PDA

View Full Version : Taunt [Extraordinary Ability/Feats]

Bakkan
2006-08-14, 02:28 AM
Here's my first attempt at creating some new game content of my own. Please give your honest feedback, I can use all the help I can get.

My intention in creating this Extroardinary Ability was to give tanking classes (fighters, barbarians, and paladins) a way to focus the attention of enemies onto themselves, and keep it off of the weaker members of the group, like wizards, sorcerers, and rogues. Also, I wanted to make Charisma a more valuable ability for these classes. All in all, I think that this ability is a good way for warriors to take control of the battle and provide more oportunities for the rest of the team to do their job without having to worry too much about taking damage.

Taunt (Extraordinary Ability)
When using this ability, you attempt to gain an enemy's attention by taunting it, verbally, somatically, or otherwise. If your attempt succeeds, the targeted foe will attack you exclusively for a short time.

Taunting is a standard action that provokes an Attack of Opportunity. During your action, you designate an opponent to taunt. You must explain how you are making him want to attack you. Usually this can be accomplished using verbal insults. However, if you are not or cannot speak in a language that your enemy can understand, verbal taunts generally will not work. In this case, you must rely on other means of angering your opponent, such as making rude gestures or throwing something at it. In these cases, the DM decides whether your action is irritating enough to provoke the enemy to attack you.
Your enemy then makes a Will save to ignore your taunts. The DC for this save is 10 + your class level + your Charisma modifier. If your enemy makes his Will check, he is unaffected by the taunt and acts normally. If your enemy fails his Will check, he is angered at you for one round. On his next action, he will attempt to attack you by the quickest means possible. If he only has melee attacks, he will move within range, if possible, and attack you. If he is a spellcaster, he may either cast a spell at you or make a melee attack. Note that taunt does not prevent a spellcasting foe from casting a cone, spread, blast, or other area effect spell that may harm your allies, as long as the attack is centered on you. While your enemy is angered at you, he may not make any attacks of opportunity against anyone except you. After one round, the taunting effect fades, and the creature acts normally.
Taunt does not work against sleeping or fascinated creatures, creatures without a listed Intelligence score, or on any other creature incapable of hearing/seeing you.

Taunt is a Class ability for figthers, barbarians, and paladins that they recieve at level 3. Every four levels thereafter (levels 7, 11, 15, and 19) the warrior may use Taunt to provoke an additional enemy, up to a maximum of 5 enemies at level 19.

Improved Taunt
Prerequisites: Taunt
Benefit: With this feat, a warrior may Taunt as a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity
Normal: Without this feat, Taunt is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity
Special: A fighter may select Improved Taunt as one of his fighter bonus feats

Lasting Taunt
Prerequisites: Cha 14, Improved Taunt, Taunt, base attack bonus +6
Benefit: With this feat, a warrior's Taunt lasts a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier
Normal: Without this feat, Taunt lasts only one round
Special: A fighter may select Lasting Taunt as one of his fighter bonus feats

chaosbrand
2006-08-14, 06:10 AM
If I remember correctly, there's a feat that does almost the same thing, but I forgot in which book it is located.

Fizban
2006-08-14, 06:31 AM
My guess would be CAv. Kender in the DragonlanceCS get taunting as well.

Beelzebub1111
2006-08-14, 08:15 AM
My guess would be CAv. Kender in the DragonlanceCS get taunting as well.
actualy everyone gets taunting (it's an alternate use for bluff) but kender just get a bonus on it. I never liked kender though, more of a Gully Dwarf man myself.

martyboy74
2006-08-14, 09:55 AM
Hmm, this sounds kinda like knight's challenge.