PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man

Gaelbert
2009-05-07, 11:30 PM
I'll keep this simple. I want to start reading Iron Man comics, or watching a mini series, or whatever. I've never read any comic book before, with the exception of Watchmen. I have no clue where to start off, and the myriad of series confuse me. My experience with Iron Man is limited to the song and the movie.

If anyone could give me a good starting point, I would be much obliged. I don't really care what sort of media it is, be it novel, comic book, video game, T.V. series. However, my access to comic books are limited. I'd have to use the internet for finding those. Many thanks.

zeratul
2009-05-07, 11:33 PM
Well firstly you should know that iron man the marvel character has no association with the song other than name. If you want an idea of what's going on with iron man now you should go to your local book store like Barnes and Noble and check out some of the graphic novels of him starting with iron man :civil war, then moving on to the mighty avengers comics. Bear in mind that Iron Man is kind of a **** now and from what I understand he used to be totally awesome so maybe you want to find older stuff. His character right now is still really interesting though.

Mordar
2009-05-07, 11:52 PM
If you want an idea of what's going on with iron man now you should go to your local book store like Barnes and Noble and check out some of the graphic novels of him starting with iron man :civil war, then moving on to the mighty avengers comics.

I strongly agree with the idea of heading out to grab some Graphic Novels or compilations/trades...but I really want to root against starting with something as complex and "busy" as Civil War. That being said, I'm not sure what all is available in that format...did they do an Ultimate book for Iron Man (or was it just the 2 comics)? Maybe go that route, or head for some Avengers trades...and don't forget the Avengers and Iron Man animated movies - they're both decent or better!

- M

chiasaur11
2009-05-08, 12:03 AM
Well, Fraction's current run I've heard good things about.

And Michelinie and Layton's run is solid, from what little I've seen.

WitchSlayer
2009-05-08, 12:27 AM
The Extremis arc is a good start.

Starscream
2009-05-08, 04:39 AM
Yeah, I always recommend trade paperbacks for people who want to get into comics. You can pick and choose the best stories and don't have to wait a month for each installment.

That's how I got started about ten years ago when I wanted to get into Batman. Now I am a certified dork with a huge comic book collection, a stick figure version of Deadpool for my forum avatar, and much less disposable income.

And all this can be yours for a monthly payment of ($2.99 x however many books you end up following). Thanks comic book industry!

Nah, in all seriousness, comics are fun. And Iron Man is cool, even if he does have a serious case of #$%& pox these days.

Hzurr
2009-05-08, 01:56 PM
A place I recommend starting is with Ultimates Vol 1

Technically, it's not cannon Iron Man, but it gives a good view of Iron Man/Tony Stark's personality, how he functions with his team mates, etc., and it starts from scratch, so you don't need to really be familiar with the character before hand.

Also, I always had trouble following comic continuity sometimes, because the numbering system isn't always applied, so if you're going to go with the Ultimate books, here's the order:

Ultimates Vol 1
Ultimates Vol 2
Ultimates 2 Vol 1
Ultimates 2 Vol 2

(note: You may see something "claiming" to be Ultimates 3. This is a lie, it doesn't really exist, and nothing you can do will make me accept that it's real)

The books focus on all of the Avengers (Particularly Captain America), but there's still some awesome Iron Man stuff in there.

----------Edit---------------

In general, if you're interested in getting into comics, I recommend finding a friend you trust, and having him or her filter for you. There's a lot of crap comics out there, and if you just dive in headfirst, you might miss out on the good stuff because of all the crap that's in the way.

Get someone to filter for you, and only get you the good stuff until you're familiar enough and comfortable enough to be able to sort through the good from the bad.

Mando Knight
2009-05-08, 02:06 PM
If you've got about $60 (US), you can sign up for Marvel's digital comic archives (http://marvel.com/digitalcomics/), which has several current story arcs and several thousand older comics. Since Iron Man is one of the "classic" Marvel heroes, he's pretty much everywhere, has dozens of mini-series and re-envisioned versions, and is a perennial member of the Avengers. Therefore, you're probably getting a couple hundred dollars' worth of Iron Man (and Spider-Man and X-Men and Captain America and the Fantastic Four...) for the cost of only a few annual subscriptions.

Off the top of my head, out of the more recent stuff it's got at least a bunch of the Civil War storyline, a good chunk of the Ultimate universe, and a good bit of the Mangaverse as well. Haven't checked up on it too much lately.

WalkingTarget
2009-05-08, 02:15 PM
A place I recommend starting is with Ultimates Vol 1

Technically, it's not cannon Iron Man, but it gives a good view of Iron Man/Tony Stark's personality, how he functions with his team mates, etc., and it starts from scratch, so you don't need to really be familiar with the character before hand.

Also, I always had trouble following comic continuity sometimes, because the numbering system isn't always applied, so if you're going to go with the Ultimate books, here's the order:

Ultimates Vol 1
Ultimates Vol 2
Ultimates 2 Vol 1
Ultimates 2 Vol 2

(note: You may see something "claiming" to be Ultimates 3. This is a lie, it doesn't really exist, and nothing you can do will make me accept that it's real)

The books focus on all of the Avengers (Particularly Captain America), but there's still some awesome Iron Man stuff in there.

----------Edit---------------

In general, if you're interested in getting into comics, I recommend finding a friend you trust, and having him or her filter for you. There's a lot of crap comics out there, and if you just dive in headfirst, you might miss out on the good stuff because of all the crap that's in the way.

Get someone to filter for you, and only get you the good stuff until you're familiar enough and comfortable enough to be able to sort through the good from the bad.

Good advice. Just keep in mind that the Ultimate versions of several characters take their canon versions' character flaws to extremes (giant man/ant man hit his wife once in the normal comics, he's an out-and-out wife beater in Ultimate, though the abuse goes both ways, likewise Tony Stark had problems with alcoholism in the past, but the Ultimate version is a lush, etc). They're still good comics though. I really like Ultimate Captain America.

There are other non-canon stories out there that are excellent. Kingdom Come for DC is still one of my all-time favorites. Likewise Marvels does some of the Marvel universe's early story lines from the perspective of a regular person (both of these are illustrated by Alex Ross). Marvel's Earth X was interesting, even if it's sequels weren't as good (in my opinion). These are all self-contained stories, though, and don't have an ongoing continuity like the Ultimate series does (did? I'm unclear as to if it's officially over by now).

Mando Knight
2009-05-08, 02:31 PM
I really like Ultimate Captain America.

And then there's Ultimate Nick Fury (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SamuelLJackson).

Arlion
2009-05-08, 05:34 PM
i would reccomend the ultimates books,but the ultimate universe is being killed in cold blood in Ultimatum.

The ultimates 1 and 2 are reallly good,though

Nameless
2009-05-08, 05:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2APuxubWSmE

:smallsmile:

Hawriel
2009-05-09, 03:32 AM
Go to a comic book store and ask the guys working there that you want to read Iron Man. Ask them what TPBs (trade paiper backs) are good intro stories. A sign of a good comic shop is if they have shelves dedicated to trades/graphic novels of just about every thing printed.

You can get reprinted volumes of Iron man, and almost every other marvel character, from the begining. They will be large. About an inch thick and in black and white. Marvel Showcase is the title of these collections. Thumb through them get what looks good. Again wile looking at the trades ask the guy that works at the store what is a good story to start on.