PDA

View Full Version : Any links to the 'hellborn' template?

Jeivar
2009-05-10, 11:00 AM
I've heard about this really cool-sounding D&D template which I THINK is called hellborn: An evil person who has a change of heart upon arriving to the Lower Planes, and is given a second shot at live in order to repent.

Could someone give me a link to this template, and/or correct me if I'm mistaken about the name?

Paramour Pink
2009-05-10, 11:12 AM
I think you mean the Hellbred race from Fiendish Codex 2. It's pretty much a person that was sent to the lower planes but has been given a second chance at life (I may be mis-remembering tho).

RJS (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ps/20061204a): The hellbred race is a great way for players to use much of the material presented in this book and others without having the character be evil. These characters are reborn after the moment of death, when they earnestly repented for the mortal failings. Since devils are unwilling to release such a choice morsel, they fight for the soul, twisting and transforming it into something new. Their bodies are corrupted twisted by evil, yet the gods cleanse their souls, freeing them of the taint and corruption that plagued them in life. These are doomed characters that fight for their redemption.

Given their unique nature, hellbreds have several cool racial features. They gain evil's exception, an ability that allows them to utilize evil magic items and spells without picking up those pesky negative levels. As they advance, they also acquire additional abilities, letting them develop devilish traits. In short, the hellbred is a great option for player's looking to play doomed champions, anti-heroes, and other dark and gloomy characters without having to play an evil alignment.

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-10, 11:14 AM
Hellbred is as much a template as Dragonborn, by the way.

AmberVael
2009-05-10, 11:26 AM
Hellbred is as much a template as Dragonborn, by the way.

No. Dragonborn actually is a template. It may remove almost everything about the base race, but you do use a base race with it.

Hellbred is a stand alone race- you can't apply it as a template.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-05-10, 11:29 AM
It's a race, not a template, and it's in one of the 3.5 Fiends books; probably the one about Devils.

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-10, 11:35 AM
No. Dragonborn actually is a template. It may remove almost everything about the base race, but you do use a base race with it.

Hellbred is a stand alone race- you can't apply it as a template.

It does mention you remember languages you spoke when you were alive under Automatic Languages, so you probably need some way of getting those languages, such as the racial languages.

Baalthazaq
2009-05-10, 02:05 PM
Fiendish Codex 2.

Hellbred. Race. Looking at it now.
Title of the section: New Race: Hellbred.

As for the text:

... Reincarnate the individual to give him one last chance at salvation. This newborn creature, called a hellbred, gains impressive powers.... etc

Aeromyre
2010-06-05, 05:36 PM
It's a race, not a template, and it's in one of the 3.5 Fiends books; probably the one about Devils.

Actually I think it's more of a choice of a DM to work into the story if an evil character (or a party of such) dies then he could give the character(s) a choice of starting over as a Hellbred.

That's exactly what I'm using it for. Since he conveniently didn't make his saving throw my only evil character died.

Thurbane
2010-06-05, 06:57 PM
Actually, I think I have seen a Hellborn template in a 3rd party 3.X book...can't remember which one. Maybe it was Hellspawn.

This is the one I was thinking of (homebrew): http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Hellspawn_%283.5e_Template%29