PDA

View Full Version : Shameless Self Promotion

Human Paragon 3
2009-05-04, 10:43 PM
Is there a place on these forums for my shameless self promotion? I'd like to make a game I designed and am self-publishing on a limited scale known to the playground (since I think a lot of them would be interested in it) but I don't want to break any forum rules in doing so.

Are plugs allowed, and if yes, where should they be put?

kpenguin
2009-05-04, 10:47 PM
Since Rustkarn hasn't been banned yet, every single post you make.:smalltongue:

In all seriousness, just plug it in whatever forum you feel is relevant to your game. People have done so before without any repercussions.

Jack Squat
2009-05-04, 10:50 PM
Well, you can't advertise (for profit anyways), but I would think you could maybe talk about your game, how it works, ask for critique, etc. and post a link. Best spot I can think of would be one of the gaming forums, whichever one's appropriate.

I would get mod approval before posting, but gaming would be the right place if there is one.

Icewalker
2009-05-04, 11:22 PM
You could put up a thread about it in probably the Homebrew section, I'm sure it would be fine. You can also reference it in your sig. I'd guess as long as you aren't actively advertising in a 'buy this' fashion, so much as a 'what do you think of my game' fashion, it'll be fine.

Rutskarn
2009-05-05, 12:00 AM
Since Rustkarn hasn't been banned yet, every single post you make.:smalltongue:

Hey, I thought my ears were burning!

Any case, from what I've gathered, you're free to create a thread based on it and/or reference it when appropriate.

Also, you should totally go visit http://www.farmnetservices.com/!

Uh. Wrong url.

Well, you know the drill, anyway.

Killer Angel
2009-05-05, 02:58 AM
Is there a place on these forums for my shameless self promotion? I'd like to make a game I designed and am self-publishing on a limited scale known to the playground (since I think a lot of them would be interested in it) but I don't want to break any forum rules in doing so.

I suggest to PM a Mod before opening a thread. In this way, you'll have no problems.

Roland St. Jude
2009-05-05, 10:28 AM
If it's your original artistic work, you can link to it in your signature and start one thread about it in whatever forum you feel would be most appropriate.

If it were something you were just reselling, that wouldn't be allowed here. And if you start cross-posting or even repeatedly creating threads on something, even if it were otherwise allowed, we'd stop that, too.

Rockphed
2009-05-06, 01:20 AM
As an addendum to what Roland said, if the thread you start doesn't do anything, don't bump it. If people think your game is good, we will talk about it. If we think it stinks, we will probably look at the thread, look at the game, and say a terse, "Your game stinks because of X, Y, and Z." If your game starts off okay but turns into a virus after it is played for more than 10 hours, we will get through half a thread of slowly diminishing praise for your work, followed by 12 and a half threads of derision and snarking, plus a sister thread where we tear your work apart for our amusement. All three of those have happened in the Webcomics forum, which is much more full of shameless self promotion than anything except the Arts and Crafts forum.

Okay, I now have a question for Our Modly Mods: If I have a shameless self promotion thread, and it dies, are there any criteria I should use to determine whether it would be acceptable to start a new one? (not that I am about to start a thread promoting myself, this is just for future reference)

Human Paragon 3
2009-05-06, 10:47 PM
Thanks guys, especially Roland. Posting in Games now.

OracleofWuffing
2009-05-07, 04:32 PM
If it's your original artistic work, you can link to it in your signature and start one thread about it in whatever forum you feel would be most appropriate.

If it were something you were just reselling, that wouldn't be allowed here. And if you start cross-posting or even repeatedly creating threads on something, even if it were otherwise allowed, we'd stop that, too.
If the work is being resold, does that override the artistic work ruling? For example, a CafePress, Zazzle, or Etsy store- the design is an artistic work, but the big commercial business is goint to take a cut from the price, regardless of whether or not the work is marked up for the artist.