PDA

View Full Version : Swimming the Seas of Chaos [Creature]

The Demented One
2006-08-13, 01:21 AM
Deepspawn of Dagon
Size/Type: Large Outsider (Aquatic, Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Obyrith)
Hit Dice: 14d8+112 (172 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), swim 50 ft.
Armor Class: 25 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +15 natural), touch 10, flatfooted 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +14/+30
Attack: Bite +25 melee (1d8+12)
Full Attack: Bite +25 melee (1d8+12) and 2 Claws +20 melee (1d6+6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Form of madness, song of Dagon, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Outsider traits, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to poison and mind-affecting, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, and fire 10, true seeing, telepathy 100 ft., DR 10/good or lawful, SR 25, amphibious
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +10, Will +11
Abilities: Str 34, Dex 12, Con 26, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 14
Skills: Bluff +19, Concentration +15, Diplomacy +19, Disguise +19, Hide +14, Intimidate +19, Knowledge (The Planes) +19, Listen +19, Move Silently +18, Spot +19, Swim +30
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Overrun, Ability Focus (Form of Madness), Thrall to Demon (Dagon)FCI, Swim-By AttackCW
Environment: The Abyss
Organization: Solitary, pair, or retinue (2-12)
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 15-20 HD (Large), 21-28 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: +6

The Deepspawn of Dagon are squamous, aquatic demons, inadvertently created by the demon lord whose name they bear. Ages ago, when the obyriths and tanar’ri waged war for control of the Abyss, the demon lords Orcus and Dagon waged war on each other. Though Dagon had attempted to abstain from the war, but no demon could find peace in that era of conflict. Dagon was mighty, but Orcus had come prepared. The demon lord of Undeath have ripped out a shard of his own soul, draining him of a substantial part of his power, and shaped it into an arrow capable of slaying even a demon lord. He roused an army of undead which marched on Dagon’s realm and distracted him, allowing Orcus a clear shot at Dagon’s heart, leaving the obyrith prince for dead. Dagon, in a desperate bid for power, opened a massive gateway to the still-young Material Plane, and drained its oceans–transforming islands to mountains–to absorb their elemental energies, healing his wounds. The obyrith was left weakened, but alive. However, he had absorbed more than water. Hundreds of thousands of primitive aquatic humanoids, from sea elves to sahuagin, had been absorbed into his body. Too weak to consume their combined essene, Dagon instead excreted them, inadvertently twisting them into the Deepspawn of Dagon, who served him loyally and aided him in recovering from his wounds. Deepspawn of Dagon are humanoid in shape, with leaden grey skin, luminous blue eyes, and a shark-like maw.

Form of Madness (Su)
Any creature other than a chaotic evil outsider that comes within 60 ft. of a Deepspawn of Dagon must make a DC 22 Will save. If it fails, it becomes extremely phobic of the sea. As long as a large body of water is within the creature’s sight, it takes a -2 penalty on Will saves. In addition, the creature takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls against aquatic creatures even when a large body of water is not present. A creature that successfully saves against a deepspawn’s form of madness becomes immune to it for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting fear ability. The save is Charisma based. Greater restoration, heal, limited wish, miracle, wish, and other effects of similar power are the only things that can remove this madness.

Song of Dagon (Su)
As a standard action, a Deepspawn of Dagon may begin singing. Each round it sings, all creatures within 30 ft. of it must make a DC 20 Will save or be charmed for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting sonic ability. The save is Charisma based.

Spell-Like Abilities
At will–deeper darkness, desecrate, detect good, detect law; 3/day–chaos hammer (DC 16), nightmare (DC 17), telekinesis (DC 17), unhallow; 1/day–greater dispel magic, greater teleport, insanity (DC 19). Caster level 14th. Saves are Charisma based.

Skills
A Deepspawn of Dagon has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Steward
2006-08-13, 02:44 AM
Cool monster.

I have one question -- why does it have a level adjustment? It doesn't strike me as PC or Cohort material.

If it fails, it becomes extremely phobic of the sea

Whoa, forever? That's cool!

The Demented One
2006-08-13, 03:01 AM
Cool monster.

I have one question -- why does it have a level adjustment? It doesn't strike me as PC or Cohort material.
I'm of the opinion that as many creatures as possible should have an LA. Of course, there are many campaigns these wouldn't work in, but they'd be great in a high-level evil campaign.

Whoa, forever? That's cool!
Yep, that's what makes the Obyrinths neat.

Behold_the_Void
2006-08-13, 03:47 AM
I'd assume Psychic Chirurgery could also remove that madness, correct?

The Demented One
2006-08-13, 03:47 AM
I'd assume Psychic Chirurgery could also remove that madness, correct?
Yep. Basically any 6th level or higher healing dealie will fix it right up.