PDA

View Full Version : [Item] Broken Band

PolkaBear
2006-08-13, 02:30 AM
Item: Broken Band

This ring appears to be a ring of regeneration. It has been badly damaged, unfortunately, to the extent that the band has snapped. A small spark occasionally appears in the gap.

Use:
Upon equipping the ring, the character must make a will save (DC 15). If the character is unaware of the ring's effects, a failed save means that the character puts on the ring for one minute only (effects described below); otherwise, the character "chickens out" and refuses to put on the ring.

A successful save allows the character to put on the ring, giving the character a 1 4 H.P./min regeneration rate for a number of minutes equal to the Margin of Success on the will save. However, during this time the character is wracked with pain, body spasming; any will saves or concentration checks are automatically failed during this time span and the character suffers a -10 to will saves. At the end of this time span, the character's endurance breaks and the character removes the ring.

Upon removing the ring, the character must make a fortitude save (DC 10 6). A failed save means that the character falls unconscious for d8 minutes. A critical failure means that the character also will refuse to wear the ring willingly ever again.

If this ring is slipped on the finger of an unconscious & dying comrade, the regenerative powers of the ring will temporarily halt the dying process (i.e., H.P. loss). However, the additional stress placed on the injured person's body will cause that person to drop to -10 H.P. (i.e., "dead") within d6 (4d10)+5 rounds unless the ring is removed or the character regains consciousness.

Value: 1000 GP

Fizban
2006-08-13, 07:33 AM
Awesome idea. Well, with the multiple saves/unconciousness penalty/time it takes to work, all I can say is it should probly be really cheap. I'd say maybe 1,000 at most, which is what I believe a 50 charge CLW item would be, usable by anyone. Unless you meant 1hp/hit die/min, which would be more.

PolkaBear
2006-08-13, 10:24 PM
On a slightly related note:

What happens if one were to slip an actual ring of regeneration onto the finger of a unconscious & dying comrade? I haven't looked into this. Anyone else know?

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-13, 11:03 PM
A ring of regeneration says that it only regenerates damage taken while wearing the ring. It's really not that good of an item.

kailin
2006-08-14, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna have to say that, since you can't wear this ring in combat or when you have something else to do because it cripples you, it's much worse than a healing potion.

Also, what the hell? Slip it onto the finger of a dying person and it stops the dying process but kills them as a side-effect? Reminds me of that old joke of applying a tourniquet to the neck.

Finally, make this a generally available magic item and players will abuse the rings ability to force failures of will saves and concentration checks. I can imagine one PC mage handing the ring onto someone while another readies dominate person (or whatever).

It's neat, but make it a cursed item and take out the margin of success bit. Just say it looks like a ring of regeneration but can't be removed without remove curse, heals 2 hp per round, but sends wracking pains through your body whenever it heals you, imposing a -10 penalty on concentration checks and will saves.

PolkaBear
2006-08-14, 03:23 PM
1. Good point, kailin. Perhaps this restriction (which I originally intended, but forgot to include) will help temper the abuse:

"Only one attempt to equip this ring can be made an hour."

If one were to dominate the individual and then order that the ring be worn, only one attempt could be made in an hour. The dominated (N)PC would still have to make the will save to put it on. Of course, if the (N)PC doesn't know the effects of the ring, s/he will only have it on for a minute. Sure, there's a lot that can be done in a minute; but it's less than an indefinitely extended effect.

Besides, there's this from the SRD:

Subjects resist this control, and any subject forced to take actions against its nature receives a new saving throw with a +2 bonus. Obviously self-destructive orders are not carried out. Once control is established, the range at which it can be exercised is unlimited, as long as you and the subject are on the same plane. You need not see the subject to control it.
It would surely be "actions against its nature" to make a creature put on a ring which has such a painful effect. It would seem reasonable to add the +2 to the DC of the will save needed just to put the ring on. (Remember that a failure means that the character does not equip the ring.)

2. Regarding a dying comrade:

Also, what the hell? Slip it onto the finger of a dying person and it stops the dying process but kills them as a side-effect? Reminds me of that old joke of applying a tourniquet to the neck.

True; but it doesn't necessarily kill the character if aided in enough time. I can envision a scenario in which the character with the healing skills/spells can not come to the "rescue" of a fallen comrade in time. In such a situation, the ring--like a tourniquet--may be a better stopgap measure than allowing the character to bleed to death before help can arrive. Remember, also, that the character has a 10% chance of stabilizing on his/her own; this ring extends the opportunity for that.

You're right that healing potions are a better option for a conscious character. This ring isn't intended to be a replacement; it's merely an interesting bit o' treasure.

3. Changes motivated by your criticisms (especially kailin's):

= I've increased the benefit of the ring, from +1/min to +4/min.

= I've decreased the DC of the fortitude save needed to prevent unconsciousness

= I've increased the number of rounds available to the dying person from 1d6 to (4d6)+5. The character has anywhere from 9 to 29 rounds (almost three minutes) to be stabilized, instead of a maximum of 9.

= Changed it from an automatic failure of will throws while worn to -10 to will throws. (Automatic failure of concentration checks remains.)

Tack122
2006-08-14, 11:45 PM
accually, that lowers to -10 thing means that the char would be dead... ::)

PolkaBear
2006-08-15, 08:11 AM
accually, that lowers to -10 thing means that the char would be dead... ::)

The will save -10? Or the drop to -10 H.P.? If the latter, it was intentional.

drop to -10 H.P. (i.e., "dead")
If the former...*checks into it*...I'm not picking up on the flaw.

The biggest remaining flaw (or unanswered question) I see is: what happens when a dying person regains consciousness wearing the ring? I lean toward the following: "If the dying person revives, s/he removes the ring at the first opportunity with no fortitude save to remain conscious."

Tack122
2006-08-15, 05:42 PM
Now the use on a dieing person thingy works...