PDA

View Full Version : 10 level d20

purplearcanist
2009-05-07, 07:40 PM
Anyway, I had several ideas for modding d20, feel free to critique:

-all base classes would have a level cap at level 10.
-all base classes will have a good capstone ability at level 10, which would basically be an incentive to pursue a class to the final level.
-the rules on multiclassing would be relaxed. You could advance in two classes, and your favored class (excluding prestiege classes). I am planning on also including another feat (you get another favored class) for truly outrageous class combinations.
-Spells would be limited to level 4, and you would only get the level 4 slot if you have all 10 levels in the casting class and a casting stat of 18+ (maybe). Basically, magic has a limit. This limit can only be overriden by doing an extremely hard quest, depending on the nature of the magic, and multiclassing into a prestiege class.
-One goal of the project is to make it so that fighters and wizards are able to go toe to toe with each other, so that fighting and magic is balanced, but there would also be flavor.
-Part of this project will involve reamping the spell system (making new spells), changing up the base classes somewhat, etc.

OK, I am ready to hear your thoughts before starting the project. Let the criticism begin!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-05-07, 08:36 PM
Well, as someone doing something rather similiar (shameless plug for G7), I'm willing to offer help/ideas/support as needed. It's an idea that I'm fond of in any form, so I say full steam ahead, and contact me if you need/want advice, critique, ideas, complaints, or anything else.

Knaight
2009-05-07, 08:49 PM
E6 would work pretty well for this, just extend it upward a little bit. The only problem with this is it reduces the impact of having two attacks for martial types, and having somewhere where they get 3 would also give level 6 spells to wizards, which nobody wants.

Actually E6 in general seems like it will work, with minimal modifications to classes (just a capstone ability). If 10 levels is absolutely necessary, then have "blank" levels above the current ones, which give +1 to one save and a d8 hit die, or +1 to two saves and a d4 hit die. No more BAB, spells, etc.

Stormthorn
2009-05-07, 11:56 PM
Wouldnt capping spells at level 4 not provide any incentive for a spellcaster to advance all the way to the cap of level 10 (where they would normaly have level 5 spells)?

If that cap is breakable with prestige classes it seems like adding fuel to the fire. And by fire i mean the insane number of presitge classes people use to try and make the most game-breaking character possible.

If its available by questing then only a certain sort of DM and players will be playing your version. (Hey guys, how about the entire party spend a whole session getting one character a level 5 spell? Sounds fun right?)

purplearcanist
2009-05-08, 09:56 AM
Wouldnt capping spells at level 4 not provide any incentive for a spellcaster to advance all the way to the cap of level 10 (where they would normaly have level 5 spells)?

If that cap is breakable with prestige classes it seems like adding fuel to the fire. And by fire i mean the insane number of presitge classes people use to try and make the most game-breaking character possible.

If its available by questing then only a certain sort of DM and players will be playing your version. (Hey guys, how about the entire party spend a whole session getting one character a level 5 spell? Sounds fun right?)

1. There is going to be a different spellcasting progression. 4th level spells are unavailable until spellcaster level 10.

2. The idea was that overly powerful magic was rare, that these spellcasters were hard to find. Similarly, it is hard to become a powerful avatar of your god/deity.

3. The spells are not going to be Dungeons and Dragons spells.

4. There will be possible drawbacks to having additional spells beyond 4th level. Suddenly, becoming a cleric 10/wizard 10 sounds appealing.

Stormthorn
2009-05-08, 01:45 PM
1. There is going to be a different spellcasting progression. 4th level spells are unavailable until spellcaster level 10.

2. The idea was that overly powerful magic was rare, that these spellcasters were hard to find. Similarly, it is hard to become a powerful avatar of your god/deity.

3. The spells are not going to be Dungeons and Dragons spells.

4. There will be possible drawbacks to having additional spells beyond 4th level. Suddenly, becoming a cleric 10/wizard 10 sounds appealing.

Now it seems like your suggestions are just a pretty wrapping on a plan to nerf all spallcasters in favor of only playing combat classes. A guy with 4th level divine and arcane spells (and pretty much no other tricks) wont be nearly a match for a guy with 10 levels of fighter and 10 levels of barbarian.

If the spells arnt DnD spells it doesnt matter what level they would be at. You could start your spell levels at 9000 if you wanted if yourt inventing your own system. (good luck on that, btw.)