PDA

View Full Version : Peach my master mysteries

peacenlove
2009-04-30, 02:19 AM
Here are 2 paths of mysteries. The first one deals with the element of cold and the other is based actually on some spells in the spell compendium but i wanted to recieve critisism whether they are in line with other mysteries.
As a fan of the Descent of Shadows project (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74519) i have included in the spoiler blocks the relevant path masteries for those that are interested.
Note: I am using Pathfinder terminology in general. If any questions arise though i will be willing to answer them and clarify my mysteries in 3.5 terminology.
Note 2: more mysteries will come if those 2 paths are polished.

Grasp of Ice
Master, Darkness Borealis
Level/School: 7th/Evocation / Transmutation [Cold]
Range: Close (25 ft+5 ft/2 levels)
Target: 1 creature
Duration: 1 round / level
Saving Throw: Fortitude Partial, see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

Freezing shadows of the coldest reigns reach forth to grab your opponent.

Target creature suffers each round 1d6 / 2 caster levels cold damage (max 10d6) and 2 dexterity damage (a successful fortitude save negates the dexterity damage for that round only, the target must make a new save at the start of each of his turns).

In addition if the target fails on his fortitude save, he loses his move action for that round. If the affected creature reaches 0 or less hit points, or 0 dexterity he is turned into ice (treat as the flesh to stone spell, but ice instead of stone).

Frost Armor
Level/School: 8th/Evocation [Cold]
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 24 hours

Your skin takes on a pale reflection while you wade into combat. Confident on the protection that the hardest of ice grants you, you fear no blade, for those that harm you will be injured by a storm of ice shards.

You take half damage from fire effects (rounded down, minimum 0) and you gain an enchantment bonus to your natural armor equal to your caster level / 3 (maximum +7 at 21 caster level).

In addition you add your caster level to the DC of performing combat maneuvers against you (maximum of +20 bonus). This bonus doesn't stack with that granted from the freedom of movement spell or similar effects

Absolute Zero
Level/School: 9th/Transmutation (cold)
Range: Medium (100 ft+10 ft/level)
Area and Effect: 30 ft burst
Duration: 1 round / level
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

You summon a cold force in the chosen area so strong, that even the very air freezes.

The selected area freezes over and the air solidifies filling it instantly with ice. This has the following effects:

1)Creatures inside the area become encased in ice and begin to suffocate due to the lack of air. In addition they take 5d6 cold damage each round and are able to hack away at the ice surrounding them (see below). Creatures immune to cold are immune to this damage but not to the other effects of the spell.

2)Any sense, spell or effect requiring smell or sound cannot be used inside the area of the spell. Similarly creatures outside the effect cannot track or affect creatures within with these senses and vice versa. Furthermore they cannot cast spells with verbal components and are deafened while inside the area.

3)The area is filled with glacial ice so line of effect (but not line of sight) is blocked to those inside the glacial dome.

4)Due to the cramped spaces creatures inside lose their bonus (if any) to dexterity. Furthermore the ground is slippery ice forcing the creatures to make appropriate Acrobatics checks for movement.

5)In order to get free, creatures must hack away the ice surrounding them. The ice has 5 hit points per foot of thickness. Creatures can hit the ice in the area automatically. A 10-foot section of the area whose hit points drop to 0 is breached. If a creature tries to break through the wall with a single attack, the DC for the Strength check is 15 + (1/2 * caster level), maximum 28.

However if they breach the outer layer of the area they must make a reflex save in order to escape to an adjacent square or the surrounding air freezes and seals the hole (creating a 10-foot thick barrier) and they must again hack it apart.

Path Mastery (Darkness Borealis) (Master)
Embrace the Frost
You become as cold as the freezing darkness, as sturdy as the oldest ice.
Benefit: You completely ignore any damage or negative effects created by spells or effects with the cold descriptor.

You are similarly immune to the adverse planar effects of the Plane of Cold, Plane of Air and Plane of Water and can survive without trouble at any cold environment.

Furthermore you don't need to breathe and you become immune to stunning effects.

Magic Denial
Master, Shadow Arcana
Level/School: 7th/Abjuration

Shadows block any attempts of the target to affect or be affected by magic.

As per the Anti magic Ray spell (Spell Compendium).

Umbral Disruption
Master, Shadow Arcana
Level/School: 8th/Abjuration
Range: Close (25 ft+5 ft/2 levels)
Area and Effect: 1 creature
Duration: 1 round / 2 levels
Saving Throw: Will Negates
Spell Resistance: No

You dampen your opponent's ability to utilize magic.

Target takes a penalty to his caster level to all his spells, powers and spell like abilities equal to your caster level / 4 (maximum -5, minimum of 0 caster level, where the target loses the ability to cast spells altogether for the duration of the mystery), and a -2 penalty to the save DC of their spells, powers and spell like and supernatural abilities.

True Shadows Fade
Master, Shadow Arcana
Level/School: 9th/Abjuration

Calling on the ultimate power of shadows you rob from your target all traces of magic.

As per the Reaving Dispel spell (Spell Compendium) but the limit on the dispel check is +25 rather than +20.

In addition you may use this mystery with the counter spell action in order to counter spell spell like abilities in addition to spells. For that purpose treat them as arcane spells of a level equal to their normal spell level.

The normal rules for Reaving Dispel apply if the affected spell like ability is successfully countered.

Path Mastery (Shadow Arcana) (Master)
Something more than Arcanist
Magic becomes a liability rather than an advantage when opposed to your might.
Benefit: Whenever you successfully counter a spell or spell like ability you may choose to reflect it back to the caster. Only effects that can be affected by the spell turning spell can be reflected in this way.

In addition you may use a counter spell as an immediate action rather than a readied standard action. All other requirements must be met. This ability can be used a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Lastly you can qualify for the epic counter spell epic feat (Found in Players guide to faerun) by meeting only the minimum Spell craft skill ranks requirement and the Quicken Mystery and Combat Reflexes feats.

Realms of Chaos
2009-04-30, 06:43 PM
All things considered, a couple of great paths. I especially like the name darkness borealis. That is just plain cool.

CaBaaL
2010-02-08, 04:10 PM
shadows fade true is really great addition.

CaBaaL
2010-02-08, 04:15 PM
shadows fade true path mastery should made u able to counter SU abilities with it (only with fade true)

peacenlove
2010-02-08, 07:27 PM
shadows fade true path mastery should made u able to counter SU abilities with it (only with fade true)

While it is a good idea the mechanics behind this is a pain and it wouldn't be as strong as it sounds. First most supernatural abilities do not have spell or mystery equivalents. Second supernatural abilities (i am not sure about that though) cannot be identified by a spellcraft check (a crucial step towards counterspelling). Third they do not have a caster or spell level so you cant use true shadows fade (or any dispel magic mechanics), you need to use an ability with the same name (and that is problem 1).
The closest equivalent i can think is disrupting ongoing supernatural effects (like break enchantment does). Maybe you meant that?

Vauron
2010-02-08, 11:40 PM
Question: Why include the bit about not needing to breathing in the Darkness Borealis path mastery feat? The earliest you can get a ninth level mystery is level 17, so you'd just be 3 levels from getting it anyway. The main use I can see for that part of the feat is if you prestige out.

I do like the shadow arcana path mastery feat though, very nice for a shadowcaster built around counterspelling.

Zexion
2010-02-08, 11:48 PM
Sweet spells. Love 'em. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

peacenlove
2010-02-09, 02:47 AM
Question: Why include the bit about not needing to breathing in the Darkness Borealis path mastery feat? The earliest you can get a ninth level mystery is level 17, so you'd just be 3 levels from getting it anyway. The main use I can see for that part of the feat is if you prestige out.

I do like the shadow arcana path mastery feat though, very nice for a shadowcaster built around counterspelling.

Its only for flavor reasons. Also the descent of shadows project contains classes (such as the eventide magus) that can get 9th level mysteries and they still need to breath.

Zexion: Thank you :smallbiggrin:

CaBaaL
2010-02-09, 06:16 PM
ok my suggestions are:

-grasp of ice: as writen affects everything so i suggest fort/negates/each round the penalty to dex, cold damage could max at 10d6 maybe less if it is too powerfull
-frost armor: close range is a bit too much maybe adjasted or to 10ft is more apropriate also maybe add 1/round or reff for half for the damage.
-absolute zero: affected creatures can not cast spells with verbal have +10% failure (from deaf), to escape the mystery they have to roll fort saves every round and even so they take damage, it has no way (not even SR)to avoid the mystery, the Dc ro break it is high even for a frenzy berzerker (15+(at worst)16=31 str check),lose their bonus dex to AC, they have to roll acrobatics(balance in 3.5),do not have line of sight, the only way to escape is to brake it with str-check (the dc is a not-even-try for spellcasters,rogues), and unaffected creatures can not burn it/dispell it or heal the affected creatures. add dimentional anchor so they can not quicken-teleport outside and an untimagic field to remove freedom of movement.
-magic denial: imba addition
-umbral disruption: make it target one person and lower the duration to 1/2lvls
-true shadows fade: graet as it is

peacenlove
2010-02-10, 03:15 AM
ok my suggestions are:

-grasp of ice: as writen affects everything so i suggest fort/negates/each round the penalty to dex, cold damage could max at 10d6 maybe less if it is too powerfull
-frost armor: close range is a bit too much maybe adjasted or to 10ft is more apropriate also maybe add 1/round or reff for half for the damage.
-absolute zero: affected creatures can not cast spells with verbal have +10% failure (from deaf), to escape the mystery they have to roll fort saves every round and even so they take damage, it has no way (not even SR)to avoid the mystery, the Dc ro break it is high even for a frenzy berzerker (15+(at worst)16=31 str check),lose their bonus dex to AC, they have to roll acrobatics(balance in 3.5),do not have line of sight, the only way to escape is to brake it with str-check (the dc is a not-even-try for spellcasters,rogues), and unaffected creatures can not burn it/dispell it or heal the affected creatures. add dimentional anchor so they can not quicken-teleport outside and an untimagic field to remove freedom of movement.
-magic denial: imba addition
-umbral disruption: make it target one person and lower the duration to 1/2lvls
-true shadows fade: graet as it is

Thanks for the comments. :smallsmile:
I have made some corrections to the mysteries according to your comments. Check and tell me if you like them.