PDA

View Full Version : [Template] Graft Twisted

Lucid_Archon
2006-08-10, 07:56 PM
I'm very new to this homebrew thing, so be kind and tell me of any design faux pas I may make.

Graft Twisted Template
It is dangerous to use any type of graft, even in the best of circumstances. If the host has conflicting grafts or the graft is improperly prepared it can wreak havoc on the host’s physiology. The grafts absorb the host body, and destroy its mind, transforming the host into a feral monster.

Sample Graft Twisted Creature
Graft Twisted 3rd Level Human Monk
Medium Aberration (Augmented Humanoid)
Hit Dice: 3d8 + 9 + 3 (26 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft.
Armor Class: 19 (+3 Dex, +3 natural, +3 Wis) touch 16, flat-footed 16
Base Attack / Grapple: +2 / +5
Attack: Slam +5 (1d6+3) or Unarmed Strike +5 (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Slam +5 (1d6+3) or Unarmed Strike +5 (1d6+3) or Flurry of Blows +3/+3 (1d6+3)
Space / Reach: 5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks: Flurry of Blows
Special Qualities: Evasion, Still Mind, Assimilated Grafts, Intuitive Grafts
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +6
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 3, Wis 17, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +11, Spot +11, Climb +9, Jump +9
Feats: Alertness, Power Attack, Toughness, Deflect Arrows, Stunning Fist
Challenge Rating: 5
Possessions: Treebark Carapace**
Treasure: None (other than possessions)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Combat
A graft twisted monk fades into combat, attacking the closest enemy with a flurry of blows. It relies on its graft abilities to keep it alive while it fights. While it doesn’t understand strategy, it will retreat is overpowered.

Assimilated Grafts (ex): A graft twisted creature is always found with one or more grafts. These grafts are usually worth about 3 times the standard amount of treasure for a creature of its CR. In addition, these grafts do not apply graft sacrifices and can be chosen from different kinds**.
Intuitive Grafts (ex): The creature’s grafts have become a part of their physiology, and they may use them more efficiently than normal. The DC on all of the creatures grafts are boosted by +2.

Creating a Graft Twisted Creature
The “graft twisted template” is an inherited template that can be applied to any living, corporeal creature that can acquire a graft*.
The graft twisted creature uses all the base creature’s statistics except as follows;
Size and Type: The creatures type changes to aberration. Do not recalculate Hit Dice, Base Attack Bonus, or saves. The size remains unchanged.
Speed: Use the speed of the base creature.
Armor Class: Natural armor improves by +2. This stacks with the base creature’s natural armor, if any.
Attacks: The base creature retains all of its natural attacks, but loses the ability to wield weapons. It also gains a slam attack.
Damage: The creature’s slam attack deals damage based on its size.
Fine: 1
Diminutive: 1d2
Tiny: 1d3
Small: 1d4
Medium: 1d6
Large: 1d8
Huge: 2d6
Gargantuan: 2d8
Colossal: 4d6
Special Abilities: The creature retains all of its special attacks, but some of them may be hard or impossible to use due to its lowered intelligence score.
Special Qualities: The creature retains all of its special qualities, and gains the following:
Assimilated Grafts (ex): A graft twisted creature is always found with one or more grafts. These grafts are usually worth about 3 times the standard amount of treasure for a creature of its CR. In addition, these grafts do not apply graft sacrifices and can be chosen from different kinds**.
Intuitive Grafts (ex): The creature’s grafts have become a part of their physiology, and they may use them more efficiently than normal. The DC on all of the creatures grafts are boosted by +2.
Abilities: Modify from the base creature as follows; Str +2, Dex +2, Con +2, Int becomes 3, Wis +4, Cha -4
Skills: Do not recalculate skills based on new intelligence. The creature retains all of its skills.
Challenge Rating: +2
Treasure: None (other than the grafts)

* Fiend Folio, Magic of Eberron, Libris Mortis
** Magic of Eberron

illathid
2006-08-11, 03:28 AM
I like this template, I may use in an upcoming campaign.

Treasure: None (other than the grafts)

All I have to say is I never, ever, want to see anyone trying to loot a graft. :o

Fizban
2006-08-11, 04:27 AM
I'm pretty sure you can't loot a graft from a dead creature. Thats what it says in Races of the Dragon, but I don't like what they did with grafts there anyway (waaaaay to expensive, and horrible horrible penalties).
Also, unless the creature was born with the grafts, It's an accuired template.

SlaadLord
2006-08-11, 11:47 AM
Hmmm...interesting concept, I like it.

The Glyphstone
2006-08-11, 05:48 PM
Don't want to think about them being born grafted...

You should add Lords of Madness to the list...it's got tons of neat abberation grafts in there. Without the stupid penalties given in Races of Ebberon, either!