PDA

View Full Version : [feat]Why has nobody done this before?

Winged One
2006-08-13, 02:02 AM
Redeemer
Prerequisite: Paladin level 1st
Benefit: You may associate with evil creatures without penalty, so long as you earnestly attempt to convince them to adopt a Good alignment, or, failing that, try to prevent them from harming innocents.

Elrosth
2006-08-13, 02:14 AM
But then where would they put the stick they've been keeping up there all this time?

Nice feat, I like it. Can you think of any more concrete mechanics for the conversion attempts?

Brickwall
2006-08-13, 02:16 AM
Change
Prerequisite: Having any vow, code, or guideline that forbids knowingly associating with Evil creatures.

It'd make the feat good for Exalted characters, I think.

InaVegt
2006-08-13, 06:56 AM
Ate Elrosth: Redeeming can be found in BoED

I like it but i'd change the guideline as Brickwall suggests

chaosbrand
2006-08-13, 06:58 AM
Yes, why hasn't anybody thought of this before? Brickwall's idea is good, so that you won't need to take a Paladin level just to get this if you have any other reason not to associate with evil creatures.

Matthew
2006-08-13, 08:41 AM
I imagine because it is an open invitation for some Munchkin(s) to associate a Paladin with Evil Characters within the 'rules', instead of roleplaying and relying on DM interpretation.
Problems are likely to arise when the Party Necromancer actually commits an 'Evil' deed in the Paladin's company, such as murdering an innocent or somesuch intolerable thing, and the Paladin has to decide how to respond.
Redemption is a long road and has to be taken willingly.

It is a fine idea, but should it be a Feat?

Grey Watcher
2006-08-13, 11:49 AM
Yeah, personally, I wouldn't make it a feat. I'd just talk to the GM out of game and attempt to negotiated somewhat relaxed rules for the Paladin's Code of Conduct, allowing him to associate with Evil creatures for the purposes of redeeming them, or at least being able to prevent or undo any wrongdoings they commit.

Frankly, if I were a GM, I'd be tempted to take away the Paladin's Detect Evil class ability (or, at the very least give it limited uses per day), so that it doesn't become a screen the player uses to pick and choose his encounters.

Winged One
2006-08-13, 11:56 AM
Well, I can't think of anything else that would work besides a feat. Oh, and new version...

Tolerate the Wicked[general]
Prerequisite: Having any vow, code, or guideline that forbids knowingly associating with Evil creatures.
Benefit: You may associate with evil creatures without penalty. You must still follow any other parts of your vow, code, or guideline. For example, Antimiko the paladin may be in an adventuring party with Ohcrapitshim the evil rogue, possibly in order to keep an eye on him or to convince him to change his ways, or for any other reason that does not violate her code of conduct, but she must still punish him if he harms or threatens innocents.
((Special: A paladin who takes this feat does not gain the Stick Up the Ass class feature.))

Simu-ninjaed by Grey Watcher: Yes, I realize that this should be how the rules are to begin with, but if your DM doesn't make that house-rule, this feat provides an excuse to make them that way. Oh, and may I change this thread's title to "Screw Miko!"? ;D

Brickwall
2006-08-13, 12:06 PM
You're slowly becoming a victim of classism. All classes are equal. Don't do these hate crimes of yours. Show some love, brother!

Except for those sorcerers. Sorcerers suck!

Winged One
2006-08-13, 12:07 PM
Sorcerers suck!
You. Me. Stabbity Death thread. Now. ;)

Oh, and I'm not hating paladins, I actually like well-played ones, I'm just trying to increase the odds of them being well-played.

EDIT: added smilies to show that it's a joke, and actually refuted Brickwall's point.