PDA

View Full Version : [Item] Stone Soldier

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-14, 01:38 PM
A stone soldier appears as a statue somewhere between 3 1/2 inches and 5 inches tall, typically made of obsidian, granite, or marble; the soldier is usually garbed in armor and is armed with a weapon of some kind, typically a sword and shield.

When the soldier is placed on the ground and the command word spoken, it rises to full height and turns to flesh, fighting the enemies of the one who spoke the command word, or obeying other telepathic commands. If it is dropped or thrown and the command word spoken, it starts prone; carefully placing it in an adjacent square is a move action that allows it to start standing.

A number of types of Stone Soldier exist, defining the race, class and level of the Soldier. Fighters are most common, followed by Barbarians and Rangers; a few are multiclass, with the most common combinations being Fighter/Rogue or Fighter/Scout. More than a few are single-class rogues. Almost all are human. They are usually 9th-level characters, but lower and higher level Stone Soldiers are common.

A Stone Soldier can only be animated once per day, and serves until another command word is given, causing it to return to its statue form. If the Stone Soldier is destroyed in stone form or killed while animate, the item becomes worthless.

Caster Level: 9th. Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Dominate Person, Flesh to Stone, Repair Critical Damage, Shrink Item, Stone to Flesh. Cost to create: 43,560 GP + 3,485 EXP + Cost of equipment. Time to create: 88 days.

The character the Stone Soldier is to become must be present for the creation (although having them petrified meets this requirement). [Edited: The character becomes part of the item.] Creating or using a Stone Soldier is an evil act, [Edited: as the Soldier is a petrified person enslaved in the creation of the item, not a magical creation].

On the open market, their value is 87,120 GP, plus the value of any equipment, plus 1,000 GP times the square of the level of the occupant, where legal. Where illegal, prices for these items may rise as much as 100%.

If the dispelled, the Stone Soldier is freed of the Dominate effect for the duration the item is suppressed for, and will usually attack its former master. Area dispells do not have this effect, nor do dispels while it is shrunken, only targeted dispels on the active soldier. [Edited: Mage's Disjunction permanently frees the Soldier]

An Identify spell merely reveals the item's function, not its means (it does not reveal that the Soldier is a real person, under mind control). An Analyze Dweomer, however, will.

Hellseeker
2006-08-14, 01:50 PM
Very nice, but it never explicitly says whether the soldiers are in fact petrified people, only that the person it's based on must be present for the creation of the item. Typo?

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-14, 01:55 PM
I've made a few edits to imply it more clearly; I'm not going to state the obvious that directly unless I have to.

martyboy74
2006-08-14, 01:57 PM
I've made a few edits to imply it more clearly; I'm not going to state the obvious that directly unless I have to.
You really should; there're are a lot of items that animate that aren't real people.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-14, 02:47 PM
Interesting point. I'll add it in directly, and get rid of any ambiguity.

Hellseeker
2006-08-14, 03:52 PM
I can totally see some evil child prodigy with a collection of these guys, looking to find more interesting specimens...