PDA

View Full Version : characters that will never see the light of play

yilduz
2009-05-10, 01:00 PM
Do you ever make characters that you never intend to be played? Have you ever just come up with a joke concept that you think would be fun to try, but it just ends up being too ridiculous to even put in game? If so, talk about them here. Let them have their moment to shine. Even though they'll never have a chance to slay a dragon, maybe they'll split the side of a few forum members. :smalltongue:

I thought about creating this thread because of a joke character I thought about while reading a thread here. What do you think of a Cleric of Scientology? What kind of domains do you think a follower of Tom Cruise should take? o_O

:smallwink:

Flickerdart
2009-05-10, 01:07 PM
Pun-Pun, Omniscificer and other similar attempts at theoretical optimization, as well as Tippy-like Batmen Wizards, Cindy and chain-gated Solar-powered Epic spells.

V'icternus
2009-05-10, 01:08 PM
I made a 4e Dragonborn Fighter and gave him over 100 in every ability score, gave him every item, magical or not, that I could think of, and gave him the best magical weapons and armour I could.

He was level 1, and he couldn't die, thanks to cheating.

Of course, talking legal characters, I made a goblin rogue who just so happens to have a thing for the undergarments of his party members...

I pretty much ensured that he would never, ever be played in a serious campaign. Although, if a joke campaign comes up...

FMArthur
2009-05-10, 01:13 PM
I have never played with a party that comes anywhere near the level of optimization coming from boards I visit (particularly this one); as a result, I spend a lot of time coming up with complex builds with synergistic multiclassing, feats, and items, but end up playing a Swashbuckler or something instead. :smallannoyed:

evisiron
2009-05-10, 03:04 PM
I don't think so...

Our roster includes such characters as
-Optimus Priime (warforged with ray-gun)
-Cat Woman (just an old lady with several cat only Bags of Tricks)
-Jefthro the Retarded Slug (a player was pretty late, so I let the players make his character sheet for the session. He ended up being a fairly powerful cleric).

My friend is currently deciding between a Nation worshipping cleric and a Sea Cleric hunting the dreaded land whale.
My girlfriend is planning a naked-except-for-warpaint gnome barbarian for the same campaign.

The concepts start odd, but actually develop into well fleshed out characters. :smallbiggrin:

Dhavaer
2009-05-10, 03:12 PM
Yeska, the obsessively multiclassed Hexblade/Warblade/Suel Arcanamach/Abjurant Champion/Dragonslayer/Jade Phoenix Mage/Dragon Disciple.

Vorpal Soda
2009-05-10, 03:26 PM
One idea for a character I had was a female magic user of a class where the fluff has the ability to use magic bestowed upon them by an external source, or is innate. This character would wear your typical skintight fantasy outfit that is extremely revealing to the point where it couldn't possibly remain skintight in real life unless painted on or glued on. This outfit however, is not only impossibly figure hugging, it's actually fused irremovably into her skin, and is actually a rare aberration that binds with humanoids, and provides them with spellcasting abilities whilst living off of them in a symbiotic relationship, and no, it doesn't try to take over their body or turn them evil.

Yes, yet another fantasy female character whose clothes could only function if they're actually part of her body, and for once, that's actually the case. Of course, this does mean she's not capable of having sex anymore, which kind of nullifies the whole point of typical fantasy clothing for women.

Here's a basic idea for what she'd look like (http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=erelsia.png). In this picture, the purple sections are the fleshy parts of the aberration, the brownish and greyish parts are her actual clothes, and the aberration has lots of bony parts growing out as well, which are yes, fused to her skin as well, and she can't remove or retract them.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-05-10, 03:35 PM
Three words:

"Collateral Damage Man"

That is all.

Godskook
2009-05-10, 03:54 PM
Somewhere, I read about a sorcerer PC who went around pretending to be a wizard, so that people would presume him to be an easy prisoner, since he couldn't 'prepare' new spells. Right. A pseudo-wizard, if you will.

I wanted to go further with the idea. A pseudo-pseudo-wizard. Using Craft(tattoo) and the Geometer prestige class, create a wizard who gets captured and imprisoned, can start casting his way out the next day, confusing the hell out of my captors and fellow adventurers all at once:)

evisiron
2009-05-10, 04:00 PM
Three words:

"Collateral Damage Man"

That is all.

Hehe, reminds me of our next summer blockbuster superhero movie: Captain H-Bomb!
The movie is 4 minutes long...

Olo Demonsbane
2009-05-10, 04:01 PM
Tell me about it. My "Current" Character section, which is pretty much all the PCs Ive actually played is 3.395 times smaller than my Other Characters and Monstrous Characters.

And thats not including my builds folder. Which is considerable and very cheezy.

Faleldir
2009-05-10, 04:30 PM
I want to play an Awakened Wolverine Bear Warrior.

LOLC2k
2009-05-10, 04:40 PM
One idea for a character I had was a female magic user of a class where the fluff has the ability to use magic bestowed upon them by an external source, or is innate. This character would wear your typical skintight fantasy outfit that is extremely revealing to the point where it couldn't possibly remain skintight in real life unless painted on or glued on. This outfit however, is not only impossibly figure hugging, it's actually fused irremovably into her skin, and is actually a rare aberration that binds with humanoids, and provides them with spellcasting abilities whilst living off of them in a symbiotic relationship, and no, it doesn't try to take over their body or turn them evil.

Yes, yet another fantasy female character whose clothes could only function if they're actually part of her body, and for once, that's actually the case. Of course, this does mean she's not capable of having sex anymore, which kind of nullifies the whole point of typical fantasy clothing for women.

Here's a basic idea for what she'd look like (http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=erelsia.png). In this picture, the purple sections are the fleshy parts of the aberration, the brownish and greyish parts are her actual clothes, and the aberration has lots of bony parts growing out as well, which are yes, fused to her skin as well, and she can't remove or retract them.

...how does she pee?

Zergrusheddie
2009-05-10, 04:49 PM
What was the Emperor Tippy Batman? :smallconfused:

d13
2009-05-10, 04:49 PM
Tell me about it. My "Current" Character section, which is pretty much all the PCs Ive actually played is 3.395 times smaller than my Other Characters and Monstrous Characters.

And thats not including my builds folder. Which is considerable and very cheezy.

Not to mention your free time, which seems to be like indefinitely higher xDDDD

No offense meant

Coidzor
2009-05-10, 04:51 PM

Actually, I think the point of such clothing is more to distract and take advantage of others than for any actual sexual gratification anyway, and so someone who can't but uses it seems to be perfectly-...... wait... How does she go to the BATHROOM!?:smalleek:

"Collateral Damage Man"

Tell me more tell me more tell me more tell me more

Pun-Pun, Omniscificer and other similar attempts at theoretical optimization, as well as Tippy-like Batmen Wizards, Cindy and chain-gated Solar-powered Epic spells.

I'm familiar with all of these concepts except for this... Cindy, of which you speak. Should I fear enlightenment as one fears seeing anything in a Call of Cthulu game?

The Glyphstone
2009-05-10, 04:51 PM
...how does she pee?

Actually, I think the point of such clothing is more to distract and take advantage of others than for any actual sexual gratification anyway, and so someone who can't but uses it seems to be perfectly-...... wait... How does she go to the BATHROOM!?:smalleek:

The abberation needs nourishment, doesn't it?

Roderick_BR
2009-05-10, 05:26 PM
(...) What do you think of a Cleric of Scientology? What kind of domains do you think a follower of Tom Cruise should take? o_O(...)
A "cleric of scientology" could be played with an Archivist, I think. Would be an interesting concept.

I want to make someday a cloistered cleric with all the vows in the BoED, and tons of devotion and domain feats (and some DMM ones), but I don't know if a DM would allow me to use it.

Zaq
2009-05-10, 05:30 PM
Well, there's my roommate's character concept, Squiddy the Paladin, the character designed to use some of the most byzantine and headache-inducing rules 3.5 has to offer and make the GM hate you.

He's a paladin (as his name implies) with Vow of Nonviolence/Peace. He's got a celestial squid mount (we found some way of making it viable on land, I don't remember the details). He's got enough effective cleric level-boosting items to make turning undead not an exercise in futility. He has a legacy item, an intelligent sword that doesn't agree with being used to do nonlethal damage. He has plenty of ranks in various Craft skills and crafts ridiculously overcomplex items in his spare time.

So, he not only grapples but also grapples while mounted (mounted combat and grappling together! Yay!), he uses the poorly defined crafting rules (oh sure it LOOKS fine, but trust me, there's a LOT of gray areas there), he's got the whole vow of peace going on, he's got a legacy weapon, he's got an intelligent item, said intelligent item disagrees with him, and he turns undead ("Turning Undead: Looking up stuff on multiple tables is still fun, right?") whenever he gets the chance. I don't know a single GM, myself allowed, who'd deal with the rule headache, but he's a fun exercise in "just how obnoxious can we make this guy?"

I've got sort of a file of characters I doubt I'll ever get to play, but that's more because I don't have enough time than because they're inherently unpleasant.

Seatbelt
2009-05-10, 05:34 PM
Pretty much anything from Tomb of Battle. My group has this weird thing about optimization. Spellcasters can be as powerful as you want them to be, but if you optimize a melee character you're a munchkin.

Flickerdart
2009-05-10, 06:03 PM
Pretty much anything from Tomb of Battle. My group has this weird thing about optimization. Spellcasters can be as powerful as you want them to be, but if you optimize a melee character you're a munchkin.
Tomb of Battle? Is that a fighting style that uses 10ft poles?:smalltongue:

Coidzor
2009-05-10, 06:19 PM
The abberation needs nourishment, doesn't it?

Great, another race of pervert aliens. :smallwink:

SurlySeraph
2009-05-10, 07:38 PM
A Troll wizard. Obviously, most of his power would come from being a troll rather than from his spells; his spells would consist mostly of buffs to use on himself. Personality-wise he would be very serious and studious, and care a lot about magic. Think a less sarcastic 9-foot-tall green Vaarsuvius.
He would, of course, wear purple robes, a pointy hat, and a monocle.

TheThan
2009-05-10, 09:46 PM
Lets see:

There was the gnome wizard who had a day job as a stage magician. That’s right he kept a rabbit in his hat and pigeons up his sleeves. Though now days I think a beguiler is a better fit.

There was the orc tavern wench, actually got to play her but it didn’t last long enough for me to really get behind the character. Used a sprinkling of BOEF (yes that one), it was a really tongue in cheek game (no pun intended).

There was the orc gigolo/exotic dancer (he was male). Rejected character for the above. Ultimately the 6’8 orc tavern wench with the bad attitude and the strength to knock most people across a room won out (not to mention the huge boobs).

Then there was a ranger character I created who was basically a play on Paul Bunyan. He wield a two handed axe had an ox as an animal companion. The only problem is that the ranger class isn’t a 100% fit for the character, so I never got to build him.

Then there is the transformer. It’s a warforged urban druid. The urban druid replaces wildshape with a funky version that allows you to transform into inanimate objects.

SilentNight
2009-05-10, 10:00 PM
Far too many to list here. One of my favorites though was an elven baker who, in the spirit on the Blue Rajah, could kill a man with just about anything, mostly a cinnamon roll. (3d6+6 damage, 8 or so attacks/round)

Shpadoinkle
2009-05-10, 10:29 PM
Far too many to list here. One of my favorites though was an elven baker who, in the spirit on the Blue Rajah, could kill a man with just about anything, mostly a cinnamon roll. (3d6+6 damage, 8 or so attacks/round)

I'm curious about the feat/class combination that would allow something like that.

Knaight
2009-05-10, 10:43 PM
If your basing him off the Blue Raja, then at least have the decency to give him a color in his name, and clothing which covers the rest of the colors. Plus it would be fun to use spoons instead of forks, and actually effectively.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-05-11, 12:06 AM
I'm probably going to make several characters over the summer, to prepare for a campaign that'll hopefully start in the fall. I want to have a number of different options, so I can gauge which one I should use, depending on the rest of the party.

Or I could just play a Factotum. :smallbiggrin: