PDA

View Full Version : Music Champ

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-05-07, 09:06 PM
I'm sorta a bit stunned right now, and a bit gloat-y but whatever.

Anyways, so at my school this year, the local cops, a local guitar manufacturer (Dot on Shaft Guitars), and a local band (Tracenine) got together and started this program called "Music Not Mischief", to give kids a good role-model in life, right? And the main part of this program was a sort of guitar contest, where a bunch of the kids practiced every week with a bunch of policemen that came into the school, and would then perform a piece with the band, in front of musically acclaimed judges, including the North American Guitar Champion, and at least 2 world successful metal musicians whose names escape me right now, one of which was the guitarist for the band Revolver.

Anyways, I played, and I won a guitar, an amp, and some music from Revolver, as well as a bunch of pictures, interviews, and a bunch more gig dates.

I'll probably go over this later and re-write it, as I'm a bit tired right now.

Lupy
2009-05-07, 09:18 PM
Congratulations!

That's fantastic.

Does the program continue now or just end?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-05-07, 09:24 PM
Well, it looks like all the competitors are going to do some gigs around town, in different schools and stuff, to see if we can get a few more schools doing this.

And then it's continuing next year to. Lot's of fun.

randman22222
2009-05-08, 02:20 AM
Fun stuff; I envy you. All we really have here are school gigs. :smallconfused:

Icewalker
2009-05-08, 02:26 AM
Wow, well done. Good to get rewarded for such things, and sounds like a good cause as well as just awesome in general.

Linkavitch
2009-05-08, 10:51 AM
Congrats. As a guitar player myself, I can understand that you were probably up against some stiff competition. Two questions:

Question One: Who was the North American Guitar Champion that you mentioned? I'd like to look up some of his (or her) stuff.

Question Two: What kind of guitar did you get? Was it one of the local companies, or was it a brand you could get anywhere?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-05-08, 06:24 PM
I'm pretty certain I didn't get through on skill, but on presentation.

The judges were:

1. Jamie Robinson – 2007 North American Rock Guitar Champion
2. Nick Walsh – Juno Award winning lead vocalist for Slik Toxik and Revolver
3. Joe Polito – Lead guitarist for littleSUNDAY
4. Nick Sinopoli – Lead vocalist for Bachman/Cummings backing band The Carpet Frogs
5. Jeff Jones – Bass player for The Carpet Frogs and Red Rider
6. Supt Ruth White – Unit Commander of 14 Division
7. Scott Penfold – DJ, 94.9 The Rock FM radio
8. Alan Marginean – Producer, Composer, Key creative for Killer Audio
9. Marshall Dane – Recording Artist

The guitar I played on, and got, was a Ba Dasse made by the company Dot On Shaft, a local company.

Moff Chumley
2009-05-08, 09:49 PM
Dude. Awesome. :smallbiggrin:

I wish I lived in a community with that kind of infrastructure... damn Canadians, always proving completely superior to us gringos... :smallwink:

Crimmy
2009-05-11, 05:46 PM
Wat U say??

What about mexicanos and our Grito de guerra??