PDA

View Full Version : Music Champ

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-05-07, 09:06 PM
I'm sorta a bit stunned right now, and a bit gloat-y but whatever.

Anyways, so at my school this year, the local cops, a local guitar manufacturer (Dot on Shaft Guitars), and a local band (Tracenine) got together and started this program called "Music Not Mischief", to give kids a good role-model in life, right? And the main part of this program was a sort of guitar contest, where a bunch of the kids practiced every week with a bunch of policemen that came into the school, and would then perform a piece with the band, in front of musically acclaimed judges, including the North American Guitar Champion, and at least 2 world successful metal musicians whose names escape me right now, one of which was the guitarist for the band Revolver.

Anyways, I played, and I won a guitar, an amp, and some music from Revolver, as well as a bunch of pictures, interviews, and a bunch more gig dates.

I'll probably go over this later and re-write it, as I'm a bit tired right now.

Lupy
2009-05-07, 09:18 PM
Congratulations!

That's fantastic.

Does the program continue now or just end?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-05-07, 09:24 PM
Well, it looks like all the competitors are going to do some gigs around town, in different schools and stuff, to see if we can get a few more schools doing this.

And then it's continuing next year to. Lot's of fun.

randman22222
2009-05-08, 02:20 AM
Fun stuff; I envy you. All we really have here are school gigs. :smallconfused:

Icewalker
2009-05-08, 02:26 AM
Wow, well done. Good to get rewarded for such things, and sounds like a good cause as well as just awesome in general.

Linkavitch
2009-05-08, 10:51 AM
Congrats. As a guitar player myself, I can understand that you were probably up against some stiff competition. Two questions:

Question One: Who was the North American Guitar Champion that you mentioned? I'd like to look up some of his (or her) stuff.

Question Two: What kind of guitar did you get? Was it one of the local companies, or was it a brand you could get anywhere?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-05-08, 06:24 PM
I'm pretty certain I didn't get through on skill, but on presentation.

The judges were:

1. Jamie Robinson 2007 North American Rock Guitar Champion
2. Nick Walsh Juno Award winning lead vocalist for Slik Toxik and Revolver
3. Joe Polito Lead guitarist for littleSUNDAY
4. Nick Sinopoli Lead vocalist for Bachman/Cummings backing band The Carpet Frogs
5. Jeff Jones Bass player for The Carpet Frogs and Red Rider
6. Supt Ruth White Unit Commander of 14 Division
7. Scott Penfold DJ, 94.9 The Rock FM radio
8. Alan Marginean Producer, Composer, Key creative for Killer Audio
9. Marshall Dane Recording Artist

The guitar I played on, and got, was a Ba Dasse made by the company Dot On Shaft, a local company.

Moff Chumley
2009-05-08, 09:49 PM
Dude. Awesome. :smallbiggrin:

I wish I lived in a community with that kind of infrastructure... damn Canadians, always proving completely superior to us gringos... :smallwink:

Crimmy
2009-05-11, 05:46 PM
Wat U say??

What about mexicanos and our Grito de guerra??