PDA

View Full Version : Good music for dark campaigns

Silence
2009-05-10, 02:27 PM
I'm about to start running a horror D20 modern campaign on MythWeavers (check the recruitment section if interested, it's called Hell Speaks Unto Earth), and I wanted to post some music to listen to for the campaign to get players in the mood. I had a GM that did this once during a great campaign, and it really helped.

Currently, I've got the albums Iowa by Slipknot and The Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails, along with the song the begging is the end is the beginning by Smashing Pumpkins. Any suggestions for good mood music?

MickJay
2009-05-10, 02:41 PM
Some of the older Nightwish songs could fit nicely.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-05-10, 02:52 PM
Since it's modern horror, you might want to try some Velvet Acid Christ - that stuff gets pretty oppressive. Sample song on YouTube. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oUn9g4f2T0)

Then there's basically any and all music from Requiem for a Dream.

The nature ambient soundtrack CD for Blair Witch 2.

If you're using NIN already, then there's always Chemlab and Tool.

Silent Hill soundtracks, including the movie's. Aw yeah. Can't go wrong with that stuff.

Twin Peaks music.

Silence
2009-05-10, 02:55 PM
Thanks guys!

Shadowbane
2009-05-10, 03:01 PM
I think maybe some Nightwish stuff, or some Within Temptation. Not sure.

Swooper
2009-05-10, 06:48 PM
Portishead has some creepy ambient music. My group sometimes uses one of their albums (the one that shares its title with the band) to get that dark mood.

I can also recommend Theatre of Tragedy (before they started doing electro-pop, Aégis is a good album), maybe some Therion (say, Vovin? Not very creepy per se, but it could fit some scenes pretty well), Moonspell, Tiamat... Even Lacuna Coil might have some good tracks for the mood. One of their songs (Swamped from Comalies) was used in the V:tM computer game.

Edit: As much as I love Nightwish, they're too upbeat to work in this case, I think.