PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Homunculus Pack

Warclam
2009-04-30, 07:39 PM
OK, two questions here. I had an idea for a Warforged Artificer who used the Craft Homunculus class feature to create and fight with a pack of iron defenders.

The first question concerns the 4th Warforged Artificer substitution level. It gives the ability (Tools of War) to count craft reserve double when creating or enhancing constructs as well as heal them a little when infusing them, which would be completely perfect for the character, except that this alternative feature replaces Craft Homunculus. I was wondering about instead replacing the bonus feat gained by the Artificer at 4th level, so as to have both Craft Homunculus and Tools of War. Is that reasonable, or have I just nailed the reason they don't coexist in the first place?

Second, does anyone know any good ways to boost up these puppies, beyond the obvious steps of giving them new hit dice at every level and taking Improved Homunculus at level 6?

Salt_Crow
2009-04-30, 08:02 PM
I'm guessing you could take Craft Construct feat from MM to craft your homunculus.

Warclam
2009-04-30, 08:08 PM
Yeah, but that has two downsides: first, it delays building them until level 6 at the earliest, since Craft Magic Arms and Armor is a prerequisite for Craft Construct; this also pushes Improved Homunculus back to level 9. Second, and more important, Craft Homunculus allows you to upgrade your homunculi, whereas with Craft Construct, you have to make them as tough as they'll ever get when you first construct them. It's not only inefficient, but also distinctly un-pack leader-like, to just scrap them and build new ones when they become obsolete.

newbDM
2009-05-02, 04:54 PM
Well, level substitutions are supposed to have drawbacks to go along with their benefits. You can't have everything your way I guess the mentality would be.