PDA

View Full Version : The Big Bang Theory

Lord Seth
2009-04-26, 04:51 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone else is a fan of this show. It's become one of my favorite shows on TV, with not only lots of jokes, but lots of good jokes. And of course, I actually get a lot of the "nerd" jokes in it.

Oregano
2009-04-26, 04:53 PM
I've seen a few episodes of it, it's alright but I wouldn't really say I'm a fan yet. My favourite moment is the small cameo by Charlie Sheen... was fantastic.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-04-26, 05:19 PM
Euch, canned laughter. This show might be OK without it, if a bit OTT

Lord Seth
2009-04-26, 05:27 PM
Euch, canned laughter. This show might be OK without it, if a bit OTTI'm pretty certain that it's filmed in front of an actual studio audience.

T-O-E
2009-04-26, 05:55 PM
It's still annoying.

Wraithy
2009-04-26, 06:01 PM
I think the show is great. As for the laughter: Its in most sitcoms in my country, I've just learned to tune it out.

Avilan the Grey
2009-04-27, 01:25 AM
Love the show although I find myself recognizing parts of myself way too often.

Even bought the first season, now.

Cúchulainn
2009-04-27, 01:34 AM
I don't like it. Then again I hated The Office.

Avilan the Grey
2009-04-27, 02:33 AM

Well I hated the office too. Not sure what that has to do with BBT though.

ghost_warlock
2009-04-27, 03:57 AM
I rather like this show and picked up the first season on DVD. :smallsmile:

Incidentally, I liked The Office, too, but my girlfriend hated it so it was a no-go at our place. :smallwink:

Kobold-Bard
2009-04-28, 03:32 AM
I really liked the first series. It was original and actually funny. Maybe I think this because I'm a creepy nerd, but either way it's still good.

The second series though I'm not so sure about. It's still funny but they've started doing the Heroes thing and making stuff really over the top. An example being Raj's inability to talk to girls, it used to be funny but now all he needs is half a beer and he's fine.

But as I said I'm a mega nerd, so stuff like this bothers me. [/rambling]

Avilan the Grey
2009-04-28, 04:03 AM
The second series though I'm not so sure about. It's still funny but they've started doing the Heroes thing and making stuff really over the top. An example being Raj's inability to talk to girls, it used to be funny but now all he needs is half a beer and he's fine.[/rambling]

I don't see that as weird. It is purely a mental thing; he is using the drink as his security blanket. It has nothing to do with him really being drunk, not after the first time with the grasshopper, it is about him "knowing" that he is "drunk" and therefore the mental block disappears. It is actually quite realistic in a funny way.

As for the rest of season 2: I like it just as much as season 1. I have encountered other people that have said the quality has gone down, but I have not noticed it (it might just be that people expect something other than more-of-the-same, I don't know).

Om
2009-04-28, 07:38 AM
Never took to it. The first series wasn't bad but then every episode suddenly seemed to revolve around that annoying genius guy. 'Oh look, I'm too smart to comprehend everyday social norms and completely lack a sense of humour'. Oh, my sides

Closet_Skeleton
2009-04-28, 10:21 AM

My dad hated the Office (uk version) but likes Big Bang Theory.

Szilard
2009-04-28, 06:14 PM
I like this show. That's all I really need to say.:smalltongue:

Zocelot
2009-04-28, 06:20 PM
Never took to it. The first series wasn't bad but then every episode suddenly seemed to revolve around that annoying genius guy. 'Oh look, I'm too smart to comprehend everyday social norms and completely lack a sense of humour'. Oh, my sides

Yeah, I feel like all the characters are too one-sided. In addition to the above there is the "can't talk to girls" guy, the "horny in a stupid way" guy and the "also can't talk to girls, but lives across the hall from one" guy.

This caused me to stop watching for a few months, but I've recently started watching again and I think they are much better fleshed out now.

Haruki-kun
2009-04-28, 06:42 PM
I love this show. Also, what's wrong with recorded laughter?

sealemon
2009-04-28, 06:49 PM
I like the show a lot. I appreciate nerd humor that's actually written by nerds. Between this show and Chuck's Jeff and Lester (Jeffster rocks my face), I am a happy nerd guy.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-04-30, 03:50 AM
I don't like it. It's way too corny and not in a good way. It would also help if non-nerd characters were written by non-nerd writers.

Saw 8 or 9 episodes and didn't watch it after.

One really big downside of nerd humour is that in 9 out of 10 cases it looks like someone is trying too hard to make a joke and without the body language/tone of voice that makes it sarcasm or exaggeration funny (a la Jerry Seinfeld). So it's basically mildly funny jokes that COULD be funny if done properly but 9 out of 10 times they aren't.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-05-02, 11:36 AM
I really enjoy it. I find it a refreshing new premise in a sea of sitcoms that all seem like something I've seen before.

Lupy
2009-05-05, 07:57 PM
It's great! :smallbiggrin:

Even if my teachers call me Sheldon now...