PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Requests for a ToB/Psionics world

Serenity
2009-05-02, 10:25 AM
For the past several months, I've been working on a setting without arcane or divine magic, but widespread use of psionics and Tome of Battle extra-normal combat prowess. The overall feel is intended to be 'Crystalpunk', a purely psionic equivalent to Magitech settings like Eberron--with of course a lot of action movie/wuxia in the mix. I have much of the fluff down, but there's some outstanding mechanical issues I need to resolve before I can run a prototype game for my players.

Firstly, I need a psionic healing power or two. My current thought is to make this a power which grants the subject Fast Healing, rather than directly mimicking Cure X spells. I'm not sure, however, how to make the numbers balanced, as far as amount of fast healing gained vs. PP spent.

Secondly, if perhaps more minorly, I want there to be lasers in this setting. I suppose I could just use the laser pistol stats from the DMG, or a wand of energy ray, but that seems a little bland. Would there be a way to make such weapons augmentable without breaking their power level? Relatedly, I'd like to have some minor magical items available that could mimic modern day devices--'Crystal Callers' for cell phones, for example.

Mining operations in this world, especially those conducted by the dromites, are often searching for veins of psionically resonant crystals. Many of these see use in creating crystal and crysteel arms and armor, and I can adapt some of the dragonshard properties from Eberron for others, but I'm also considering using them to revamp the item creation system--rather than spending XP, a crafter would have to acquire crystals seeded with certain properties he wants to invest an item with. Is something like this feasible? Would it be more trouble than it's worth?

Decisions on all of these issues probably need to be made before I can start a game. Other things that I would like to do, but aren't immediately urgent include
*Altering outsiders' SLAs into PLAs wherever possible
*Playing around with prestige classes. I'd like to change a few casting PrC's, especially the Jade Phoenix Mage, to run off of Psionics. I'd also like to rework the Lurk into a Psionic Assassin prestige class
*A Planar Binding-like power or device to make the Lightning Rail and Airships from Eberron possible.

I would much appreciate your aid and input, everyone!

Lappy9000
2009-05-02, 10:32 AM
Are you going to have arcane magic at all? If not, do you plan to re-flavor some of the spellcasting classes (like druid) in a more psionic light?

You know eberron has "Sending Stones," right? :smalltongue:

The Fast Healing seems like a pretty cool idea; assuming you can pull it off.

Also, are you going for any new psionic races?

Serenity
2009-05-02, 11:30 AM
The idea is that psionics is the only sort of magic that exists in the world. Druids, clerics, sorcerers, wizards, even bards are not available for play in this world. The base classes are Crusader, Swordsage, Warblade, Rogue, Martial Ranger (and perhaps a variant with a druid's Animal Companion progression), Pathfinder-style Barbarian, Psion, Ardent, and Psychic Warrior. I don't know that I intend to create any more races, as there's a wealth already available, and I'm already giving myself a lot of work with the restrictions in place.

Knaight
2009-05-02, 12:14 PM
If your going to have lasers, and psionics, I can see a few places where they would be useful. First as weapons, using crystals in giant rooms with an open roof(or glass roof) to fire massive lasers, or smaller hand held versions. Second glowing crystals with lasers between them. Think razor wire, but with lasers. You could also have a weaponized version of this, where you have some sort of weapon that fires the crystals away from each other, hitting a cone on at a time, with a laser razor wire.

Reptilius
2009-05-02, 01:13 PM
Well, for a shameless plug, there's the class in my sig that semi-combines the two (I'm working on a PrC for them that gives psionic powers).

As for healing, I remember seeing an article on wizards about a psionic PrC that specialized in healing...but that would mean that the group wouldn't have an effective healer for the first few levels, and the whole thing is pointless if no one is an egoist. Martial strikes can heal others, but Crusaders have an unpredictable set of maneuvers each encounter, and they can't heal during downtime. Healing powers are the way to go.

Serenity
2009-05-02, 03:14 PM
Precisely. Putting together healing power(s) is the most vital thing to getting this setting off the ground. Can anyone suggest some numbers to put to a Fast Healing power?

hiryuu
2009-05-02, 07:13 PM
Complete Psionics has a power called Touch of Healing, which heals 2 hit points per power point spent (it's a level 1 power). It's a Mantle power, but you can totally dump it into the psion/wilder list easily.

Jack_Simth
2009-05-02, 07:38 PM
Let's see...

The Touch of Healing power was mentioned.

If you want Fast Healing, there's a personal power that does that - True Metabolism, but it's higher level and more expensive than what you're after. Maybe compare to the Vigor line of spells, and get something that acts in a similar manner? Something like....

Touch of Troll's Blood
Psychometabolism
Level: Psion/Wilder 1, Psychic Warrior 1
Display: Material
Manifesting Time: 1 Round
Range: Touch
Target: Living Creature Touched
Duration: 5 rounds
Power Points: 1
You accelerate the latent healing capacity of living things, granting the target fast healing 1 for five rounds.

Augment:
For each additional power point you spend, the power's duration increases by one round. For every four power points you spend in this manner, the amount of fast healing increases by 1 (so spending five power points (1 on the base power, 4 on augmentation) gives the subject fast healing 2 for nine rounds).

As for lasers...
If you want a Psionic laser pistol, build a psionic item that burns the users power points, or burns power points from a cognizance crystal. Something like...

Blasters
Blasters come in several varieties, but they all have a few things in common. They have an inherent manifester level, and they are all powered by power points - either supplied by the wielder, or from a cognizance crystal placed in the hilt. All manifest the Crystal Shard power. The manifester level of the blaster dictates the cost; each blaster markets at manifester level * manifester level * 100 gp (and has a cost to create of manifester level * manifester level * 50 gp + manifester level * manifester level * 4 xp), but this price does not include a cognizance crystal to place in the hilt; the purchaser must either provide the cognizance crystal themselves, or power the weapon with their own power points. All Blasters have an included method (often a dial, but the exact manner is left up to the creator of the blaster) for altering the amount of power points used - 0 (off, or "safe") to the maximum the Blaster can support. An attacker cannot personally supply a blaster with more power points at once than the attacker has levels in a psionic class, although this limit does not apply to power points that the blaster drains directly from a cognizance crystal placed in the blaster's hilt.
Varies Metacreativity (Creation); Manifester level varies; craft psionic arms and armor, cost varies