PDA

View Full Version : Baking

Jibar
2009-04-28, 03:03 PM
I am making a cake.
This is the first time I have ever made a cake.
It is... surreal.
But something strikes me about it, and that is that it is a surprisingly time consuming activity. I've invested about two hours now into this cake including time preparing. And I've still got stuff to do.
Does anyone here bake regularly or enjoy baking? Because I seriously want to know whether it takes you this long all the time and whether it ever struck you as a little weird to be spending so long on such a temporary item. I'm investing all sorts of love into this cake, but it seems like rearing a pet whose lifespan is three days. Is it worth the emotional investment?

Ps. Eggs are weird.

Kaelaroth
2009-04-28, 03:11 PM
I love to bake. I loves it. And do so regularly enough, and can answer questions, and such. And am pleased you like it.

Coidzor
2009-04-28, 03:12 PM
Hmm, it generally takes me about... 10-15 minutes to prepare a cake and put it into the oven, longer if I'm vacillating over what kind of cake to make or I have to realize my pans are dirty with the cake already battered and begin furiously cleaning... (Of course, if I'm making a cake it's usually a single layer sheet cake with very basic frosting. ...I'm trying to remember how I made those pineapple upside down cakes and failing in retrospect, so it's been awhile since I've done any...haha :smallfrown:)

What's so weird about eggs? Other than that they're so integral to baking?

V: I'm still not following... is it that they're half/most of an embryonic chicken and yet they contain all these things and do so much?

Or what we do to obtain them?:smallconfused:

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-28, 03:13 PM
Eggs are indeed weird, once you really think about them.
I love baking.
The only thing I love more than baking, is eating what I bake. It tastes so much better then its your own.

WalkingTarget
2009-04-28, 03:15 PM
I know that Vaire bakes a lot, but I haven't seen her in the playground recently. I might point her in this direction next time I see her.

I don't bake anything myself, but I enjoy the end results of those who do whenever I can. :smallbiggrin:

thubby
2009-04-28, 03:19 PM
from brain to oven baking takes me 10-20 minutes, but i usually just bake square cakes and ice them, no fancy stuff.

and yes eggs are down right bizarre.

valadil
2009-04-28, 03:21 PM
I don't bake much, but I do a lot of other cooking. Two factors will make it seem like less work as you go on.

1. You will be able combine smaller steps as you practice. What I mean by this is that right now 2 eggs means finding 2 eggs, opening them, not spilling shell, disposing of shell, whisking eggs. Once you internalize that process you will think of it as a single step.

2. You will learn what order works best for you so you can do tasks in parallel. I make orange flavored chicken on a weekly basis. Over time I've learned to do things like start with rice (because this part takes the longest and I can safely forget about it while doing other things) and then defrost chicken (because while the chicken is defrosting I have just enough time to make sauce). When you can mentally sort out these things without even thinking about them, you'll be way more efficient in the kitchen.

Fostire
2009-04-28, 03:22 PM
I've never made a cake but I've made simpler stuff like cookies and it takes at least 1 hour, or more depending on quantity, so I suppose something like a cake would take 2+ hours.

Also, I think it's much more worth it if you cook for someone else.

Mauve Shirt
2009-04-28, 03:27 PM
My favorite cake (Game of Life cake, in the cookbook thread) takes like 15 minutes to prepare and 30 to bake. Well, assuming you have the ingredients assembled, it requires brewed and cooled coffee so you have to do that.

wadledo
2009-04-28, 03:28 PM
Hey, don't mock the egg.
I have chickens, and I bet you they think you look weird.

wxdruid
2009-04-28, 05:56 PM
I enjoy baking with chocolate and adding in more chocolate than is required. :smallbiggrin: I take the results to work and usually it's gone in 1/2 hour or less.

Alteran
2009-04-28, 06:33 PM
I used to bake quite a bit, and I did enjoy it. There's something really nice about being able to make cake and cookies for yourself, never being at the mercy of fickle bakeries. :smalltongue:

I haven't baked in a while, I should.

golentan
2009-04-28, 06:59 PM
Baking varies: Simple stuff never takes me long. 10-15 minutes to get brownies or flat cakes into the oven. We have a very good but moderately complex cookie recipe that takes more time (20-30 minutes), but is worth it. The longest project I ever had was a 3 tiered round cake, at about 2 hours total. But getting everything in the oven still only took about 45 minutes. (I'm not counting sitting around waiting for things to finish/cool)

Canadian
2009-04-28, 08:48 PM
The cake is a lie.

Actually I can prep a cake in less than ten minutes including washing everything and putting the cake in the oven. It's just because you've never done it before. If you do it a few times you'll get really fast.

Copacetic
2009-04-28, 08:53 PM
I like baking every now and then. Never took me two hours though.

Jibar
2009-04-29, 11:48 AM
Well, apparently I just take forever to bake. Oh well.
Anyway, everybody absolutely loved the cake today and my Philosophy teacher was so happy with it.
And because my need to bake hasn't disappeared I'm going to make some muffins. And if I can work out how to make the ears and tails, I'll make Cat-Muffins.

I find it kinda funny after all this time as a Cat-Muffin, I'm only now starting to bake.

Linkavitch
2009-04-29, 11:57 AM
I am well known in my social circle for my extra-delicious brownies. Apparently, everyone thinks I have some sort of uber-recipe for them but it's actually just brownies-from-a-box with chocolate/mint/peanut butter/butterscotch/whatever chips in them.

wxdruid
2009-04-29, 12:27 PM
Yep, I agree, adding extra chips to a brownie recipe always makes it better. Plus I cook it for the shortest time recommended, leaving it still soft and gooey and ultra tasty.

Fostire
2009-04-29, 02:20 PM
Well, apparently I just take forever to bake. Oh well.
Anyway, everybody absolutely loved the cake today and my Philosophy teacher was so happy with it.
And because my need to bake hasn't disappeared I'm going to make some muffins. And if I can work out how to make the ears and tails, I'll make Cat-Muffins.

I find it kinda funny after all this time as a Cat-Muffin, I'm only now starting to bake.

For the cat ears marzipan might work but I've never used marzipan so I haven't got the slightest idea of how to do it. Another option would be to just attach an ear-shaped piece of cardboard to a toothpick and stick it in the muffin.

Jibar
2009-04-29, 02:44 PM
For the cat ears marzipan might work but I've never used marzipan so I haven't got the slightest idea of how to do it. Another option would be to just attach an ear-shaped piece of cardboard to a toothpick and stick it in the muffin.

Bassetking once used cardboard ears. It works, but I want to make something completely edible to share with my friends.
The idea of marzipan however is not one I thought of. Hmmm...

Thajocoth
2009-04-29, 04:37 PM
I'm not a big fan of food. I find the whole concept odd and gross. I'd give it up completely if it weren't for the whole "death" thing that'd happen afterward... So I generally try to avoid baking as much as possible. This results in most of my food involving boiling water... And even that takes longer to prepare than it does to eat, and I hate that fact.

But...

I do enjoy certain things, which is even weirder to me. I don't mind making them as much (as long as I haven't given myself pain by waiting too long to eat like I so often do). I even have a breadmaker for this purpose. I don't often make bread... But it's great for mixing the dough for pizza or cinnamon rolls. I have a pizza stone so I can make good pizza in an ordinary oven. It takes forever to make these things... Especially cinnamon rolls...

I need a good pizza dough recipe though... The ones I try never come out quite right. My cinnamon rolls, however, are on par with Cinnabon.

I'm not going to admit I ever enjoy baking these things, even to myself, because it's food related, but I'll say that sometimes... I don't always mind it. (And even that much is honestly a lot for me to admit.)

It always takes me a long time though... Over an hour for pizza... More for cinnamon rolls. I see the people in the pizza places I go to take about 10 minutes to make a pie, and I saw someone once at Cinnabon making rolls there, and they took even less than that... Though, both had already made their dough separately. I guess most of the time in these items is actually spent on the dough.

Totally Guy
2009-04-29, 04:56 PM
I need to do some cake baking, I'm really in the mood for it.

I like to follow a blog called Cake Wrecks to look out for mistakes to avoid that professionals seem to make.

I mean, just have a look at this freaky thing (http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/01/why-suzy-needs-therapy.html)... :eek:

Crispy Dave
2009-04-29, 08:06 PM
I fail at baking...besides when said baking includes human parts.

I do love the end result