PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Need arcane casting class suggestions

jcsw
2009-05-10, 02:10 AM
Okay, this is a rather unconventional request. In a gestalt game, I've taken War Weaver on one side and Spellguard of Silverymoon on the other, this actually wastes 4 levels of arcane casting progression, but I felt it was worth it to fit in all the important class features by level 12.

Now, planning the next few levels, I've found space for a random dip into another class, and am looking for a good arcane casting class to take advantage of the four wasted arcane casting levels earlier. This is especially worth it as it'd also boost the caster level for my Ur Priest spells.

Answers to anticipated questions:
1. Yes, in this game we're allowed two PrCs at once
2. Don't worry about the Ur Priest Alignment thing, I've got it worked out in the backstory.
3. Don't worry about whether I can take the arcane casting dip *after* the four wasted levels, I've asked and it's been allowed.
4. I'm charisma based (32), but have decently high int (17) and wis (15); I'm a sorcerer cause I need the social skills.

JackMage666
2009-05-10, 03:01 AM
A Ur-Priest with 15 Wis? Hope you're just going for Self-Buffs. You'll need to get that up to 19 (with magic items, I assume), so you'll be able to actually cast 9th level spells.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-05-10, 03:11 AM
Incantatrix 4 with Persistent Spell. Get an item that grants around +15-20 Spellcraft, and always take 10 on the checks to use Metamagic Effect. You can visit the Otyugh Hole detailed in Complete Scoundrel to get Iron Will without spending a feat on it.

Mindbender 1 is a good dip, be sure to take the feat Mindsight from Lords of Madness.

Dragon Slayer 1 is nice, though it takes feats to qualify. Get Iron Will from the Otyugh Hole and you just need Dodge.

Abjurant Champion is good, you get to cast Abjurations of 3rd level and lower as a Swift Action, and your Shield spell can give +9 AC instead of +4. There are a lot of low-level divine abjurations, so this is particularly useful. Racial weapon proficiencies can qualify you for it, or Dragon Slayer grants martial weapon proficiency.

jcsw
2009-05-10, 03:38 AM
Incantatrix 4 with Persistent Spell. Get an item that grants around +15-20 Spellcraft, and always take 10 on the checks to use Metamagic Effect. You can visit the Otyugh Hole detailed in Complete Scoundrel to get Iron Will without spending a feat on it.

Mindbender 1 is a good dip, be sure to take the feat Mindsight from Lords of Madness.

Dragon Slayer 1 is nice, though it takes feats to qualify. Get Iron Will from the Otyugh Hole and you just need Dodge.

Abjurant Champion is good, you get to cast Abjurations of 3rd level and lower as a Swift Action, and your Shield spell can give +9 AC instead of +4. There are a lot of low-level divine abjurations, so this is particularly useful. Racial weapon proficiencies can qualify you for it, or Dragon Slayer grants martial weapon proficiency.

Arcane *base* casting class. Also I already have a symbiont with mindsight. PrCs with their own arcane casting ability work, but I have no space for feats.

And Ur-priest is indeed for divine buffs. Hence the War Weaver (plus southern magician).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-05-10, 03:59 AM
In that case, Hexblade or Duskblade would be useful. Get your Cha bonus to saves vs spells, Mettle, and martial weapon proficiency from Hexblade. Duskblade will boost your Fort save, gives martial weapon proficiency, and Arcane Channeling can be very useful. Duskblade also gets Combat Casting for free, which will let you jump into Abjurant Champion if you want to.

Keld Denar
2009-05-10, 04:36 AM
Suel Arcanamach and Divine Crusader are both cha based casting classes that grant spellcasting. SA only grants Abjuration, Illusion, Divination, and Transmutation up to 5th level, and Divine Crusader gives one whole domain up to 9th level casting. If you are doing the Spellguard + Magic of the Land trick, you can use Divine Crusader to get Divine Power (Competition or War domains) and pump that through your Warweaver weave to grant your whole party full BAB, +6 enhance to str, and a handful of temp HP.

Apostle of Peace also grants spellcasting, but it comes with some pretty hefty RP restrictions, so.....Caveat Emptor.

Chronos
2009-05-10, 02:19 PM
I can't remember the prereqs, but Trapsmith, from Dungeonscape, gets some interesting spellcasting. You only get 1st-3rd level spells, but their spell list has spells at much lower levels than normal (Dispel Magic is a 1st-level spell, for instance, and Wall of Stone is 3rd).