PDA

View Full Version : The best music of 2009 Thus far

Moff Chumley
2009-05-09, 02:35 PM
I gotta nominate Decemberists and Animal Collective. The Wanting Comes in Waves (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHrMkPol_6o) is pure beastliness, and My Girls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zol2MJf6XNE) is destined to be the Smells Like Teen Spirit of my generation. Or at least it should be...

Thoughts on the above two songs, and nominations of your own?

Tamburlaine
2009-05-09, 02:44 PM
The Wanting Comes in Waves is good, but I preferred The Rake's Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULSKZ7IP930) from the same album. Sadly, the video of My Girls ain't available in my country, so I can't comment.

I... can't really think of any other good music from 2009, I should keep up with new music more, it would seem.

zeratul
2009-05-09, 02:45 PM
I'd have to add the album Crógacht by SuidAkrA, and Evocation I by eluveitie to the list. Particularly the songs Shattering Swords (SuidAkrA) and Omnos (eluveitie)

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-10, 03:27 AM
The new Candlemass, Kreator, and Napalm Death are good. I've heard that the new Mastodon is good too, but I havn't listened to it.

Then again, it doesn't sound like the OP is a metal fan.

Moff Chumley
2009-05-11, 08:05 PM
A bit. I love Dream Theater, but I didn't put them up because the new albums single is only decent and I'm resisting the temptation to listen to leaks. :smallannoyed:

Decoy Lockbox
2009-05-12, 07:09 PM
A bit. I love Dream Theater, but I didn't put them up because the new albums single is only decent and I'm resisting the temptation to listen to leaks. :smallannoyed:

Yeah I can see that. I haven't heard too much of their stuff, but my favorite is "Images and Words".

xPANCAKEx
2009-05-12, 08:37 PM
the "field studies" split between This Will Destroy You and Lymbyc Systym

"junior" by Royksopp

the 2009 demo by Burning Love

warty goblin
2009-05-12, 08:48 PM
I'm seriously looking forward to 21st Century Breakdown, the new Green Day album. Not technically out yet (comes out Friday), but what I've heard of it sounds really good. Sure it has the potential to basically be an American Idiot retread, but given I still listen to that album essentially weekly all these years later, how would that qualify as a bad thing?

Silence
2009-05-12, 08:54 PM
None of my favorite bands have released a song so far this year... Dang.

Sequinox
2009-05-12, 09:02 PM
I have yet to buy it, but The Empyrean, by John Frusciante, is supposed to be great. If only anywhere near here sold in on a CD... I know there's iTunes and such, but I like having my music in a tangible format.

I don't have much that came out this year yet, but last year... Ooh boy. Great year for music. Viva la Vida, Consolers of the Lonely, Narrow Stairs, Flight of the Conchords... Yum.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-05-12, 09:12 PM
The new Candlemass, Kreator, and Napalm Death are good. I've heard that the new Mastodon is good too, but I havn't listened to it.

Then again, it doesn't sound like the OP is a metal fan.

Heard the new Mastodon was good ... from KLOSE? :smallbiggrin:

Brilliant albums I'm currently aware of from this year are Mastodon's Crack the Skye HammerFall's No Sacrifice, No Victory and Lamb of God's Wrath

Still, damn non metalheads. :smallwink:

EDIT: O+_+O I forgot the new Cannibal Corpse!

Evisceration Plague is both winful and brilliant. Srsly.

Athaniar
2009-05-18, 04:30 AM
Eurovision had many good songs, as every year: Turkey, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Finland, Greece, Bosnia/Hercegovina... But not Norway. I hate that song.

Moff Chumley
2009-05-18, 06:24 PM
Listened to new Green Day. Didn't like it one bit. >.<

Gaelbert
2009-05-18, 06:50 PM
Wild Moccasins released an EP entitled Microscopic Metronomes.
It has 5 songs, but I can't seem to get all of them anywhere. It appears that you have to live in Houston in order to actually get their stuff. The 4 songs I do have of theirs are amazing though.

Egiam
2009-05-19, 11:07 AM
I LUV 21st Century breakdown!

Songs to check out:
Viva La Gloria!
Viva La Gloria? (little girl)
21 guns (my favorite)
American Eulogy
Know your Enemy
East Jesus Nowhere
Peacemaker

D*** it. Just get the whole album!

Flame of Anor
2009-05-19, 11:27 AM
Thomas Dolby's new album will be the best one of the year, I'm sure of it.