PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do if You were in Parson's place?

Dystopianman
2009-05-02, 10:28 PM
Hello to the Erfworld community. I'm a longtime reader of the comic and a slightly less longtime lurker on the boards.

I've noticed that Parson has become quite a controversial character amongst the community. It seems that every time I visit a comic thread that features Parson; The most heated (or at least generally the most interesting) discussions on the thread revolve around Parson's morality.

All that talk has got me thinking: What would I do if I were in Parson's place?

So I ask you, Erfworld community, what would you do if you found yourself summoned to Erfworld instead of Parson?

Dahan
2009-05-03, 02:51 AM
I think I may have done exactly what Parson has done to date: do what is necessary to survive. He is subject to Erfworld's magics, extending to natural thinkamancies like Duty and Loyalty. In the beginning, he probably felt a strong sense of unreality about the whole situation, which is being eroded by experiences like the deaths of Misty, Bogroll, and the destruction of Gobwin Knob. While he likes to play the bad buys, he seems to be a good guy at heart. The shift from a defensive battle to an offensive war is going to be hard on him.

silas the monk
2009-05-08, 08:53 AM
I think I may have done exactly what Parson has done to date: do what is necessary to survive. He is subject to Erfworld's magics, extending to natural thinkamancies like Duty and Loyalty. In the beginning, he probably felt a strong sense of unreality about the whole situation, which is being eroded by experiences like the deaths of Misty, Bogroll, and the destruction of Gobwin Knob. While he likes to play the bad buys, he seems to be a good guy at heart. The shift from a defensive battle to an offensive war is going to be hard on him.

Looking at Parson's facial expression I believe he is absolutely dreading what he is about to unleash on the world. I suspect his inclination will be to build up alliances I suspect there will be many other influences.

DMcCoy1693
2009-05-08, 11:12 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm afraid of Wanda. I mean if I were Parson, I'd be very very afraid of her. (yea, that's what I mean to say. Really.) Yea, I'd have to agree, Parson is horrified at the monster he unleashed . I think he'd sooner ask to be "ended" by the Tool whenever he finally returns.

Yarram
2009-05-08, 11:36 PM
If I was in Parson's place? I think I'd make a gun. GG

Nekomata
2009-05-09, 09:53 AM
Besides commanding the army, I'd experiment with crossbows and ballistas, gunpowder and guns, railguns and gauss rifles, and magic, especially fire and telekinesis. With any luck I'd get sniper rifles, heavy machineguns, or tactical nukes. Without luck, I'd just get improved siege engines, which could get usefull too.

ishnar
2009-05-09, 04:25 PM
Besides commanding the army, I'd experiment with crossbows and ballistas, gunpowder and guns, railguns and gauss rifles, and magic, especially fire and telekinesis. With any luck I'd get sniper rifles, heavy machineguns, or tactical nukes. Without luck, I'd just get improved siege engines, which could get usefull too.

tactical nukes?

Somehow I have this feeling that a nuke isn't something you can just scrap together using medieval level tech.

BLANDCorporatio
2009-05-09, 04:42 PM
Who needs med-tech when you have Magic(tm)?

People, the Yankee-at-King-Arthur's court scenario only worked on a fictional Earth. Who knows what would work or not in Erfworld. In that world, for instance, night-time is peace-time. On Earth, that's when the Lancasters come to drop the boomies.

Anyway, tech is not anything. Strategy matters too. There was, and still is, a discussion raging in the TBfGK-page 159 thread about GK's tactical and strategic options (with a generous helping of disagreement on whether GK is presently uberpowerful).

My ideas for what GK should do is to take advantage of the likely shock everyone is feeling right now after the loss of their troops, and grow their armies on whatever neutral units and villages exist nearby. Then, as quickly as possible, go on the offensive. There must be weak neighbours, as well as Stanley's old cities, that can be knocked out and raised back.

So yeah, attack. It's an option, the best one I think.

Aris Katsaris
2009-05-09, 04:58 PM
With any luck I'd get sniper rifles, heavy machineguns, or tactical nukes.

LOL. With any luck you'll never find any uranium/plutonium at all, and so won't end up killing yourself with radiation poisoning. And your first experiments with explosives won't end up blowing you up.

Without luck, I'd just get improved siege engines, which could get usefull too.

Nah, *without* luck, you end up exploding yourself (with normal explosives) or sickening yourself and dying (if you actually are unlucky enough to discover radioactive elements).

But tactical nukes? Sniper rifles? Heavy machineguns? No amount of luck will end up with you inventing these in a few brief years.

Cracklord
2009-05-09, 05:48 PM
Stairmaster.
Three hours a day, at least.
After a few months of that I'd consider leading an army.
Otherwise, I'd do what he already has, except probably not so sucsessfully, as I wouldn't have got past the dance fighting in the courtyard. And when Ansom took my surrender, I would have said "I vos chust following orders, herr General."

Nekomata
2009-05-09, 07:04 PM
LOL. With any luck you'll never find any uranium/plutonium at all, and so won't end up killing yourself with radiation poisoning. And your first experiments with explosives won't end up blowing you up.

Nah, *without* luck, you end up exploding yourself (with normal explosives) or sickening yourself and dying (if you actually are unlucky enough to discover radioactive elements).

But tactical nukes? Sniper rifles? Heavy machineguns? No amount of luck will end up with you inventing these in a few brief years.

With an army under my command I wouldn't even be anywhere near the test sites.
I meant tactical nukes in a more or less metaphorical sense, "bigg booms" so to speak. Most likely these would need to be magic artifacts.

And I'm not "Inventing" anything, I already know the basic idea behind sniper rifles, machineguns and nukes.
Sniper rifle, for example is pretty simple, and with wizards on hand, rapid prototyping it shouldn't be a problem. Though, if chemistry and physics (electro magnetism) worked differently, it could be hard to make it work... and probably the prototypes would have low durability, etc. but if anything worked at all, it could provide a huge bonus where it mattered.

If nothing at all worked, I wouldn't get that bonus. But I'd rather try.

Mando Knight
2009-05-09, 07:53 PM
I would probably lose. Remember, Parson turned things around in just a handful of turns, learning the system as he went. Without having prior experience in the game's system, I'd probably make some tactical errors while trying to build up my industrial infrastructure... and it's already way to late in the game to be doing that.

Moechi_Vill
2009-05-10, 01:34 AM
The post a few days ago was lost... hmmm, well... the question is actually what would we feel in Parson's place. He has no choice, and neither would we.

I'd feel ambivalent about it. :)

DevilDan
2009-05-11, 11:58 AM
It's difficult for me to get inside Parson's head. We still don't know how much of his behavior is affected by loyalty and duty, by effects like "ruthlessness" (however the heck that works), by his own desires for adventure and escapism, and even by the voice in his head that is surely still telling him that none of what's he's experiencing can possibly be real. I mean, what he did was the Earth equivalent of nuking his own city to slag and massacring two armies. It's not every human or every leader who would carry out or even consider such an action.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-05-14, 05:30 PM
Answering the thread title: I'd immediately set about attempting to court Wanda whenever I had a moment free from the sit-room. :smallbiggrin: Smart, strong, and driven. What's not to like? XD

Flickerdart
2009-05-14, 05:53 PM
Demand me some levels for winning an unwinnable scenario and decimating the enemy's entire force, then bringing it back under my control, capturing an artifact, etc. The victory should make Parson one of Erfworld's most powerful combatants, and it doesn't seem like he got anything for it.

DoctorJest
2009-05-15, 02:05 AM
All that talk has got me thinking: What would I do if I were in Parson's place?

Wait until Wanda finishes with her Army of Decrypted, pop some more dwagons, rebuild GK and conquer the world (not all necessarily in that order).

I play to win.

Fishman
2009-05-15, 02:46 AM
Me, personally? Probably much the same, but with less angst and hand-wringing. Concern and regret over the consequences of my actions are just not things I consider to be relevant. I need no magic item for ruthlessness.

Gez
2009-05-15, 07:18 AM
I'd tell Sizemore to unbury Misty (since she was moved, she should still be there) and get Wanda to decrypt her to see if she can still cast spells.

Then once Jack is back I'd get the eyemancers linked again to use the table setup to take over the whole world.

Once I get a strong enough army, I'd attack and conquer the Magic Kingdom. Something fishy's going on there, and I couldn't say I found their hospitality charming.

Jubal_Barca
2009-05-17, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't have thought of Uncroaking the volcano, certainly, and his tactics were excellent. I'd certainly have put taking down Ansom as high priority, then attempted to negotiate.

Basically I'm not the general Parson is, so I'd try and default to negotiation and diplomatic skills until I had a big enough stick to fight back with.

Kizor
2009-05-17, 10:43 AM
Assuming sufficient strategic skills, I'd do the same as him but with a lot more hand-wringing and angst. I'd rather croak than lead a wave of death, yet would take the easy route and put it off indefinitely instead of actually going through with it.

Renx
2009-05-19, 08:51 AM
What Would You Do if You were in Parson's place?

The Same Thing I Do Every Night, Pinky. Try To Take Over The World.

tribble
2009-05-19, 10:12 PM
Answering the thread title: I'd immediately set about attempting to court Wanda whenever I had a moment free from the sit-room. :smallbiggrin: Smart, strong, and driven. What's not to like? XD

for one, she is about as tall as a child, you sickening lolicon.

Justyn
2009-05-19, 11:55 PM
for one, she is about as tall as a child, you sickening lolicon.

You really need to learn how to identify jokes.

Zone
2009-05-20, 12:29 AM
You really need to learn how to identify jokes.

Same thing could be said about you ;)

Aquillion
2009-05-20, 01:33 AM
Same thing could be said about you ;)
And you. :smallwink:
(I'm just curious how long we can stretch this out for.)

MCerberus
2009-05-20, 02:19 AM
We're stuck in a loop!

Anyway, first thing I'd do is send some recon fliers to see if any of the old Plaid cities are able to be recaptured. If so, take some back or make them an offer they can't refuse to turn. Get GK back up running, and then pour smuckers into making whatever Erf has for production/research facilities. Farms will be important for long-term growth, but let's get a blacksmith for upgrading weapons. Nothing like having your own forces turned back at you stronger.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-05-20, 10:36 AM
We're stuck in a loop!

Anyway, first thing I'd do is send some recon fliers to see if any of the old Plaid cities are able to be recaptured. If so, take some back or make them an offer they can't refuse to turn. Get GK back up running, and then pour smuckers into making whatever Erf has for production/research facilities. Farms will be important for long-term growth, but let's get a blacksmith for upgrading weapons. Nothing like having your own forces turned back at you stronger.

-and you. Wait... bloody combo breaker. :smalltongue:

Honestly, I think I'd feel as though I had died and gone to a place not entirely unheaven. A world that feels a LOT like the Warlords series would keep me mentally stimulated for a very long time. It'd be fun to mess around with the "rules" of the world, pushing to see what I could get away with. Like a tabletop run by a liberal minded GM, there are memories to be made.

BillyJimBoBob
2009-05-20, 11:20 AM
But tactical nukes? Sniper rifles? Heavy machineguns? No amount of luck will end up with you inventing these in a few brief years.Game time gives a prospective "inventor" (it's not really invention if you know it exists already, but that doesn't make it easy) a big advantage here. Bogroll was able to forge Parson's armor in a day, and that shows that production on Erf follows game time more than real time. City production also supports this, with a unit in production not existing at all for a turn or several turns (days), and then popping completely. And as has been pointed out, magic can provide some serious shortcuts.

One question I have about production is about numbers. One dwagon popped, but would you get an entire unit of some number of foot soldiers, for example? The number or rank and file troops involved in the tBfGK would take a great many turns to be collected if you got 1 soldier per day.
It's difficult for me to get inside Parson's head. We still don't know how much of his behavior is affected by loyalty and duty, by effects like "ruthlessness" (however the heck that works), by his own desires for adventure and escapism, and even by the voice in his head that is surely still telling him that none of what's he's experiencing can possibly be real. I mean, what he did was the Earth equivalent of nuking his own city to slag and massacring two armies. It's not every human or every leader who would carry out or even consider such an action.It is, however, what most good gamers would do. If you're losing a war you fight for survival, if you're losing a game you can play kingmaker (try to help another person win), or look to tear down the position of the person who put you in a losing position so that they can not win either.

And as far as "We still don't know how much of his behavior is affected by loyalty and duty, by effects like "ruthlessness" [...]", Maggy gave a pretty good explanation. She didn't quantify it, and it really can't be quantified so don't hold your breath waiting for more detail, but she did explain it well enough.

Happydork
2009-05-20, 11:28 AM
If I were Parson, I would focus on building cities and leveling myself. GK currently has a military and financial advantage. I would use those resources to make that permanent. Civilization is my game. I am far better at strategy than tactics. Play to your strength…

It seems that erfworld is based on the murder based experience model. Parson has directed the successful defense of GK, but has not leveled. I assume that is because he didn’t kill anything with his own hands. By asking Ansom, this could be confirmed. If it were confirmed, Parson should create a small strike team specialized at capturing enemy units in the field. Then Parson could level without risk by killing the units that were captured. (Wanda could raise them after the fact…)

Miklus
2009-05-20, 02:46 PM
What would I do if I were in Parson's place?

Wanda :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Sieggy
2009-05-20, 10:59 PM
If I were Parson, I would focus on building cities and leveling myself. GK currently has a military and financial advantage. I would use those resources to make that permanent. Civilization is my game. I am far better at strategy than tactics. Play to your strength…

It seems that erfworld is based on the murder based experience model. Parson has directed the successful defense of GK, but has not leveled. I assume that is because he didn’t kill anything with his own hands. By asking Ansom, this could be confirmed. If it were confirmed, Parson should create a small strike team specialized at capturing enemy units in the field. Then Parson could level without risk by killing the units that were captured. (Wanda could raise them after the fact…)
How do we know Parson didn't level if his stats are invisible?

Aquillion
2009-05-20, 11:20 PM
Wanda :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jWNhyMUpjSE/Sbm6PB1_6jI/AAAAAAAAC_0/Sho4qWL5Dq4/s400/pedo-bear-seal-of-approval.png
...but seriously, if people are so eager to see Parson shack up with someone...

...does Erfworld have female twolls?

Dystopianman
2009-05-21, 02:54 AM
It's difficult for me to get inside Parson's head. We still don't know how much of his behavior is affected by loyalty and duty, by effects like "ruthlessness" (however the heck that works), by his own desires for adventure and escapism, and even by the voice in his head that is surely still telling him that none of what's he's experiencing can possibly be real. I mean, what he did was the Earth equivalent of nuking his own city to slag and massacring two armies. It's not every human or every leader who would carry out or even consider such an action.

I think it was good foreshadowing that Parson referenced Ender's Game when coming up with his initial list of ideas to defend Gobwin Knob. He certainly did pull off an Ender move.

Also, I think BillyJimBoBob did well to point out the "gamer's perspective" in Parson's actions.

That being said there are two perspectives I can throw out here.

One is that a defining factor in what I would do if I were in Parson's place would be just how quickly from the moment I was summoned I could size up the social situation and react appropriately. Parson butted heads with Stanley at every turn until a few turns later when Wanda had to explain how to deal with him. This had a dramatic impact on the information he could access as well as his influence within the organization during the first critical turns. Could another person have been able to establish influence within his Side more efficiently? Would another have ended up avoiding a scenario where his winning move would be to volcano(nuke) his hex?

The other perspective is the strategic goal. Speaking as a gamer, I think Parson's goal when he launched his dwagon offensive that killed 40 PCT of the RCC's siege units was to render the enemy incapable of taking the garrison by destroying his means to do so. Simultaneously, he aimed for the enemy's leadership.

My strategic goal would have been different. I would have aimed to render the enemy unwilling to take the garrison by means of forcing a draw on the field. I would rely heavily on uncroaked and dwagons. I would have serious moral concerns about using uncroaked units but these would have to be set aside due to the more pressing goal of survival.

Simultaneously, I would attempt to exert all my influence on Stanley to A. Run and reestablish somewhere else. B. find out where we could run to. I would reserve (hopefully) enough dwagons to bring the best units (including all casters, intact). I might have sacrificed Wanda due to her being in the field leading the croaked troops/making more. More likely, I would have made one attempt with a mid-high strength stack of dwagons (if I could spare them) to evac her and any "quality" units."

I'm not sure if it would have worked or if it's really any morally better than Parson's, but that is the direction I'd go strategically.

How do we know Parson didn't level if his stats are invisible?

We could check his Warlord bonus. Before the siege it was +2, I think. I wonder if it's different now? I think Warlord bonus are separately listed from bonuses gained from his artifacts and items.

Weimann
2009-05-21, 05:26 AM
I'd loose. Presumably in the enemy's first round.

I'm really really no good at strategy games.

Miklus
2009-05-21, 08:27 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jWNhyMUpjSE/Sbm6PB1_6jI/AAAAAAAAC_0/Sho4qWL5Dq4/s400/pedo-bear-seal-of-approval.png
...but seriously, if people are so eager to see Parson shack up with someone...

...does Erfworld have female twolls?

Heeeeey...:smallfrown: Wanda is fair game, she even seduced Stanley, remember?

Anyway, no one has considered surrender. Why should you fight to the death for the insane Stanley when he just fled with the best troops? Parson could probably have negotiated a fair deal with Ansom, if he had not thrown the "royalty is obsolete" speach. Ansom does not seem the type to go on a massakre on the civilian population. He would rather try to spare the troops under his command. Think how many lives could have been spared if Parson had just surrendered. Remeber that Gobwin Knob is a city with thousands of houses, you can see them in some of the airial veiws.