius, centered on the Incanter
Effect: When you perform this ritual a cacophonous eruption of hideous, crackling sound dances around you. All creatures within 20ft must make a Fortitude save or be shaken for the duration of the ritual. A successful save negates the feat effect. This is a sonic, mind-affecting fear effect.
Extension I: The sound rises to a high pitched, grating wail. All creatures within 20ft take 3d6 points of Sonic damage a round. Listen checks within the area suffer a -10 penalty.
Extension II: The screaming music drowns out all speech, and causes spellcasters to stare in horror as their very words are corrupted on their tongues. All spells with verbal components suffer a 50% failure chance if the caster is within the area of effect of this Ritual.
Extension III: The noise increases to impossible levels, ripping into the minds of those listening. All creatures within 20ft must make a Fortitude save or fall to the ground, unable to take any actions until the end of the Ritual’s duration. A successful save renders the target immune to this effect.
Extension IV: The noise crescendos in a devastating blast of pure sonic energy. All creatures within 20ft take 1d6 points of Sonic damage/Incanter level and must succeed on a Fortitude save or be permanently deafened. This cuts the ritual short, ending all effects instantly.
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (see text)

Constricting the Iron Bands
Destruction, Adept
Target: One creature
Effect: When you perform this ritual your target is engulfed in rings of iron. He or she must make a Reflex save or be unable to take a move action for the duration of the ritual. A successful Reflex save negates all further effects of the ritual.
Extension I: The rings begin to constrict, dealing 1d4 damage per Incanter level.
Extension II: The rings begin to inhibit your opponents actions. Each round your target must make a Fortitude save or be unable to take any actions for that round.
Extension III: The rings constrict further, dealing 1d4 damage per Incanter level.
Extension IV: The rings close completely, rendering your target completely immobile for 1d4 rounds. A successful Fortitude save negates this effect. This cuts the ritual short, ending all effects instantly.
Duration: Casting + 1 round/Incanter level
Saving Throw: Reflex negates, Fortitude partial (see text)

Dance of Corrosive Rain
Destruction, Adept
Area: A 20ft radius centered on a point in space.
Effect: When you perform this ritual the skies break open and acidic rain falls on the target area. Everything in the area takes 1d4 acid damage/2 Incanter levels per round (Reflex save for half).
Extension I: The acid scars and cripples those within the area. Any creature exposed to this extension takes 1 point of Dexterity damage and 1 point of Charisma damage per round of exposure.
Extension II: The steam from the chemical reactions rises up in a toxic cloud. Each round all creatures in the area must make a Fortitude save or be nauseated for one round. A successful save reduces this to sickened.
Extension III: The acid further scars and cripples those within the area. Any creature exposed to this extension takes 2 points of Dexterity damage and 2 points of Charisma damage per round of exposure.
Extension IV: The noxious fumes grow in potency. If a creature fails its Fortitude save it takes 2 points of Constitution damage in addition to being nauseated.
Duration: Casting + 1 round/Incanter level
Saving Throw: Reflex partial (see text), Fortitude partial (see text)

Scour the Inner Being
Destruction, Moderate
Effect: Your opponent’s mind is torn to ribbons by a horrendous wave of destructive thoughts. He or she must succeed on a Will save or take 1d4 points of ability damage to Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. A successful save results in 1 point of damage to each of these abilities.
Extension I: Your opponent’s mind is left broken and shattered. They are Confused for the duration of the Ritual. A successful Will save negates this effect.
Extension II: Your opponent’s mind is torn to ribbons by a horrendous wave of destructive thoughts. He or she must succeed on a Will save or take 2d4 points of ability damage to Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. A successful save results in 2 points of damage to each of these abilities.
Extension III: Your opponents mind is shattered beyond repair. They are driven insane as if by the spell Insanity. A successful Will save negates this effect.
Extension IV: Your opponent’s mind is torn to ribbons by a horrendous wave of destructive thoughts. He or she must succeed on a Will save or take 3d4 points of ability damage to Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. A successful save results in 3 points of damage to each of these abilities.
Duration: Instantaneous and 1 round/Incanter level (see text)
Saving Throw: Will Partial (see text)

Diabolism

"Take but one step more and I swear by the nine gods I will unleash the legions of Hell itself upon you. Thou shalt come no further." -Domric Elrys, Daemon Magus

Rituals of diabolism call powers from the Abyss to the Ritualist’s aid. Through this infernal contract these rituals grant the Ritualist infernal powers, summon demons to do his bidding, and open the gates of Hell itself. Daemon Magi use these rituals to summon powerful allies when outnumbered and to gain dark powers from the Abyss.

Minor:
Adept:
Moderate:
Major:
Supreme:

Diabolism Rituals

Elementalism

"Awaken, Earth. Shake free from your slumber and answer my call." -Domric Elrys, Daemon Magus, performing the ritual Awakening the Earthen Dragon

Rituals of elementalism bring the power of the elements to bear, tossing primal force around with savage ferocity. By harnessing the fundamental powers of the elements, these rituals scour their targets with elemental force, shield their Incanters from harm, and conjure forth the most potent aspects of nature’s wrath. Daemon Magi use these rituals to tear their foes apart and protect themselves from retaliation.

Minor: Binding the East Wind, Calling the Dancing Flames
Adept:
Moderate:
Major: Awakening the Earthen Dragon
Supreme:

Elementalism Rituals

Awakening the Earthen Dragon
Destruction/Elementalism, Major
Area: 20ft radius
Range: Sight
Effect: When you perform this ritual the earth rises up in protest of your magicks, shaking violently in an effort to disrupt you. All creatures within a 20ft radius of the ritual must make a Reflex save each round or fall prone. Additionally, all terrain in the area is treated as being difficult terrain.
Extension I: Shards of rock begin to fly lethally through the air, dealing 6d6 points of damage a round to everything within the area of effect.
Extension II: Dust begins to fly through the air, covering the whole area in total concealment.
Extension III: Great rifts of earth open, and opponents must make a Reflex save each round (DC 18 + Your Charisma modifier) or fall into one. At the end of the ritual’s duration, all foes trapped within the earth are slain instantly as the ground swallows them up. A Climb check (DC 20) is necessary to climb up from a chasm.
Extension IV: The earth erupts in a cataclysmic burst of stone and dirt. Everything within the radius of the effect takes 2d6 points of damage/Incanter level and must succeed on a Reflex save or be pinned under rubble, requiring a Strength check DC 20 or three rounds of digging to break free. This cuts the ritual short, ending all effects instantly.
Duration: Casting + 5 rounds
Saving Throw: Reflex Partial (see text)

Binding the East Wind
Elementalism/Warding, Minor
Area: 10ft radius
Range: 10ft radius centered on the Ritualist
Effect: When you perform this ritual the very winds swirl about you, creating an impenetrable barrier. All creatures within the area of effect gain a +5 bonus to Armor Class against projectile attacks coming from outside the area of effect.
Extension I: The winds pick up pace, deflecting projectiles of all shapes and sizes. All projectile attacks of under siege weapon size targeting something within the area of effect suffer a 50% miss chance. Any creature attempting to enter the area of effect must make a Fortitude save or be thrown backwards 1d4x5ft and knocked prone.
Extension II: The winds continue to grow, lifting up rubble and creating a nightmarish vortex. Any creature within a 20ft radius of the caster but not also within a 10ft radius takes 3d6 points of bludgeoning damage a round from the high speed winds.
Extension III: The winds reach a truly impossible speed, and your control of them becomes supernatural. All ranged attacks initiating outside the 10ft area of effect that would target a creature or object within the 10ft area of effect instead rebound on the attacker. This includes all ranged touch spells. The Ritualist makes an attack roll with an attack bonus equal to his Ritualist level + his Charisma modifier to see if the rebound strikes the target. A failed attack roll means that the spell goes wild, missing everything.
Extension IV: The wind shield explodes outward, sending gale force winds in every direction. Everything inside a 30ft radius area of effect but outside the 10ft area of effect must make a Fortitude save or be thrown violently 2d6x5ft and fall prone. Creatures thrown in this manner take 1d6 damage per 10ft traveled. This cuts the ritual short, ending all effects instantly.
Duration: Casting + 2 rounds/Incanter level

Calling the Dancing Flames
Destruction/Elementalism, Minor
Effect: Performing this ritual summons up fire from the bowels of the earth, scorching your foe with sheets of flame. Your target takes 1d4 points of fire damage/Incanter level (Ref negates).
Extension I-IV: Each additional extension raises the die type by one (d4 to d6, d6 to d8, d8 to d10, d10 to d12) and adds an additional target within range.
Saving Throw: Reflex Half (see text)

Essence

"Life and death really aren't that different. Control one, and your fingers brush up against the other. From there all you must do is reach out and snare it." -Mira Niliman, Martyr, when asked how she slew the Lord of the Iron Pit

Rituals of essence alter the innate life force of their targets, healing or harming as the Incanter wills. Through manipulations in the very essence of their targets, these rituals heal the wounded, harm the corrupt, and even create life where before was void. Martyrs use these rituals to heal the innocent and punish the guilty, while Sandmen alter the flow of time, bringing health back to the crippled and forcing visions of future pain upon their foes.

Minor: Crush the Physical Form
Adept:
Moderate: Break the Living Body, Decimate the Masses
Major:
Supreme:

Essence Rituals

Break the Living Body
Effect: When you perform this ritual your opponent is wracked with unbearable pain. They must succeed on a Fortitude save or be Staggered for the duration of the Ritual (although their hp remains at its normal level). A successful save reduces this to Fatigued.
Extension I: Your opponent’s bones begin to fracture and snap. Each round he or she must succeed on a Fortitude save or take 1d4 points of Constitution damage.
Extension II: Your opponent is brought to his or her knees by the intense pain. He or she must succeed at a Fortitude save or be unable to move for the duration of the ritual. A successful save results in a 50% reduction to his or her movement speed.
Extension III: The intensity of the pain increases dramatically. Your opponent takes a minimum of 1 point of Constitution damage a round regardless of the outcome of the save.
Extension IV: Your opponent’s bones turn to dust. If your opponent fails a Fortitude save he or she is permanently rendered completely helpless, unable to move, speak, or take any action that is not purely mental. This cuts the ritual short, ending all effects instantly.

Crush the Physical Form
Destruction/Essence, Minor
Effect: When you perform this ritual the target is wracked by intense pain. He or she takes a -2 penalty to all rolls for the duration of the ritual. Each round he may make a Fortitude save to ignore this penalty for one round.
Extension I: Your opponent is crippled and brought to his knees. His speed is reduced by 50% for the duration of the ritual. A successful Fortitude save reduces this to a 25% reduction.
Extension II: The pain increases dramatically. Your opponent suffers an additional -2 penalty to all rolls (-4 total) for the duration of the ritual. Each round he may make a Fortitude save to ignore this penalty for one round.
Extension III: Your opponent’s body is wracked and broken. Attackers gain a +10 bonus to critical conformation rolls against him for the duration of the ritual.
Extension IV: The pain increases to impossible levels. Your opponent suffers an additional -2 penalty to all rolls (-6 total) for the duration of the ritual. Each round he may make a Fortitude save to ignore this penalty for one round.

Decimate the Masses
Targets: Up to one creature/2 Incanter levels
Effect: This ritual is an same as Crush the Physical Form in all respects except for the number of creatures targeted.

Foretelling

"Those who cannot see what is will never see what will be. Before one can look into the future, one must first learn to look around himself." -Dorian Rike, Sandman

Rituals of foretelling twist time around, revealing the secrets of past, present, and future. Through visions of other times these rituals reveal the hidden, uncover the past, and even predict the future. Sandmen use these rituals to uncover that which eludes them and discover what events await them in days to come.

Minor:
Adept:
Moderate:
Major:
Supreme:

Foretelling Rituals

Necromancy

"Countless men have sacrificed their lives rather than submit to my dominion. It cheers me up to know they failed in even this simple task." -Domric Elrys, Daemon Magus

Rituals of necromancy bring dark magic to bear to accomplish actions to horrible to contemplate. Through black magicks these rituals raise the empty shells of the dead, loose haunting spirits upon mortals, and even destroy the soul itself. Daemon Magi use these rituals to create legions for themselves and to tear their enemies’ souls from their bodies.

Minor:
Adept:
Moderate: Extinguish the Immortal Soul
Major:
Supreme:

Necromancy Rituals

Extinguish the Immortal Soul
Necromancy, Moderate
Incanting Time: 2 rounds
Effect: When this ritual is completed, the target’s soul is violently ripped from their body and sent to the depths of the Abyss. Your target must make a Fortitude save or die instantly. A successful save results in your target instead gaining 1d2 negative levels.
Extension I: If your target fails his or her save, the body is consumed by black fire and reduced to ash. A successful save results in your target gaining 1d4 negative levels.
Extension II: Your target’s soul is not only torn out but is also corrupted. Anyone trying to raise or resurrect your target must first succeed on a caster level check with a DC equal to your Incanter level. A successful against the death effect save results in your target gaining 1d6 negative levels.
Extension III: Your target’s soul is not only torn out but is also destroyed. Nothing short of a Wish or Miracle spell followed by a successful resurrection spell (requiring a caster level check with a DC equal to your Incanter level) can return the target to life. A successful save results in your target gaining 1d8 negative levels.
Extension IV: Your target’s soul is not only torn out but is also obliterated. Nothing short of divine intervention can return the target to life. A successful save results in your target gaining 1d10 negative levels.

Peregrination

"A single step can lead anywhere, if one only knows how to walk." -Dorian Rike, Sandman

Rituals of peregrination distort reality itself to allow movement between locales. Through this bending of space and time these rituals allow for rapid movement, teleportation, and even planar travel. Sandmen use these rituals to travel from village to village and to banish their opponents into other worlds.

Minor:
Adept:
Moderate:
Major:
Supreme:

Peregrination Rituals

Radiance

"Thus clothed in glory I will walk unheeding through the fires of Hell itself, for no evil may touch me this day." -Mira Niliman, Martyr

Rituals of radiance bring the blessings of the gods down upon the Ritualist. Through this divine grace these rituals spread light, banish evil beings, and instill those nearby with the essence of the gods themselves. Martyrs use these rituals to bring hope to the hopeless and banish corruption from the lands.

Minor:
Adept:
Moderate:
Major:
Supreme:

Radiance Rituals

Spiritualism

"May the angels watch over you in your hour of need." -Mira Niliman, Martyr

Rituals of spiritualism call powers from the heavens to the Ritualist’s aid. Through this celestial connection these rituals grant the Ritualist divine powers, summon angelic servants to do her bidding, and open the gates of the heavens themselves. Martyrs use these rituals to summon powerful allies when outnumbered and to gain celestial power from the gods.

Minor:
Adept:
Moderate:
Major:
Supreme:

Spiritualism Rituals

Temporis

"It is true that time waits for no man…of its own accord, that is." -Dorian Rike, Sandman

Rituals of temporis alter the flow of time to create a host of impossible effects. Through this alteration of the sands of time these rituals change the speed of time, age targets with but a though, and ever rewrite history. Sandmen use these rituals to stop their foes in their tracks and erase misfortune for themselves and their allies.

Minor:
Adept: Slowing the Hand’s Progression
Moderate:
Major:
Supreme:

Temporis Rituals

Slowing the Hand’s Progression
Time, Adept
Target: All allies within 60ft
Effect: When you perform this ritual, all allies within 60ft gain an additional move action each round for the duration of this ritual.
Extension I: All allies within 60ft gain a +2 Time bonus to AC for the duration of this Ritual
Extension II: When you perform this ritual, all allies within 60ft gain an additional standard action each round for the duration of this ritual. This replaces the additional move action previously granted.
Extension III: All allies within 60ft gain a +4 Time bonus to AC for the duration of this Ritual.
Extension IV: When you perform this ritual, all allies within 60ft gain an additional full-round action each round for the duration of this ritual. This replaces the additional standard action previously granted.
Duration: Casting + 2 rounds
Saving Throw: None

Warding

"Do not worry yourselves. While you stand by my side, no harm shall befall you." -Mira Niliman, Martyr

Rituals of warding bring strong magic to bear against all sources of harm. Using great defensive power these rituals create impenetrable shields, deflects arrows, and even render the user immortal. Martyrs use these rituals to protect their allies and keep the innocent from harm.

Minor: Binding the East Wind
Adept:
Moderate:
Major:
Supreme:

Warding Rituals

Binding the East Wind
Elementalism/Warding, Minor
Area: 10ft radius
Range: 10ft radius centered on the Ritualist
Effect: When you perform this ritual the very winds swirl about you, creating an impenetrable barrier. All creatures within the area of effect gain a +5 bonus to Armor Class against projectile attacks coming from outside the area of effect.
Extension I: The winds pick up pace, deflecting projectiles of all shapes and sizes. All projectile attacks of under siege weapon size targeting something within the area of effect suffer a 50% miss chance. Any creature attempting to enter the area of effect must make a Fortitude save or be thrown backwards 1d4x5ft and knocked prone.
Extension II: The winds continue to grow, lifting up rubble and creating a nightmarish vortex. Any creature within a 20ft radius of the caster but not also within a 10ft radius takes 3d6 points of bludgeoning damage a round from the high speed winds.
Extension III: The winds reach a truly impossible speed, and your control of them becomes supernatural. All ranged attacks initiating outside the 10ft area of effect that would target a creature or object within the 10ft area of effect instead rebound on the attacker. This includes all ranged touch spells. The Ritualist makes an attack roll with an attack bonus equal to his Ritualist level + his Charisma modifier to see if the rebound strikes the target. A failed attack roll means that the spell goes wild, missing everything.
Extension IV: The wind shield explodes outward, sending gale force winds in every direction. Everything inside a 30ft radius area of effect but outside the 10ft area of effect must make a Fortitude save or be thrown violently 2d6x5ft and fall prone. Creatures thrown in this manner take 1d6 damage per 10ft traveled. This cuts the ritual short, ending all effects instantly.
Duration: Casting + 2 rounds/Incanter level

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-11, 01:37 PM
Bump? ANYONE interested AT ALL?

lesser_minion
2009-05-11, 04:07 PM
I'll see what I can do to help, but I'm a little tied up in prelims at the moment, so it could be a while before I can get anything done.

I'd have thought this would attract more attention, so I guess the main problem is the time of year - most of the students have exams of some form to prepare, so they don't have anything like as much free time as normal.

I don't think afroakuma or Zeta Kai have any exam commitments at the moment though, but they have the excuse that all of their homebrewing awesome is going into VUACS.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-20, 10:07 AM
Yeah, they are kinda busy. *Le sigh*

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-05-20, 10:18 AM
Alright Gareth. I surrender.

Consider me metaphorically tied to a chair until I come up with some more ritual ideas. :smallbiggrin:

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-20, 10:20 AM
BWAHAHAHAHA, AHAHAHA -

I mean, erm, thanks ^_^ Glad to have you aboard!

lesser_minion
2009-05-21, 09:27 AM
This will probably need more work than the average 3.0 monster manual, but:

Light of the Immortals
Radiance, Moderate
Incanting Time:1 full round
Extension:+1 round
Target: See Text
Range: Personal and 60ft.
Duration: Casting + 4 rounds

Effect: On beginning this ritual, the martyr is shrouded in a brilliant silvery light which protects her from harm. She gains a +2 Deflection bonus to AC. Additionally, she gains 2d6 temporary hitpoints per level. If these temporary hitpoints are exhausted, the casting and effects of this spell both cease immediately and completely, but the martyr does not take the excess damage.

The sacred light also illuminates clearly all within 60ft of the incanter, with a further 60ft radius of shadowy illumination.

Extension I: The light grows in intensity and begins to protect your allies from harm. Damage dealt to allies within range of the spell is now subtracted from the incanter's temporary hitpoints instead of their own.

Extension II: As the light grows in intensity, all those allied to you gain renewed hope, wiping away all trace of fear or despair. Their blades seem charged with the essence of the sun itself. Allies within the radius of bright illumination provided by this ritual now gain a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, and may freely convert any weapon damage they deal into fire damage.

Extension III: The light is dazzling in its intensity, but does nothing to impair the vision of the righteous. Foes suffer a 20% miss chance when attempting to target anyone within the radius of bright illumination provided by this ritual. Anything standing within 60ft of the incanter is now considered to be standing in the direct natural light of the midday sun. Creatures harmed by natural sunlight suffer harm as normal due to this.

Additionally, all undead and fungoid creatures suffer 10d6 points of damage per round while in the radius of bright illumination provided by this ritual.

Extension IV: The ritual concludes in an explosion of holy power. All enemies within 180ft are blinded and take damage equal to the temporary hitpoints remaining to the spell. Those outside of the actual range of the spell receive a fortitude save to negate the Blindness effect and halve the damage. This concludes the ritual, ending all effects immediately.

Note that creatures blinded by this spell remain so for d4 rounds, and are dazzled for 1 round after that.

I haven't really written it with much consideration to balance, but the amount of time necessary to get to the SoL save hopefully counts in its favour, as does the ease with which the ritual can be forced to a close.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-05-21, 09:50 PM
Looks pretty good, Lesser Minion! A few problems with it, and some concerns as to the power of the ritual (as you'll see, I took inspiration from part of it for a Supreme Ritual, making me think it needs to be toned down considerably), but it's a great start. I'll take a closer look later, but I'd love to see some more stuff from you!

That said...ever wonder what a 20th level Martyr is capable of? Well, Standing Before the Gates of Death, for one. One woman, keeping a small army alive against overwhelming odds with her sacrifice alone. What could possibly emphasize the Martyr more? :smallbiggrin:

(And yes, this ritual is 3 pages long in Microsoft Word...and it's draft 1. I already know some major revisions it is going to recieve.)

Stand Before the Gates of Death

You stand feet apart, arms and head rising towards the sky. As you spread your arms, the earth behind you splits asunder, and the phantom image of a gate of blacked iron rises from the ground, accompanied by wisps of dark mists and the haunting moans of souls departed. It begins to open, smoke billowing out from within it, but you bring your arms together in front of you, and the dark gates explode with brilliant light, turning the black metal to shining gold. As your palms meet, the radiance of the noonday sun engulfs you, and the gate slams shut with a thunderous crash before erupting in a blinding flash of light. Phantom chains forged with runes of warding bind your allies to your physical form, and soon your presence takes on a radiant glow which rapidly spreads out, infusing the ground itself with your hallowed might.

Radiance, Supreme
Target: Up to five allies within Medium range (100ft +10ft/Incanter Level) (see text)
Area: 100ft radius, 1,000ft radius, or 1-mile radius centered on you (see text)
Effect: When you perform this ritual, you place your immortal soul before the gates to the underworld, and, through sheer force of will, keep those you care about from entering. You may target up to five allies within Medium range with this effect. You gain 100 temporary Hit Points per ally targeted with this ritual, and Fast Healing 4 per ally targeted with this ritual (both the temporary Hit Points and the Fast Healing stack with themselves, so a Ritualist targeting 4 allies gains 400 temporary Hit Points and Fast Healing 16). For the duration of this ritual, any damage dealt to the targeted allies is negated completely, as are the effects of any attacks, extraordinary abilities, spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. If an effect would have normally dealt damage an ally, you take half that damage instead. If an effect would bestow some other condition on an ally, it instead bestows that condition on you (if a saving throw would be allowed to prevent the effect, you may attempt a saving throw as per normal). In effect, enemies cannot harm or slay allies within range while you are still alive. If you are slain, this ritual ends immediately. If an ally wanders outside of Medium range, the effect ends for that ally (resulting in a loss of 100 temporary Hit Points and 4 fewer points of Fast Healing). At the end of the ritual, all temporary Hit Points vanish. As an additional, instantaneous effect, each enemy within 100ft must succeed on a Fortitude save or be stunned for 1d4 rounds and permanently blinded from the brilliance of the conjured light. Creatures immune to blinding automatically make this save. The stunning and blinding effect occurs only in the first round the ritual is performed.
At the end of the ritual’s duration, you must sacrifice a week of your life to guide the souls of the dead through the underworld as payment for your power.
Extension I: Drawing strength from your allies, you brace your spirit for any assault, becoming an impassable obstacle to those trying to break your wards. For the duration of this ritual, any time you would make a saving throw you may re-roll any number of times up to a number equal to the number of allies under the effects of this ritual (for example, if four allies are affected, the Ritualist gets up to four re-rolls on each saving throw she makes).
At the end of the ritual’s duration, you must sacrifice a month of your life to guide the souls of the dead through the underworld as payment for your power.
Extension II: At this stage of the ritual, the gates of death have been so severely barred that nothing can draw power from beyond the veil. For the duration of the ritual you gain immunity to all Necromantic spells and effects, as well as Ability Drain, Ability Damage, Negative Energy and Energy Drain. All Necromancy or Negative Energy spells or effects initiating within a 1,000ft radius of you are instantly negated, and all undead within the same radius must succeed at a Will save each round or be completely and irrevocably destroyed.
At the end of the ritual’s duration, you must sacrifice year of your life to guide the souls of the dead through the underworld as payment for your power.
Extension III: Your unyielding guard of the gates grants you the ability to turn aside those who would seek entrance. Any time during the duration of the ritual that a creature within a 1,000ft radius of you dies, you may choose one of the following options:
Acceptance: You allow the creature to pass through the gates into the afterlife.
Dismissal: You deny the creature entrance into death, cursing it to never find its final rest. Its spirit is forced to forever wander between life and the afterlife, neither living, dead, or undead. No resurrection magic can effect it until its soul is recovered, which nothing short of immensely powerful magic can accomplish (divine intervention, or the supreme diabolism ritual Pay the Ultimate Price are examples of magic that can overcome this effect).
Revive: You turn the creature back, infusing its mortal body with the spark of life once more. Its wounds heal, any lost limbs regenerate, and it returns to life with half its normal maximum Hit Points. If the body was completely destroyed, this effect cannot be chosen, and the creature must either be accepted or dismissed.
At the end of the ritual’s duration, you must sacrifice seven years of your life to guide the souls of the dead through the underworld as payment for your power.
Extension IV: You sacrifice yourself for the greatest good imaginable: sealing the gates of death. A permanent ward is placed upon a 1-mile radius of your current location. From this day forward until the end of time, no living creature can suffer or die on this ground unless your spirit allows it (in which case you may accept, dismiss, or revive the creature as if Extension III were still in effect). All Ability Damage, Ability Drain, Energy Drain, Death Effects, and damage taken within the area is negated immediately: a creature may be engulfed by a dragon’s breath or stride through lava, but neither will harm it in the slightest. A powerful blow might knock a creature down, but it will deal no damage nor leave any outward sign: the only exception to this rule is if the creature initiating the effect has a Divine Rank of at least 1 (or greater than your Divine Rank, if you have one). Additionally, all living creatures within the area gain Regeneration 10 for as long as they remain in the affected area (this Regeneration is overcome by Divine weapons only). Finally, all Necromancy or Negative Energy spells or effects initiating within the area are instantly negated, and all undead within the area must succeed at a Will save each round or be completely and irrevocably destroyed.
Upon reaching this extension, you are instantly slain and your body is consumed in golden fire, ending all effects of the ritual except for this effect, which has takes place instantly and endures forever. No mortal magic can return you to life or dispel this effect, as your spirit continues to guard the area for eternity, allowing you to decide which creatures may live and which must die on your hallowed ground.
Duration: Casting + 2/rounds Incanter Level or instantaneous (see text).
Saving Throw: See Text

lesser_minion
2009-05-22, 03:15 AM
For something gained at 10th level, I didn't think 10 temporary hp/level was too bad, although I might remove the rule that adds a few extra each round.

It's also a party buff - everyone has to share those temporary hitpoints, and unless she goes for a Payment, she is going to have to wait to get the nastier effects of the ritual. At 10th level, 100 temporary hitpoints might absorb a couple of hits, but it isn't exactly the be-all and end-all of party buffing.

That said, I'm changing some of the benefits provided by the spell, and I may just remove the shared temporary hitpoints altogether. It no longer makes as much sense.