PDA

View Full Version : Help: for Erfworld.com

kreszantas
2009-05-01, 04:59 PM
Howdy Rob, Jami or the Admin of erfworld.com

Attempted to register login and after 3 times the forum will not send me an authentication email. I am not sure if it is due to email address used or if there is a system problem I am not aware of. I was going to contact the admin there but it said I had to LOG IN to do so and since I am not authenticated it wont allow me, and there was no other external link that I could find easy to send an email to.

SteveMB
2009-05-01, 05:14 PM
Howdy Rob, Jami or the Admin of erfworld.com

Attempted to register login and after 3 times the forum will not send me an authentication email. I am not sure if it is due to email address used or if there is a system problem I am not aware of. I was going to contact the admin there but it said I had to LOG IN to do so and since I am not authenticated it wont allow me, and there was no other external link that I could find easy to send an email to.

It might have gotten filtered out by a spam filter. If that's not it, send me a PM with the username and e-mail address you're trying to register and I'll forward it to the Bug Reports board.

EDIT: Forwarded the OP to the Erfworld Bug Reports board, in case it's a general problem rather than one limited to your e-mail in particular.

T-O-E
2009-05-01, 05:22 PM
It's not just his problem. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47731&page=8)

Scroll down.

dr pepper
2009-05-01, 05:25 PM
I had no trouble at all registering. Now i just need to be able to change the awful color scheme.

ishnar
2009-05-01, 05:51 PM
I know some forums will not allow free email servers...although they usually warn that they will not. The email address I registered was with hotmail. Could that have been the problem.

WarriorTribble
2009-05-01, 07:20 PM
While this might not be the issue kreszantas has, I'd just like to note that yahoo mail did send my confirmation email to the spam folder.

kreszantas
2009-05-01, 08:13 PM
well I am going to see if my generic email at my webhost will pick it up, however with this name being tied up due to the bad name I going to use my shortened one... Kres

Thanks I thought it was the case of a free email eating it due to it being a new unconfirmed domain.

T-O-E
2009-05-01, 08:28 PM
I made a new account (is that okay?) using a yahoo email, now it works. Stupid me.

ishnar
2009-05-01, 11:34 PM
just told it to resend activation and no joy.

BLANDCorporatio
2009-05-02, 03:01 AM
While this might not be the issue kreszantas has, I'd just like to note that yahoo mail did send my confirmation email to the spam folder.

Same here (yahoo sent it to spam), so yeah, something's broken in the spam filter.

Apart from that everything went smoothly, btw.

T-O-E
2009-05-02, 10:12 AM
just told it to resend activation and no joy.

Make a yahoo email and a new Erfworld account?

ishnar
2009-05-02, 01:15 PM
Make a yahoo email and a new Erfworld account?

That would be a viable solution if

1. I knew it was my hotmail account causing the problem
2. I wasn't already wedded to my name on the server.

At this point it, the problem could be anything. All I know is: it's not going to my spam folder. My spam folder is pretty good at catching stuff, so I check it routinely anyway, and the authorization email is not there.

T-O-E
2009-05-02, 01:27 PM
That would be a viable solution if

1. I knew it was my hotmail account causing the problem

"1) Hotmail email addresses do not seem registrable--Hotmail is filtering our emails so you won't be able to activate your account. Please use an alternate email address if possible."

2. I wasn't already wedded to my name on the server.

You can always ask to get your name changed later.

ishnar
2009-05-02, 02:29 PM
"1) Hotmail email addresses do not seem registrable--Hotmail is filtering our emails so you won't be able to activate your account. Please use an alternate email address if possible."

You can always ask to get your name changed later.

Fair enough. I didn't see a note anywhere saying Hotmail was fail. Thanks, at least now I know what the problem is.

Since I'd rather keep the name though, I think I'll ask them if the admins can change my address manually. It so happens that I do have a yahoo account, that I never use, but it is there.

ishnar
2009-05-02, 11:12 PM
I just did some research on the Hotmail thing and this is what I found.

I'll give you one possible reason why your emails are being rejected. The clue is in the email's header. Some SMTP servers perform reverse-IP lookups to authenticate that whoever you said you were in a ELHO or HELO command matches the reverse-IP lookup.

In your example, your mail server told Windows Live/Hotmail that it was "web30.2uhosting.nl". WL/H detected your server's IP address as 83.96.x.x. On my end, I tried ping -a 83.96.x.x and it was unable to come up with "web30.2uhosting.nl" (-a performs a reverse-IP lookup.) The inability to reverse-IP lookup is usually a sign that the sending server is attempting to spoof. Besides WL/H, I believe AOL also performs these lookups on their mail servers.

The way to fix this is to work with your web site hosting service provider who probably also manages the 2uhosting.nl domain name. The administrator of that DNS needs to add a reverse-IP pointer so that 83.96.x.x will resolve as web30.2uhosting.nl. This is a very common practice for the web site hosting service provider, so it should do this.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1081485&p=6287075