PDA

View Full Version : You gonna see my movie, Bub? (X-Men Origins: Wolverine)

BRC
2009-05-03, 01:14 AM
So, I just saw it. And, as is becoming tradition, I will give it a brief review.

Before we start here, I know very little about the X-Men or the Marvel Mythos, and I havn't seen the other X-men movies. So This review will be based entierly on what I saw on-screen. That said, this was not a bad movie. That said, it's not a great movie, but it is entertaining, and the sheer straightforwardness of it's plot has a certain elegant simplicity.

Now, Here is how I imagine the movie was planned, remember, I know nothing about Wolverine's backstory in-comic, if he has one.
Guy A: Hey, let's make a movie backstory-ing the X-Men.
Guy B: Okay, who should we start with?
A: Wolverine, he's by far the most popular.
B: But, he dosn't have much backstory. He's just a badass canadian guy with metal claws, a metal skeleton, and super-Regeneration.
A: It's a fact that nothing is more badass than revenge. Let's get him really angry about somthing, and have him take vengence.
B: Okay, sounds good.
So, the first part of the movie goes like this
1: Opening Credits with Logan and Victor engaging in abunch of fights that clearly place them in a certain war. If Hollywood is to be believed, every single american who stormed Normandy was ridiculously good looking.
2: PEOPLE WITH NIFTY POWERS, SHINY SHINY!
3: Logan engages in Lumberjackery, is happy. This part of the movie contains the best line ever
"I know you want to serve you're country" "I'm Canadian"
4: REVENGE AGAINST VICTOR, DIE DIE DIE!
5: Okay Army Guy, victor is the bastard here.
6: REVENGE AGAINST ARMY GUY TOO, DIE DIE DIE!
7: Aww, nice old farmer couple.
8: Blatant kicking and shooting of Dogs.
9-end of movie: REVENGE! DIE DIE DIE
5-minutes before end: AMNESIA, thus essentially rendering the entire movie pointless.

Alright, time for the sum-up

Best Part: as may be expected, Fight Scenes. All very impressive, very shiny, and very nifty. Especially with Asian Gun Guy, but Sword guy was just over-the-top, cutting bullets in half in mid-air? Are you Serious.
Worst Part: Mute, Mind-controlled deadpool? WTF, you don't dangle "The Merc with the Mouth" in front of us, then remove the mouth, and the Mercness. It was a very impressive fight scene, and they had been dropping Cameos left and right, but those had been working with the characters. Mind you, I don't know Deadpools backstory very much, but it seemed like they could have just kept him as "Weapon 11", without dropping the Deadpool name. Especially because they gave him abunch of powers he didn't have in the one book I read that had him in it. So yeah.
The People's Conclusion: It's not a bad film to see if you like mindless action, which I do. Despite them pulling out every Cliche in the book (Not only does he walk away from an explosion, he does so less than five minutes after riding a motorcycle out of an exploding barn) they manage to make you, while not exactly Sympathize with Logan, at least understand him. You know very much that the Bad guys are Evil and the Good Guys are, well, Angry at least. They don't really go for the "Morally questionable anti-hero" bit, which is good, that's been done to death, and with the way this movie treated other tropes, it would have mean Wolverine wearing all black and going to back alleys where he kills little kids for pickpocketing.

All-in-all, I recommend you see it. I'm a little harsh up above, but that's because I'm snarky and tired. It's well-made and well-acted, so provided you havn't been spoiled by the recent really-good superhero movies (Iron Man and The Dark Knight) you should enjoy it.

chiasaur11
2009-05-03, 01:25 AM
I'm protesting seeing it because of the Deadpool bit.

Not that I would see it elsewise, but dangit, taking an insane and arbitrary stands on issues I don't really care about is what Wade Wilson would have wanted me to do!

kpenguin
2009-05-03, 01:27 AM
The sad thing about the Deadpool issue is that Ryan Reynolds would really be a great choice for Deadpool... without the sewing up the mouth bit.

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1R5PhReY5k) is how you do Deadpool.

Mikeavelli
2009-05-03, 01:38 AM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1R5PhReY5k) is how you do Deadpool.

And Boom goes the Dynamite. Deadpool wins!

Jibar
2009-05-03, 01:44 AM
I saw it recently as well. Could be much better. Enjoyable watch, not really worth paying to see though.
Also:
That entire end sequence just had me ready to scream with anger. That ain't Deadpool. Why does he only have powers that have been shown on screen, despite the fact that Stryker has been kidnapping tons of mutants to steal their powers.
Obligatory Xavier cameo that doesn't make much sense; he knows the island is there, he knows all these young mutants are in peril, but he doesn't really do anything? Yup. Sure.
AMNESIABULLETWUT!? Hilarious for its destroying of the 'Walk into the sunset' ending, terrible, absolutely terrible for everything else about it. Why won't his brain regenerate the memory? Does his brain not regenerate? Have you mentioned anything of that kind at any point in the film? No. So stop it.
Also, how come he's allowed to kill Kestrel (teleporting guy) but they have to tag Cyclops to get his power? Oh yeah. Right. Contractual immortality. Of course.
As well, why should we care about any of this movie? We know he's coming back, we know Creed is, we know Cyclops is, we know Professor X is, hell, we know Stryker is. We only came to this movie to see all the new characters die so we didn't have to worry about them in later films. Gambit surviving was about the only thing that surprised me, but then Wolverine doesn't remember him any more so he doesn't matter. Great.
Oh, and couldn't you have called this X-Men Origins: William Stryker? 'Cos he seemed to me he was the main character half the time. If it wasn't for all the fight scenes I would be saying screw Logan, that guy is obviously the protagonist.
About the only things in the film I did genuinely enjoy was the Emma Frost/Scott interactions as about the only subtle nod towards the comics, Gambit who was an okay adaptation of the character and who at least got to play Poker, though they seriously screwed him up otherwise, and Deadpool at the beginning. Just standing there cracking jokes and then killing everybody. That was how you get all the fans hopes up and emotionally blackmail us, by making us think for all of 30 seconds that you did Deadpool as right as you could and that he would then be a proper character.
Then they took him away from us and gave us their crappy version.
Hmph.

Also, why didn't Rogue get bone claws back in X-Men 1?

Ascension
2009-05-03, 01:48 AM
Eh, wasn't great, but it was okay. I came for fighting, I saw fighting, not too much of what I hold sacred was destroyed in the process... I'm calling that a win.

If I cared more about Deadpool (who I find amusing, but have no real emotional attachment to) I would be burning with righteous fury, but as it is I'm not even going to snark about all the incredibly easy to make fun of aspects of XMOW.

Yes, XMOW. That right there is easy to make fun of. Which is why I'll refrain from further comment.

In fact, the post is ending right here. Right here.

WitchSlayer
2009-05-03, 01:51 AM
Gee, Clark Kent is going to be angry when he comes back home and finds his parents killed, his motorcycle destroyed and his jacket stolen.

tyckspoon
2009-05-03, 02:13 AM
Having just come back from a midnight showing:

I'd been warned ahead of time (press showing review on a blog I read) that this was not a particularly great movie. It's good, but the other posters have already pointed out why it's not great. So I'll focus on the nitpicky bits. The special effects are.. a little offputting. In particular, Emma's diamondskin effect just looked weird to me, and there is a scene shortly after the adamantium infusion where Wolverine is just staring at his new claws. They are horribly CG-looking- if you've ever seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit, they look rather like toon-metal. It's never quite as bad as that again, although mostly because Wolverine's fighting somebody with them the rest of the time and you don't get many more still close-ups.

Fights in general: I'm also a little disappointed in the use of the Deadpool name, but it did make for a nice fight. I particularly liked the moment where he kinda stops and goes "Hey, I've got eye lasers! Freakin' sweet!" and proceeds to use nothing else just 'cause they're awesome (well, as much as a mind-controlled killing machine can enjoy something.)

The motorcycle chase-helicopter fight thing was just thoroughly ridiculous all around (I mean that in a good way, but seriously.) Wolvy's bike appears to take several direct hits on the rear faring, which completely fails to damage or slow down the bike at all. Apparently it's made of adamantium too? Or maybe it's just throwing random sparks because they look cool and the bullets actually aren't hitting it, who knows. I thought for a moment they would resist exploding the helicopter.. they crashed it with just part of the tail section in flames, where (presumably) the fuel would be. Which, you know, makes at least movie-sense that that would burn. But then.. no, spark, BOOOM. Cliche wins again. Oh, well.. I suppose that sums up a lot about this movie, really.

Gee, Clark Kent is going to be angry when he comes back home and finds his parents killed, his motorcycle destroyed and his jacket stolen.

Oh yeah, and this. Two old, almost preternaturally 'good' people, living on a farm in Bumfark, Nowhere in a superhero movie? I'd like to take a poll of all the people who immediately thought Wolverine had fallen in with the Kents.

Ichneumon
2009-05-03, 02:52 AM
I saw it a few days ago and I have to say I liked it. It wasn't as great as Spiderman 2 or Watchmen, but it did what you would expect of an action movie. There were however some parts I didn't like.

Just like someone before me has said too, I think the computer generated claws looked really weird and ugly in certain scenes, especially during the bathroom scene when Wolverine lives with the old people. I also didn't like that scene as it was trying to hard to be the "young superhero discovers his powers and does something embarrassing"-scene we all know from for example the Spiderman movies and I don't think it fits with Wolverine. I liked what they did with Victor, but over-all I thought the plot was somewhat weak. It really was an action movie.

Ascension
2009-05-03, 03:20 AM
Oh yeah, and this. Two old, almost preternaturally 'good' people, living on a farm in Bumfark, Nowhere in a superhero movie? I'd like to take a poll of all the people who immediately thought Wolverine had fallen in with the Kents.

I was too busy wondering why James and Heather Hudson were so old. You know, during that brief moment where I deluded myself into thinking he had actually run into characters from his real backstory.

They really should have just had him mindwiped after getting the adamantium implanted. Then they could've done the whole thing where he's found feral in the woods by the Hudsons and reintroduced to civilization... Would've made for a good movie, I think.

Hey, it could've even introduced hooks for an Alpha Flight movie! You've got Guardian and Vindicator right there, a Sasquatch cameo would've been easy as pie... all you've got to do is work in a couple other folks in a post-credits "hey, we're putting together a team of Canadians" scene or something... I wouldn't really even mind if they made it "WOLVERINE and Alpha Flight" in order to draw more people to the theaters. It'd still be awesome. Well, in my imagination, at least.

Disclaimer: I've never actually read an issue of Alpha Flight in my life. I did, however, somehow end up with action figures of the whole team as a kid, so in my mind they've always been awesome. And Canadian. But I guess that last part's canon.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-05-03, 03:59 AM
Just came back from it tonight. Honestly, there's no way I can be objective about this. Wolverine has been my favorite character since I was 4. I feel no shame in saying this comical book character is in many ways the man I wish I could be (when he's written well, anyway).

There are two things that pull down this movie like the singularity of a black hole. And none of them have anything to do with Deadpool, who, honestly, I don't get the massive nerdrage over. He was his usual motormouth self until the Government mangled him, but at that point he was just a puppet so it's not like they're horribly derailing the character.

No, what gets me is

1. Wolverine sparing Sabretooth. Just.... just what? "You're not like him," OH MY GOD IT'S THE ONE GUY YOU'VE WANTED TO KILL SINCE THE START AND NOW YOU GET SQUEAMISH? Killing Maverick and all those Soldiers was one thing, but now you're going to get squeamish? Ugh, movie morality at its worst: killing a named villain makes you as bad as him, but nameless mooks are a dime a dozen.

2. Wolverine loses his memories from an Adamantium bullet to the head. What? Wolverine loses his memories from an Adamantium bullet to the head. After all that, bringing down the Super-Sentinel Program (did they call it that? That's the name in the comics), defeating a walking super-weapon, Striker essentially just walks up to him and erases his mind with a pistol. Come on! At least have the telepathic character do it or something.

Hugh Jackman is a fantastic actor, and Liev Schreiber conveys a lot without words in his role as the villain, and that's the only reason every non-action scene in this movie doesn't blow. The writing has quite a few good one-liners, but you can tell it's been through several rewrites. Wolverine's wife apparently isn't Native American anymore (she's Emma Frost's sister now), but still tells him the Indian legend that inspires his codename? There's a lot of little things like that throughout the plot that make it feel like the movie was designed by committee and subjected to rewrite after rewrite. This is the kind of superhero movie we've moved past. After Spiderman 2, Watchmen, Iron Man, and Dark Knight, merely competent isn't good enough. That's the root of a lot of the ire this movie's taking, I think--it's merely an okay action film, when we've come to expect much more from superhero epics.

That last part is why, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm really miffed about this movie. Wolverine is my favorite, obviously I think he's a great character and can easily support as serious and excellent a film as Batman or Spiderman. But instead we got a forgettable, mediocre vehicle that makes it look like Wolverine's far weaker (as a character) and more shallow than he really is.

And I really wanted to like it. :C

Tamburlaine
2009-05-03, 09:59 AM
I saw it recently, and I wasn't really impressed. Mostly it was the small things that got to me more than anything else. Like getting Cyclops' eyebeams wrong, and adamantium bullets piercing Wolverine's skull for no real reason.

Oh well, I suppose not every film gets to be as faithful to the source as Watchmen did...

Xallace
2009-05-03, 10:07 AM
I was very much not a fan of what was done to Deadpool. Very, very much not.

That aside, I thought Origins: Wolverine was the funniest X-Men parody I'd see in a while. I laughed at the parts where they were trying to be funny, and I almost laughed more at the parts where they weren't.

I suppose I couldn't take it seriously after the first five minutes. I was in tears at Young James' angry charge. I may have ruined the movie for the rest of the audience, I was laughing so hard (my bad, folks! Sorry!). But then they just kept hitting me with the... the... oh I don't even know. It was awful, I'll have to rent it when it comes out.

LoopyZebra
2009-05-03, 01:33 PM
As someone who's never read the comics and does not particularly know the X-Men mythos, even I was annoyed at what they did to Deadpool(?). You can't do that to Van Wilder! He was such a cool character, then they made him into some sort of Frankenstein. Blah.

Kaelaroth
2009-05-03, 01:38 PM
Yup, I saw it.
I may as well have just gone back in time and killed my child-self with a stick.

Starscream
2009-05-03, 04:14 PM
My avatar is currently in mourning for his beloved Bea Arthur, so I offered to take him to see this movie in order to cheer him up.

It'll be weeks before my sword wounds heal enough for me to leave the house, by which time I fully expect Wolverine will be in gas station DVD bargain bins around the globe. So I guess I'll catch it then.

Edit:
The "I'm a Marvel/DC" videos are one of the greatest series on all of Youtube, but that one really takes the cake. I'm off to show it to everyone I know and force them to admit they like it whether or not they have ever heard of Deadpool.

zeratul
2009-05-03, 04:51 PM
So, I just saw it. And, as is becoming tradition, I will give it a brief review.

Before we start here, I know very little about the X-Men or the Marvel Mythos, and I havn't seen the other X-men movies. So This review will be based entierly on what I saw on-screen. That said, this was not a bad movie. That said, it's not a great movie, but it is entertaining, and the sheer straightforwardness of it's plot has a certain elegant simplicity.

Now, Here is how I imagine the movie was planned, remember, I know nothing about Wolverine's backstory in-comic, if he has one.
B: But, he dosn't have much backstory. He's just a badass canadian guy with metal claws, a metal skeleton, and super-Regeneration.
A: It's a fact that nothing is more badass than revenge. Let's get him really angry about somthing, and have him take vengence.
B: Okay, sounds good.
So, the first part of the movie goes like this
1: Opening Credits with Logan and Victor engaging in abunch of fights that clearly place them in a certain war. If Hollywood is to be believed, every single american who stormed Normandy was ridiculously good looking.
2: PEOPLE WITH NIFTY POWERS, SHINY SHINY!
3: Logan engages in Lumberjackery, is happy. This part of the movie contains the best line ever
"I know you want to serve you're country" "I'm Canadian"
4: REVENGE AGAINST VICTOR, DIE DIE DIE!
5: Okay Army Guy, victor is the bastard here.
6: REVENGE AGAINST ARMY GUY TOO, DIE DIE DIE!
7: Aww, nice old farmer couple.
8: Blatant kicking and shooting of Dogs.
9-end of movie: REVENGE! DIE DIE DIE
5-minutes before end: AMNESIA, thus essentially rendering the entire movie pointless.

Alright, time for the sum-up

Best Part: as may be expected, Fight Scenes. All very impressive, very shiny, and very nifty. Especially with Asian Gun Guy, but Sword guy was just over-the-top, cutting bullets in half in mid-air? Are you Serious.
Worst Part: Mute, Mind-controlled deadpool? WTF, you don't dangle "The Merc with the Mouth" in front of us, then remove the mouth, and the Mercness. It was a very impressive fight scene, and they had been dropping Cameos left and right, but those had been working with the characters. Mind you, I don't know Deadpools backstory very much, but it seemed like they could have just kept him as "Weapon 11", without dropping the Deadpool name. Especially because they gave him abunch of powers he didn't have in the one book I read that had him in it. So yeah.
The People's Conclusion: It's not a bad film to see if you like mindless action, which I do. Despite them pulling out every Cliche in the book (Not only does he walk away from an explosion, he does so less than five minutes after riding a motorcycle out of an exploding barn) they manage to make you, while not exactly Sympathize with Logan, at least understand him. You know very much that the Bad guys are Evil and the Good Guys are, well, Angry at least. They don't really go for the "Morally questionable anti-hero" bit, which is good, that's been done to death, and with the way this movie treated other tropes, it would have mean Wolverine wearing all black and going to back alleys where he kills little kids for pickpocketing.

All-in-all, I recommend you see it. I'm a little harsh up above, but that's because I'm snarky and tired. It's well-made and well-acted, so provided you havn't been spoiled by the recent really-good superhero movies (Iron Man and The Dark Knight) you should enjoy it.

Actually Wolverine has a much larger backstory than most other X-men. From the various old wars he was in, to the weapon X storyline, and then his time in Japan all prior to X-men. Though this does skew the actual weapon X storyline to an extent it did it pretty well.

I liked the movie for the most part. Gambit and deadpool were cast perfectly. Ryan Reynolds was the perfect pick for deadpool and his comedic style absolutely worked for the character. Also the sword guy you reffered to is in fact deadpool prior to the experimentation. Surprised you didn't notice that.

Deadpools powers by the way in the comic are enhanced speed and strength, master martial artist, master marksman, master swordsman, a healing factor better than Sabertooths or wolverines, he has a telepeportation device, and he has the ability to break the fourth wall.

My only real complaint is that Emma Frost should have been hotter and the love interest should have been less lame.

BRC
2009-05-03, 05:00 PM
Actually Wolverine has a much larger backstory than most other X-men. From the various old wars he was in, to the weapon X storyline, and then his time in Japan all prior to X-men. Though this does skew the actual weapon X storyline to an extent it did it pretty well.

I liked the movie for the most part. Gambit and deadpool were cast perfectly. Ryan Reynolds was the perfect pick for deadpool and his comedic style absolutely worked for the character. Also the sword guy you reffered to is in fact deadpool prior to the experimentation. Surprised you didn't notice that.

Deadpools powers by the way in the comic are enhanced speed and strength, master martial artist, master marksman, master swordsman, a healing factor better than Sabertooths or wolverines, he has a telepeportation device, and he has the ability to break the fourth wall.
Well, the question is, how much of that backstory did they mention in the X-men trilogy of movies. Unless the Amnesia-bullet had no purpose whatsoever.

I had a feeling sword-guy was Deadpool before experimentation. But I havn't read nearly enough Deadpool. I need to remedy that. What sucks is that they set up adding Deadpool, and actually have him in there for awhile. They could very easily have created Weapon 11 as he is now without making him Deadpool.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-05-03, 06:23 PM
Well, I liked the movie, but I'm willing to blame this on the fact that I'm a ladback fangirl and therefore not insistent on everything being completely accurate.

Kazuel
2009-05-03, 08:54 PM
My opinions of the mockery the movie made of Deadpool aside, I find it kind of interesting that in Cable & Deadpool Issue #2 (page 12, frame 3) Deadpool says to Cable "Hey, if you looked like Ryan Renolds corssed with a shar-pei, you'd understand". That was back in June of '02. Kind of like a little forshadowing. Don't know if you'd all care, just thought I'd share my geek lore with you guys.

BRC
2009-05-03, 08:59 PM
Good news for Deadpool fans. According to TV tropes, there is a post-credits stinger (which I hadn't heard about, so I didn't stick around for it), that makes things better. To quote Tv tropes

The stinger than apparently changes depending on the theater. In one version its shown that Deadpool is alive, has a mouth, and shushes the audience, another stinger apparently has the original Wade Wilson show up suggesting that Weapon XI isn't the real Deadpool.

WitchSlayer
2009-05-03, 09:08 PM
Good news for Deadpool fans. According to TV tropes, there is a post-credits stinger (which I hadn't heard about, so I didn't stick around for it), that makes things better. To quote Tv tropes

Only the one where he grabs the decapitated head and it shushes the audience is true. Even then after what Fox did to this movie... do you really WANT a Deadpool movie by them?

Oh oh oh, and I thought of a better answer to the title question:

"I'll look down and whisper 'no'"

Starscream
2009-05-03, 09:29 PM
Only the one where he grabs the decapitated head and it shushes the audience is true. Even then after what Fox did to this movie... do you really WANT a Deadpool movie by them?

Yeah, good point. As much as I love 'Pool, he's kind of a hard sell as far as movies go. I'm not saying a good Deadpool movie is impossible to make, but it wouldn't be easy.

That being said, it is impossible to take a character called "The Merc With A Mouth" and do that to him unless you are intentionally being a #$%&. It's like someone just read the first paragraph of his Wikipedia entry and said "Hey, you know what would('nt) be funny?"

Xallace
2009-05-03, 09:55 PM
Edit:
The "I'm a Marvel/DC" videos are one of the greatest series on all of Youtube, but that one really takes the cake. I'm off to show it to everyone I know and force them to admit they like it whether or not they have ever heard of Deadpool.

I. Fully. Concur.

This particular one was fantastic.

zeratul
2009-05-03, 11:07 PM
Yeah, good point. As much as I love 'Pool, he's kind of a hard sell as far as movies go. I'm not saying a good Deadpool movie is impossible to make, but it wouldn't be easy.

That being said, it is impossible to take a character called "The Merc With A Mouth" and do that to him unless you are intentionally being a #$%&. It's like someone just read the first paragraph of his Wikipedia entry and said "Hey, you know what would('nt) be funny?"

I think if marvel studios gets to do it instead of Fox but they keep Ryan Reynolds it would be great. Using Ryan Reynolds and keeping the unique humor of the comic, fourth wall breaking, and all of the things that make deapool awesome would make for one brilliant Dark Comedy of a movie.

WitchSlayer
2009-05-03, 11:33 PM
I, honestly, don't think they should make a Deadpool movie at all, he's one of the things that's just better left to comics like the Legion of Superheroes or the Great Lakes Avengers.

Mando Knight
2009-05-04, 12:36 AM
Edit:
The "I'm a Marvel/DC" videos are one of the greatest series on all of Youtube,

You sir, are wrong. They are in fact the greatest series to ever star action figures, and among the greatest non-commercially-produced videos in existence. :smalltongue:

Cristo Meyers
2009-05-04, 09:59 AM
Saw it Saturday, sorely unimpressed. Like others have said, after actually good superhero movies like Dark Knight something like this just can't be anything other than unimpressive, if not just downright bad

I first started losing interest at about the time of the toon-metal claws. They looks so cheesily fake that it was horrible. I liked the first half of the plot, but after that it was so jumpy and frantic that it was like even the movie itself just wanted it to be over.

Honestly, I almost wish that they hadn't included Deadpool or Gambit at all. If you're going to do a cameo, then just do a cameo. Don't do the 30 second teasers that this movie did. All they did was bait the fans.

Then, of course, what I thought was the biggest moment of Fridge Logic in a movie that I've seen in some time:

So, Stryker, on your team you have a man that can turn a semi-auto pistol into a machine gun and can presumably hit a dime from a kilometer away with a handgun, yes? So answer me this:

Why didn't you give the Magic Memory Erasing Adamantium .45 of Wolverine Shooting to HIM?

Only thing I can figure out is that Stryker must have a "Kick the Dog" clause in his government contract.

KnightDisciple
2009-05-04, 05:25 PM
Right, so just saw it, like others, the
weird maybe it's Wade Wilson Deadpool/Weapon XI thing, and the magic memory bullets disappointed me. Otherwise, it was pretty much what I expected. I did like a lot of the one liners, and Ryan Reynolds was pure gold.

Also, of the following 3 scenes:Depending on which theater the movie was shown in, one of three possible endings then appear following the credits. The first only depicts Weapon XI's hand reaching out from the rubble of the nuclear complex to touch his severed head, whereupon the head comes to life and makes a brief hushing sound before the scene fades to black; breaking the fourth wall like the Deadpool comics. The second alternate ending shows Weapon XI going to grab his head, similar to the first ending, but then a man in a black coat steps on the arm, stopping Weapon XI, and picks up the head. The camera then turns around and it is Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds) who then asks "What the hell are you supposed to be?" The third alternate scene shows Wolverine drinking at a bar in Japan. The female bartender asks if he is drinking to forget; Wolverine replies that he's drinking to remember., I only saw the third and am able to confirm its existence. I'd really like to have seen one of the others. Especially the second (of the list I posted).

Neko Toast
2009-05-04, 06:04 PM
Didn't check all of the previous posts so I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but did anyone else notice this?

When Wolverine slices through the metal with the giant 'X', the center part of the X stayed firmly in place? I mean, he slices one way with the three claws, and the other way with the three claws. The metal should have fallen out of the wall where the two claw marks intersected.

They spent so much time on the special effects that they didn't notice the fundamental laws of gravity they were breaking.

WitchSlayer
2009-05-04, 06:12 PM
Right, so just saw it, like others, the
weird maybe it's Wade Wilson Deadpool/Weapon XI thing, and the magic memory bullets disappointed me. Otherwise, it was pretty much what I expected. I did like a lot of the one liners, and Ryan Reynolds was pure gold.

Also, of the following 3 scenes:Depending on which theater the movie was shown in, one of three possible endings then appear following the credits. The first only depicts Weapon XI's hand reaching out from the rubble of the nuclear complex to touch his severed head, whereupon the head comes to life and makes a brief hushing sound before the scene fades to black; breaking the fourth wall like the Deadpool comics. The second alternate ending shows Weapon XI going to grab his head, similar to the first ending, but then a man in a black coat steps on the arm, stopping Weapon XI, and picks up the head. The camera then turns around and it is Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds) who then asks "What the hell are you supposed to be?" The third alternate scene shows Wolverine drinking at a bar in Japan. The female bartender asks if he is drinking to forget; Wolverine replies that he's drinking to remember., I only saw the third and am able to confirm its existence. I'd really like to have seen one of the others. Especially the second (of the list I posted).

Sorry to say the second one is fake, I got confirmation from a guy who works at a movie theater.

KnightDisciple
2009-05-04, 06:57 PM
Sorry to say the second one is fake, I got confirmation from a guy who works at a movie theater.

Crap.

Well, the hushing head one gives a touch of hope. Still don't like how they handled him.

sealemon
2009-05-05, 12:13 AM
Agreed on the toon claws scene...wacky Logan just doesn't work. Also, yes, the first thing I though of when I saw the old couple was The Kents. I almost expected them to see an adamantium meteor fall out of the sky, and when goign to investigate...Striker would kill them? I dunno, it was a split second scene envisioning thing.

I'm not a big fan of Deadpool at all, and I still found the end version unrecognizable. I can only assume that someone on the movie hates the Deadpool character.

Judging by the speed Wade shows against the bullets at the start fo the movie, combined with the teleportation he gains later he should have greased both Logan and Sabertooth within two seconds flat.

Agreed with above poster: Cyclops' eye beams do NOT melt things!

However, I still enjoyed the movie. It was exactly the cheesefest action movie I was expecting...even had Logan's "The best there is" speech worked in. I liked the Blob sequence ("I called him BUB."). Loved the characterization of Sabertooth. Liev did much better with the character than I thought he'd have been able to. LOVED the way Sabertooth fought--he looked like a junglecat leaping at it's prey.

After Spiderman 2, Watchmen, Iron Man, and Dark Knight, merely competent isn't good enough. That's the root of a lot of the ire this movie's taking, I think--it's merely an okay action film, when we've come to expect much more from superhero epics.

No arguements at all--I think one of the reasons I liekd the movie as well as I did is becuase I didn't expect it to be at that level. I was just hoping it'd be better than X3. 'course, an hour and a half of Logan sharpening his CGI claws and slicing up bathroom sinks would have been better than X3. :)

The thing is, Logan HAD to get amnesia, becuase this movie takes place before the original X Men movie, where Logan is introduced...with amnesia. So, yeah, while the MEOTHOD of taking his memories was kinda retarded, there was never any doubt that he would lose his memories by the end of the movie. The thing is, if they follow the plot of the comics, Logan will eventually get all his memories back, and THAT should be very interesting.

FoE
2009-05-05, 08:29 PM
I saw it last night. Unfortunately.

Now, I'm not a comics purist. I realize that some changes will be made translating the comic's story to the screen. So I can understand why they made some changes to the comic's continuity, but why did they have to change the continuity of the previous films?

Case in point: William Stryker kills this general during this fairly pointless scene in the third act Then how the f**k was he not in jail during X-Men United? How did he have the vast military resources that he had during that film?

For that matter, why did he give Logan the adamantium skeleton? That had nothing to do with his goals in the film. He wanted to make this super-solider; why did that have anything to do with grafting adamantium on to Wolverine's bones?

And what the hell was that "bullet to the brain" crap? What a lame explanation for how Wolverine's memories got wiped. How was it that a cop in X2 was able to shoot Wolverine in the head and not give him amnesia?

And why the hell did he duck into that farmhouse when the frickin' government agents were chasing him? Didn't he realize they would show up sooner or later?

WOLVERINE! YOU GOT THAT OLD COUPLE KILLED, YOU BASTARD!

I was immensely disappointed to see how they handled Deadpool. Hey, that sword thing was kind of cool. But why the hell did they make him a mouthless version of Peter Petrelli? For that matter, how did he lose that fight? Wasn't he supposed to have an assload of powers? Why didn't he just turn his skin into diamonds like Emma Frost, thereby preventing the decapitation?!

AND HOW THE HELL ARE THEY GOING TO DO A DEADPOOL MOVIE NOW?!

There were some positives. I liked most of the action scenes. I liked the humour. Unlike X-3, this movie didn't seem too overstuffed with mutants.

Still, I wish they'd taken a little more care with some of the plot points. :smallsigh:

KnightDisciple
2009-05-05, 09:24 PM
Actually, Wolverine getting the skeleton made sense for 2 reasons.

1.)They were planning to mindwipe him, likely to turn him into a nice little killing machine.

2.)They had to see for sure if his healing factor would in fact withstand the adimantium bonding. If it hadn't, they likely wouldn't have been able to graft it on Weapon XI, since Victor's healing was explicitly stated to not be up to the task.

JadedDM
2009-05-06, 02:00 AM

I work at a movie theater, also (we got four prints of the movie) and I can also confirm that the second one is fake. The other two are real, though.

FoE
2009-05-06, 07:08 PM
Actually, Wolverine getting the skeleton made sense for 2 reasons.

1.)They were planning to mindwipe him, likely to turn him into a nice little killing machine.

2.)They had to see for sure if his healing factor would in fact withstand the adimantium bonding. If it hadn't, they likely wouldn't have been able to graft it on Weapon XI, since Victor's healing was explicitly stated to not be up to the task.

You have a point. However, the supersoldier was already nigh-indestructible. He had Wolverine's healing ability, teleportation and presumably would have had Emma Frost's diamond-hard skin if the process hadn't been interrupted; wouldn't an adamantium skeleton a little redundant at that point?

And here's another problem: if Stryker had those adamantium bullets all along, why didn't he give them to Agent Zero, the mutant with the improbable aiming skills? Did someone say "plot hole"?

KnightDisciple
2009-05-06, 07:12 PM
You have a point. However, the supersoldier was already nigh-indestructible. He had Wolverine's healing ability, teleportation and presumably would have had Emma Frost's diamond-hard skin if the process hadn't been interrupted; wouldn't an adamantium skeleton a little redundant at that point?

And here's another problem: if Stryker had those adamantium bullets all along, why didn't he give them to Agent Zero, the mutant with the improbable aiming skills? Did someone say "plot hole"?

Well, the diamond skin thing seems like you have to exert an effort of will to hold it. So maybe they wanted what was essentially a passive defense. Also, you say "redundant" as if it's always a bad thing. For an expensive military weapon, it's not.

I pretty much agree on the bullets, though.

BRC
2009-05-06, 07:20 PM

Stryker didn't learn about the gun (one of the scientists had it made as a precaution without his knowledge) until after Agent Zero had gone on his ill-fated mission to shoot nice old farmer couples.

Tyrant
2009-05-06, 07:34 PM
Case in point: William Stryker kills this general during this fairly pointless scene in the third act Then how the f**k was he not in jail during X-Men United? How did he have the vast military resources that he had during that film?
They wanted to question him. His answer should have been pretty easy to guess. There were 3 guys who were big fans of stabbing people running around at that point. Pick one and blame him.

For that matter, why did he give Logan the adamantium skeleton? That had nothing to do with his goals in the film. He wanted to make this super-solider; why did that have anything to do with grafting adamantium on to Wolverine's bones?
As someone else pointed out it was to see if his healing factor could handle it so they could use it on Weapon XI. As for it being redundant, not really. He still got his head cut off, so it couldn't have been that redundant. He clearly still wasn't invincible.

And what the hell was that "bullet to the brain" crap? What a lame explanation for how Wolverine's memories got wiped. How was it that a cop in X2 was able to shoot Wolverine in the head and not give him amnesia?
The second part is easy enough to explain. The cop wasn't using adamantium bullets so there was virtually no way for them to cause serious damage to his brain (barring him getting hit right in the eye I suppose). We are to believe the adamantium bullets actually penetrated his skull and destroyed chunks of his brain. The idea is that while the cells themselves would regenerate, the memories related to them would not. It's movie science, but given that this is a movie based on a comic book (where science is questionable to put it mildly), it's nothing I would be seriously questioning.

And why the hell did he duck into that farmhouse when the frickin' government agents were chasing him? Didn't he realize they would show up sooner or later?
Did he have any reason to believe they could track him? He was absolutely nakes so unless they actually implanted something he would have no real reason to think that. I also don't think he was planning on moving in with ma and pa kettle.

I was immensely disappointed to see how they handled Deadpool. Hey, that sword thing was kind of cool. But why the hell did they make him a mouthless version of Peter Petrelli? For that matter, how did he lose that fight? Wasn't he supposed to have an assload of powers? Why didn't he just turn his skin into diamonds like Emma Frost, thereby preventing the decapitation?!
Striker said they weren't done studying Emma. That could have been a lie. But it could also have been the truth. If they weren't, odds are her powers weren't added in yet. He mentioned that some of the potential combinations simply wouldn't work.

AND HOW THE HELL ARE THEY GOING TO DO A DEADPOOL MOVIE NOW?!
I don't know but apparently they are.

I do agree on the Agent Zero point though. If the guy's power is being god with a gun and you have adamantium bullets, it does kind of seem like a no brainer.

WitchSlayer
2009-05-06, 07:38 PM
Deadpool is definitely left better to the medium of comics. They're still making a movie about him though. Apparently in said movie he can absorb powers of mutants.

kpenguin
2009-05-06, 07:44 PM
Deadpool would work as a movie only if the movie didn't take itself seriously at all. Comedy films are able to pull off fourth wall breakage.

FoE
2009-05-07, 01:06 AM
Stryker didn't learn about the gun (one of the scientists had it made as a precaution without his knowledge) until after Agent Zero had gone on his ill-fated mission to shoot nice old farmer couples.

"Hey boss, if you're sending out Agent Zero to hunt Wolverine, maybe he should take along these special 'only thing that can pierce Logan's adamantium skull' bullets that I made."

If I was Stryker, I would have fired that guy ON THE SPOT. That guy's worse than Harry Osborn's butler.

Incidentally, why the hell didn't Stryker have a back-up plan on the slim chance that the now-indestructible mutant supersolider he'd created somehow slip his grasp?

They wanted to question him. His answer should have been pretty easy to guess. There were 3 guys who were big fans of stabbing people running around at that point. Pick one and blame him.

Maybe he could dodge the murder rap, but how did he manage to keep his job after blowing half a million dollars on Wolverine and then God knows how many untold funds on the Weapon XI project?

Three Mile Island was essentially destroyed. I mean, it's not like he could hide his rather spectacular failure.

As someone else pointed out it was to see if his healing factor could handle it so they could use it on Weapon XI. As for it being redundant, not really. He still got his head cut off, so it couldn't have been that redundant. He clearly still wasn't invincible.

Hmph. I watched that fight, and the only conclusion I can reach is that Weapon XI somehow took a dive. Given the strength of Cyclops' eyebeams in the film, he should have pounded Victor into paste. And he really didn't use his teleportation to his advantage.

The second part is easy enough to explain. The cop wasn't using adamantium bullets so there was virtually no way for them to cause serious damage to his brain (barring him getting hit right in the eye I suppose). We are to believe the adamantium bullets actually penetrated his skull and destroyed chunks of his brain. The idea is that while the cells themselves would regenerate, the memories related to them would not. It's movie science, but given that this is a movie based on a comic book (where science is questionable to put it mildly), it's nothing I would be seriously questioning.

OK, I can't argue with you. But if you watch the scene where Wolverine emerges from the water tank, you see Agent Zero's bullet bounce right off of Wolverine's forehead. So how come he withstand that bullet and not the shot to the head that the cop gave him in X-2?

Did he have any reason to believe they could track him? He was absolutely naked so unless they actually implanted something he would have no real reason to think that. I also don't think he was planning on moving in with ma and pa kettle.

You just escaped a secret government facility where they just turned you into their new super-weapon. You know that they have a number of mutants on their payroll with a variety of powers. Would it be safe to assume they could NOT track you?

Striker said they weren't done studying Emma. That could have been a lie. But it could also have been the truth. If they weren't, odds are her powers weren't added in yet. He mentioned that some of the potential combinations simply wouldn't work.

Fair enough. I musta missed that part.

I realize that I may be over-thinking this movie. But damn it, if it had been a little better, I would have ignored all this crap. :smallfrown:

evisiron
2009-05-07, 05:59 AM
Just to defend the failing of 'Deadpool' in the last fight there with a point my friend made:
1) the poor guy only got off the lab table mere minutes ago, likely not used to the modifications
2) He is running off TEXT COMMANDS!
---You find yourself in a corridor. There is a Wolverine in front of you.---
>Kill Wolverine
---The Wolverine escapes to the south. The exits are North, South and Dennis. ---

:D

Alternate ending:
>Try the eye lasers
---Its Super Effective!---

KnightDisciple
2009-05-07, 10:00 AM
OK, I can't argue with you. But if you watch the scene where Wolverine emerges from the water tank, you see Agent Zero's bullet bounce right off of Wolverine's forehead. So how come he withstand that bullet and not the shot to the head that the cop gave him in X-2?

Multi-part theory:
A.)In X2, he wasn't hopped up on rage, pain, and adrenaline like he was in Origins. Also, Zero was further away, so the bullet perhaps lost some speed as opposed to the cop who was, what, maybe 5 feet away?

FoE
2009-05-07, 01:29 PM
Multi-part theory:
A.)In X2, he wasn't hopped up on rage, pain, and adrenaline like he was in Origins. Also, Zero was further away, so the bullet perhaps lost some speed as opposed to the cop who was, what, maybe 5 feet away?

What difference would adrenaline make on the hardness of Wolverine's skull?

Zero was in the same room as Logan. While I'm no expert with firearms, I don't think there's significant losses in terms of velocity if you're, say, standing ten feet from a guy as opposed to two feet when you're shooting. It's just easier to hit the target if you're standing close by.

The simplest explanation is that there's an inconsistency between the two films. Sometimes you have to put aside the Fan Wank and apply Occam's Razor.

Jibar
2009-05-07, 02:06 PM
Why does no one else wonder why Rogue didn't grow some claws in X-Men 1?
'Cos that's all I've been wondering about.

Tyrant
2009-05-07, 03:31 PM
"Hey boss, if you're sending out Agent Zero to hunt Wolverine, maybe he should take along these special 'only thing that can pierce Logan's adamantium skull' bullets that I made."

If I was Stryker, I would have fired that guy ON THE SPOT. That guy's worse than Harry Osborn's butler.
Maybe that was Harry Osborn's butler before he signed in with Norman? His latent power is the worst timing in the world.

Incidentally, why the hell didn't Stryker have a back-up plan on the slim chance that the now-indestructible mutant supersolider he'd created somehow slip his grasp?
That's a fair question. Did they in the comic book?

Maybe he could dodge the murder rap, but how did he manage to keep his job after blowing half a million dollars on Wolverine and then God knows how many untold funds on the Weapon XI project?

Three Mile Island was essentially destroyed. I mean, it's not like he could hide his rather spectacular failure.
My only thought is that despite the loss, the data they collected from the various projects had to be quite valuable. Even though things obviously went quite badly, his ideas had to be appealing to some people already. Also, I doubt the actual reason was let out as to what happened. It isn't a huge stretch to think enough people thought he had more to offer if they just kept him on a tighter leash. It's a stretch, but it's not unheard of.

Hmph. I watched that fight, and the only conclusion I can reach is that Weapon XI somehow took a dive. Given the strength of Cyclops' eyebeams in the film, he should have pounded Victor into paste. And he really didn't use his teleportation to his advantage.
Maybe Striker controlling him wasn't the best use of his talents. Or, maybe he did throw the fight. It's not uncommon for super powered fights to end in ridiulous cirumstances. How many of Superman's battles could be ended in a few seconds flat if he just used his powers properly? I do agree though, Weapon XI should have taken both of them without any real problems.

That may be an inconsistancy between the two. I think KnightDisciple may be right, or it could be an actual plot hole.

You just escaped a secret government facility where they just turned you into their new super-weapon. You know that they have a number of mutants on their payroll with a variety of powers. Would it be safe to assume they could NOT track you?
You do have a point there. I just assumed he had no plan to stay there.

I realize that I may be over-thinking this movie. But damn it, if it had been a little better, I would have ignored all this crap. :smallfrown:
I know how that goes. I get that way when I think about Superman Returns.

WitchSlayer
2009-05-07, 03:48 PM
I know how that goes. I get that way when I think about Superman Returns.

Oh gods, don't even get me started on THAT movie. I think they actually have a better chance of making a big hit Snapper Carr movie than a good Superman movie again.

FoE
2009-05-07, 04:06 PM
That's a fair question. Did they in the comic book?

In the comics, Wolverine had his memories altered before the adamantium was grafted on to his skeleton.

And yes, the Weapon X program actually did have a back-up plan should its various experiments escape.

chiasaur11
2009-05-07, 04:37 PM
In the comics, Wolverine had his memories altered before the adamantium was grafted on to his skeleton.

And yes, the Weapon X program actually did have a back-up plan should its various experiments escape.

Several, really.

And the experiments for the most part probably wouldn't make it anyway.

There's a reason Wade Wilson (or possibly someone else, and T-Ray is Wade Wilson) was dubbed Deadpool.

KnightDisciple
2009-05-07, 04:56 PM
What difference would adrenaline make on the hardness of Wolverine's skull?

Zero was in the same room as Logan. While I'm no expert with firearms, I don't think there's significant losses in terms of velocity if you're, say, standing ten feet from a guy as opposed to two feet when you're shooting. It's just easier to hit the target if you're standing close by.

The simplest explanation is that there's an inconsistency between the two films. Sometimes you have to put aside the Fan Wank and apply Occam's Razor.

Well, yeah, it was probably an inconsistency.

That said, my thinking behind adrenaline was as follows: the reason he went unconscious in X2 was something like "brain shock", because all that energy from the bullet went somewhere. In origins, he's probably running more on "instinct", so the shock didn't just knock him out.

But yeah, it's probably a flub/"look at how awesome he is!"

Starscream
2009-05-07, 06:02 PM
Why does no one else wonder why Rogue didn't grow some claws in X-Men 1?
'Cos that's all I've been wondering about.

They do. It's just that that's number 184 on the list of things that are wrong with this movie, so we haven't really gotten around to it yet.

Vaynor
2009-05-08, 08:18 PM

Actually most of the backstory is directly from the comics.

TheThan
2009-05-08, 11:19 PM
Personally I liked the movie. Despite it’s flaws at least wolverine doesn’t get his ask kicked ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIgpQZQEjsA) by a girl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFNy4_KEvFE).
seriously it's happened in two out of four movies now, that's 50%... not so good for the guy that's supposed to be the best he is at what he does.

(yeah i know that first vid sucks, but its the only one i can find on youtube.)

Humbug
2009-05-09, 05:39 AM
I'll mentioned 2 things in the movie "That Bugged Me" that hasnt been mentioned yet.

1: Cyclops wearing his ruby quartz glasses before meeting Xavier. Where did he get them? Some pawn shop that sells ruby quartz on discount?

2: KATANA BLADES coming out of Weapon 11's hands Wolverine style. KATANAS! I rolled my eyes so hard at that scene. It was so bloody lame! :smallmad: It's a classic case of Katana's Make Everything Better.

JadedDM
2009-05-09, 07:56 PM
I just wonder when exactly did Cyclops fire off heat beams from his eyes. :smalleek:

FoE
2009-05-09, 09:46 PM
Personally I liked the movie. Despite it’s flaws at least wolverine doesn’t get his ask kicked ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIgpQZQEjsA) by a girl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFNy4_KEvFE).
seriously it's happened in two out of four movies now, that's 50%... not so good for the guy that's supposed to be the best he is at what he does.

Considering those "girls" were Mystique and Lady Deathstrike — two superhumanely empowered opponents — I find your argument to be pretty goddamn ridiculous, Than.

kpenguin
2009-05-09, 09:51 PM
Well, to be frank, Mystique really shouldn't be able to kick Wolvie's ass. She's an infiltrator, not a fighter.

FoE
2009-05-09, 09:58 PM
Well, to be frank, Mystique really shouldn't be able to kick Wolvie's ass. She's an infiltrator, not a fighter.

In the comics, but the movies clearly showed she was an excellent hand-to-hand combatant even when she wasn't fighting Wolverine.

And she still lost, and so did Lady Deathstrike, so the point is moot!

TheThan
2009-05-09, 10:13 PM

My thoughts exactly. I’m cool with just the battle with Lady Deathstrike, since she does have the same power suite as wolvie, (it actually was done pretty well). But seriously mystique? Not exactly a front line fighter.

WitchSlayer
2009-05-09, 10:18 PM
I just wonder when exactly did Cyclops fire off heat beams from his eyes. :smalleek:

I know! Cyclops is supposed to fire out concussive force from his eyes! They're supposed to be punches not lasers!

chiasaur11
2009-05-09, 10:34 PM
I know! Cyclops is supposed to fire out concussive force from his eyes! They're supposed to be punches not lasers!

Yes.

As someone who is not me once said, his eyes shoot punches from the punch dimension.

Which is the best dimension ever.

Asbestos
2009-05-09, 10:39 PM
I'll mentioned 2 things in the movie "That Bugged Me" that hasnt been mentioned yet.

1: Cyclops wearing his ruby quartz glasses before meeting Xavier. Where did he get them? Some pawn shop that sells ruby quartz on discount?

2: KATANA BLADES coming out of Weapon 11's hands Wolverine style. KATANAS! I rolled my eyes so hard at that scene. It was so bloody lame! :smallmad: It's a classic case of Katana's Make Everything Better.

1. It is made all the stupider by the teacher telling him to take off his sun glasses in Spanish class. Has he been pulling the 'I have a headache' line every single day?

2. You may be right, but I think it might be because Wade already used Katanas.

Read through this and didn't see some things/would like to add my own 2 cents.
1. Everyone is related. Victor and Logan, ok, I can see that... but Emma Frost and Silver Fox?!
2. No accents! Emma is American and the guy named Remy LeBeau that hangs out on Bourbon Street doesn't sound like he's from farther south than Richmond.
3. No one ever says 'Sabretooth' and... in X1 he really doesn't seem to have any particular special interest in Wolvie or say anything to him? Did he take a bullet in the head in the future?
4. Also ripping on X1... no one at the school recognizes Wolverine? This dude saved them all merely a decade earlier, I think you might remember the crazy dude with the claws. Yes, Scott had a blindfold... but did no one describe the mysterious hero to him?
5. When Silver Fox 'dies'... Wolverine doesn't notice the distinct lack of wounds?
6. Wade has what... 6 lines? That isn't really enough to establish the 'this guy doesn't shut up' bit, at least not for me.
7. "Shoot, he's named Dead Pool but we can't name him after the actual term (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_pool) because people are ignorant or something? Wait, like, maybe he's a 'Pool' of the 'Dead'... even though not all those powers are from dead people... uh, totally"
8. So much of this 'Then we'll be as bad as you' BS. OMG, Silver Fox, you've been living a double life for years and this dude has been holding your sister ransom and now you're dying and yet... :smallsigh:
9. Stryker: "If I kill this high ranking Army Officer no one will notice and there will be no consequences." What did he think would happen?
10. Why change 'Weapon X' from being a shadowy name for a whole slew of projects to being a mere numerical designation? It makes everything about the 'Weapon X Program' so much less impressive.

FoE
2009-05-09, 11:08 PM
My thoughts exactly. I’m cool with just the battle with Lady Deathstrike, since she does have the same power suite as wolvie, (it actually was done pretty well). But seriously mystique? Not exactly a front line fighter.

Oh, all right. I thought you were complaining about girl villains being able to beat up a male superhero.

TV Tropes already has a page on the movie. I suspect it got up so fast because people wanted to take shots at it.

Anyways, someone raised a good point: if adamantium bullets can pierce Wolverine's adamantium skull and Wolverine can slice through Weapon XI's adamantium neck, then why didn't Wolverine and Weapon XI's blades break when they were fighting?

Also, the fan nickname for Weapon XI is DINO (Deadpool in Name Only).

Asbestos
2009-05-09, 11:18 PM
Anyways, someone raised a good point: if adamantium bullets can pierce Wolverine's adamantium skull and Wolverine can slice through Weapon XI's adamantium neck, then why didn't Wolverine and Weapon XI's blades break when they were fighting?

Wolvie cut through XI's neck because his claws were superheated from the heat beam eyes... and everyone knows that white hot metal is more ideal for cutting things than non-heated metal.

Starscream
2009-05-10, 12:12 AM
Also, the fan nickname for Weapon XI is DINO (Deadpool in Name Only).

I'm assuming this is a reference to GINO, the American Godzilla In Name Only.

snoopy13a
2009-05-10, 12:24 AM
I liked the movie. I wasn't expecting too much though, just a fun popcorn movie. Plus, I don't really care anything about Deadpool, don't know the character, don't care.

Asbestos
2009-05-10, 12:39 AM
I liked the movie. I wasn't expecting too much though, just a fun popcorn movie. Plus, I don't really care anything about Deadpool, don't know the character, don't care.

I bet a lot of non-Deadpool fans felt the same way after the movie, which is another failing on Fox's part... Do they think that anyone beyond Deadpool fans are going to see a Deadpool movie after this?

"Deadpool, do they mean that Weapon XI mute-thing that existed for 5 minutes and got its head cut off? Oh, its Ryan Reynolds, didn't he play that guy that we only saw 30 seconds of at the beginning?"

Just a terrible set up.

FoE
2009-05-10, 12:45 AM
Wolvie cut through XI's neck because his claws were superheated from the heat beam eyes... and everyone knows that white hot metal is more ideal for cutting things than non-heated metal.

You're joking, right?

I bet a lot of non-Deadpool fans felt the same way after the movie, which is another failing on Fox's part... Do they think that anyone beyond Deadpool fans are going to see a Deadpool movie after this?

"Deadpool, do they mean that Weapon XI mute-thing that existed for 5 minutes and got its head cut off? Oh, its Ryan Reynolds, didn't he play that guy that we only saw 30 seconds of at the beginning?".

Well, exactly. Deadpool is already fairly obscure, except among comic book fans; now they're banking an entire film on a character that had about two minutes of screen time in the fourth Wolverine movie.

Asbestos
2009-05-10, 12:52 AM
You're joking, right?

I am, but that's probably the line of thought they had. Or maybe the superheated claw cut was just there to make something like a decapitation bloodless and suitable for a PG-13 movie. Or maybe it was a rare piece of continuity?

FoE
2009-05-10, 01:03 AM
I am, but that's probably the line of thought they had. Or maybe the superheated claw cut was just there to make something like a decapitation bloodless and suitable for a PG-13 movie.

Likely they just thought it looked cool. Which it might have in a better movie.

I liked the movie. I wasn't expecting too much though, just a fun popcorn movie..

That's all I was hoping for, as well. I just wanted to be entertained!

Phexar
2009-05-10, 04:05 AM
1. Everyone is related. Victor and Logan, ok, I can see that... but Emma Frost and Silver Fox?!
2. No accents! Emma is American and the guy named Remy LeBeau that hangs out on Bourbon Street doesn't sound like he's from farther south than Richmond.
3. No one ever says 'Sabretooth' and... in X1 he really doesn't seem to have any particular special interest in Wolvie or say anything to him? Did he take a bullet in the head in the future?
4. Also ripping on X1... no one at the school recognizes Wolverine? This dude saved them all merely a decade earlier, I think you might remember the crazy dude with the claws. Yes, Scott had a blindfold... but did no one describe the mysterious hero to him?
5. When Silver Fox 'dies'... Wolverine doesn't notice the distinct lack of wounds?
6. Wade has what... 6 lines? That isn't really enough to establish the 'this guy doesn't shut up' bit, at least not for me.
7. "Shoot, he's named Dead Pool but we can't name him after the actual term (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_pool) because people are ignorant or something? Wait, like, maybe he's a 'Pool' of the 'Dead'... even though not all those powers are from dead people... uh, totally"
8. So much of this 'Then we'll be as bad as you' BS. OMG, Silver Fox, you've been living a double life for years and this dude has been holding your sister ransom and now you're dying and yet... :smallsigh:
9. Stryker: "If I kill this high ranking Army Officer no one will notice and there will be no consequences." What did he think would happen?
10. Why change 'Weapon X' from being a shadowy name for a whole slew of projects to being a mere numerical designation? It makes everything about the 'Weapon X Program' so much less impressive.

5. Eh, there was a big wound near her throat that I saw, with a lot of blood near it, and such a wound would be fatal enough... I guess that Sabretooth carefully gave her a superficial wounding beforehand to complete the charade.
9. As someone mentioned, it was just for questioning... I'd say that he pinned it on any of the three bladed individuals running around. It probably wasn't a very good idea to kill the general in the first place, though. Then again, he also probably didn't think how Zero would actually be able to recapture Wolverine, either. :smalleek: It would have been a better idea to have Wolverine pursued and tracked whilst they thought out an appropriate plan of recapture (by which time the adamantium bullets would have come up).
10. Already done in the comics actually, as I just found out. There's been 15 of the projects so far: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapon_Plus

I can't really say anything about the other points though. =/ On the subject of Deadpool, whilst his alteration into Baraka-er, Weapon XI bothered me initially, knowing that he survived the battle with his mouth intact helps, and I could see how it could lead on to his own movie and becoming Deadpool for real.

As for the decapitation, I'm guessing the only adamantium he had in him at the time was on his own katanas. They were still hours away from finishing him, remember. But then again, that doesn't explain how he was prepared to decapitate Wolverine... ah, yeah, the adamantium decapitation/bullet/blades is a plothole. :smallfrown: Also, in an irony for Stryker, him fully controlling Weapon XI was also a downfall since he seemed limited to the commands Stryker gave him and unable to use his abilities to his full extent.

KIDS
2009-05-10, 04:50 AM
Saw X-men Origins 2 days ago and, seriously, what a travesty! It pains me to see movies like this produced after good starts like X-men 1 and 2, let alone other quality comic book films. The list of things that annoyed me is way too vast to bring up here so I'll just bring up some examples:
1. The "killing your father" bit from the beginning makes no sense and also doesn't have any significance for the rest of the story. No one even mentions it once.
2. Most of the dialogues where Kayla was involved were really cheesy, and all the mashup about killing her and her "betrayal" was horribly done, with no turnabouts making sense.
3. Ridiculous (if cool looking) stunts, like the spinning bullet-deflecting katanas.
4. Wasting adamantium on Wolverine (presuming that he is still working with Sabertooth as everyone implied) for the sake of experiments, pretty much knowing what would happen?
5. Deadpool doesn't look scary, nor is he particularly powerful. Also, having two (three) regenerating heroes fight each other makes for a boring fight.
6. The way Stryker controls Deadpool, by TYPING in commands? Lolwhut? What if he mistypes? What if the command is a long word, like with decapitate? Sigh.
7. Cardboard moralizing, when Kayla doesn't kill Stryker but goes on to say some **** about how much better she is than him and has him do something pointless.
8. The entire movie, particularly the "plot twists" in the end, are rendered pointless with amnesia.

It's not a super-massive failure like Jumper or something, but it's very disappointing, and in the era of resurging "origins" films, I thought that at least the directors/writers have learned their lesson after, say, X-men 3. Apparently they haven't :)

FoE
2009-05-10, 05:36 AM
To be fair, the movie had to have Wolverine's memories altered in some way. That was set up in the previous films and there wasn't really a way around it.

The way those memories got erased, however, was the silly part.

Humbug
2009-05-11, 07:59 PM
Silver Fox's 'death' didn't bother me so much other than Wolvie's Big Noooo, (or Big Arrg if you will) but it's pretty much that he just... left her there. Yea, he didn't bother to bring her body to the coroner to make sure she gets a proper burial or anything, he just leaves her body in the middle of the woods to be scavenged by woodland animals. Way to show how much you love her, Logan.

You could say that Wolvie was blinded by revenge or something, but come on, Victor wasn't going anywhere, and in fact, he was expecting Wolverine to come charging at him anytime, I'm sure Wolvie could spare an hour or so just to drop off Silver Fox's body and then go on a rampage. But then again, that would throw the plot completely out of whack eh? The writers probably didn't want to tackle that sort of detail. :smallyuk:

FoE
2009-05-11, 10:20 PM
Silver Fox's 'death' didn't bother me so much other than Wolvie's Big Noooo, (or Big Arrg if you will) but it's pretty much that he just... left her there. Yea, he didn't bother to bring her body to the coroner to make sure she gets a proper burial or anything, he just leaves her body in the middle of the woods to be scavenged by woodland animals. Way to show how much you love her, Logan.

Since she was setting him up, maybe she told him that if she was murdered, she wanted her body left out in the woods for animals to pick apart? Bet that was an awkward conversation. :smalltongue:

Also, that Big Nooooooooo was full of Narm.

Arlion
2009-05-12, 02:25 PM
or maybe when he touched her,she influenced him to left she on the woods

Aotrs Commander
2009-05-13, 08:20 AM
I went to see it yesterday. I'm a big Wolverine fan (him being my second favourite X-Man after Jubilee).

And I got exactly what I expected. Wolverine running around, kicking the crap out of guys and making a few choice one-liners. I thought it was both marvellous and freakin' hilarious.

Okay, him not stiffing Sabretooth was a bit tedious, but also kinda necessary otheriwse he wouldn't have been in X-Men 1.

I found some of the critism from the non-comic-fan film reviewers (whose opinion I find generally laughable anyway, since most of the are biased towards non-sci-fi/fantasy, so-called mature films; which always seem to consist of actors being very miserable and this being considered the epitome of enterainment) was missing the point. "Why do we care about him, he doesn't get hurt" to paraphase some of them. Well, um...duh? Seriously, anyone who has ever actually read, played or watched pretty much anything with Wolvie in knows the whole healing factor thing - kinda the point, chaps. Gee, oh no, a hero who doesn't actually have to follow the rigid guidelines of "must have blood all over him and facial injuries by end of film". What a tragedy... Call me crazy, but just on occasion, I like to see the good guys just run slipshod all over the villains, while laughing. Wolverine at least comes closer than most.

As for Deadpool, I think people are looking at this the wrong way. Okay, so, yes, he didn't come right out of the gate being the Merc-with-a-mouth we love now, but he didn't use to be that way to start off in the comics, either, as I recall. But, he's getting his own movie now, when he hopefully won't need to waste as much time on his backstory (since it's already partly covered) and get on with the comedy mayhem. Still, that was better than trying to cram him in his entirity Venom-style into the movie (and leaving him out totally might mean he'd never get his own spin-off.)

Also, he was awesome. Not only did he get do that whole bullet-deflect-y thing at the start, he got to duff up Wolverine and Sabretooth simultaneously! And, on top of everything else, he's got a freakin' upgrade with all those extra superpowers! Has no-one thought of the potential of a stronger, more powerful Deadpool with eyebeams? Seriously, what's not to like in that concept? One feels Deadpool's own reaction (unless I'm totally misjudging him here - and I don't think I am) would be something like "I get to kill people with my eyes!? Awesome!" (Sorry, that's as close as I think I can do to yellow without it being unreadable.) It's Deadpool, but with actual LASERS! (If the movie is to be belived.) And everything is better with lasers.

(I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about a Deadpool movie, as most of the most recent movies have been good (but then again, I liked X-3, so what do I know).)

Overall, I was pretty sanguine about the whole thing. Roll on the next one, I say.

The worst thing about Wolverine, of course, was that Jubilee wasn't in it. Or perhaps even yet it would have been better to have been X-Men Origins: Jubilee and been about her. Sadly, not likely, but I can dream, right?

Humbug
2009-05-14, 07:45 PM
or maybe when he touched her,she influenced him to left she on the woods
Maybe, if we were given any indication that this actually happened, and err, I'm not exactly sure, but wasn't Wolvie immune to her powers or something? Anyway, I'm more likely to chalk it up as lazy writing on the writer's part.